• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
How does Mai Otome compare to My Hime? Enjoyed that one a lot. It was definitely quite dark but somehow Madoka went even darker on a thematic level. My hime up till the end was pretty increasingly bleak.

Madoka is hardly the first mahou shoujo to explore darkness. Sailor Moon at times was EXTREMELY dark. Im not sure what about Madoka made it such a massive hit actually.

Makdoa is more then just dark, when I call it the Evangelion of the magical girl genre this is because like Eva Madoka is not just interested in going grim dark it is interested in skewering the very foundational tropes of the genre and it its wake has started to remake the genre in its image. Not as profoundly as Eva thus far, but something like Day Break Illusion would not exist without Madoka.

Let me see, on the one hand, I do recommend that anybody wishing to watch Otome needs to watch Hime first to really enjoy this series as the mythology gags and references are numerous. Anyway, Otome is a thousand times better then Hime due to some factors I can't really talk about at this stage.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
anime face of the week
bJt0MZ5.jpg

Dammit why am I so tempted to buy this even though I couldn't care less about KanColle?

The kancolle effect .

Watch out it's strong , very strong ..
people don't believe me when i tell them about the kancolle effect , but most people don't realise about it untill it's too late.

jman2050

Let me see, on the one hand, I do recommend that anybody wishing to watch Otome needs to watch Hime first to really enjoy this series as the mythology gags and references are numerous. Anyway, Otome is a thousand times better then Hime due to some factors I can't really talk about at this stage.

What the shit is this?

See this is what happens when
:sdburton
goes too far.

anime face of the week

You Sloth, Me Chunk

cnet128

Banned
Magical warfare - 04
Still it must be the first time i've seen a childhood friend get friendzonned at this rate. heck at least she got decent protection and healing for now.

Oh yeah, that reminds me of something I forgot to comment on in this episode. It takes some serious tsundere skills to pull "I'm not using healing magic on you for your sake, I just felt like practising! [baka]" with a straight face. I was impressed by that one.

Hmmm, maybe I should start shipping worst girl x Mui.

Pupa 4

Guys, this might just be me.

But the lady in black who happens to know everything and is in charge of that totally not evil building/lab, might not be a good person.

Oh yeah, that reminds me of something I forgot to comment on in this episode. It takes some serious tsundere skills to pull "I'm not using healing magic on you for your sake, I just felt like practising! [baka]" with a straight face. I was impressed by that one.

Hmmm, maybe I should start shipping worst girl x Mui.

But she wasn't really lying , sure she was worried about her ( a little ) but everyone knows that the true reason why she went so far in the warzone is the MC

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How Golden Time just resolved that cliffhanger was, on the one hand, so banal but also so absurd. It's just the constant tone shifts that really don't help, from the Ghost Banri bullshit in the last episode, to the melodramatic
daddy slap
in this episode, to the
bonding infodump
at the end of the episode.

Take away one of those elements, and I think the episode would have worked fine in context - but to go for absurd melodrama to Japanese melodrama to angsty melodrama was just a bit too much to ask of me.

--

Also, I suppose Chuu2 people will be happy that this week's episode was a DekoMoriSummer episode. That really seems to be the best way to break up the, at this point, boring Utah/Rikka stuff.

sonicmj1

Unfortunately, that's all they talk about.

To be clear, I enjoyed Madoka a great deal, but I saw many people declare it "revolutionary" when that's just not the case at all. I'm also making a finer point than you're describing there, but much of it rests on the details of a story many people aren't familiar with and I'd rather not waste my time shouting into spoiler tags.

I know all but nothing about the mahou shoujo genre as a whole, but now I'm wondering why its perceived as being so revolutionary in spite of the existence of other shows. My talking-out-my-ass theory would be that while it might not be the first show of its kind to take magical girl tropes and throw them in a dark and pessimistic way, it might be the first to do that while squarely targeting otaku over the female audience the genre was originally created for. And it also happens to be pretty great independent of anything else.

There could be more to it than that, or less. I'd be interested to hear a more informed perspective than mine. I know I've seen it argued that Eva's neurotic takedown of the early-teen mecha protagonist was itself retreading old ground.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
What the shit is this?

See this is what happens when
:sdburton
goes too far.

Right, because My Hime was lacking in that content.
For god sakes Shizuru Fujino alone debunks that argument

No, this is more the fact that Otome didn't shit the bed in its second half.

jman2050

How Golden Time just resolved that cliffhanger was, on the one hand, so banal but also so absurd. It's just the constant tone shifts that really don't help, from the Ghost Banri bullshit in the last episode, to the melodramatic
daddy slap
in this episode, to the
bonding infodump

Take away one of those elements, and I think the episode would have worked fine in context - but to go for absurd melodrama to Japanese melodrama to angsty melodrama was just a bit too much to ask of me.

Hmm, absurd would probably be the last word I'd use to describe this week's Golden Time. Hell it's downright grounded from my point of view.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Unfortunately, that's all they talk about.

To be clear, I enjoyed Madoka a great deal, but I saw many people declare it "revolutionary" when that's just not the case at all. I'm also making a finer point than you're describing there, but much of it rests on the details of a story many people aren't familiar with and I'd rather not waste my time shouting into spoiler tags.

So, I guess I should ask - have any other Magical Girl shows pulled a "The Shield" with its opening episodes? Because that's what makes it noteworthy to me. Way more than any ambiguous "dark" take on the magical girl genre.

That and the fact that the entire series runs up against the idea of the main character turning into a magical girl, which is almost antithetical to the magical girl genre where everyone - even reluctantly - accepts their power and their place in the universe.

Hmm, absurd would probably be the last word I'd use to describe this week's Golden Time. Hell it's downright grounded from my point of view.
In a vacuum, sure. But you can't ignore GHOST BANRI TRYING TO KILL THEM AND THEN REGRETTING IT AND CAUSING BANRI'S FOOT TO MOVE AT THE LAST MOMENT as something that's remotely grounded.

If that cliffhanger last week didn't happen and it was just a normal "she fell asleep and they miraculously survived", then it'd be fine. Jdrama-fine, but still fine.

cnet128

Banned
But she wasn't really lying , sure she was worried about her ( a little ) but everyone knows that the true reason why she went so far in the warzone is the MC

It doesn't even matter if she was lying or not, the mere existence of that line is a tsundere miracle. (Though regardless of why she was there in the first place, I'm pretty sure she was healing Mui out of a desire to save her, not out of some sudden academic urge =p)

...Oh, and to follow up on my worstgirl x Mui comment, the most amazing picture just came into my head of a scene where worstgirl uses her bio-magic to turn loli and Mui is unable to resist the cuteness and starts swooning over her. This has to happen now because I say so. A scene like that would singlehandedly justify this entire show's existence.

jman2050

In a vacuum, sure. But you can't ignore GHOST BANRI TRYING TO KILL THEM AND THEN REGRETTING IT AND CAUSING BANRI'S FOOT TO MOVE AT THE LAST MOMENT as something that's remotely grounded.

No, but then I wasn't really thinking about it as this episode aired, especially seeing as that technically happened last week!

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not done watching Golden Time 16 but how can someone say this is grounded when the dad slaps her so hard she went flying? No words, only slaps. All that played along with some sad music and her crying on the ground.

This is melodramatic as fuck.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not done watching Golden Time 16 but how can someone say this is grounded when the dad slaps her so hard she went flying? No words, only slaps. All that played along with some sad music and her crying on the ground.

This is melodramatic as fuck.
I'm sad to say that it's considered normal for Japanese melodrama. I will say it's almost like theater, inasmuch as emotions heightened for effect. Whereas for us, emotions are heightened mostly as either true camp (ie, amateurs who don't know better) or parody.

DTL, when you're not busy pairing men with other men, you may have good taste in pairings.

The only real question when it comes to the best pairings in this show is whether Manaka or Chisaki should get Tsumugu. Logic would dictate Manaka, since she's best girl material and deserves to get the guy she likes, whilst Chisaki is worst girl and thus the most appropriate to be left all alone. However, Chisaki and Tsumugu do seem to have more chemistry lately than Manaka and Tsumugu ever had, plus that pairing would help keep Kaname away from worst girl so that the important pairings can happen.

Love polygons, how do they work?

The pairings are like this. This is the best solution.

Hikari x Miuna
Kaname x Sayu
Tsumugu x Chiisaki
Manaka = Dead. Given to the God.

Dresden

daddy slap
in this episode, to the
bonding infodump

If that cliffhanger last week didn't happen and it was just a normal "she fell asleep and they miraculously survived", then it'd be fine. Jdrama-fine, but still fine.

This all sounds pretty amazing but I know that it's more amusing to read about it than to actually watch it happen.

It doesn't even matter if she was lying or not, the mere existence of that line is a tsundere miracle. (Though regardless of why she was there in the first place, I'm pretty sure she was healing Mui out of a desire to save her, not out of some sudden academic urge =p)

...Oh, and to follow up on my worstgirl x Mui comment, the most amazing picture just came into my head of a scene where worstgirl uses her bio-magic to turn loli and Mui is unable to resist the cuteness and starts swooning over her. This has to happen now because I say so. A scene like that would singlehandedly justify this entire show's existence.
I'll agree on the fact that her transformation power is , right now , under used ( very much under used )
Until the author find something worthwhile to use this power on , She doesn't really exist.

Right, because My Hime was lacking in that content.
For god sakes Shizuru Fujino alone debunks that argument

No, this is more the fact that Otome didn't shit the bed in its second half.

Actually both show went on the nonsense route on their last arc.

cnet128

Banned
The pairings are like this. This is the best solution.

Hikari x Manaka
Kaname x Sayu
Tsumugu x Chiisaki
Manaka = Dead. Given to the God.

I think you may have mistyped Miuna as Manaka in the first line there. (No, really.)

But yeah, I think this may actually be the best solution, much as it pains me to admit it. Manaka was too perfect to live T_T

Midonin

Lemon Angel Project 07-08

URt3VDol.jpg

Episode 7 was consistent in tone, but episode 8 started off goofy and took a turn for the serious in short time, and all with my favorite Erica too. The subtitle quality is also starting to fluctuate a bit in parts. Discovering that
Yui disposed of the first Lemon Angel herself when she found out she was being exploited
is something I'm okay with as a backstory, but her method of death - hit by that same truck that's in every anime really got to the point quickly. How Miru realized that Ann = Tomo was nicely done, not through any melodramatic reveal, but through her simply recognizing it in Tomo's singing. She may not voice act really well, but Tomo can at least sing okay.

Miru's starting to endear herself to me a little more. She's still incredibly taciturn, but her cute side is coming out. That's more like the Kadowaki roles I know. Probably the goofiest scene in the whole show happened during episode 8. Just before the skeevy paparazzo revealed what he'd caught to the girls, they tried to scare away their trainer with this.

W1GyDlcl.jpg

The tone of episode 8 swung about pretty wildly, but I'm looking forward to Erica's flashback story in the next one. If it can deliver something relatively subtle but heartwarming like episode 6, I think I'll be good. I continue to like Saya, even if her hotheadedness seems to be as much of a roadblock to the team's success as a motivating factor.

Narag

How did the whole Yamato thing snowball into something so big here, anyway?

Firehawk yells at cloud while airing => Show concluded => people waiting it for to finish watched it and posted detailed impressions => this attracted more viewers curious as to what the hubbub was about => no one wants shingeki to win aoty

Branduil

A combination of long-term hype, the fact that it was finally fully released and subtitled, and the pervasive AnimeGAF desire for a show they could unify in support of to make sure that Attack on Titan doesn't win the AOTY vote.

Nagi no Asukara 17
So now Miuna can join Hikari in the sea. yay less barriers to their relationship. Now we need Kanami to give up on Chisaki for the Sayu x Kaname route can get closer to beginning

Quasar

DTL, when you're not busy pairing men with other men, you may have good taste in pairings.

The only real question when it comes to the best pairings in this show is whether Manaka or Chisaki should get Tsumugu. Logic would dictate Manaka, since she's best girl material and deserves to get the guy she likes, whilst Chisaki is worst girl and thus the most appropriate to be left all alone. However, Chisaki and Tsumugu do seem to have more chemistry lately than Manaka and Tsumugu ever had, plus that pairing would help keep Kaname away from worst girl so that the important pairings can happen.

Love polygons, how do they work?

Have to say I'm on the Chisaki/Tsumugu train. In part because they have matured together (and lived together as I guess family for 5 years) and seem to have decent chemistry. I kind of think the age gap with a returned Manaka would get in the way anyway. The other couplings I don't really care much about.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'll agree on the fact that her transformation power is , right now , under used ( very much under used )
Until the author find something worthwhile to use this power on , She doesn't really exist.

Actually both show went on the nonsense route on their last arc.

Agreed in part but Hime still contains one of the worst endings I have ever seen to a series.

jman2050

I'm sad to say that it's considered normal for Japanese melodrama. I will say it's almost like theater, inasmuch as emotions heightened for effect. Whereas for us, emotions are heightened mostly as either true camp (ie, amateurs who don't know better) or parody.

I guess I tend to prefer the theater approach as opposed to anything else then...

I think you may have mistyped Miuna as Manaka in the first line there. (No, really.)

But yeah, I think this may actually be the best solution, much as it pains me to admit it. Manaka was too perfect to live T_T

Yeah. Whoops. Since this show is from the writer of AnoHana, I don't expect Manaka to come back. Or if she does, it's not permanent.

Just putting it out there that Firehawk and I are the only not-bad people for a while since nobody else put the Sae and Hiro graduation special on their list.

(I haven't voted yet but it's going to get done).

jman2050

Agreed in part but Hime still contains one of the worst endings I have ever seen to a series.

While that is completely true and disputed by precisely no one that still doesn't prevent Hime from running circles around Otome.

Otome was still pretty entertaining in its trainwreckyness though. It was like Code Geass before Code Geass.

EDIT - Double negatives how do they work?

Samurai Flamenco Episode 15

Kind of want Masayoshi's jacket, hadnt realized like the collar becomes the hood and sorts, kind of stylish.

The music for first half to conclude it all was excellent and then the one song in the warehouse scene reminded me of retro heroes shows, want that song now.

The roundup and such was so odd but a nice development to tackle the idea of the state turning against the heroes. I hope manager is still on his side and thankfully they have Goto on his side immediately, if they can meet up again, curry time too

It's actually very good.
Praise well deserved.

----------
Golden time - 16
The room scene was REAL TALK™

I was like , wow when banri started to lecture koko , and then i realised that all sentence were 200% hypocrisy ... And then
koko called him out on how hypocrite he was
and i was 500% satisfied.
The rest of the sequences were just icing on the cake ... with this , ghost banri would be a thing of the past and the anime would be almost perfect.

Special mention to this :
And that was the best way to say "man the fuck up"

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
While that is completely true and disputed by precisely no one that still doesn't prevent Hime from not running circles around Otome.

Otome was still pretty entertaining in its trainwreckyness though. It was like Code Geass before Code Geass.

No, I will never agree or concede to that, Mai Otome is the superior show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom