• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Chuni22-1
This is the worst filter/art style I think I've ever seen. Like what the fuck? Let's shake the camera while having the camera rotating over stationary figures for no fucking reason.

Reminds me of those shitty gifs that people used to make after the 3DS was announced that tried to simulate what the parallax display would look like.

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! (END)

Another season down... and to be honest, this might have been the toughest one yet to get through.

Things started out alright, with the return of the Yes! Precure 5 cast. Even the addition of Milky Rose was welcome. But somewhere along that line, the train started to bog down. Perhaps it was the strain of the same characters and situations for 97 episodes. I don't know if I can say for sure.

However, the biggest issue to me was the endgame.
Yes, it did wrap things up plot-wise. However, having the Precure defeated and using a "Power of Love" moment to revive them... twice... did not help the ending one bit.
From this, it makes me believe that the Yes! Precure group is weak, unable to finish things on their own, instead, relying on luck and hope to win.

I'll be taking another small break before starting Splash Star. Don't know whether it'll be a few days or a few weeks, but I need to recharge the batteries again.

On a side note, going through the Precure series backwards has led to a lot of repeat plots, especially in Go Go. Kinda odd to get into my mind that they were done here first instead of the later seasons. Also, nothing is ever original in Pretty Cure...

I would say it was more because they stopped developing Cure relationships all over, and basically left them as shells from Y5, making them much less interesting as a result. It also led to some characters getting screwed (Rin in particular) because of that lack of development. Milk strangely also gets screwed over despite finally being a capable fighter.

YMAHraZ.jpg
7SgwaCI.jpg

Both of these appear for like less than a second in the ED. Toei pls

In essence, it does rely on what you know of the characters, but the problem is that the development was the interesting thing, not exactly their base personality, because lack of development will make things less interesting, no matter how goofy it may seem
*coughsmileprecurecough*

As for the ending.... I think there were other problems with it
nevermind the whole DirectorxFlora but not really shit. And Nozomi being too alpha by stealing Urara's main squeeze.

Chuni22-1
is1FGPL16Lo7q.gif

I'm trying to take your criticism of the show seriously but my brain just keeps defaulting to "Whoaaa that GIF looks sooo siiiick". My first exposure to KyoAni stuff was with Kyoukai and I was more or less content to watch the show for its fight scenes and super pretty animation. Honestly I didn't realize this series was action based.

I haven't seen the original series and now I've totally gotta do that after I've caught up on my 2013 backlog and make my aoty list.

I know what you mean. however I will end up with multiple figurines of Kurumi so this is a moot point for me.

And speaking of figurines, I did play exactly one slot while at Otakon Vegas (I don't really like gambling) and for a $4 investment I got $151 back. I think I'm going to go spend that on AmiAmi, though I'm not sure on what.

Kansoku

I'm trying to take your criticism of the show seriously but my brain just keeps defaulting to "Whoaaa that GIF looks sooo siiiick". My first exposure to KyoAni stuff was with Kyoukai and I was more or less content to watch the show for its fight scenes and super pretty animation. Honestly I didn't realize this series was action based.

I haven't seen the original series and now I've totally gotta do that after I've caught up on my 2013 backlog and make my aoty list.

It's not action based. It's a comedy, where some characters have this thing in where they think they have super powers and stuff (like kids) and when they fake a fight in real life (like using a umbrella as a weapon), this "interpretation" of the fight happens.

But still, those fight scenes are way better then any stuff in Kyoukai, so....

Go_Ly_Dow

so out of the loop due to assignments with the thread and current season.

what's genuinely shit? (shows from recent years i found shit: Infinite stratos,SAO, Guilty Crown, Blast of Tempest, Sankarea)

what's genuinely great and stands out? (shows i've enjoyed from recent years: Hyouka, Flowers of Evil, From the new World, Yamato 2199, Tsuritama, Monogatari, Fate/Zero, Chiayafuru, Silver Spoon)

much appreciated.

i have good taste

It's not action based. It's a comedy, where some characters have this thing in where they think they have super powers and stuff (like kids) and when they fake a fight in real life (like using a umbrella as a weapon), this "interpretation" of the fight happens.

But still, those fight scenes are way better then any stuff in Kyoukai, so....

That's ... kind of a really cool premise! Now even more hyped to watch the show.

cajunator

Banned
This is awesome.

Companies need to add outtakes to releases more often... I remember watching Haruhi and Lucky Star outtakes a while ago, and those were pretty good.

I seem to remember the Madlax DVD's having some really funny outtakes on them too. Made them worth the money I paid back then.

Wave Motion Gun
would have saved lives. But some people care more about a chunk of ice and rock than people's lives :(

Except that doing this would be making the same
mistake the iscandar did , witch led them to destruction

So it wasn't the right choice.

Jex

It wasn't that bad when I saw it a few days ago!

It has more to do with the fact that I think the Golden Age arc is not just the best, but pretty much the only worthwhile arc in Bersek and having the end of it revealed at the beginning isn't particularly useful.

Yes, I know, I am "totally crazy".

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! (END)

Another season down... and to be honest, this might have been the toughest one yet to get through.

Things started out alright, with the return of the Yes! Precure 5 cast. Even the addition of Milky Rose was welcome. But somewhere along that line, the train started to bog down. Perhaps it was the strain of the same characters and situations for 97 episodes. I don't know if I can say for sure.

However, the biggest issue to me was the endgame.
Yes, it did wrap things up plot-wise. However, having the Precure defeated and using a "Power of Love" moment to revive them... twice... did not help the ending one bit.
From this, it makes me believe that the Yes! Precure group is weak, unable to finish things on their own, instead, relying on luck and hope to win.
If think that the fact that there are a big chunk of episodes that are just pointless before the finale didn't help.

And yeah the final part was lacking because they couldn't reuse the same method as the first season to finish thing up so they tried to change thing ..and the result wasn't that great.
I'll be taking another small break before starting Splash Star. Don't know whether it'll be a few days or a few weeks, but I need to recharge the batteries again.

On a side note, going through the Precure series backwards has led to a lot of repeat plots, especially in Go Go. Kinda odd to get into my mind that they were done here first instead of the later seasons. Also, nothing is ever original in Pretty Cure...

SPlash star is so much better ..in fact you 've just finished a average season to start a great season .. Do keep in mind that it starts similar to the original series but it will becomes it's own thing later. SS also has the second best finale of the entire precure franchise so far.

fertygo

It has more to do with the fact that I think the Golden Age arc is not just the best, but pretty much the only worthwhile arc in Bersek and having the end of it revealed at the beginning isn't particularly useful.

You are crazy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aw man... now I can't not notice that...

Hidamari Sketch Season 1 (End)

I don't know any other way to describe this show other than... odd. It was definitely entertaining enough to continue on to the rest of the seasons. I think there's better out there if your looking for plain slice-of-life, but this is definitely worth the watch, if only to start the series.
You don't get the Shaft-isms or Ume-wideface designs in other anime though.

I know right? I'm legit surprised and pleased.
None of them are yuri! ;)

Speaking of which, how many copies of this have you preordered?
esLAsJf.jpg

Theonik

For what it's worth I stopped reading Berserk after the Golden Age arc pretty much so I'll give you that.
Also, I suppose so, my perspective comes from me having read it already.

Jex

You are crazy.

In fact there's been so little movment on the main characters journey that Miura has to bring in new characters just so someone can get character development. Meanwhile, Guts is a stoic guy who spouts one-liners, the same that he's been for about two decades.

The pictures are really pretty though. I'd love Miura to just do cool illustrations for stuff.

fertygo

In fact there's been so little movment on the main characters journey that Miura has to bring in new characters just so someone can get character development. Meanwhile, Guts is a stoic guy who spouts one-liners, the same that he's been for about two decades.

The pictures are really pretty. I'd love Miura to just do cool illustrations for stuff.

?Guts is pretty talk-active guy in whatever form he's

Depressed Guts, Killing Spree Guts, Batman Guts, etc..

Berserk have incredible atmosphere, even if you like Hawk's story the most.. the other 2-3 arc have atmosphere that only Berserk had.. that alone make "Hawk is the only worthwhile arc" point is absurd.
Jex is talking shit about the Retribution arc? He crazy.

Yeah I'm fine for people talking shit for later part.

But Berserk still damn fine after Hawk arc, Retribution arc is the the best arc afterall. Demon invasion feel so real in that, Awesome experience..

Jex

Jex is talking shit about the Retribution arc? He crazy.

I wouldn't say that I'm talking shit about Retribution (sometimes known as Conviction) so much as I am putting it to one side. The Retribution arc is full of genuinely cool stuff and is a great setup to launch the story back on it's way but that's all it is. If the story doesn't get on with itself and go anywhere interesting after that then it's kind of a waste.

Meanwhile Golden Age tells an (almost) complete story from beginning to end with a number of characters experiencing character arcs and with a great rise and fall structure. It's also thematically satisfying e.g. friendship, power, leadership, dreams etc etc.

Phi Brain 01-04

I love puzzle games, so a puzzle oriented anime is right up my alley. I'm not totally in love with the characters yet, but still, it's early on.
And even if it's anime, I totally didn't see Ana being a boy coming. Kind of... out of left field?

Phi Brain 01-04

I love puzzle games, so a puzzle oriented anime is right up my alley. I'm not totally in love with the characters yet, but still, it's early on.
And even if it's anime, I totally didn't see Ana being a boy coming. Kind of... out of left field?

Bath scene was best scene. I should do another rewatch. I miss Brain Diver and Hologram.

Now now, Rin didn't need GoGo to get screwed over, she did a perfectly good job of that in the first season already.

GoGo just had to go further though.

I mean, I understand that Rin was a straight man to a fault, which lessened her appeal and whatnot, nevermind being the only person to fail at getting a fairy pairing, despite Toei implying that Rin is so hot, she rises the dead. But she at least had some connections with others, namely Nozomi and Karen. She has neither of these in GoGo, and therefore just feels like she's just there for no reason. It hurts more considering she's not remarkable in any way.

Branduil

If you take out the Golden Age arc Berserk is just a really long, mediocre fantasy story with amazing art and excessively gross and exploitative rape scenes.

fertygo

I wouldn't say that I'm talking shit about Retribution (sometimes known as Conviction) so much as I am putting it to one side. The Retribution arc is full of genuinely cool stuff and is a great setup to launch the story back on it's way but that's all it is. If the story doesn't get on with itself and go anywhere interesting after that then it's kind of a waste.

Meanwhile Golden Age tells an (almost) complete story from beginning to end with a number of characters experiencing character arcs and with a great rise and fall structure. It's also thematically satisfying e.g. friendship, power, leadership, dreams etc etc.

The journey is more important than the destination bro. Retribution even outdoing eclipse atmosphere, you feel like in hell from mid-arc.. its very incredible(Although you can argue eclipse is more intense because the scenario)

Hawk have complete package as arc, but I think you seeing nothing from Berserk if you haven't seeing the Dark Souls-esque adventure aspect from Berserk that so invasive.

So I really disagree with discouraging people from Berserk with implying its only have one worthwhile arc.

Pooya

chuu22 - 1

OP looks like something you'd see as a Persona game intro except way worse.

oh this setup is too convenient...
Well it's more chuu2 minus the drama, some parts were actually funny I thought like Nibutani/Dekomori scenes. I almost feel ashamed to say that I kinda enjoyed it D:

OP and ED are both a big improvement over first season's (and no, not because of naked girls...) but that's not saying much at all. dunno if I watch the rest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom