• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a good year for anime to me, from the backlog:

Gunbuster & Diebuster
Gintama
Honnêamise
Tatami Galaxy
Ben-to
Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? & Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? of the Dead
Smile Precure! & HeartCatch Precure
Dennou Coil
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars
Ojamajo Doremi
Tamayura
Mari & Gali
Mari & Gali Ver 2.0
Mushishi
Touch
Sora no Manimani
Sword of the Stranger
TGWLTT
Paprika
Tokyo Godfathers

Happy New Year folks!
DZL7Q4V.jpg

Happy year of the horse.

Tenumi

Banned
Wow... This has been my most/least productive year, anime watching-wise. I've kept track of the amount of Series, OVAs, and Movies I've watched since I started (keeping track on MAL, that is).

2008: 19
2009: 10
2010: 4
2011: 29
2012: 22
2013: 48

And I thought I would never beat 2011. Whoops. I have clearly too much free time.

wonzo

Banned

Though I get joy out of it, I do kind of wish that people who disliked S1 would just not watch and rage about S2. Maybe if they didn't talk about it less people would check it out and you guys would win.
Better to just move it all to one big thread like a leper colony.

Once upon a time people of this world believed in a dream. Despite our different perspectives, preferences, and style we envisioned a world where we can reach OT4. I went out and trained for the day where we can finally see this dream come true. When did we lose sight ourselves.
quality >>> quantity

In seriousness though, I was sort of bored and felt like liveblogging. I'll stop. Sorry guys.
*thumbsup*

What is with HolyBankai and sexual politics in media talk?
pro troll account

Psycho Pass <3 can't wait for season 2

Jarmel, can we revoke Canis Lupus' mecha fan cred?

As a live action Gundam G Saviour was better than Pacific Rim.

... nah joking, still I watched through that shit Gundam movie, how many mecha fan can say that? Think about that

Theonik

Wow... This has been my most/least productive year, anime watching-wise. I've kept track of the amount of Series, OVAs, and Movies I've watched since I started (keeping track on MAL, that is).

And I thought I would never beat 2011. Whoops. I have clearly too much free time.
Welp I just looked at mine, according to MAL:
2012: 38
2013: 163

LordCanti

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods

This movie was weirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd. The very definition of an anti-climax, something that the franchise has generally been able to avoid even in filler. What the fuck, Toriyama?

All it really did was scrub GT away while adding unnecessary levels of Kai and
alt dimensions
. In other words, yeah, fuuuuuck that movie.

Until she gets killed off.

It'll be a sad day when she pulls a Kittan.

Mako will live forever
in our hearts.

CorvoSol

Psycho Pass <3 can't wait for season 2

As a live action Gundam G Saviour was better than Pacific Rim.

... nah joking, still I watched through that shit Gundam movie, how many mecha fan can say that? Think about that

I still have to see G Saviour before I make that call.

2012: 88
2013: 103 (plus it's not showing December yet)

Heh, and I thought I was pretty lazy this year.

Only the announcement of a Yotsuba& anime could save us from the SAO scourge.

Why does it not exist!? The manga series is great.

I watched that God-awful SAO Extra and now I'm just angry. Further proof that god-damned series should have ended at Episode 14. If you end up being held hostage in an MMO for several years, going back is THE LAST THING YOU FUCKING DO EVER, YOU IDIOT.

JCG

So... did anyone else watch the second OVA for Akito?

Good stuff. Orange's definitely at the top of their game. I can agree with you in that so far Akito himself isn't a particularly interesting guy, but he can make a couple of amusing offhand remarks and does have some intriguing circumstances surrounding him. The other characters (and mainly Leila) are starting to get some needed focus too. The setting is coming across nicely, albeit I think the Britannian side of things isn't quite completely established. Overall, I suppose this is meant to be more of an ensemble, even within the limitations of the chosen format.

Speaking of which...I don't know if it's optimistic to expect that there won't be more delays for the last two entries, but I'm not getting my hopes up about episode 3 meeting the target.

The tone of Akito is extremely different from the two seasons that preceded it.

That's true, the tone is significantly somber and darker. But there is a fair bit of the theatricality that Valvrave didn't quite get, as well as a number of elements and ideas beyond just the Geass power that definitely place it in the same universe. I think Akito manages to be different while still complementing the original series in a few ways. Which is probably going to be even more true whenever the next episode comes around. I'd say the director did do his homework, so to speak, and has found a balance rather than secretly making Gundam fanfiction under another label. Thus I believe you'll still get more out of it by actually liking Code Geass than if you otherwise don't.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
That's true, the tone is significantly somber and darker. But there is a fair bit of the theatricality that Valvrave didn't quite get, as well as a number of elements and ideas beyond just the Geass power that definitely place it in the same universe. I think Akito manages to be different while still complementing the original series in a few ways. Which is probably going to be even more true whenever the next episode comes around. I'd say the director did do his homework, so to speak, and has found a balance rather than secretly making Gundam fanfiction under another label. Thus I believe you'll still get more out of it by actually liking Code Geass than if you otherwise don't.

Pretty much summarizes how I feel. I really enjoyed it for what it was.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Why does it not exist!? The manga series is great.

I watched that God-awful SAO Extra and now I'm just angry. Further proof that god-damned series should have ended at Episode 14. If you end up being held hostage in an MMO for several years, going back is THE LAST THING YOU FUCKING DO EVER, YOU IDIOT.

He needs to hunt down more waifus to add to his collection obviously.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 14

Why are they looking for middle school girls to play detectives in a drama?

Wish I could have seen Otome act, because her personality is pretty much the ultimate antithesis of basically any drama role. It probably ain't for her.

And Aoi got this.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yeah. Kirito pretty much looks like a loser to the MC in Mahouka. I also think the MC in Mahouka is a breathing and walking inconsistency in that universe. Literally a walking Deus ex Machina and whatever bullshit you can think of.

Owwari

Banned
Yeah. Kirito pretty much looks like a loser to the MC in Mahouka. I also think the MC in Mahouka is a breathing and walking inconsistency in that universe. Literally a walking Deus ex Machina and whatever bullshit you can think of.

And just when you think he finds decent competition
He still has another card under his sleeve, the shady bastard.

Theonik

Ahh. And looking its says about 80% of my completed section have no complete date. Is there a way to force mal.oko.im to reread by mal account if I decide to update all that crap with end dates?
It will do it on its own actually.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Samurai Flamenco 11
I get what they were going for with the genre switch up, but it just really did nothing for me. Samurai Flamenco was at its most fun when it hit this intersection between these serial action shows and how that translates into a more harsh reality. This played everything extremely straight, and even the jokes didn't help to break the mold at all because they were all super meta and still knee deep in the topic. As a loving sort of parody the show works...but this doesn't feel like parody at all. Without that going for it Samurai Flamenco is just a really ugly show with bad designs and rote action sequences. The characters feel like they are growing more and more distant to. Any emotional moments seem to just be missing, and they have all kind of completely slotted into spewing their associated dogma.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So apparently...

2ch's AOTY Voting Results said:
  1. Shingeki no Kyojin 596
  2. Non Non Biyori 538
  3. Love Live&#65281; 490
  4. Chihayafuru 2 367
  5. Suisei no Gargantia 332
  6. Uchouten Kazoku 289
  7. Arpeggio 265
  8. Yahari Ore Seishun250
  9. Monogatari Second Season 233
  10. Hataraku Maou-sama 228
  11. Kiniro Mosaic 215
  12. Gundam BF 208
  13. Kitakubu 205
  14. Fantasista Doll 199
  15. Yuyushiki 198
  16. Majestic Prince 191
  17. GJ-bu 180
  18. Little Busters Refrain 171
  19. Valvrave155
  20. Watamote 148
  21. Kill la Kill 147
  22. Symphogear G 140
  23. WHITE ALBUM2 130
  24. Love Lab 125
  25. Walkure Romance 124
  26. Log Horizon 117
  27. Gatchaman Crowds 116
  28. Free! 109
  29. Railgun S 100
  30. Naganai NEXT 99
  31. Mondaiji Tachi 95
  32. Ai Mai Mi 86
  33. THE UNLIMITED Hyobu Kyousuke 81
  34. Silver Spoon 75
  35. Oreshura 75
  36. Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live 74
  37. Minami-ke Tadaima 72
  38. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Ilya 70
  39. Oreimo. 2 70
  40. Nagi no Asukara 69
  41. Yamato 2199 68
  42. Yama no Susume 65
  43. Date A Live 62
  44. Yowamushi Pedal 59
  45. Aku no Hana 57
  46. TWGOK 3 56
  47. Outbreak Company 54
  48. Servant x Service 52
  49. Rokyu-bu SS 51
  50. AKB0048 next stage 51
  51. Daiya no A 47
  52. Kyousougiga 46
  53. Muromi-san 46
  54. High School D×D NEW 45
  55. Yondemasu Yo Z 40
  56. Leviathan 40
  57. Vividred 39
  58. Neptunia 38
  59. Teekyuu 38
  60. Strike the Blood 36
  61. Gingitsune 34
  62. Dokidoki Precure 34
  63. Tamayura More Aggressive 34
  64. Genshiken 33
  65. Tokyo Ravens 31
  66. Infinite Stratos 2 29
  67. Tesagure Bukatsumono 29
  68. Aiura 26
  69. Tamako Market 26
  70. Yusibu 25
  71. Golden Time 23
  72. Utapri LOVE2000&#65285; 23
  73. Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta 22
  74. Kurobas 2 22
  75. Danganronpa 22
  76. Kyoukai no Kanata 19
  77. Kimi no Iru Machi 17
  78. Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi 16
  79. Rozen Maiden 15
  80. Sasami-san@Ganbaranai 15
  81. Miss Monochrome 15
  82. Sekai de Ichiban&#65281; 14
  83. Straight Title Robot Anime 14
  84. AMNESIA 14
  85. Kotoura-san 13
  86. Space Brothers 13
  87. Samurai Flamenco 12
  88. HUNTER×HUNTER 12
  89. Photo Kano 12
  90. Jewelpet 11
  91. Meganebu 11
  92. Danball Senki 10
  93. Cuticle Tantei Inaba 10
  94. Hentai Ouji 10
  95. Red Data Girl 10
  96. Mushibugyo 10
  97. Stella C3 9
  98. Haiyoru Nyaruko W 8
  99. Hakkenden 2 8
  100. Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge 8
  101. Senran Kagura 8

Non Non Biyori giving Titan a run for it's money.
Also: Kill la Kill < Valvrave? :(

Defuser

Do you happen to know the sales for Index II? I don't think I remember what they were like.

Did over 10k sales IIRC, Index movie and Railgun II did well too. J.C.staff ain't gonna let their cash cow franchise go to waste and they don't want to let another Shana 3 situation where they waited too long and it bombed.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Non Non Biyori much higher than I was expecting.

I am perfectly okay with this.

LordCanti

I'm glad that Uchouten Kazoku is pretty high up there (as well as Monogatari) but Watamote above Kill la Kill? Ahahahahahahahahahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom