• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aikatsu! 35

You know I made a joke about this episode, mainly because of what Mizuki was partially looking for

And the joke actually didn't come true. Ran actually fucking won. She fucking won something. She WON

Hoooooly shit! This was like... the biggest fucking surprise, and it's a bit sad, because it's the second time she had to leave her friends behind....

Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya Special 04

XK8Vxz3l.jpg

Cause entering a second story room through anything but the window is too normal for this show.

Gazoinks

From the New World 22

Field trip time! Tokyo is a nice and wholesome place! Also the Psycho Buster is anthrax!

How are the Monster Rats controlling the ogre?

Dresden

yamato - 23

This was one of those moments that strained believability even more than what the show usually demands. I can accept quite a bit of nonsense, but
Yuki not dying in the blast
was just like, what.

Everything played out as expected, down to the continued contrast between Desler and the men of Earth. I get a feeling that
he's still not dead, because he's Dr. Evil and that's just what he do, man.

Kite

It wasn't a mistake at the time. After giving up on Eccentric Family that's when I started watching Chihayafuru, which ended up being #2 on my AotY list. If people are so insistent I'll get back to it eventually.
I'm a huge Chihayafuru fan as well but you still done fucked up, big time. Eccentric Family is the superior show.

Branduil

yamato - 23

This was one of those moments that strained believability even more than what the show usually demands. I can accept quite a bit of nonsense, but
Yuki not dying in the blast
was just like, what.

Everything played out as expected, down to the continued contrast between Desler and the men of Earth. I get a feeling that
he's still not dead, because he's Dr. Evil and that's just what he do, man.

I don't think that was that crazy,
she was really far away from Second Baleras when it exploded. Now, if you want to talk messed-up physics, their necks should have snapped off and their organs should have all turned to mush when they rammed the palace at hundreds of miles per hour.

Nodame Cantabile Finale 11

Uiugwp5l.jpg

And so ends the enjoyable journey of Nodame and Chiaki through the world of music. Really enjoyable characters and such a thrill to watch through this.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 18

Lets make two dogs! Hana and Doremi!
too bad Doremi got neglected by Nishizawa

Nishizawa is in love! With a college student! STUDENT TEACHER RELATIONSHIPS!... I actually don't recall Nishizawa's age, but still! They made a big deal about it!

Unfortunately, he already has a fiance. Better luck next time!

Dresden

she was really far away from Second Baleras when it exploded. Now, if you want to talk messed-up physics, their necks should have snapped off and their organs should have all turned to mush when they rammed the palace at hundreds of miles per hour.

The blast was large enough to consume other ships in orbit around the structure, there was no way she should have survived. She got ejected out an airlock, so it wasn't like she had enough speed to get away from the explosion. So either the ejection thrusts her away faster than a spaceship or she somehow lives, unscathed, through the blast.

As for the ramming thing, I figure that they can probably absorb inertia or w/e through wave motion magic.

Gazoinks

From the New World 23

This is the worst field trip ever. On the upside, she remembered Shun. Woo! Don't really know how that'll affect the conclusion, but his Obiwaning will probably be useful.

zeroshiki

The blast was large enough to consume other ships in orbit around the structure, there was no way she should have survived. She got ejected out an airlock, so it wasn't like she had enough speed to get away from the explosion. So either the ejection thrusts her away faster than a spaceship or she somehow lives, unscathed, through the blast.

As for the ramming thing, I figure that they can probably absorb inertia or w/e through wave motion magic.

How about the absolute improbability of Kodai finding her floating around afterwards?

Enron

Banned

Oh for God's sake. STOP IT. Both of you!

Ahem, on to...

Tonari no Seki-kun OAD

Oh god.

tumblr_m2o45nhtEr1qmmguo.gif

Soma

How about the absolute improbability of Kodai finding her floating around afterwards?

Well, Starsha's sister was in the fighter ship with him and she has that weird thing where she knows where things are.

Like how when Yuki got captured she somehow "knew" that she was on that one planet.

Branduil

Newton's First Law.
She was moving away from the station and kept moving away. Just really roughly guesstimating it looks like she was moving about 100 feet per second when she exited the station. She exits at 19:20, the station blows up at 20:35. Of course time passed onscreen doesn't necessarily correlate to actual time passed, but let's just go with that for now. 75 seconds times 100 fps=7500 feet, about 1.5 miles. Based on this shot, that seems like a fair enough approximation of her distance from Second Baleras. As long as she doesn't get hit by debris, that should be survivable. And remember, even as the explosion moves outwards, she moves farther and farther away with each passing second.

As for the ships blowing up, they were right next to the station and didn't know it was going to blow up so of course they wouldn't have time to move their huge masses away.

Narras

I finally watched the second half of Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. I remember watching it on Adult Swim and having it catch my interest, but having it cancelled with no explanation made me forget about it for awhile. Watching Space Dandy made me think about former anime shows they've aired and this one came to mind. So, I went looking for it.

Anyways, after finishing it, I looked it up and saw that the anime was based off the first book of twelve in the Moribito series. Unfortunately, I found that only the first two books ever received an English translation. That made me sad. I wanted to read more about Balsa's journey. :(

Dresden

Newton's First Law.
She was moving away from the station and kept moving away. Just really roughly guesstimating it looks like she was moving about 100 feet per second when she exited the station. She exits at 19:20, the station blows up at 20:35. Of course time passed onscreen doesn't necessarily correlate to actual time passed, but let's just go with that for now. 75 seconds times 100 fps=7500 feet, about 1.5 miles. Based on this shot, that seems like a fair enough approximation of her distance from Second Baleras. As long as she doesn't get hit by debris, that should be survivable. And remember, even as the explosion moves outwards, she moves farther and farther away with each passing second.

As for the ships blowing up, they were right next to the station and didn't know it was going to blow up so of course they wouldn't have time to move their huge masses away.

1.5 miles is probably smaller than the ships themselves. I could buy into it were it not for the other vessels being consumed by the blast - but unless they're floating extremely close, the distance they'd maintained pre-blast should still be greater than that gained by Yuki upon ejection.

Time Jam: Valerian and Laureline 16
IO71T5c.gif

D'aaaaaaaaaaw they love each other. They really really do.

I shit you not folks, this is fantastic protagonist chemistry. And now the British voices just feel like I'm watching Doctor Who.

I'm starting to think the Mass Effect series drew a lot of inspiration from this book/comic series. I mean the Citadel is basically the same as the central city in this.

Mature

I finally watched the second half of Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. I remember watching it on Adult Swim and having it catch my interest, but having it cancelled with no explanation made me forget about it for awhile. Watching Space Dandy made me think about former anime shows they've aired and this one came to mind. So, I went looking for it.

Anyways, after finishing it, I looked it up and saw that the anime was based off the first book of twelve in the Moribito series. Unfortunately, I found that only the first two books ever received an English translation. That made me sad. I wanted to read more about Balsa's journey. :(
Sounds like you enjoyed the show then? If you haven't seen Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, it should be next on your list. It's a wildly different setting, but it shares the same beats of pacing and meaningful exposition due to both show's being directed and written by Kenji Kamiyama.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Monogatari SS: "Shinobu Arc"
J7PEyp0l.jpg

I just got fucking wrecked.
yBNLH2L.gif

I have faith that the Snake Arc will pay off in the final episodes, but I almost wish it didn't exist so that I didn't have to feel like I needed to power through that arc in order to get to this one. Who knew that the innocuous ending to the original Snail Arc from Monogatari ends up being such an important event?

Mk1WN5Ol.jpg

As Corvo mentioned, we also get an explicit reference to Ararararararagi's lack of agency as a "harem" protagonist, effectively pulling apart the character from the inside. That he's called a child by the two "children" in the scene only emphasizes how very much he isn't the harem protagonist at all.

One completely unrelated note is that the idea of the anti-existence reminds me of KoTOR2 of all things, where Obisidian set up the idea of the "anti-Force" at the end of that game that served as a true counterpoint to the Force. It shifts the paradigm away from Good vs Evil (or Human vs Oddity) into something much more abstract as Existence vs Non-Existence. At the very least, it explains why the Snake arc had to happen, because she was lying all this time, denying her existence.

And in way, although each season has a specific theme, you can see this as a theme that is a central through-line for the entire series - that lying, denying your existence, is a destructive activity. In fact, it's more destructive than any consequences telling the truth might have.

This show is just amazing.

Branduil

1.5 miles is probably smaller than the ships themselves. I could buy into it were it not for the other vessels being consumed by the blast - but unless they're floating extremely close, the distance they'd maintained pre-blast should still be greater than that gained by Yuki upon ejection.

They look like they're pretty close in this shot. Anyways my 1.5 mile distance should be taken with a huge grain of salt since I randomly guessed her speed based on her movement against a backdrop of stars which is kind of impossible and also assumed that 1 second of show time equals 1 second of real time. If you compare the shot of Yuki and the shot of the ships next to Second Baleras, Yuki is definitely further away!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Time Jam: Valerian and Laureline 16
IO71T5c.gif

D'aaaaaaaaaaw they love each other. They really really do.

I shit you not folks, this is fantastic protagonist chemistry. And now the British voices just feel like I'm watching Doctor Who.

I'm starting to think the Mass Effect series drew a lot of inspiration from this book/comic series. I mean the Citadel is basically the same as the central city in this.

Hah, you know, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of Doctor Who inspiration in the original, given how the relationship is very "Companion" like. At least, from what I know of Doctor Who anyway. But yeah, they do have pretty good chemistry - much like Han and Leia in Empire.

I think it's getting dusty in here...

Dresden

They look like they're pretty close in this shot. Anyways my 1.5 mile distance should be taken with a huge grain of salt since I randomly guessed her speed based on her movement against a backdrop of stars which is kind of impossible and also assumed that 1 second of show time equals 1 second of real time. If you compare the shot of Yuki and the shot of the ships next to Second Baleras, Yuki is definitely further away!

Yeah, how did she get that far??? Even if we take the 1.5 mile distance, considering the distance of the ships from the structure, no matter the distance gained after the blast it still shouldn't be much farther than what the ships had maintained before it, and there's also the issue of her surviving the debris field - as she is found within it - which kinda boggles the mind.
But then, I guess this is Yamato in the end.

Gazoinks

Tonari no Seki-kun OAD

Woo, two more episodes of Seki-kun! Both were funny, although I liked the second half more. Nice seeing emotions besides surprise and disapproval from Yokoi, and it was just plain funny. Shogi is still best though.

DAMN YOU GOLD GENERAL.

Narras

Sounds like you enjoyed the show then? If you haven't seen Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, it should be next on your list. It's a wildly different setting, but it shares the same beats of pacing and meaningful exposition due to both show's being directed and written by Kenji Kamiyama.
Yes, I really enjoyed Moribito and I've already watched Ghost in the Shell: SAC. The show had me the moment I saw it had cyberpunk elements to it. :)

For now, I've been going through the old OTs and "Anime of Year" topics making a list of shows that catch my interest. I feel like I've missed out on a lot of anime that I would like. LOL

Dresden

yamato - 24

2qn57Jk.jpg
BFvjuAX.jpg

the sismance is eternal

I guess my one dissatisfaction with the episode is
not leaving the Kodai Bros. storyline alone. It brought it up again when it was no longer needed - Sanada's recollection of it was conclusion enough, I thought, but clearly the writers disagreed. I know it's supposed to be a hashing out of things before the return home, but in this case, it felt too contrived.

Not that I didn't get all touchy feely and shit when
the recording was played.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
yamato - 24

not leaving the Kodai Bros. storyline alone. It brought it up again when it was no longer needed - Sanada's recollection of it was conclusion enough, I thought, but clearly the writers disagreed. I know it's supposed to be a hashing out of things before the return home, but in this case, it felt too contrived.

Do you mean touchy feely in that you were frisky?!

Also, I wish they just played volleyball for that pro Tony Scott reference.

Snail
went out like a champ.
She really, really did.

Branduil

Yeah, how did she get that far??? Even if we take the 1.5 mile distance, considering the distance of the ships from the structure, no matter the distance gained after the blast it still shouldn't be much farther than what the ships had maintained before it, and there's also the issue of her surviving the debris field - as she is found within it - which kinda boggles the mind.
But then, I guess this is Yamato in the end.

Well, like I said,
it's just a guesstimate. If she was instead moving at 200 feet per second, and the passed time was 90 seconds instead of 75, she's suddenly over 300 feet away. The thing about space is it makes it kind of ridiculously hard to properly judge distance, so we're all just guessing. You either trust the show is being honest about how far away she is or don't. But like I said, this show plays extremely loose with physics from the beginning, and this is far from the most egregious example in even this episode, but maybe that's just me.

zeroshiki

I have to agree with Dresden there. Episodes 24-26 were pretty unnecessarily drawn out. Everything that happened there could have been cut and/or edited to fit one episode.

Branduil

yamato - 24

I'll forgive it if only for the hilarity of
Mamoru being so awesome he gets to Iskandar before everyone else and impregnates the alien princess of a barren world while dying.

Gazoinks

I'll forgive it if only for the hilarity of
Mamoru being so awesome he gets to Iskandar before everyone else and impregnates the alien princess of a barren world while dying.

Wasn't he still alive in the original? That's even more hilarious.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have to agree with Dresden there. Episodes 24-26 were pretty unnecessarily drawn out. Everything that happened there could have been cut and/or edited to fit one episode.
The ending is, in a way, basically when Old Spock shows up in the first Star Trek movie. Given what the show is doing as a remakeboot, I sort of understand the need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom