• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have they mentioned if there will also be a limit on how many apps are able to run the new background tasks (for non-Silverlight apps)? Or now that tasks are more specific and intensive tasks are only run when plugged in there will be no limit at all?

I wonder if I would think the 1520 was too big if I hadn't put on like 20 pounds myself in the past few years. Phone for fatties? But it works for me. Fits in every pocket even with a bulky wallet case, I can type and use it one handed, and talking on it looks fine. Guess I have a big head.

Oh one thing that is still disappointing about the 1520 and now about WP8.1 is that they didn't announce new bigger tile sizes, so apparently I'm still going to be stuck with this home screen that looks like a Japanese website from 2008.

NeOak

Oh one thing that is still disappointing about the 1520 and now about WP8.1 is that they didn't announce new bigger tile sizes, so apparently I'm still going to be stuck with this home screen that looks like a Japanese website from 2008.

Geocities, 1999.

nillapuddin

The OP mentions phones for Sprint somewhere. That should help.

Yeah I was just hoping that these new phones would have a chance at coming to Sprint

le sigh, now I just need to move an 8 line, 16 year long Sprint contract to a new carrier...

yeah, not happening. fml.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Dammit, I want a new phone already. Sucks that Apple and Nokia have moved to Fall for their flagships. Also disappointed with the S5 and M8, I'm not tempted by either flagship.

Wait until you can use anime chicks as background for your tiles!

dLMN8R

Give it a few more days. You'll get used to it. It's a great phone, really.

Nah, I just don't like it. Using a phone with one hand is more important to me that I realized (for example, sitting on the bus holding a coffee in my other hand)

Does anyone want stickers that look similar to this:
I-Love-Windows-Phone-8.png

I've got ~50 or so of them. They're about 2inches by 7 inches, guesstimate.

hadareud

The Translator
There's a really interesting Cortana session on right now at Build.

Fascinating stuff, technology wise. With all the work that's gone in and how smart it is, I might actually not mind quite as much making a fool of myself and talking to her.

There's a really interesting Cortana session on right now at Build.

Fascinating stuff, technology wise. With all the work that's gone in and how smart it is, I might actually not mind quite as much making a fool of myself and talking to her.
Honestly, I think one of the killer features of Cortana is going to be that we can use her with just text if we dont feel like talking in public. That should be pretty cool.

GWX

Honestly, I think one of the killer features of Cortana is going to be that we can use her with just text if we dont feel like talking in public. That should be pretty cool.

This does sound pretty awesome. I've always been impressed by the contextual interpretation of Siri, but I despise actually talking to make use of such funcionality. Cortana seems to have this issue covered, though :)

I haven't seen the keynote, buy while the notification center is there, you can't interact with notifications, like you can on Android. It was rumored, but I haven't seen it mentioned.

You mean like if get a notification light, I awake the phone and scroll down, I saw a little whatsap logo with the number 5 next to it, if I click the icon nothing happens?

This does sound pretty awesome. I've always been impressed by the contextual interpretation of Siri, but I despise actually talking to make use of such funcionality. Cortana seems to have this issue covered, though :)

Not trying to troll but this is already being done with Google now.

Blackhead

Redarse

wmpoweruser said:
He suggested a Web service was coming to let users manage their backed up SMS messages.

[–]BucIt 1 hour ago

Can you search or manually backup/download Sms? I keep texts with some people. And to g back in its history months ago, takes forever to sit there and scroll and scroll and scroll…

BAADFOOD 58 minutes ago

I don’t think manually. From what I’ve seen the SMS backup is just as it was before. If you restore you phone, you get texts from 10 months ago…. that’s it.

They need to expose a WebUI to allow you to manage your stuff. It’s coming.
I switch phones often so this is really important to me

MarkusRJR

So I turned my 625's brightness above low and onto auto (was getting 3-4 days battery on low-medium usage and thought a higher brightness would make the experience outside nicer) and noticed both the medium and high brightness settings have major light bleeding on the bottom right corner. This is kind of annoying. The quality of the LCD is definitely worse than the 520.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Semi OT, but

I accidentally'd an Xbox one, and wow, I'm really impressed. For weirdos like me that actually like windows 8.1, use windows phone, use one drive, subscribe to Xbox music and live in the US...the machine brings all those together.

Skype with the in laws was amazing, they were raving about the quality and being able to see all the kids. The tv integration is great and I was watching an NBA game while the kids spoke to their grandparents. Xbox music brought over my collection, and played videos when a song I own has one available, which is smart. Gaming....I'm not much of a gamer anymore, so I don't care. I'm selling the titanfall code to recoup some of the cost of the console. I'll buy some games in the fall when I'm done with school.

Two things that need to improve: the out of box experience still sucks. Huge downloads for everything. Also, I need more apps and 3d blu ray support so I can sell my ps3.

I want even tighter integration with windows phone, like the ability to share my screen on the console.

JaggedSac

Semi OT, but

I accidentally'd an Xbox one, and wow, I'm really impressed. For weirdos like me that actually like windows 8.1, use windows phone, use one drive, subscribe to Xbox music and live in the US...the machine brings all those together.

Skype with the in laws was amazing, they were raving about the quality and being able to see all the kids. The tv integration is great and I was watching an NBA game while the kids spoke to their grandparents. Xbox music brought over my collection, and played videos when a song I own has one available, which is smart. Gaming....I'm not much of a gamer anymore, so I don't care. I'm selling the titanfall code to recoup some of the cost of the console. I'll buy some games in the fall when I'm done with school.

Two things that need to improve: the out of box experience still sucks. Huge downloads for everything. Also, I need more apps and 3d blu ray support so I can sell my ps3.

I want even tighter integration with windows phone, like the ability to share my screen on the console.

Plex just announced they are making an app. Universal Apps will be enabled later in a dashboard update so after that, hopefully the number of apps won't be an issue.

EDIT: Announce is a bit wrong, a dev on the forum said they were given the go ahead by MS.

hadareud

The Translator
That guy doesn't sound like someone with any insight.

Just someone who wants to sound important. Maybe there's the odd bit of truth in there, but most of it is surely a load of bollocks.

frontieruk

Semi OT, but

Have you sold the code yet? Hire much do you want for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom