• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

He quickly goes from a calculated killer, to a complete buffoon.

When was Gauron ever a calculating killer? The very first scene he's in he murders one of his contacts. He gets the jump on Sousuke after that mostly because Sousuke keeps expecting him to stay dead. Gauron has always been about doing things for the sake of being a horrible person. The only reason his employers put up with him is because he's good in a fight, not because he's an evil genius.

So my dad asked me if there were any good, fun anime like Fruits Basket I'd recommend to him. He then said he looked up popular stuff on the internet and came up with Fairy Tale and Recently My Sister Is Unusual. ;_;

So anyway after resisting the temptation to recommend Utena or Madoka, I told him to watch Bunny Drop.

Bunny Drop was a good recommendation.

Jarmel

Banned
When was Gauron ever a calculating killer? The very first scene he's in he murders one of his contacts. He gets the jump on Sousuke after that mostly because Sousuke keeps expecting him to stay dead. Gauron has always been about doing things for the sake of being a horrible person. The only reason his employers put up with him is because he's good in a fight, not because he's an evil genius.

Gauron is very clearly a psychopath. He enjoys killing for the sake of killing. While he can be professional, he definitely gets off on a good fight.

2nd Raid really crystallized this.

cnet128

Banned
ImoCho 3

Mitsuki is too adorable. That little flashback where she was trying to give her mum emotional support was...hnnnnngh.

Her brother continues to be the most generic "protag guy" ever, with his only claims to originality being that he's a) even more oblivious than most harem protags, and b) even less relevant than most harem protags, since he basically gave up on being the viewpoint character about halfway through the first episode and never looked back.

New girl is extremely meh. I will accept her presence only in flashbacks, since it looks like she was a potentially cute tomboy back in the Distant Past. These days she's just a bland onee-san with far too much :chet. Although she does seem to
possibly have the ability to see Hiyori
, which could lead to interesting things, particularly since
Hiyori seems to think they had met while she was alive

Oh god I just came up with an awful theory about Hiyori that is probably 100% accurate.
What if she wasn't human at all when she was alive. She was probably the brother's pet or something, wasn't she. It makes too much sense.

In all honesty though, I will agree in that Doki's finale doesn't really "offend" me, but I am bothered by the fact that civilians seem to only really give a shit about one particular person of the group.

Aikatsu! 38

gydp3Tq.jpg

My reaction when Otome forms her independent unit/harem... with Shion and not Yurika:

etiOTAt.jpg

I mean god damn, Yurika really got thrown under the bus here.

And the first thing they did when she appeared was focusing 3 seconds on her ass because the sun was shining on it (she's wearing pants but nsfw anyway

Funny enough, because of that, Mizuki found her replacement third member of the team, Yurika!

But really man, it's like suddenly, they remembered Shion exists, and made it seem like she existed on screen all this time. Shion weeps.

So my dad asked me if there were any good, fun anime like Fruits Basket I'd recommend to him. He then said he looked up popular stuff on the internet and came up with Fairy Tale and Recently My Sister Is Unusual. ;_;

So anyway after resisting the temptation to recommend Utena or Madoka, I told him to watch Bunny Drop.

You did Well.

Now you should be ready for the next thing to recommand him because he 's going to get back for more !

Future Card BuddyFight - Episode 3 [Dub]

"Are you ready humans!"

This dancing kid really annoys me. Perhaps the original isn't as bad but that was grating. The rules of this game still aren't explained although we are promised this next week apperently.

Episode 3 Buddy Count*: 41

*The amount of times the word 'buddy' is said in this episode.

CorvoSol

Gauron is very clearly a psychopath. He enjoys killing for the sake of killing. While he can be professional, he definitely gets off on a good fight.

2nd Raid really crystallized this.

Yeah, I mean, there can be a method to his madness from time to time,
like luring Sousuke to him in the Second Raid
, but he's not like
Leonard, who was definitely more "calculating".

Sigma makes it pretty clear that Gauron's employers
never trusted him to be smart, or even to stick to their plans.
Which is why he went by the codename of
Mr. Fe. Because Iron cannot combine with Mercury to create an Amalgam.

survivor

Banned
Flowers of Evil 8

The first 5 minutes of the episode were just amazing. I can't think at the moment of any anime that I have watched before that pulled something like this before. Just going for so long without any dialogues at all relying solely on background music.

Flowers of Evil 8

The first 5 minutes of the episode were just amazing. I can't think at the moment of any anime that I have watched before that pulled something like this before. Just going for so long without any dialogues at all relying solely on background music.

That was a really brave decision which proved controversial, but for me at least was extremely effective. I could bask in the atmosphere that wordless sequence created forever.

Gazoinks

Flowers of Evil 8

Yes! I've said this before, but taken as one extended sequence, the end of ep 7 and the beginning of ep 8 is one of the most powerful sequences in any anime I've seen.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, I mean, there can be a method to his madness from time to time,
like luring Sousuke to him in the Second Raid
, but he's not like
Leonard, who was definitely more "calculating".

Sigma makes it pretty clear that Gauron's employers
never trusted him to be smart, or even to stick to their plans.
Which is why he went by the codename of
Mr. Fe. Because Iron cannot combine with Mercury to create an Amalgam.

I always viewed Gauron and Leonard as foils for Sagara. Gauron represented the worst aspects of war, in that Gauron enjoyed the bloodlust while Sagara just viewed it as a job of sorts. Gauron reveled in war and the pain and suffering it caused, while Sagara never tried to get emotionally involved. Leonard is a somewhat more extreme version of Sagara that is calculating to a fault.

Kazzy

I mean purely in terms of self-preservation, because say what you will about him being unhinged, he did always show a wherewithal to make it to the next encounter.
I just think that his actions in the final few episodes seemed really strange, especially given his earlier resourcefulness in how he inserted himself into those situations.

CorvoSol

I always viewed Gauron and Leonard as foils for Sagara. Gauron represented the worst aspects of war, in that Gauron enjoyed the bloodlust while Sagara just viewed it as a job of sorts. Gauron reveled in war and the pain and suffering it caused, while Sagara never tried to get emotionally involved. Leonard is a somewhat more extreme version of Sagara that is calculating to a fault.

I actually see Leonard more as a foil to Chidori than Sousuke, because Leonard represents a lot of the negative traits she could have
and develops as Sofia. Leonard's second in command is the better foil to Sousuke.

I mean purely in terms of self-preservation, because say what you will about him being unhinged, he did always show a wherewithal to make it to the next encounter.
I just think that his actions in the final few episodes seemed really strange, especially given his earlier resourcefulness in how he inserted himself into these situations.

I dunno, because from the last few episodes until
his appearance in The Second Raid, Gauron's lack of concern for his own life is a big part of his character.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I dunno. I still loved it though! Not as much as the first cour, but hell, I loved it still.

I unconditionally just love the show and I can't explain why.

It just has everything I need in anime. Cute girls, robots, space.
I would have said I liked Madoka, until Hajime from Gachaman Crowds came around and just blew her out of the water.

But man, the second season being forced to take place in the same exact town... especially after how it all ends? That's just too bad.

Ace of the Diamond Episode 15
BeTrUGpIYAAMqHa.jpg

Best line of dialogue choice, reminds me of those mini comics fans made for the series.

But on a more canon note, intense and powerful episode, baseball training is extremely hard and that fatigue on them seemed incredible. Commendations are due to the three first years for getting through it all though Kominato seemed to suffer most while Furuya at least had firey passion and Eijun is just compatible always. Though the bath scene still did show them all completely wore out.

coach coming on in the final minutes to throw the balls was the most heart pounding moment. Everyone written so well and so strongly dedicated to this. Either the last years match was pretty bad or they really want to win this year, I cant wait to see how it goes and how compatible they are with Furuya and Eijun.

Seemed like a few minor manga changes
Miyuki seemed to refer to the pitcher and him having a conversation but that didnt seem like it took place this episode. Other conversations took place in different locations (Eijun and Furuya with Miyuki breaking ball convo took place immediately after game in manga, but here took place in the cafeteria)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Diamond no Ace Episode 15:

SHONEN EMOTIONS can be so very amusing. Anyway, it is the first week of training camp and the first year first-stringers are being run through hell to really test their resolve and at maximum fatigue levels. Yea, I was kept thoroughly engaged with this episode and I look forward to the game next week .

CorvoSol

Well, I guess I should watch The Second Raid, before I know too much!

Well there you go.

So, among the evils that Nazi China is forcing on innocent Japan, such as stripping away its rights and outlawing its language, it's forcing the Japanese to acknowledge their crimes during the two world wars! Because you know, owning up to what you did wrong is as evil as having your right to speaking your own language.

Dokidoki precure - 48

"Quick let us use our magical cheat code to find his weakspot !"

"I'm going ! "

"Can you do it ?"

"What are you talking about ? i'm Mana the cheat code and you all as my harem members it's no use to complain !"

*Pick up Kamina glasses *
"WHO DO YOU THINK I AM ?"

So cliché it's entertaining ...
OMG the "MANA POWER" is in place !

Eh did they thought this was a the right moment to show alice mother ?

Ok i must admit this episode was MUCH MUCH better than 47 ..
For those disapointed by 47 , rejoice , 48 is MUCH MUCH better

It had ..actual animation, it had cool moments it had what i wanted ..but just a little ..
i'm not even sure .
Now i can safely say that dokidoki precure climb up a little in my ranking ..... it's back being an average season.
I won't lie .... the potential i saw during the first episodes was trully lost , so this mean that this finale is "alright" .48 was like the best episode in while that focused on battles ( don't remember just how long i waited to see actual fights done by the cast that were intresting to look at ).

I hav NO idea if this episode was "good" or if it's the fact that i lowered my expectation so low that it became good.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 37

Are they allowed to just form that unit between Ichigo and Aoi and giving them all of these new duties and such without telling them? Not that they'd be against it, but it seems in bad taste to bring you to the auditorium and announce that hey, you're in a unit now. Surprise! Here's your massive workload. Also how are they already so huge before their first performance when neither of them is as popular as Mizuki?

Ran, it's great you're joining Ichigo and Aoi in Soliel and all, but at least be honest; you didn't quit Tristar, Mizuki fired you.

So anyway, is Mizuki's group still Tristar even though it only has two members? Shouldn't they be Bistar?

Thoraxes

I would have said I liked Madoka, until Hajime from Gachaman Crowds came around and just blew her out of the water.

But man, the second season being forced to take place in the same exact town... especially after how it all ends? That's just too bad.
I haven't watched that yet, but a lot of people have told me I would more than likely love Hajime. It's on my list for sure.

And yeah, I know. I was hoping for space too :/

But they upped the friendship!

Nisekoi - 2

Still loving this, even though I hate myself for it. I haven't watched any romcom anime in a while, and I'm a sucker for Shaftisms. So, there you go.

I'm not even going to defend it. It's an adaptation of apparently pretty bland source material (I've never read the manga so I'm just going by what I've heard) gussied up with that signature Shaft style.

Dat Takehito Koyasu as Claude, though.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Kurokuro's Basketball 1 - end

Like most sports movies and tv shows I realized Seirin was definitely not going to win the championship in one go. And I think it's better than way since it gives time to develop the players in an interesting way.

Watching Kise go up against Aonime was intense as all hell.

Kuroko's Basketball 2 Episode 1

"A new challenger has appeared!."

Learning about little American Kagami and his adventures in street ball was interesting departure. The variety in accents was pretty funny.

Aikatsu! 37

Are they allowed to just form that unit between Ichigo and Aoi and giving them all of these new duties and such without telling them? Not that they'd be against it, but it seems in bad taste to bring you to the auditorium and announce that hey, you're in a unit now. Surprise! Here's your massive workload. Also how are they already so huge before their first performance when neither of them is as popular as Mizuki?

Ran, it's great you're joining Ichigo and Aoi in Soliel and all, but at least be honest; you didn't quit Tristar, Mizuki fired you.

So anyway, is Mizuki's group still Tristar even though it only has two members? Shouldn't they be Bistar?

It's a temporary problem to say the least.

Kazzy

Girls und Panzer 12

You know, now that I think about it, what I like about this show is that, despite the absurd premise, it's actually a better sports show than most sports shows.

That's exactly what I was saying! It's precisely why it works, because it is utterly stupid at its core - but it treats it all with the utmost seriousness.

cnet128

Banned
Nisekoi 2

Okay, I enjoyed this one much more than the first episode. Either the show is getting into its groove, or I'm just getting more used to the combination of Nisekoi and rampant Shaft-isms, but I thought the pacing and the comedy and stuff all felt more natural and enjoyable this time around.

Also I think I'm sloooowly getting used to HanaKana as Onodera. In a couple episodes I might even be able to listen to her talking without it feeling weird. (Even with the weirdness, though, Onodera is still so best girl it hurts.)

CorvoSol

Speaking of Rinne, am I the only one who kinda felt that Yurikano was in the way? Girl needed to shove off. I mean I guess the dudes in the show are probably desperate since they're stuck outside the garden (except Vilaguillio, since Muginami loves him about as much as Madoka), but geez. Yurikano pops up and every single dude in the show is like "HOHOHO, I WANT HER FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Jarmel

Banned
Samurai Flamenco-13

Oh boy at that ending. Oh boy. This show is my VVV replacement in that it's fucking awful but still manages to be entertaining.

It might have been a decent show if it had twice the runtime to let stuff develop more naturally.

cajunator

Banned
Speaking of Rinne, am I the only one who kinda felt that Yurikano was in the way? Girl needed to shove off. I mean I guess the dudes in the show are probably desperate since they're stuck outside the garden (except Vilaguillio, since Muginami loves him about as much as Madoka), but geez. Yurikano pops up and every single dude in the show is like "HOHOHO, I WANT HER FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Madoka kept her bitches in line and pure so someone had to cater to the men otherwise they would have been frustrated and unable to perform.
wait no thats not right...

Thoraxes

I could see it.
Suddenly Rinne no lagrange everywhere and its so good!
All this thread needs now is Laffintyspin.gif
Done.

9kj08.gif

CorvoSol

Madoka kept her bitches in line and pure so someone had to cater to the men otherwise they would have been frustrated and unable to perform.

All I'm saying is that we already HAD one imouto princess with a villainous older brother. Yurikano is just Lan's role with Muginami's tits.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't watched that yet, but a lot of people have told me I would more than likely love Hajime. It's on my list for sure.

And yeah, I know. I was hoping for space too :/

But they upped the friendship!

So much finger-sex. lol

Dokidoki precure - 48

Ok i must admit this episode was MUCH MUCH better than 47 ..
For those disapointed by 47 , rejoice , 48 is MUCH MUCH better
73o431nl.jpg

TdiSN2kl.jpg

Hmmm...

yurikano was in the way

Maru !

So much finger-sex. lol

73o431nl.jpg

TdiSN2kl.jpg

Hmmm...

Sorry but the "i love you" has already been done in the first mid season finale ...reusing it again felt lame and unnecessary.
In the mid season finale. Regina choose death to allow mana to live , sacrificing herself so that mana can live. Why does that "i love you failed" when "this" one worked ?

Nisekoi - 2

Great ClariS OP song! Definitely liking the setup to the show...depending on how things go this could end up being one of my favorite new shows of the season :D.

Quasar

Bungaku Shoujo - The movie. I enjoyed it for the most part. Now I know it tells a chunk of a long light novel series. I'm wondering if the series gives any more of a glimpse of the future than the movie does. It seems my access to the series, in terms of legal and illegal means with respect to digital is basically none.

So anyone care to spoil me if there's anything to spoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom