• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Nanoha I can't really judge in the overall sense yet so I can't agree or disagree with any statements of that measure at this juncture.

Vito

Banned
Only if you do husbandos too.

The problem is, Pash and other magazines don't have any dedicated people scanning it, just random reuploads to minitokyo and the quality often blows (weird colors, didn't bother too debind, shit scanner, etc.). I think I already posted some in this thread though.

Articalys

I can't wait until the new Sailor Moon anime starts airing and everyone starts comparing it to all the other magical girl shows that were inspired by the original Sailor Moon anime.

cajunator

Banned
World Conquest Zvezda Plot Episode 1-3

Giant fist loli and her insane friends attempt to conquer the world? Along with worthless MC?

Why not, this seems like a fun show. The anti-smoker episode was particularly great.

Yeah its quite fun. Sleepy Kate is up there with the cutest things in existence.

Goro Miyazaki directing a 3D CG TV anime animated by Polygon Pictures, with Ghibli supporting production, based on a fantasy novel by the author of the Pippi Longstocking series.

Everything about this sounds so weird.

http://www9.nhk.or.jp/anime/ronja/
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-to-direct-ronia-the-robber-daughter-tv-anime

I honestly have no idea what to make of this. Was Up On Poppy Hill a substantial improvement over Tales Of Earth zzzzzzzz? I just cant decide.

Yea, note to the peanut gallery, I have only seen the first two episodes Nanoha so I can only review based on that judgement. If it subverts things later, so be it, but the first two episodes were tropey as fuck and it is impossible to that without the Madoka filter.

Nanoha is slow to start. Watching A's will give you a better idea right away.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think distilling Madoka down to "it was dark and subversive, but so were a lot of other shows" massively oversimplifies why it was so successful at engaging so many people.
Unfortunately, that's all they talk about.

To be clear, I enjoyed Madoka a great deal, but I saw many people declare it "revolutionary" when that's just not the case at all. I'm also making a finer point than you're describing there, but much of it rests on the details of a story many people aren't familiar with and I'd rather not waste my time shouting into spoiler tags.

Quasar

Im not sure why. My guess it dragged on too long with repetitive karuta tournaments. But I still love it to death. The music is certainly part of it.

I had no real idea there was much if any hate. It seemed just ignored aside from those of us who love it.

jman2050

Unfortunately, that's all they talk about.

To be clear, I enjoyed Madoka a great deal, but I saw many people declare it "revolutionary" when that's just not the case at all. On the other hand, I didn't care for Nanoha that much.

Fair enough, I'll concede the point. Just pointing out that not being completely original isn't really a point against it, although it seems like that wasn't your implication in the first place.

I do love the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth over the whole "Deconstruction" deal though, that still hasn't gotten old three years later.

Acosta

Yamato 12

I don't what is more perfect of this pic, dat ass or the face of Kodai.

lRqjbS6.jpg
In a more serious note, loving this, sadly I won't be able to complete it before the AOTY voting, but I think I will vote it anyway.

Not that my noob opinion is worth much but it makes me happy to participate. It will be quite standard votes for what I have seen, I just have to decide the order.

cnet128

Banned
Golden Time 16

Oh yes yes yes that confrontation was amazing. So full of all the emotions. Banri and Kouko really are the best couple in anime history.

I was initially very unimpressed by the dad thanks to the massive slap - nothing deserves that - but it's impressive that he nonetheless managed to overturn that awful first impression and win me over by the end of the episode. What a classy guy XD

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fair enough, I'll concede the point. Just pointing out that not being completely original isn't really a point against it, although it seems like that wasn't your implication in the first place.

I do love the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth over the whole "Deconstruction" deal though, that still hasn't gotten old three years later.
Some people got upset over the use of the word, I'm upset that it betrays a lack of understanding of the subject matter. People assume certain things for magical girl shows to which Madoka is responding to, and in a rather dismissive fashion.

CorvoSol

Don't worry, you are not alone. Hyouka is a total borefest.

92NajaI.jpg

Bwahaha, that's how I feel about her so far.

Admire that Japanese bravery.

What I've seen so far:

1)All encounters with wild animals enter this weird, monochromatic nightmare mode. Like not just the Rhino or the Gator, but the frickin' cranes.

2)When they say that Africa is full of black people they mean it in the most literal way possible. Mormon friendly drinking game for Kenya: every time I see a nonracist caricature of a black person, I'll take a shot.

3)Inexplicable giant frog.

I have to agree here on those first episodes. they were brutal aside from the Sekitani Jun story and Hyouka origins.

Exactly. Chitanda is mega moe. They even made a scene trying to kill me, which Brandy posted.

People wont really bend on this one Corvy. You wont be able to convince and you shouldnt really try. Hyouka does have some merits. Its not stupidly written though what is there is just not engaging, and Chitanda is super cute most of the time. My problem with the show it was pretentious without being entertaining. It should have pulled something crazy somewhere to keep peoples attentions more but instead it dug itself a hole with way too many episodes of utterly insipid "mysteries" instead of like the movie arc where things got a lsight bit involving. Then the festival arc came around and its like a whole different show. I would recommend continuing from there see if you still hate it.

Like I said, I'll check it out till this festival arc and see how I feel from there.

Its possible. Second half is dramatically better. Plus Chitanda in a yukata or whatever you call them. And Misaki goddess.

I honestly don't really find any of the girls in the show attractive. Because, as I said earlier, if there is one thing about Hyouka I will say I actually do hate, it is the character designs. Absolutely abhor them.

You called Mayaka a bitch and now we are in full agreement lol. Just cant stand her for some reason. The only thing she does slightly cute is a cosplay later but she even manages to ruin that.

I have a hard time seeing a means of describing Mayaka that cannot be summed up as "bitch." It's like everyone at the table has 1 character trait and Mayaka's is "to be as bitchy about everything as possible."

Aku no Hana 01

I apologize for ever saying that any part of Hyouka was ever boring, because only now do I understand what boredom is.

Dropped.

I actually felt that way after the first episode and I think, the 8th, but the rest of the show I found infinitely more entertaining than any part of Hyouka thus far.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
What I've seen so far:

1)All encounters with wild animals enter this weird, monochromatic nightmare mode. Like not just the Rhino or the Gator, but the frickin' cranes.

2)When they say that Africa is full of black people they mean it in the most literal way possible. Mormon friendly drinking game for Kenya: every time I see a nonracist caricature of a black person, I'll take a shot.

3)Inexplicable giant frog.
Three words:

Deeper, go deeper. :D

jman2050

Some people got upset over the use of the word, I'm upset that it betrays a lack of understanding of the subject matter. People assume certain things for magical girl shows to which Madoka is responding to, and in a rather dismissive fashion.

So it's a deconstruction of what people think magical girl shows are!

Har Har

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Chuu2Koi2-04:

Why can't I hold all these hnnnnngs?!

Cute and totally predictable but I liked it so much I don't care. Great execution can make even the most predictable plots enjoyable to watch.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Episode 3:

Fucking hell I think this series just stretched the credibility of the proceedings beyond reason.
NOBODY noticed the giant plant that appears to have done significant amounts of property damage to the entire city????
I get what the episode is trying to accomplish
in that this is all about Nanoha making a mistake and dealing with the consequences. of that mistake
Still, i hate it when emotional resonance comes at the cost of willing suspension of disbelief.
Also, dear god but this series is blowing through its mcguffins in a hurry.
All and all, this was as impressive as a lesser monster of the week episode from Sailor Moon.

NeonZ

Nanoha only really gets entertaining after it stops attempting to be a magical girl show and basically becomes a battle shounen with magical girls.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Nanoha only really gets entertaining after it stops attempting to be a magical girl show and basically becomes a battle shounen with magical girls.
Yeah, to be fair, I do get a kick out of characters firing blasts at each other, and Nanoha has that.

More waifus dropped by drop. If anything is too lewd, just lemme know, or if you want me to stop posting the crap. Here's Sekai Seifuku and Chu2koi out of the new batch

Keep up with the pictures. much appreciated

----------------
Engaged to the unidentified.- 04
This episode was so much gif worthy
First the drama is gone , as expected they actually toned it down enough to still have bits of comedy .
Next week we're back on full comedy.
Second , the characters are awesome as expected.The episode had a display of reaction moments quite impressive.
And then the plot tickens , they aren't even trying to hide "that" familly secret but i must say that the forshadowing is pretty much well done.
1391095353746.gif

1391095547643.gif

So much internal conflict here in this scene , magnificent !

Overall , this was a good episode and a great show overall ..too much things to comment on actually , but most would be spoilers.

Quasar

Kannagi - it was kind of alright I guess. Or at least it didn't drive me away. I at least liked the idea of dealing with a deity losing their power/memories due to not being worshipped, etc. Would have liked some more answers though...like what is up with Shino. And would have liked the show to have done something with Zange's host.

Jarmel

Banned
Chuu22- 4
Holy shit. Best episode in the entire franchise. Animation was so good, comedy was really on point, and god damn at that climax.

Dekomori confirmed as the best character in the series. She did it with a smile on her face. Just damn.

:basedDekomori

CorvoSol

Samurai Flamenco 6

Mari is a sociopath and Gotoh is an idiot for not realizing how obvious this trap was. No wonder his "girlfriend" in "Canada" never ever spends time with him.

Look I have a girlfriend! *proceeds to not show a picture*

Nagi no Asukara (Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea) Episode 17

I wonder if its daring enough to have something bad have happened to Shishishio as wel as
keep manaka dead

At least for what is animated, I hope it really goes a Miuna Hikari, Kaname Sayu route.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Episode 3:

Fucking hell I think this series just stretched the credibility of the proceedings beyond reason.
NOBODY noticed the giant plant that appears to have done significant amounts of property damage to the entire city????
I get what the episode is trying to accomplish
in that this is all about Nanoha making a mistake and dealing with the consequences. of that mistake
Still, i hate it when emotional resonance comes at the cost of willing suspension of disbelief.
Also, dear god but this series is blowing through its mcguffins in a hurry.
All and all, this was as impressive as a lesser monster of the week episode from Sailor Moon.

Are you me? These first impressions are sounding a lot like mine.

There's a Christmas Tree of Might joke in this episode somewhere...

Pretty much this. That's one of the reasons why I liked Nanoha. Things go all out pretty quickly after Fate shows up.

cajunator

Banned
I have seen more than Madoka Magica in terms of magical girl series and yes hardly the first one to have dark elements, but certainly the title that is quickly becoming the Evangellion of said genre. Anyway, if you need another comparison the show more directly is reminding me of Mai-Otome at this stage.

How does Mai Otome compare to My Hime? Enjoyed that one a lot. It was definitely quite dark but somehow Madoka went even darker on a thematic level. My hime up till the end was pretty increasingly bleak.

I think distilling Madoka down to "it was dark and subversive, but so were a lot of other shows" massively oversimplifies why it was so successful at engaging so many people.

You're pretty much on point regarding Nanoha though. Still like it though. Although I guess you could argue the "disregard for human relationships" thing kind of plays into the whole shipping contingent more than anything else.

Madoka is hardly the first mahou shoujo to explore darkness. Sailor Moon at times was EXTREMELY dark. Im not sure what about Madoka made it such a massive hit actually.

Dresden

Eh. At least KLK's isn't painfully obvious. Attack on Titan elevated avoiding animating to a religion.

KLK intentionally avoids doing so - they knew their budget and this is what we get (and why I don't really mind it, in the end). Titan's production was just rushed and a total clusterfuck.

cnet128

Banned
Nagi no Asukara (Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea) Episode 17

At least for what is animated, I hope it really goes a Miuna Hikari, Kaname Sayu route.

DTL, when you're not busy pairing men with other men, you may have good taste in pairings.

The only real question when it comes to the best pairings in this show is whether Manaka or Chisaki should get Tsumugu. Logic would dictate Manaka, since she's best girl material and deserves to get the guy she likes, whilst Chisaki is worst girl and thus the most appropriate to be left all alone. However, Chisaki and Tsumugu do seem to have more chemistry lately than Manaka and Tsumugu ever had, plus that pairing would help keep Kaname away from worst girl so that the important pairings can happen.

Love polygons, how do they work?

cajunator

Banned
Nanoha I can't really judge in the overall sense yet so I can't agree or disagree with any statements of that measure at this juncture.

You really need to see more Nanoha as you havent really seen the show at strength.

Tutu>Madoka

Hmm. Possibly.

I can't wait until the new Sailor Moon anime starts airing and everyone starts comparing it to all the other magical girl shows that were inspired by the original Sailor Moon anime.

This is pretty inevitable. People only know what theyre used to. To them Sailor Moon is the new thing.

Magical warfare - 04
A magical school and no protection for entry or escape ?
I guess you could argue that everyone know how dangerous the place is , but still.

Still it must be the first time i've seen a childhood friend get friendzonned at this rate. heck at least she got decent protection and healing for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom