• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I like my surface 1, but I only paid $180 for it. Everything runs fine, I'm not sure I get all the complaining about it being slow.

Lumia 1020 owners: did the updates break reframing? I took a photo, cropped it using nokia camera and saved it, but now I can't go back and get the entire original when I open it in Nokia camera. What am I doing wrong?

zedge

Nope, not worth it at all. It's still slow even with all the updates.
Ended up grabbing it, have 14 days to return it so its ok. Seems pretty zippy to me so far. The hardware is soo good, damn. Screen is gorgeous too. See how it goes. May end up returning it for a 2 or even a pro.

Wii rt get the new 8.1 updates?

see5harp

So I randomly went into the Windows Store app for Windows 8.1 and realized that they made a new Hexic. It's candy crush basically which is super sad. :(

MarkusRJR

So I randomly went into the Windows Store app for Windows 8.1 and realized that they made a new Hexic. It's candy crush basically which is super sad. :(
Yeah I'm a big Hexic fan but even I hate it. The F2P model makes you pay for lives. FFS! MS lately seems to make a really appealing product and has one or two major flaws that turn me off. Not a fan at all of MS's latest F2P games and F2P aspects on paid games (mainly on Xbox One games).

I wish they just released it for 3.99 or something. I actually would have paid for the game if it had none of F2P model. Now I'm just going to ignore it and down vote it.

hwalker84

Sounds like the Snapdragon and Lumia 1020 successor are made for eachother.

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/relea...onnected-computing-next-generation-snapdragon

The Snapdragon 810 processor, as Qualcomm Technologies’ highest performing Snapdragon platform to date, also supports:

Rich native 4K Ultra HD interface and video, along with an upgraded camera suite using gyro-stabilization and 3D noise reduction for producing high quality 4K video at 30 frames per second and 1080p video at 120 frames per second. The combined 14-bit dual Image Signal Processors (ISPs) are capable of supporting 1.2GP/s throughput and image sensors up to 55MP. Advanced imaging software helps enable advanced mobile camera features, including enhanced exposure, white balance and fast low light focus.​

The combined 64-bit quad core ARM Cortex-A57 CPUs and Cortex-A53 CPUs are designed to enable an improved user experience based on the advanced technology feature set, while implementation of the new ARMv8-A ISA enables improved instruction set efficiency. Designed for 4K displays, the new Qualcomm® Adreno™ 430 graphics processing unit (GPU) provides support for OpenGL ES 3.1 plus hardware tessellation, geometry shaders and programmable blending. The Adreno 430 is designed to deliver up to 30% faster graphics performance and 100% faster GPGPU compute performance, while reducing power consumption by up to 20%, as compared to its predecessor, the Adreno 420 GPU. The Adreno 430 GPU also enables a new level of GPU security for secure composition and management of premium video and other multimedia.
The Snapdragon 810 processor introduces high speed LPDDR4 memory.
Frame buffer compression and external 4K display support via HDMI1.4.​

First mobile platform to implement Qualcomm® VIVE™ 2-stream 802.11ac with multi-user MIMO, which makes Wi-Fi® networks more efficient than ever in order to maximize the performance of local connectivity for mobile devices.​

Support for Bluetooth® 4.1, USB 3.0, NFC and the latest Qualcomm® IZat™ location core for ubiquitous and highly accurate location services.​

ElNino

I like my surface 1, but I only paid $180 for it. Everything runs fine, I'm not sure I get all the complaining about it being slow.

Lumia 1020 owners: did the updates break reframing? I took a photo, cropped it using nokia camera and saved it, but now I can't go back and get the entire original when I open it in Nokia camera. What am I doing wrong?
Yeah, I got my son the RT (32GB) for his birthday in December and he likes it. With a 64GB SD card, it makes a great device for him to watch videos on even when we don't have access to internet for Netflix, YouTube, etc. He still likes to use his mom's iPad, but it hasn't been a terrible purchase thus far.

As for the 1020 photo reframing... I was just doing that a bunch yesterday and it was working fine for me so I don't think it was broken in any updates. The only thing I can think of is that you might have edited the photos with Creative Studio? I've found those no longer work with Nokia Camera after being edited there, but the original should still be available in your camera roll.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
We took my wife's RT with us to Mexico and it was great for watching videos. I downloading some of my Xbox Video content and put it on an SD card. Was a bit annoyed that some of the videos wouldn't play offline. Once I played it once online that same video would work offline later. I guess it has to be initialized for offline play??

JaggedSac

Were you using the Camera Beta? Noticed that happening to me once I changed that to my default.

Lastflowers hows work going on a 64-Bit version of WP?

Probably be there with Threshold.

hadareud

The Translator
Good for you.

zgozfkP.gif

Chorazin

What updates for the 1020? Last update I got was from December....

EDIT: Or are these app updates? I haven't checked for any today.

hadareud

The Translator
I guess them not having a console or a console OS themselves might have something to do with them being slightly less reluctant to support that particular MS platform.

hadareud

The Translator
The MCDmeister was being sarcastic, since some have suggested that Google's decision and their reasoning behind not allowing MS's YouTube app on WP may not have been entirely professional/a tad shady.

Me included.

MCD

The MCDmeister was being sarcastic, since some have suggested that Google's decision and their reasoning behind not allowing MS's YouTube app on WP may not have been entirely professional/a tad shady.

Me included.

What he said.

Waterproof Sony phone would be extremely nice. Not having Nokia software on top of Windows Phone would suck.

Sny alone won't or can't fix the lack of localization of the OS.

Guess it only took a free OS to convince them! Maybe they can dominate Japan since no WP8 exists there.

What exclusive Nokia apps are left that are a must? And which ones won't be available on other phones after the acquisition? Apps are no longer a + for Nokia, IMO.

MCD

Sny alone won't or can't fix the lack of localization of the OS.

What exclusive Nokia apps are left that are a must? And which ones won't be available on other phones after the acquisition? Apps are no longer a + for Nokia, IMO.

Not sure why you are asking me about Nokia apps lol.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The hardware in your phone is even older!

Some of it is (CPU/GPU, 720p screen). Other parts (Ram) are more modern. Still others (camera) remain unsurpassed.

edit: its nothing wrong with the phone per se. Its still fast and I'll get 8.1 next week. I just want a new toy.

Just realised the notification drop-down shows you the battery percentage below the standard battery indicator. Neat.

And you can manually check for App updates through the store, no more SysApp Pusher!

Well for me I personally need Nokia Glance, but other than that I'm not even sure which Nokia apps are available on other devices. There are a lot of cool little Nokia apps like Beamer, Refocus, PlayTo, Cinemagraph, Photobeamer, VideoTrimmer, Storyteller, etc. I don't think those are all available on every device.

zedge

So I returned the surface and picked up the surface 2. Holy crap this thing is so much faster. The other one seemed fast but the difference is quite noticeable. I see the guy on Kijiji selling pros for $385 still has a few. Debating on getting that and returning the surface 2 now. However, the two position kick stand is so much better and I see the battery life on the RT version is more than double the pro. Hmm.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So I returned the surface and picked up the surface 2. Holy crap this thing is so much faster. The other one seemed fast but the difference is quite noticeable. I see the guy on Kijiji selling pros for $385 still has a few. Debating on getting that and returning the surface 2 now. However, the two position kick stand is so much better and I see the battery life on the RT version is more than double the pro. Hmm.

I love the Pro a lot even though the battery life isn't great. The Pro is also replacing my old laptop and more or less my desktop. Depending on what you are using it for imagine the Surface 2 would do nicely.

zedge

I love the Pro a lot even though the battery life isn't great. The Pro is also replacing my old laptop and more or less my desktop. Depending on what you are using it for imagine the Surface 2 would do nicely.

Yea I have a laptop and desktop too..lol. Such a gadget whore. This is more to replace my 3 year old android tablet. Surfing, etc for most part. More portable than my laptop. Just love the hardware its gorgeous.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yea I have a laptop and desktop too..lol. Such a gadget whore. This is more to replace my 3 year old android tablet. Surfing, etc for most part. More portable than my laptop. Just love the hardware its gorgeous.

I think you would probably fine sticking with the Surface 2. The extra kickstand setting and the battery life will be nice. Plus the surface 2 is also 1080p.

the hardware design for the surface devices is fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom