• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Flash

Banned
I've heard that the preview for 8.1 comes out next Monday. Any weight to this?

Also, can I pin an album or playlist to the main screen?

Razdek

Banned
So I returned the surface and picked up the surface 2. Holy crap this thing is so much faster. The other one seemed fast but the difference is quite noticeable. I see the guy on Kijiji selling pros for $385 still has a few. Debating on getting that and returning the surface 2 now. However, the two position kick stand is so much better and I see the battery life on the RT version is more than double the pro. Hmm.

People who say RT is fast must not have another device to compare to because it is slow and goes in the "just good enough" category. You can definitely see it when using the Surface 2. Pro battery life isn't good but it can do more and there's the $200 power cover available as well if you need it. Too bad that thing is never in stock in the Microsoft Canada store.

pre-order your Cortana shirts boys

MIC011066-L.jpg

http://shop.ecompanystore.com/MSCompanyStore/Product/apparel-new/SW-Cortana-Tee-Black/mic011066.aspx

UPS Int'l Expedited [$67.87 ]

Okay.

hwalker84

One thing that I hate about windows phones is that I cannot view call history while on a phone call. I'm probably the only person.

kehs

Banned
I thought I read something about the 520/521 getting 8.1 update is that correct?

Didn't it get shafted of an earlier update?

kehs

Banned
So the 520 is Microsoft's Moto G.

I must be thinking about the first batch of Windows Phones then, not Nokias.

PG2G

My guess is now that WP8.1 supports a much wider range of specifications, the lineup is going to be repositioned so that each series has much more differentiation than the last. Last generation the 6XX, 7XX, and 8XX were so similar there wasn't much reason for them all to exist.

I'm expecting the 730 to be the Moto G competitor this time.

We'll see though.

I sort of understand Nokia's naming scheme:

The first number refers to the quality and size of the phone:
5xx = low end + small screen
6xx = low end + big screen
7xx = average + avg screen
8xx = high end + small screen
9xx = high end + big screen
10xx = very high end + big screen
--------------------------------------------
13xx = low end phablet
15xx = high end phablet
--------------------------------------------
25xx = low end tablet

Second to last number is the Windows Phone generation:
x0x = WP 7.5
x2x = WP 8.0
x3x = WP 8.1

Last number is the carrier variant or updates to the phone.
xx0 = original model
xx5 = updated/refresh model

The only Lumia name I've never understood is the Lumia 810 on T-mobile.

the world would be a better place if everyone followed Nokia's lead in ditching cell phone camera flashes

But flashlight apps are so handy.

PG2G

I sort of understand Nokia's naming scheme:

The first number refers to the quality and size of the phone:
5xx = low end + small screen
6xx = low end + big screen
7xx = average + avg screen
8xx = high end + small screen
9xx = high end + big screen
10xx = very high end + big screen

The 520 actually has a larger screen than the 620.

I think its just lowest end to highest end with them attempting to find some combination of processor, screen resolution, and RAM to justify the differences.

The 520 actually has a larger screen than the 620.

I think its just lowest end to highest end with them attempting to find some combination of processor, screen resolution, and RAM to justify the differences.

Sure, originally the distinguishing thing of the 500 series was that it used only 256MB RAM and 4GB storage, but I think since the 625 came out they decided the 600 series is basically the 500 series with a bigger screen. After WP8 they couldn't do those low specs anymore so they had to create a new way to distinguish 500 and 600 series.

The design of Lumia 925 and 930 may also mean that 900 series will have metal sides from now on.

Schlep

So I returned the surface and picked up the surface 2. Holy crap this thing is so much faster. The other one seemed fast but the difference is quite noticeable. I see the guy on Kijiji selling pros for $385 still has a few. Debating on getting that and returning the surface 2 now. However, the two position kick stand is so much better and I see the battery life on the RT version is more than double the pro. Hmm.

Depends on what you need it for. I started on the RT, and went the Pro 2 route instead of the 2. Did that because I need to: host GoToMeetings, use Adobe Captivate, various VPN programs, and Synergy since I work on two different OS's simultaneously.

Outside of those special circumstances, the Surface 2 would have been great. Tons of apps now, Office 2013 preinstalled, IE is a great browser, etc. I wouldn't get a Pro unless you plan it to be a laptop/desktop replacement. Surface 2 is more than capable of everything you'd likely do if you already have another computer.

zedge

Depends on what you need it for. I started on the RT, and went the Pro 2 route instead of the 2. Did that because I need to: host GoToMeetings, use Adobe Captivate, various VPN programs, and Synergy since I work on two different OS's simultaneously.

Outside of those special circumstances, the Surface 2 would have been great. Tons of apps now, Office 2013 preinstalled, IE is a great browser, etc. I wouldn't get a Pro unless you plan it to be a laptop/desktop replacement. Surface 2 is more than capable of everything you'd likely do if you already have another computer.

Yea its not replacing my PC. Loving it so far. I may use it occasionally at work for email, or taking notes etc but that's all.

derFeef

Wait... so the 8.1 slide-down settings menu with WLAN and stuff are just shortcuts to the setting pages and not actual switches? That's just crappy...

hadareud

The Translator
Tom Warren the old hater.

I think the reason it takes you to the settings there is because while the wifi is switched on it's not actually connected to a network (says available).

edit: The way he pronounces Cortana is weird.

Lucius86

Banned
I've heard that the preview for 8.1 comes out next Monday. Any weight to this?

Also, can I pin an album or playlist to the main screen?

I believe it does come out on Monday - after messing around with the emulator, I am VERY much looking forward to loading it onto my 920.

As for album pinning, can you not do that already in 8? I just done it. Playlist I don't have one to hand to test alas.

KageMaru

I wonder if the things Cortana proactively tells you is kept in the notification center. If I'm getting ready for work and don't hear her traffic update for example.

kehs

Banned
KareMaru, I'm pretty sure that litigious Google would sue Microsoft for infringement on their Google Now services if they did that. Microsoft respects and honors all IP so there's no way they would even dip a toe into that market.

PG2G

I wonder if the things Cortana proactively tells you is kept in the notification center. If I'm getting ready for work and don't hear her traffic update for example.

It has a Live Tile so the information probably shows up there (if not in the notification center)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My brother is trying to decide if he should get the 1020 or not. He is still using WP7 so it would clearly be a big jump. It would be nice to know if there is any chance of the 930 coming to Canada. The 1020 did take a few months to come to Canada.

Also Telus no longer lists the 1020 on its website.

Lucius86

Banned
I've just been reminded how much I suck at programming.

Thought I was doing well with my app, want to introduce a new feature - but I cannot for the life of me work out how to use the ListPicker, when bound to my AppSettings, to return the listed value by default rather than show the first option.

So blimin' annoying. Massive respect to people who actually make decent apps on these devices.

Persona7

Banned
I like T-Mobile so far but I have a annoying bug where cellular data is shut off and redirects me to a page telling me I don't have a data plan, which is false.

I called support and apparently they have never heard of this issue despite me seeing hundreds of posts online about it going back several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom