• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the pattern? Tamako Market was about moeblobs abusing Thanksgiving dinner. Free! was about girls fantasizing about boys abusing each other. KnK was about moeblobs abusing creepers.

Tamako Market doesn't count because it's so boring I pretend it doesn't exist. Free! was their experiment of less moe girls and it was super popular. I expect KyoAni to go the yaoi route in the future. KnK had the scene of kicking the girl under the kitchen counter. Two does make a pattern, because I say so.

If FMP still counts, Chidori is the one abusing Sousuke, not the other way around.

FMP they were still experimenting. Getting to know the moe. Be the Moe.

K-ON! has no male protagonists.

K-ON was their way of stating that they're so tired of moe girls they wanted to fatten them up by making them do absolutely nothing besides having tea and eating snacks. Fatten the moe.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren Episode 2
Another great episode, this time about the couple, cant wait for more.

K-ON was their way of stating that they're so tired of moe girls they wanted to fatten them up by making them do absolutely nothing besides having tea and eating snacks. Fatten the moe.

8vp2Pai.jpg

Branduil

The physical abuse stuff that gets played out as being cute in chu2 is so weird. It's okay, thought Rikka. I can change him.

Auu~

Their relationship is extremely problematic in general. Can't wait until he gets her teen pregnant and she starts calling the baby Damien.

Syrinx

Kino's Journey 10

Spoiler tagging from here on out since nintendoman said I should.

It was fairly obvious after the dining room scene that the family Nanny was serving were mechanical dolls themselves. And it did become obvious that Nanny herself was a human after a while. But that story of what had happened...shit. So here was nanny, who used to be a genius mechanical engineer, living the rest of her life doing menial housework, thinking she was a mechanical doll herself after the terrorist bombing that killed her family and nearly killed her. Content as Nanny was, it's a shame to see a mind like that just be destroyed. That said, I have to consider her ultimate goal quite naive. Building mechanical dolls to do the menial stuff wasn't going to help end that dispute. Unless she had been in the lab working so long that she wasn't aware just how much the dispute escalated.

The dolls she created were...I don't know how to really describe it. Though obviously artificial, it's still striking how human they were. Their service to her went so far that they flooded the whole warring village just so Nanny would never have to relive the trauma of what she experienced. And it was ironic how they were created to serve; their existence is to serve their master, Nanny. But since Nanny thinks she's a doll, she thinks that's her purpose. And so the way they served Nanny was...to humor her and pretend to be served by her. And with nobody to serve, they jumped into the flooded area where they would be destroyed.

The Eccentric Family 1-2

You guys are gonna hate me, but this just seems dumb. It feels like this should be 5-6 episodes in because it feels like there's a ton of shit you need to know before this makes any sense. I have the day off of work tomorrow so maybe I'll just blow through it, but it just hasn't "clicked" yet.

The Eccentric Family 1-2

You guys are gonna hate me, but this just seems dumb. It feels like this should be 5-6 episodes in because it feels like there's a ton of shit you need to know before this makes any sense. I have the day off of work tomorrow so maybe I'll just blow through it, but it just hasn't "clicked" yet.

Give it the 3-4 episode rule. It gets very sweet when it starts focusing on the flawed family as a whole. A very sweet tale.

If you don't like it you're welcome to your opinion.
as wrong as it is

Branduil

Girls und Panzer 4

Momo is a scrub.
LOL at missing from point-blank range, and then having the nerve to want others to do the Ankou dance.

So, in this world, we have girls playing with tanks, messing up towns, while glossing over the dangers of getting hit by a tank shell. Oh, and they live on giant ships. That's a rather eccentric setting, to say the least.

And the second half... :eek:kada, LOL.

Quasar

The Eccentric Family 1-2
It feels like this should be 5-6 episodes in because it feels like there's a ton of shit you need to know before this makes any sense.

I don't know about that. I felt it treats the audience with a bit more respect it that it doesn't handhold you to death explaining every little thing. Though I guess there is a bit of assumed knowledge happening in respect of Japanese folklore.

Aikatsu! 33

This episode has revealed that it is actually the Chronicles of WipeOut, created by Mizuki, who undoubtly, probably has a shit eating grin as everyone suffers to be at her side. (also backstory for Mizuki)

Tri-Stars debut song made me feel stupid, in that I never thought about the CD sales for this show... matter of fact, make that the potential quantity of CDs for Aikatsu!.

Man, Yurika, Otome, and Sakura sure feel useless to them! Although I can understand Sakura, she's a newbie.

In any case, it's time for the last aud-- wait, there she is! The new girl! Whatsherface!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
HITOKAGE, when you watched the first part of The Laws of the Sun, did you get like, Book of Abraham vibes from it? Like for reals, the Sci Fi elements of this part of the movie feel a lot like how some Mormons interpret or reimagine stuff. Like this feels like a weird mix of Battle Star Galactica.

Just curious if this is just me viewing things through the prism of a Mormon or if other people might see it that way. I'm only 10 minutes in so far and felt like dropping this question so it doesn't sit there itching the back of my psyche the rest of the movie.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............

I think you're giving them a blank check on pre-existence stuff, ignoring the wild differences in how the two versions actually work.

cajunator

Banned
Hidamari Sketch 05

2shaft4me. Almost completely unwatchably so.
Even so I did kind of like how the sick Yuno stuff was done to an extent and the sensei stuff was kinda funny too.

my mind is just saddened by this. Sad brain.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren - 02

Why isn't she a supporting character alongside Nibutani, Deko, and Kumin. :(

And based Nibutani returned to her old looks, thank god.

I look forward to seeing more of this lovely woman here

If you're browsing in public, just disable images! You can never be too safe.

That ruins the fun. I prefer to view this thread at work as is. Its an adventure!

Man that terrifying feel when you're browsing in public and there's some NSFW image at the bottom of the page. You try to click new page and your browser crashes because your school internet sucks and the .gif is killing you slowly.

Anime thread is still safer to browse at work than Pics of tits and ass and reposts that make you laugh thread.

These are the moments when we truly feek alive Corvy!

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 33

This episode has revealed that it is actually the Chronicles of WipeOut, created by Mizuki, who undoubtly, probably has a shit eating grin as everyone suffers to be at her side. (also backstory for Mizuki)

Tri-Stars debut song made me feel stupid, in that I never thought about the CD sales for this show... matter of fact, make that the potential quantity of CDs for Aikatsu!.

Man, Yurika, Otome, and Sakura sure feel useless to them! Although I can understand Sakura, she's a newbie.

In any case, it's time for the last aud-- wait, there she is! The new girl! Whatsherface!

I don't think we have to worry about Yurika anymore. Pretty sure she's dead. RIP Yurika.

cajunator

Banned
You guys aren't living wildly enough. Now links from the pixiv artists I follow on twitter, that's risky business.

He speaks the truth!

Oh hey I just realized I can take pics of anime with my PS4. Now I can be part of the cool gang that reviews stuff with images.

Hold on to your knick knacks. You're about to get Admiral'd anime reviews.

ill try this out myself. How is it done?

Late, but here's what I ordered anime-wise from RightStuf's many days of Christmas.

Nice pick ups! Arakawa is pretty refreshing in particular.

He speaks the truth!

ill try this out myself. How is it done?

I think it might end up being easier to screen cap on a computer. I was gonna do it via crunchyroll and screencap'ing the current scene. But then there's a lot of other stuff you gotta do before you have it with you on a computer.

I'm 4 episodes into Hakkenden and it's pretty decent outside of the yaoi overtones. I was able to watch K, so as long as it never goes past this I can watch it. But I had my suspicion once DTL gave it a review with such flying colors haha. I am enjoying it though.

CorvoSol

The Laws of the Sun

So this time around the idea of a plot is more or less cast aside completely for the sake of just narrating stuff instead. So we get to watch basically the entire history of the universe from the creation all the way to the Ascension of Jesus Christ Buddha.

Let me begin by saying that, for a film which espouses such incredibly homogenous, simplistic and candy-coated doctrines, The Laws of the Sun feels incredibly dense and difficult to wrap one's brain around. Revelations abound as the cosmology of the Happy Science Universe is explained. El Cantare is not THE God (in spite of the fact that in The Golden Laws He was revealed to be the Father God), but rather, El Cantare is only a 9th dimensional being created by a 13th dimensional being who is in turn the Primordial Buddha/God depending on which script we're reading. Somehow, God is both an entity who has been incarnated many times and also a concept dwelling within you. Thoth, Hermes, La Mu and Buddha are not Great Spirits as I swear they were identified in The Laws of Eternity, but all physical incarnations of El Cantare. Meanwhile, Jesus is basically the same level as Isaac Newton. I realize I'm coming at that from the wrong perspective of someone born and raised in a Christian background, but there's still something insulting there.

In fact, it's sort of hard not to find the take on anything in The Laws of the Sun not insulting in one way or another. I'm not saying you have to be excessively accurate when laying out a religion, and I won't put your beliefs too hard to a historical tack, since connections between MesoAmerican civilizations and the ones described in the Book of Mormon are leaps of faith to see as it is, but seriously, (and again I confess loudly to you, oh reader, my quite real bias so that you may judge with that in mind), I feel there's a difference to be made here. Dante the poet saw much of Classical Greco Roman theology as being an unenlightened concept of Christianity, but he was simultaneously very respectful of the myths and their proper order.

Happy Science literally could not give a fuck. They lay out an entire list of people who have been physical incarnations of God and explicitly leave Jesus out. They've managed to warp Greco-Roman mythology to the point that I have no idea what they actually think about it since Hermes was married to Aphrodite and Zeus was on par with Newton.

This leads me into my next criticism: Happy Science does not care at all what any of these persons did or taught. No mention is made of the teachings of Jesus, nor of Confucius, and only barely does it seem to bother with Buddha (who is most likely the chief religious figure in the lives of the target audience.) It's just like "Oh these people all taught be good and love therefore they were good." Or something. There is nothing definite here. I feel that if you want to weave the religious beliefs of all mankind together into a greater tapestry you can and should do a much better job than just "everybody who said be a good person to the right, please." I mean Hell, you have Moses AND Jesus, and their two teachings are interlocked. You could bother explaining that.

It's even more baffling, though, with characters like Zeus. As far as Gods go, Zeus was hardly one for teaching people morals. He was almost King before God, rather than God before King. I'm sure Hermes: Winds of Love will touch on the crazy Happy Science version of Greek theology, but in the mean time I'm just left sort of speechless.

The most amazing thing is, though, that after I've gone through all these movies I feel as if I have learned nothing about what the Happy Science religion really believes. From a stand point of Cosmology, sure. I know what they think about the after life, about the interaction of Man and Deity throughout history, about how they believe the future will play out, and how they believe that a man living today is the Reincarnation of Buddha (which is, to them, the incarnation of El Cantare who is, in turn, more or less the only God relevant to humanity). But beyond that their teachings are somehow completely lacking.

Time and time again in these movies they say "Person X was a very knowledgeable in religion" "Person X was great at religion" "Person X was great at teaching religion." And yet, in all honesty, aside from how Buddha shows up once a movie to deliver a speech about being nice to everybody at the end, I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone teach religion. And it isn't like they haven't had opportunities to show me, either! I mean you have Moses, show me how Moses taught the Law. You have Jesus, show me how Jesus taught the Gospel. You have Buddha, show me how Buddha taught people that worth came from action and not from class. You have Confucius show me some of that.

But no, instead it's "Hey did you know that Hermes wasn't the messenger of the Gods? He was a great teacher of religion!" Okay great how- NO IT IS TIME FOR A TIME SKIP AWAY WE GOOOOOOOOOO. And it's grating to me because I've spent a year or two ministering and I'm just left asking "So what exactly does being good at teaching religion entail?" I've had so many teachers and I've taught so many people in my short, short time that the question is super, super nebulous to me.

But I digress. This is all more rambling and ranting and criticism of the Happy Science Religion than any of you doubtless want to see, and I apologize for it since I am almost certain that my impartiality seeps through it in numerous places.

So let's move on to some other aspects, shall we?

Namely: SPACE RELIGION.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I actually found the space parts kinda interesting, because there are a lot of Mormons who choose to envision Mormon cosmology in a sort of sci-fi twist. Most notably, the concept of life on different planets spawning from a singular one is sort of similar to Battlestar Galactica, for instance (the original having had a fair amount of Latter Day Saint influence).

The fall of great civilizations is the nearest thing to a theme I can tell that the movie has: that the world is visited by great teachers of spiritual worth who enlighten civilizations and raise them up, only to be ignored and to have said civilizations crumble afterward. I can hardly reject this principle since I believe a form of it myself. That said, I must confess that the inclusion of both Mu and Atlantis seemed a bit odd (though it did prompt a trip to Wikipedia during which I learned that Zealandia is a real life sunken continent!)

Ultimately this movie made me realize why I think that The Rebirth of Buddha is the best work that the Happy Science Anime Department has put out. While The Laws of Eternity and The Golden Laws both made pretenses of having plots, The Rebirth of Buddha actually had a fairly solid one which moved at a decent pace. The Rebirth of Buddha also felt much more focused thematically: The heroine learns about the Rebirth of Buddha, as well as the need to tell others the truth rather than hide it for fear of repercussions (which was a theme of the film.) She and her not-boyfriend developed over the course of the film and by the end things felt like a message had been conveyed and a plot had been told and the preachiness had been pretty damn relaxed.

Meanwhile the Laws of the Sun is the polar opposite. It tries to tell too much, too fast, with no plot to speak of. The Laws of the Sun is the natural conclusion of the direction that The Golden Laws went, but that doesn't make it great. I get why it was done, but as a film it was far, far less enjoyable this way around.

I think that, fun as it is to sit back and laugh about Happy Science's crazy Sci-Fi twists (Dinosaurs were hunted to extinction by Cat People from Space), the film ultimately suffers from the same problem as the Golden Laws: it takes a "History's Greatest Religious Hits" approach to telling it's story, dumps several thousand gallons of sugar water in the middle and gives you the exceptionally half-assed, reductionist moral of "be nice to others or civilization will fall."

cajunator

Banned
I want my nipples damn it!

Only dvd for K-ON!?

this movie should only be viewed in hd. Its too pretty.

The physical abuse stuff that gets played out as being cute in chu2 is so weird. It's okay, thought Rikka. I can change him.

Auu~

I still have that one site bookmarked where you make her say au~

Kino's Journey 10

Spoiler tagging from here on out since nintendoman said I should.

It was fairly obvious after the dining room scene that the family Nanny was serving were mechanical dolls themselves. And it did become obvious that Nanny herself was a human after a while. But that story of what had happened...shit. So here was nanny, who used to be a genius mechanical engineer, living the rest of her life doing menial housework, thinking she was a mechanical doll herself after the terrorist bombing that killed her family and nearly killed her. Content as Nanny was, it's a shame to see a mind like that just be destroyed. That said, I have to consider her ultimate goal quite naive. Building mechanical dolls to do the menial stuff wasn't going to help end that dispute. Unless she had been in the lab working so long that she wasn't aware just how much the dispute escalated.

The dolls she created were...I don't know how to really describe it. Though obviously artificial, it's still striking how human they were. Their service to her went so far that they flooded the whole warring village just so Nanny would never have to relive the trauma of what she experienced. And it was ironic how they were created to serve; their existence is to serve their master, Nanny. But since Nanny thinks she's a doll, she thinks that's her purpose. And so the way they served Nanny was...to humor her and pretend to be served by her. And with nobody to serve, they jumped into the flooded area where they would be destroyed.

Yeah that episode fooled me the first time. Second time around I caught the clues. However its still a really great episode. Youve still got some really fantastic episodes ahead. I really wish there was a sequel with more stories.

CorvoSol

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............

I think you're giving them a blank check on pre-existence stuff, ignoring the wild differences in how the two versions actually work.

You're probably right. I kinda feel that my intense desire to not be a hypocrite and blast them over their beliefs sort of swings me in the opposite extreme and prevents me from making fun of some of the obviously wacky stuff.

These are the moments when we truly feek alive Corvy!

There is no rush like the rush you get when you try and cover part of your screen with your hands so that someone you will never see again in the cafeteria doesn't think you're a creepy perv lookin' and anime boobies at school cuz you can't wait till your home to do that.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
CorvoSol: Haha, well, that's what happens when you decide that The Mysterious Cities of Gold would be a great start for a belief system late at night. That show also featuring Mu, Atlantis, and the Inca.

CorvoSol

CorvoSol: Haha, well, that's what happens when you decide that The Mysterious Cities of Gold would be a great start for a belief system late at night.

Late at night is the only time to make decisions of that importance.

EDIT: I did not know that this was a show.

Syrinx

I was honestly a bit disappointed in the second half of The Laws of the Sun when they slowed it down and only focused on Buddha for pretty much the rest of the movie.

Jarmel

Banned
The ending of Chuu22 will be Rikka leaving Yuuta's apartment due to the constant abuse and moving back upstairs to her old flat. Yuuta will go up to the door in a ripped up white beater yelling "Rikka" over and over again, waking up the neighbors. She will finally come out and he will pick her up whispering "Never leave me Shingan" and carry her back to his apartment.

CorvoSol

I was honestly a bit disappointed in the second half of The Laws of the Sun when they slowed it down and only focused on Buddha for pretty much the rest of the movie.

I don't even know where they'd have gone from there, but I did appreciate that the English voice actors for the demon women took "gasps of shock and awe" to mean "orgasm into that microphone, baby."

Syrinx

I don't even know where they'd have gone from there, but I did appreciate that the English voice actors for the demon women took "gasps of shock and awe" to mean "orgasm into that microphone, baby."

Yeah, you're probably right. Should have just been paced better. Would have liked to see more of the lizard people.

cajunator

Banned
I think it might end up being easier to screen cap on a computer. I was gonna do it via crunchyroll and screencap'ing the current scene. But then there's a lot of other stuff you gotta do before you have it with you on a computer.

I'm 4 episodes into Hakkenden and it's pretty decent outside of the yaoi overtones. I was able to watch K, so as long as it never goes past this I can watch it. But I had my suspicion once DTL gave it a review with such flying colors haha. I am enjoying it though.

ill give it a try later when Im home. Any links showung how to do it?

You're probably right. I kinda feel that my intense desire to not be a hypocrite and blast them over their beliefs sort of swings me in the opposite extreme and prevents me from making fun of some of the obviously wacky stuff.

There is no rush like the rush you get when you try and cover part of your screen with your hands so that someone you will never see again in the cafeteria doesn't think you're a creepy perv lookin' and anime boobies at school cuz you can't wait till your home to do that.

Im not concerned about THAT.

Aikatsu! 34

18lMFX5.gif

Speaks English. Makes sushi. Made the auditions look like childs play. I think I found the one.

That being said, I'm starting to wonder just how the Special Appeal System works. I mean in a sense, you know Ichigo is capable of 3 SAs, but then there's like... reduced number of SA's, mainly to make someone else look good. So is there like some sort of siphon? Is like someone having more control over Nen in comparison to their opponent?

We need one final dance off I swear! Time to make best friends fight one more time! NEXT TIME STARS OF TEARS... or was it Tears of Stars, I don't give a fuck

cajunator

Banned
Aikatsu! 34

18lMFX5.gif

Speaks English. Makes sushi. Made the auditions look like childs play. I think I found the one.

That being said, I'm starting to wonder just how the Special Appeal System works. I mean in a sense, you know Ichigo is capable of 3 SAs, but then there's like... reduced number of SA's, mainly to make someone else look good. So is there like some sort of siphon? Is like someone having more control over Nen in comparison to their opponent?

We need one final dance off I swear! Time to make best friends fight one more time! NEXT TIME STARS OF TEARS... or was it Tears of Stars, I don't give a fuck

Youve got my attention now.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Corvo: I kind of have the urge to send this your way if you ever have any interest in it:

Wsi44U6.jpg

If you think that the movie raises more questions than answers, then, man.....that's just the beginning. You might find this to be simultaneously one of the most intriguing and infuriating things you've ever read.

CorvoSol

Corvo: I kind of have the urge to send this your way if you ever have any interest in it:

Wsi44U6.jpg

If you think that the movie raises more questions than answers, then, man.....that's just the beginning. You might find this to be simultaneously one of the most intriguing and infuriating things you've ever read.

I'm almost tempted to ask for it. The infuriating way these movies never share any actual teachings is what leaves me kinda baffled.

CorvoSol

This two catagory shit is dumb, you created an entire new catagory this year just so you could rig it so wolf children at leasts wins something, you should be ashamed of yourself, your no better then spike vga,Oscars,Emmy, or whatever award show your talking smack about each year.

I point the finger at you cause your the ring leader, a true real G mod would be above that.

Edit:darkside point this out earlyer.

Just saw this and I'm dying.

It has Sunny

o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom