• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magni

I'm having a lot of fun developing a WP app, but it's insane how many basic features are missing, how much documentation is missing/hard to find, and how some simple things are so convoluted.

Examples:

Hint property in textboxes, missing. You can use PhoneTextBox from the WP Toolkit, but that still doesn't give you a Hint property for PasswordBox or AutocompleteTextBox etc

Custom radio buttons, way too complicated. I want my radio buttons to be images (this is for a privacy control, the radio button for public is a globe, the one for private is a lock, you get the idea), and for the checked/unchecked status to be the image's color. I managed to get close with templates, but you can't paint an image in XAML. Confusingly, you can set a SolidColorBrush as an Image's OpacityMask, but that only takes the Alpha value from the Brush, and ignores the rest. :(

NeOak

I read that write-up and it's purely from the context of someone who already has an upgrade available to them through subsidy.

I do not - my options were to either buy a used or new phone at full price. Through AT&T Next I can still pay off the device in full at any time and own it completely without trading it in, and then I can sell it for however much someone wants to pay me.

Or, after 12 months I can trade it in without paying off the rest.

I still have an upgrade... In November.

I'm feeling the itch for the Unicorn 1520 D:

Nokia has clarified why the 930/Icon doesn't have Glance

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-930-does-not-have-glance-heres-why

So much for a 920 successor. What a load of bullshit that device is. And they want $550 for it, too. The Lumia releases of the past 18 months have been pretty underwhelming. There's always one stupid thing that ruins the party. No Qi in the 925, no 720p display and 1GB in the 720 (despite costing as much as a Nexus 4), 525 being a rehash of the 520 for $200, 630/635 lacking camera button and flash, 1520 being ridiculously huge ...

Sucks to have no choice within the same ecosystem.

hadareud

The Translator
Not entirely sure how the device is a load of bullshit, but glance missing is a bit shit.

What else is missing/bullshit about it?

kharma45

So much for a 920 successor. What a load of bullshit that device is. And they want $550 for it, too. The Lumia releases of the past 18 months have been pretty underwhelming. There's always one stupid thing that ruins the party. No Qi in the 925, no 720p display and 1GB in the 720 (despite costing as much as a Nexus 4), 525 being a rehash of the 520 for $200, 630/635 lacking camera button and flash, 1520 being ridiculously huge ...

Yeah I'm not that excited about the 930. No Glance, no SD card slot and the colour outside of black and white look pretty hideous. I don't know why we could've have had this phone months ago too if all it was going to be the Icon with a name change plus Qi charging.

You're right about the last 18 months, some really terrible decisions being made on the devices.

The Flash

Banned
So I've decided to get a Windows phone but am not sure how to go about it. I do know that I'd like to get a Nokia Lumia and that I want to use a prepaid Straight Talk sim card with it but I've heard that they don't work with AT&T or something. An unlocked 920 is going for a reasonable price but I've heard some negatives about it. Any advice?

920 has been the best handset to date. 1020 would edge it only for that hideous camera bump.

José Mourinho;106848566 said:
920 has been the best handset to date. 1020 would edge it only for that hideous camera bump.
I love the camera hump and the matte finished on 1020 make it way superior to the 920, not to mention the weight. The bump make it unique and I always get comment about my phone because people notice the giant camera.

On another note, Nokia just seems to be coasting along since acquisition.

PG2G

It sounds like they are working on some interesting stuff for later in the year and early next. Phone with dual cameras and also the one that is supposed to have some unique gesturing stuff.

I wouldn't say they are coasting though, takes time to come up with really innovative stuff. Look at Apple and the Android OEMs.

zedge

I'm rather disappointed too. My 920 feels like a tank now that my N5 is the daily driver. Its not comfortable to use at all in comparison. What is it with Nokia and fat hefty phones? The 925 looked really nice but its running on two year old hardware now. If I did get a new WP device in the future it will likely be by another manufacturer so I can get something thin, light, and comfortable to hold with up to date specs.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't use glance so I would be happy with the 930.

Also, I'm currently on holidays and have been using the 920 as a camera only with data and WiFi off and it has been great. Pictures look really nice and I haven't had to charge it for almost 5 days.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This dutch article someone linked on Reddit indicates that the Cortana beta will work as long as your language is set to English. Doesn't appear you need to set your location to the US.

Good news if true!

nillapuddin

I know we have this inside joke in this thread, where I ask/complain about lack of sprint phones, and yall dont reply, its pretty hilarious, and I do get a kick out of it, but Im wondering if we could change it up for a bit.

I honestly dont understand how these hardware announcements work, do we not know the carriers? do "we" and just I dont?

I really want to jump in but with Sprint Im so limited, I dont want to have to move my family plan (awesome grandfathered rates) but if this drought persists, it will force my hand I think.

PG2G

I know we have this inside joke in this thread, where I ask/complain about lack of sprint phones, and yall dont reply, its pretty hilarious, and I do get a kick out of it, but Im wondering if we could change it up for a bit.

I honestly dont understand how these hardware announcements work, do we not know the carriers? do "we" and just I dont?

I really want to jump in but with Sprint Im so limited, I dont want to have to move my family plan (awesome grandfathered rates) but if this drought persists, it will force my hand I think.

Typically Nokia announced the devices (sometimes alongside the carrier, but that is probably for exclusives like Verizon and the Icon) and the carriers announce what they are picking up.

As far as we know, the 930 won't be available in the US (they said their focus is on the Icon). T-Mobile and AT&T have announced support for the 635.

Think Sprint is in the unfortunate position of being both CDMA and unpopular.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Shape writing is so bad ass.

This post was shape written.

I never used swype so I don't know how they compare.

Shape writing is so bad ass.

This post was shape written.

I never used swype so I don't know how they compare.

I feel soooo uncomfortable using shape writing. I can understand why people like it though. It was a phone blocker for my brother. He's now excited to check out WP, his fiancé has it and likes it a lot.

no Glance is some bullshit and I don't buy their excuse.

if it is an issue with the type of display they use then Glance Peek and Interval would still be option.

my suspicion says it's a patent issue and Nokia doesn't wanna play that game until the sale to MS completes. maybe then Glance will return.

So I've decided to get a Windows phone but am not sure how to go about it. I do know that I'd like to get a Nokia Lumia and that I want to use a prepaid Straight Talk sim card with it but I've heard that they don't work with AT&T or something. An unlocked 920 is going for a reasonable price but I've heard some negatives about it. Any advice?
I had an AT&T 920 on Straight Talk and it worked great. I don't think it was even unlocked. I might be in the market to sell mine since I'm on T-Mobile now. PM me if interested.

Totakeke

Oh yey, finally.

no Glance is some bullshit and I don't buy their excuse.

if it is an issue with the type of display they use then Glance Peek and Interval would still be option.

my suspicion says it's a patent issue and Nokia doesn't wanna play that game until the sale to MS completes. maybe then Glance will return.

Even if your supposition is true, it's still the same thing. It's an issue of cost.

nillapuddin

Typically Nokia announced the devices (sometimes alongside the carrier, but that is probably for exclusives like Verizon and the Icon) and the carriers announce what they are picking up.

As far as we know, the 930 won't be available in the US (they said their focus is on the Icon). T-Mobile and AT&T have announced support for the 635.

Think Sprint is in the unfortunate position of being both CDMA and unpopular.

FFS, okay, (Im not under any conditions buying that Samsung) so my options are the HTC forced purple phone, or take my business elsewhere, ugh

Well thanks for the clarification PG2G, I wasnt sure if we knew of any carriers yet.
One of those dual-sim's would be a god send for my GF so she could have a work number
: /

PG2G

Hope they detail the improvements to all of the apps soon. That is half the story here.

Or maybe we just assume that they are universal apps and we're getting something that matches Windows 8.1

f0lken

Hope they detail the improvements to all of the apps soon. That is half the story here.

Or maybe we just assume that they are universal apps and we're getting something that matches Windows 8.1

Bring that Flipboard to me T_T.

On the topic of the 930 and Glance, while I'm sad that it doesn't support Glance nor have SD Card Support, I think I'll still pick up the 930 as my next. I just rank built in Wireless charging much higher than Glance, even though I do use my glance alot.

This dutch article someone linked on Reddit indicates that the Cortana beta will work as long as your language is set to English. Doesn't appear you need to set your location to the US.

Good news if true!
Please be true. Please be true. Please be true.

So now that this update out, is Windows Phone on part with Android? Like Jellybean at least?
...You're reading my mind. I just switched tabs to post this.

For people who have experience using Android or iOS, what are the major features which Windows Phone doesn't have. I sort of know stuff from the Windows Phone side with the SDK deficiencies, but I'm clueless when it comes to the other platforms.

dLMN8R

This 1520 is pretty ridiculous. I think I'm returning it tomorrow. Just wayyyyy too big to ever be comfortable to use, looks absolutely stupid when talking on the phone. I'm also not too impressed with the camera - seems about the same as the 920 to me in some ad-hoc shots.

Might just see if I can get my 920 repaired. Someone working at the AT&T store said there's a reliable repair shop nearby that can repair 920s for $100.

This 1520 is pretty ridiculous. I think I'm returning it tomorrow. Just wayyyyy too big to ever be comfortable to use, looks absolutely stupid when talking on the phone. I'm also not too impressed with the camera - seems about the same as the 920 to me in some ad-hoc shots.

Might just see if I can get my 920 repaired. Someone working at the AT&T store said there's a reliable repair shop nearby that can repair 920s for $100.
WPGAF - you have 14 days to convince me this was a mistake. So far I don't think it is!
Well, that didn't take long!

Can't say I blame you though, announcing that the new flagship will not be in the US outside of Verizon with no other mention of a high-end WP for AT&T customers this spring or summer. Is AT&T/Nokia really going to not have a new high-end 4.5-5 inch device until what a assume a timed exclusive contract for the Icon runs out?

dLMN8R

Yeah, I thought I could get used to the 1520 at first, but using it on the bus and throughout the day (including talking to my wife with it) definitely revealed its weaknesses.

And even though I'm a shallow tool saying this, I also feel embarrassed just taking it out of my pocket to use in public to text or anything else non-voice. It's just stupid-large.

Oh well, not the end of the world :) My 920's served me very well these last 18 months, and even with a broken screen it's been fine for the last 1-2 months.

Herr K

Banned
Yeah, I thought I could get used to the 1520 at first, but using it on the bus and throughout the day (including talking to my wife with it) definitely revealed its weaknesses.

And even though I'm a shallow tool saying this, I also feel embarrassed just taking it out of my pocket to use in public to text or anything else non-voice. It's just stupid-large.

Oh well, not the end of the world :) My 920's served me very well these last 18 months, and even with a broken screen it's been fine for the last 1-2 months.

Give it a few more days. You'll get used to it. It's a great phone, really.

Ape

Banned

The 920 is the god phone.

FFS, okay, (Im not under any conditions buying that Samsung) so my options are the HTC forced purple phone, or take my business elsewhere, ugh

Well thanks for the clarification PG2G, I wasnt sure if we knew of any carriers yet.
One of those dual-sim's would be a god send for my GF so she could have a work number
: /

The OP mentions phones for Sprint somewhere. That should help.

Fjolle

Oh, come on.

Yea, it's probably just because I bought a budget android device, and maybe if I fuck around with a debugger long enough I'll find out that it's some stupid app I've installed. But I still find it frustrating.

So now that this update out, is Windows Phone on part with Android? Like Jellybean at least?

I haven't seen the keynote, buy while the notification center is there, you can't interact with notifications, like you can on Android. It was rumored, but I haven't seen it mentioned.

Persona7

Banned
damn it

I signed up for t mobile and it said the activation fee would not be charged but I got a email saying they are charging me an activation fee for several lines.

Tomcat

Oh, come on.

as an nexus 7 tablet user I would change that to "Lag whenever you look at it" lol

off course some things are better on android but many stuff are better on windows phones and you can easily understand it when you are using both of them. Especially smoothness and speed.

as for interactive notifications they sound good in practice but I only have seen them on gmail and never use them since I want to read the email first before doing anything else. Unless you get a small message and you can read it all in the notification bar I don't see them as particular useful. What other apps use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom