• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

I would wait for the announcement that the 8.1 update is out for the 1520. The prices are dropping pretty quickly for them on eBay, you may be able to get the phone for $300 in another month or two, then immediately update it to 8.1.

But what if I want the 1520 32GB AT&T unicorn version? :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
But what if I want the 1520 32GB AT&T unicorn version? :(

That version is still rare and expensive on eBay, unfortunately. And half the time, its the 16gb version that the seller gets the wrong storage on. The 32gb version only comes in black on at&t afaik.

edit: honestly, once I confirm that apps on SD works exactly as advertised, I won't care anymore about getting the 16gb version rather than the 32gb.

monome

In case it wasn't clear enough, the Lumia 520 will get Windows Phone 8.1, including Cortana, with the next firmware update, called Lumia Cyan. That update will also upgrade Nokia Drive to Drive+.

My only pb with the 520 is I want it to keep working long enough so that even entry price Lumias have a HD screen when I'm in for a replacement.

Walshicus

I've started noticing that the volume of music on my Lumia 920 through headphones gradually increases through the day. Right now I'm on volume 1 and it's perfectly audible. Going up to 15 is nearly deafening...

Anyone else get that?

Lucifon

The lack of SD card on the 930 means that I'm gonna go with the cheaper 635.

Why Nokia insist on not having SD card slots on their flagship phones, I don't know...

It's weird, whilst the 920 was their flagship last year it doesn't feel like this is the case for the 930. With its announcement at build, and it effectively being a rebranded Icon. It feels like their true flagship is still yet to be announced, later in the year I imagine.

NeOak

That version is still rare and expensive on eBay, unfortunately. And half the time, its the 16gb version that the seller gets the wrong storage on. The 32gb version only comes in black on at&t afaik.

edit: honestly, once I confirm that apps on SD works exactly as advertised, I won't care anymore about getting the 16gb version rather than the 32gb.

Its basically the same price if I buy it from AT&T brand new. eBay prices are 600 bucks for the single one there. Oh, and a random red one that it's 16GB yet is advertised as 32GB.

But if apps installed to the SD work fine, I'm getting a 16GB then and that 128GB microSD.

A good read for anyone interested in how WP8.1 changes things for developers/apps

http://wp.qmatteoq.com/windows-phone-8-1-a-lap-around-the-new-development-features/
However, there’s another series of things that are important to keep in mind when you have to make this choice: there is a list of features that, for timing and resources issues, the team wasn’t able to make available in both frameworks. For this reason, if you choose to develop a Windows Phone app, you won’t be allowed to:

• Use the APIs to interact with the clipboard
  • Define your app as a lock screen provider, so that it can change the lockscreen’s wallpaper
  • Define your app as a ringtone provider
  • Use Alarm and Reminders
  • Develop a Lens App (which are photographic apps that can be integrated with the native camera app)
  • Keep an app running under the lock screen
  • Use the Continuous Background Tracking APIs, that can be used to continuosly track the user’s position even when the app is not in foreground
  • Use VoIP APIs
  • Use the CameraCaptureTask, which is the chooser that can be used to take a picture with the native camera app and import into your application

On the other side, if you develop a 8.1 application using the Silverlight framework you won’t be able to:
  • Use the old APIs to manage background audio. You will have to migrate to the new Windows Runtime APIs or keep your application as a Windows Phone 8.0 app
  • Make use of the new XAML framework, which is able to fully support devices with different screen sizes
  • Use the new XAML controls, like Hub or GridView
  • Use the new APIs to edit videos
  • Use the new Visual Studio tools for profiling and coded UI tests

It should be clear now that the framework’s choice can’t be based just on the type of application (new or existing one) but also on the features you want to use: if, for example, you’re developing a Lens App or an images catalogue app which acts as a lock screen provider, you’ll be forced to develop a Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 app.

Well, that's annoying. I use the Lock screen providers on Anitro and from what I've heard, quite a few people use that feature in the App. On the other hand though, I also get plenty of requests to port it to Windows 8 and I have been looking forward to doing a UI Redesign using the new XAML controls. Hmm, choices, choices.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Just picked up my Lumia 925
Thing is beautiful. Charging it right now so I'll give impressions later.

At the AT&T store I looked at the 1520 and holy shit, how does any man own that phone? That doesn't fit in any pocket I have. Definitely a purse phone.

NeOak

At the AT&T store I looked at the 1520 and holy shit, how does any man own that phone? That doesn't fit in any pocket I have. Definitely a purse phone.

Tight jeans are uncool, man.

Now that you have your phone, if you want the new 8.1 Features they showed off yesterday once the preview comes out, go here. Otherwise you'll have to wait until the Summer for when your Carrier releases the Update.

http://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/featured/devpreview

Mr.Swag

Banned
I do own tight jeans, but its not even that, I feel like if I were to put that phone in my basketball shorts pockets it would weigh me down.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I'm attempting to download the halo game that's on sale today for $2, and I have really slow wifi at home. Wondering if the phone will download the game in the background while I do other things.

Loving it so far. Got me Instagram, Bing Finance, and Office Lens which sounds amazing.

NeOak

I'm attempting to download the halo game that's on sale today for $2, and I have really slow wifi at home. Wondering if the phone will download the game in the background while I do other things.

Loving it so far. Got me Instagram, Bing Finance, and Office Lens which sounds amazing.

Yes it will keep downloading it.

Itll be my first halo game ever, kinda just want to check out what this phone can do. Don't really have an interest in gaming any more

Flowerz is the GOAT WP game. I've gotten five people addicted to the game (at least for a couple of weeks). For some reason it sucks me in every month or so for a couple of days.

Okay, I was told few times today that a two column layout is not possible on 1080p phones, because the live tile resolution would be too low. The option is only for lower res phones.

…

dLMN8R

WELL

I....er.....now own a brand new 1520!

WPGAF - you have 14 days to convince me this was a mistake. So far I don't think it is!

I was browsing used 1520s and the lowest price I could find was on Craigslist for ~$350. No guarantees on quality or seller credibility of course. On eBay and Amazon it was around $450.

The ATT store had them brand new for $585. I checked out the ATT Next program, which I'm eligible for. I'd heard about it but wasn't really interested until they told me that, if you're on the 20-month pay-off plan, you can trade it in after 12 months.

So...after 12 months I can trade it in, and I will have paid less than I would have paid if I bought a used one off eBay or Amazon. I won't get any money back for selling it of course, but I figure a year from now the 1520 might not be worth enough anyway? Certainly not if I were to buy a used one today.

NeOak

WELL

I....er.....now own a brand new 1520!

WPGAF - you have 14 days to convince me this was a mistake. So far I don't think it is!

I was browsing used 1520s and the lowest price I could find was on Craigslist for ~$350. No guarantees on quality or seller credibility of course. On eBay and Amazon it was around $450.

The ATT store had them brand new for $585. I checked out the ATT Next program, which I'm eligible for. I'd heard about it but wasn't really interested until they told me that, if you're on the 20-month pay-off plan, you can trade it in after 12 months.

So...after 12 months I can trade it in, and I will have paid less than I would have paid if I bought a used one off eBay or Amazon. I won't get any money back for selling it of course, but I figure a year from now the 1520 might not be worth enough anyway? Certainly not if I were to buy a used one today.

Y U DO DIS?

Persona7

Banned
Does anyone here use the T-Mobile family plan? Are there any downsides? As far as I can tell it says there are no contracts but it wants to run a credit check.

I looked at the map and it seems they really upgraded coverage in my area

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The verge did a write up on why the Next program isn't a good deal. A big part of it is not being able to sell the phone away. That's usually about $200 or more right there.

PG2G

I don't think I have ever actually sold a phone at the end of contract. I always keep them for a backup.

Though I guess WP7 devices were never worth anything anyway lol

Herr K

Banned

Get 6tag instead of Instagram. It's a 3rd party app developed by a really talented French developer.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I gave up my regular plan for a family share plan and I think I made a huge mistake because now I don't have two year phone upgrades. I'd have to use next or go all European and buy unsubsidized. Ugh.

MCD

I'm very happy with my 1020 despite the poor battery life. Will not upgrade to 930 even though it was always what I wanted: a full HD 5 inch WP.

frontieruk

I gave up my regular plan for a family share plan and I think I made a huge mistake because now I don't have two year phone upgrades. I'd have to use next or go all European and buy unsubsidized. Ugh.

Pfft we can do both, infact the latest scam here is to separate phone cost and tariff and have one higher rate to pay and allow you to swap phones at any point in your contract.

I'm pondering picking up a 625 to get on on the 8.1 action.

f0lken

Itll be my first halo game ever, kinda just want to check out what this phone can do. Don't really have an interest in gaming any more

Then download Asphalt 8, is pretty good and the graphics are excelent. if you use FB download the Facebook beta instead of the official one.

MCD

Oh yeah, one thing I didn't see mentioned at all: is GIF supported in photo hub? lastflowers plz

dLMN8R

The verge did a write up on why the Next program isn't a good deal. A big part of it is not being able to sell the phone away. That's usually about $200 or more right there.

I read that write-up and it's purely from the context of someone who already has an upgrade available to them through subsidy.

I do not - my options were to either buy a used or new phone at full price. Through AT&T Next I can still pay off the device in full at any time and own it completely without trading it in, and then I can sell it for however much someone wants to pay me.

Or, after 12 months I can trade it in without paying off the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom