• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Here I thought you watched the manly stuff! It's basically a lot of gratuitous violence, a little bit of crazy, and scantily clad women in the first Goku: Midnight Eye. Second is just weird shit.

Here's a Ninja Scroll trailer though given Kawajiri stuff is mostly cut from the same cloth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ4-uxEq4wE#t=41s

Must be why I'm liking it!

I am still relatively new to watching things that don't involve giant robots.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So they're not only awful, they're ludicrously expensive? Uh, are they an ingredient in a lot of things or something?

They're only expensive here because extremely niche imported perishables are always higher in the inland US. Cajun once told me that he can get them for like $5 each in Louisiana, which is probably the most I'd pay to try one.

Theonik

We'll learn you yet.
What we need is to get him to watch a Magical Girl anime with Giant Robots.

If it wasn't Scamco it would have been Miyukichi and Sugita too :(
Scamco can't be helped.

Best DLC ever.
image.php

So they're not only awful, they're ludicrously expensive? Uh, are they an ingredient in a lot of things or something?
They are imported and EXTREMELY popular among several Asian populations (so much that their consumption in public transport in these countries is prohibited) from where they originate. They are willing to pay $$ for them hence the prices.

Nisekoi 2

The material is cliche, but there's some genuinely good comedic timing and energy that makes this enjoyable to watch. I guess I'll see how long Naoyuki Tatsuwa can keep this up.

CorvoSol

Just watch Robutt Girls Z Corvo. I know that's what Theonik was getting at!

I'm sort of split on that. On the one hand, Shard hates it, and I consider that a possibility that I will like it (since Shard hates E7 and I love that), on the other hand, I still really don't know enough Mazinger.

Narag

I'm sort of split on that. On the one hand, Shard hates it, and I consider that a possibility that I will like it (since Shard hates E7 and I love that), on the other hand, I still really don't know enough Mazinger.

If you watched Shin Mazinger, you know enough for it.

Syrinx

They're only expensive here because extremely niche imported perishables are always higher in the inland US. Cajun once told me that he can get them for like $5 each in Louisiana, which is probably the most I'd pay to try one.

5 bucks is still pretty steep for one piece of fruit. But I guess if they're not that common it kinda makes sense. I've never seen one in a supermarket here in NC, but maybe I'm not paying enough attention. Or I'd have to got to a different store.

Midonin

Ano Hana The Movie

I'd say the movie was about half recap, half new content. In that regard, it did a good job conjuring up the same feelings as the series. I will admit that Okada's style can be very heavy emotionally and not necessarily subtle, but if the purpose of storytelling is to move emotions, than this movie certainly did that. The recap content was transitioned into well enough, but as for the new content.

Things didn't advance much further than they did at the TV series' end, but it's only been a year since the conclusion. Seeing everybody be friends did give the movie a different feel from the show. Lots of individual meditation. The best parts were probably the new framing devices in the past with Menma. The Pokemon-like game that everyone was a fan of played a larger role in the plot in influencing Menma's friendship with everybody, and the hide and seek was also given more context.

The coda about Menma saying that it doesn't matter what she reincarnates as was a cute finale. It emphasizes how much seeing everyone's perspectives besides Jintan's makes the story feel more complete.

I also got a free card signed by the staff, as did everyone who attended. It's a nice memento.

Final Thoughts: Of the Okada-based movies, I liked Hanasaku Iroha's a little more, but this one was still a heartwarming evening. Many tears and many feels were had.

cajunator

Banned
Ever watch Wicked City or Ninja Scroll, Corvo? Same director, same feel.

Dont watch ninja scroll. Its horrible. Or maybe thats the sequel.

I liked when Anthony Bourdain once called the taste "like french-kissing your dead grandmother". I've still never tried durian because they're sixteen fukken dollars each in Ohio, but, much like many anime, the legends surrounding durian's purported terribleness only further compel me to want to try it.

it actually just has a pungent smell. Not really stinky just a very very intense fruit/plant smell. I like the smell of it.
As for price, I usually buy the frozen sliced durian from Aroyo. The smell is reduced in this condition too (till it thaws)

I legit think durian is delicious. But I also have chronic allergies, so I my nose is always stuffed.

But then again, I also love bitter melon, so maybe I just like flavours that are unusual because everything in the typical diet is either salty, spicy, or sweet.

Do you like onions?
Durian has a strong onion aftertaste but contains a huge amount of sugar. It has traces of citrus and banas and pineapple at first. I love it.

JoeFu

Banned
Space Dandy 3

I love this show. I don't care that it doesn't make sense or there's no continuity. Just gotta go with the flow with this one and enjoy it for what it is.

Best DLC ever.

the star driver dlc in Tales of xillia is trully so awesome , having all the cast using lines from star driver in battle really made the battle "different" ..
A jude screaming " GINGA BEEEAAAAM" when he throw his fist around made the time passed in those fields so much more fun.

Space Dandy 3:
Amazing. That was the best episode yet, and by a wide margin. The jokes were the funniest they've yet to be, and they did a great job with the story progression, which was largely just balls to the walls insanity, but it all held up under a really strong story structure. I was also really impressed with the music in this episode, more than I have been previously.

After watching this episode, I'm completely sold on Space Dandy being as good as everyone hoped it could be. Simply beautiful in motion.

CorvoSol

That's a lot of OCD work for a throwaway gag anime!

I still haven't watched Carnival Phantasm for similar reasons!

But I'm going to watch Great and Grendizer eventually anyway. When I finish Getter and Gundam I'll watch Do You Remember Love, Great General of Darkness, War in the Pocket, and if Getter has an accompanying OVA I'll do that. Then I'll move on to Macross Plus, Great Mazinger, Zeta Gundam and Getter G.

Narag

But I'm going to watch Great and Grendizer eventually anyway. When I finish Getter and Gundam I'll watch Do You Remember Love, Great General of Darkness, War in the Pocket, and if Getter has an accompanying OVA I'll do that. Then I'll move on to Macross Plus, Great Mazinger, Zeta Gundam and Getter G.

Putting off DYRL is one of the classic blunders.

Quasar

It's funny. I'll drop an anime if it turns to garbage. But I HAVE to finish a game I get at least 2/3 through, even if it's not fun anymore (IE Tales of Graces.)

I tend to treat games as other media. Give them an hour or so to win me over and drop them like a stone once I realise its not fun anymore. Probably why I rarely buy full priced games anymore.

Shergal

Dandy 3
On the one hand, it feels sluggish at times, especially when they waste time with cliched and out of place jokes.
But on the other hand, everything's done really well outside of that. When they go for something groovy, or build up the atmosphere, the adventure of the day and the token set piece, it's some of the most entertaining stuff I've seen in a while. I'm surprised at how well the animation and directing is holding up so far, you couldn't even say there was a drop after the premiere (hell I think ep 2 even improved on it) and the preview for episode 4 looks like they'll be keeping the standard. I guess it's the advantage of having such a large and varied pool of staff that can take care of a lot of episodes with a very high standard. Connections and stuff man.

mAcOdIn

Alright, lets get one thing out of the way first. I accidentally watched the first episode of Recently My Little Sister is Unusual. It was terrible but beyond that I'm having trouble understanding the title of the show. How does the main character know she's just "recently" been acting strange when this is the first time they've ever met? Hell, maybe she acted this way her whole life? Why not just call the show My New Little Sister is Unusual? Anyways, needless to say since I didn't actually mean to even pick it up it's been dropped and I will be more vigilant in what I click on with the remote from now on.

Moving on, I started watching Psychic Squad which has so far been a fun show.

Seitokai Yakuindomo continues being completely unfunny and his since been dropped.

Magical Warfare seems so boring. The way everyone gets their powers has got to be one of the most convenient and stupid setups for a show ever and the girl with the gun has cockroach hair? Screw this.

Kill la Kill continues being awesome. I don't know why but something about the repetition actually works for me. Although it feels like it's about time the real bad guys start showing up, I can't really imagine Satsuki and company being the true antagonists.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Corvo: Ryuho Okawa is basically as close to an American evangelical neoconservative as you can get without actually being an American or Christian. He considers China to be the world's largest threat to ideological freedom and America its greatest defender, so the whole premise in Mystical Laws is essentially a screed against America's path toward godless progressiveism and its "milquetoast liberal" administration.

This whole "weakness inviting a China takeover" yellow panic bullshit is 100% out of the tea party propaganda playbook, so it's certainly crazy to see the same thing come from within a different culture. Part of Okawa's obsession is just typical far-right-wing Japanese militarism, but he also has an enormous fixation on America and particularly the Republican Party, which he views as what Happy Science could be if it actually gained traction as a political force in Japan. Just look up youtube videos of Okawa communicating with Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich's "guardian spirits" for examples of this.

vocab

Finished Rose of Versailles after 6-7 years of watching it. Now onto Saint Seiya for the first time. I don't watch much new stuff. I am watching the Yamato Remake, but other than that, I'm just kicking it old school. Maybe Yawara after Saint Seiya. Who knows.

CorvoSol

See the movie.

I will! Just as soon as Getter and Gundam are wrapped up.

Corvo: Ryuho Okawa is basically as close to an American evangelical neoconservative as you can get without actually being an American or Christian. He considers China to be the world's largest threat to ideological freedom and America its greatest defender, so the whole premise in Mystical Laws is essentially a screed against America's path toward godless progressiveism and its "milquetoast liberal" administration.

This whole "weakness inviting a China takeover" yellow panic bullshit is 100% out of the tea party propaganda playbook, so it's certainly crazy to see the same thing come from within a different culture. Part of Okawa's obsession is just typical far-right-wing Japanese militarism, but he also has an enormous fixation on America and particularly the Republican Party, which he views as what Happy Science could be if it actually gained traction as a political force in Japan. Just look up youtube videos of Okawa communicating with Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich's "guardian spirits" for examples of this.

You know, yeah. If this movie had been made by some crazy tea party people it would actually have made a lot more sense what was being said. And maybe the ridiculous space alien part would not be in the film.

Also I guess he inserted his second wife into the movie?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Mystical Laws
I find it hilarious how you've finally lost patience here.

Although, regrettably, I must walk you back just a step. Thoth, Rient Arl Croud, Hermes, and the rest are parts of El Cantare's spirit. Think the parts of Shabranigdo in Slayers. As explained in The Laws of the Sun, it's only the modern reincarnation that represents the main part of El Cantare's soul. Although as I mentioned in a past post, this isn't quite the last and greatest dispensation for them as Jesus is to be reborn as Satoru, and then Moses again 400 years after that to then integrate humanity with galactic societies and whatever.

Dresden

Thoth, Rient Arl Croud, Hermes, and the rest are parts of El Cantare's spirit. Think the parts of Shabranigdo in Slayers. As explained in The Laws of the Sun, it's only the modern reincarnation that represents the main part of El Cantare's soul. Although as I mentioned in a past post, this isn't quite the last and greatest dispensation for them as Jesus is to be reborn as Satoru, and then Moses again 400 years after that to then integrate humanity with galactic societies and whatever.

This is more complicated than I expected.

cajunator

Banned
Alright, lets get one thing out of the way first. I accidentally watched the first episode of Recently My Little Sister is Unusual. It was terrible but beyond that I'm having trouble understanding the title of the show. How does the main character know she's just "recently" been acting strange when this is the first time they've ever met? Hell, maybe she acted this way her whole life? Why not just call the show My New Little Sister is Unusual? Anyways, needless to say since I didn't actually mean to even pick it up it's been dropped and I will be more vigilant in what I click on with the remote from now on.

Moving on, I started watching Psychic Squad which has so far been a fun show.

Seitokai Yakuindomo continues being completely unfunny and his since been dropped.

Magical Warfare seems so boring. The way everyone gets their powers has got to be one of the most convenient and stupid setups for a show ever and the girl with the gun has cockroach hair? Screw this.

Kill la Kill continues being awesome. I don't know why but something about the repetition actually works for me. Although it feels like it's about time the real bad guys start showing up, I can't really imagine Satsuki and company being the true antagonists.

You accidentally watched it huh. I see..
honestly Im probably going to drop it myself.

The recently implies that the change is recent .If you don't put something before the "my sister is unusual" , you imply that she is always unusual and while the premise might be the same it has less power ..
However with "recenty" , you can make the reader / viewer expect to see the reason of the change in behaviour since it's what the show is based on.
You can also make it pass as a "usual sentence one might say" grounding the viewer to expect something related to the change in question.

To make thing simple , it's a classic trick to try to generate more awareness at the subconsious level.

CorvoSol

Hyouka 6

Chitanda is a moron who cannot understand basic concepts. Like everything.

Mayaka is the best because she treats Hotaro like the shitty loser he is.

Hotaro is a shitty loser.

Satoshi should've been the protagonist.

I find it hilarious how you've finally lost patience here.

Although, regrettably, I must walk you back just a step. Thoth, Rient Arl Croud, Hermes, and the rest are parts of El Cantare's spirit. Think the parts of Shabranigdo in Slayers. As explained in The Laws of the Sun, it's only the modern reincarnation that represents the main part of El Cantare's soul. Although as I mentioned in a past post, this isn't quite the last and greatest dispensation for them as Jesus is to be reborn as Satoru, and then Moses again 400 years after that to then integrate humanity with galactic societies and whatever.

Okay sure except that still leaves us with two separate guys who are the Reincarnation of Buddha.

I meant putting it off after the TV series!

It's not like I'm going to forget what a horrible human being Hikaru Ichijo is in the next week or two it takes me to wrap up Getter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom