• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was brot.

And it was beautiful.

prgVjz2.jpg

frontieruk

so by that video signal strength time and battery is always visible?
don't like that. Prefer as it is now.

Go back and read the wp7 thread and the wp8 launch thread, people whined that they always needed to see signal strength and battery remaining all the time... looks like they won.

Tomcat

Go back and read the wp7 thread and the wp8 launch thread, people whined that they always needed to see signal strength and battery remaining all the time... looks like they won.

that ocd stuff is awful. but Microsoft again is doing the same mistake. It doesn't have someone to win. Just give us an option. And wtf no data 3g/2g toggles? Sometimes it seems that the windows phone team doesn't really use their OS.

The Flash

Banned
As for album pinning, can you not do that already in 8? I just done it. Playlist I don't have one to hand to test alas.

I don't have a Windows phone yet so that's why I asked. I'll be getting a 920 tomorrow though so I just wanted to see if that was possible since you can do it in Windows 8. Thanks for the info.

Persona7

Banned
I am not that smart.

Instead of typing out the long ass WPA2 key, I just stored it in a QR code and then scanned it. You can copy and paste it.

I believe it's laying some engineering groundwork for your update to 8.1. Not certain of the actual update he got, but more than likely that's what it is. OS versions always help with identification.

MCD

I can't believe the slow ass WP team made me more impressed than the regular Win team. Win 8 Update 1 is zzz.

bigmf

It went to OS version 8.0.10521.155, so I was probably on .150 or .142 because I was definitely on update 3 before.

dLMN8R

I can't believe the slow ass WP team made me more impressed than the regular Win team. Win 8 Update 1 is zzz.

WP8.1 = the entire WP team working for 18 months
W8.1 Update = a small part of the Windows team working for ~3 months

Wasn't there a small OS update to Update 3 at some point? Don't think the carriers pushed it, and I'm not sure what it did. Possibly just bug fixes.

Can we talk about Skype and how horrible it is on many platforms, but mostly on Microsoft platforms?

I just checked the latest Windows Store update for the Windows 8 app.

rILPdWr.png

Like, really? The app has been in the Store since the Windows 8 launch and you always had to kill the app in some way, to get it to stop.

And do we know how far they are with the synchronized message system? Stuff like that really makes you wonder what the hell is taking them so long. Even from an outsiders perspective it's hard to come up with anything reasonable.

hwalker84

Can we talk about Skype and how horrible it is on many platforms, but mostly on Microsoft platforms?

I just checked the latest Windows Store update for the Windows 8 app.

rILPdWr.png

Like, really? The app has been in the Store since the Windows 8 launch and you always had to kill the app in some way, to get it to stop.

And do we know how far they are with the synchronized message system? Stuff like that really makes you wonder what the hell is taking them so long. Even from an outsiders perspective it's hard to come up with anything reasonable.
Skype is shameful on Microsoft platforms.

KageMaru

Any idea why an old email address is linked to my account on the app studio site? I log on using my current MS account info but I see a really old email address when logged on. Can't find any options to change it either.

That seems to stay there until I get to work. Ymmv

Awesome, thanks!

Cool. What's a good music app for WP8? I've heard that you need an Xbox Music Pass to use the Xbox Music app and I'm not really interested doing that if that's the case.

I personally mainly use the Built in Music App because it does my Xbox Music Subscription and other songs (J-pop, K-pop, Newgrounds songs) you cant get in the store. Other than that I use TuneIn, but thats an Internet Radio app, and Nokia MixRadio. I also use the Autoplay-Playlist feature on MyTube so I can listen to songs I put inside of playlists on youtube.

hadareud

The Translator
I still don't know what's taking them so long.

Then again, I've no idea about those things and what needs to be done/completed/approved by whom in major takeovers like that.

Oh right cool.

Yeah, the only thing with India is that one factory in the country. If Nokia wants to sell the factory, they put something like a couple million in a Legal Account and the Factory goes along to Microsoft with the sale. If Nokia says no, Microsoft pays a bit less and gets everything but the factory. Then Nokia lays-off all the people working there and closes it down. Either way Nokia wont have the Factory in the end.

ElNino

Cool. What's a good music app for WP8? I've heard that you need an Xbox Music Pass to use the Xbox Music app and I'm not really interested doing that if that's the case.
You can use your own music in the Xbox Music app, but I think some have complained about it not getting the album art and/or tags correct sometimes. I've only used it with my subscription though so I just download or stream the music from the app.

I'd also recommend Nokia MixRadio (assuming you are using a Lumia phone). It is a good free "radio" app that does a pretty good job of giving me personalized playlists once I've selected my artists. You can also download up to four playlists for offline play at a time, and there is a premium sub that will allow higher bit rate music and more offline play (unlimited?).

hadareud

The Translator
It mostly works quite well now actually. Out of 20gb of music I get maybe 10 albums or so where the album art hasn't been transferred, but that's easily fixed with mpatag.

Wasn't the case when WP8 first came out, it was quite poo then to be honest.

Razdek

Banned
Ugh, my battery drain overnight is getting ridiculous now. Charged it to 100% at 10pm before bed and woke up to 79% at 6am. This is unacceptable for a smartphone. Have they said if there are battery improvements in 8.1?

hadareud

The Translator
Must be some app or service playing up.

I don't think there's any improvements as such, but at least with battery sense you'll be able to find out which app is causing the problem, hopefully.

Razdek

Banned
Must be some app or service playing up.

I don't think there's any improvements as such, but at least with battery sense you'll be able to find out which app is causing the problem, hopefully.

Yea it's just getting frustrating and aside from uninstalling everything it's hard to troubleshoot. I only have 8 background tasks active and most of them are the Bing apps. 8.1 can't come fast enough.

maeh2k

A colleague of mine has a Lumia 620 and she has some issues with WhatsApp. She often doesn't get notified of new messages. She'll only see new messages when she opens the app. I checked that background tasks for WhatsApp are available and that she updated the app.
Anyone ever had that issue or heard about it? Told her that she should maybe try to uninstall and reinstall the app, since it didn't seem normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom