• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

How did the whole Yamato 2199 thing snowball into something so big here, anyway?

Jexhius impression posts with images -> duckroll post with tons of beautiful backgrounds -> critical mass of positive impressions causing more people to pick it up creating more positive impressions.

A picture is really worth a thousand words when it comes to getting people to pick up new anime.

-----------------------------

In the confusion of Corvo's turmoil about being bored by Hyouka (I'm sorry he's not picking up on Hotaro's development, which is about to get a lot more explicit and interesting), I thought cajun would be more interested in pointing out that episode 9 is the first appearance of Misaki Sawakiguchi.

There's no denying that the school festival is the best arc of the show, and it has worthwhile development for every member of the club, but there's already a lot more in motion than it would appear just from looking at the 'plot' of what has happened so far.

Agreed in part but Hime still contains one of the worst endings I have ever seen to a series.
i actually agree tha the HIme sudden ending twist was nonsense.

I have lost a hour of text in the AOTY post, I want to hang myself...
Pullizzer award or nothing .

Just remember: any ballot with no Flowers of Evil, GBF, From the New World, Yamato, or Love Lab are going to be glared at.
I just couldn't flower of evil.
I felt so disturbed by the first episode that i couldn't even enforce my 3 ep rule.

123t9jo2.gif

Senyu 2

OK, that got me good.

Girl being the demon lord was obvious the moment she appeared in the ending.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Just remember: any ballot with no Flowers of Evil, GBF, From the New World, Yamato, or Love Lab are going to be glared at.
I already voted for From the New World last year, and it doesn't have enough votes across the community to bother putting it up again.

sonicmj1

I already voted for From the New World last year, and it doesn't have enough votes across the community to bother putting it up again.

I don't think that's true. It seems poised to place higher this year than it did last year, by my estimation.

Articalys

Hmm, I wouldn't have thought the regular majority of the thread was that... well, "impressionable" has negative connotations, so maybe... keen on recommendations? Unless there really were a ton of people who were waiting for the show to be available in its complete form before even starting to watch it. Plus it seemed that scifi/space opera wasn't a genre that a majority of people here seemed to really get into. But I guess the praise from those who watched it was so overwhelmingly lavish that it broke over that too.

edit: by the way, just to head off any possible complaints, I have nothing against the show itself. I'm still debating it myself but space scifi really isn't usually my thing and I've got a ton of other stuff on my plate as is.

Branduil

Hmm, I wouldn't have thought the regular majority of the thread was that... well, "impressionable" has negative connotations, so maybe... keen on recommendations? Unless there really were a ton of people who were waiting for the show to be available in its complete form before even starting to watch it.

Peer pressure is a powerful thing.

Hmm, I wouldn't have thought the regular majority of the thread was that... well, "impressionable" has negative connotations, so maybe... keen on recommendations? Unless there really were a ton of people who were waiting for the show to be available in its complete form before even starting to watch it.
There was also a ton of people recently that just started Hunter x Hunter 2011, whether it was because of the news of it ending soon I couldn't tell you.

zeroshiki

Hmm, I wouldn't have thought the regular majority of the thread was that... well, "impressionable" has negative connotations, so maybe... keen on recommendations? Unless there really were a ton of people who were waiting for the show to be available in its complete form before even starting to watch it. Plus it seemed that scifi/space opera wasn't a genre that a majority of people here seemed to really get into. But I guess the praise from those who watched it was so overwhelmingly lavish that it broke over that too.

I think it has a lot to do with the subject matter as well. Sci-fi (especially space opera) appeals really well to nerds and the regulars in this thread are nothing if not nerds.

Quasar

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei 4 - It does seem like my feeling from a couple of episodes ago about Hakuya (and I guess his family) being wolf spirits or werewolves is coming true.

Articalys

I think it has a lot to do with the subject matter as well. Sci-fi (especially space opera) appeals really well to nerds and the regulars in this thread are nothing if not nerds.
Fair enough; it was just a supposition on my part and I've been really distant from the thread anyway so I probably shouldn't claim to be able to analyze the tastes of the most frequent posters.

Gazoinks

And that was the best way to say "man the fuck up"

I see Nana remains secret best girl. I would totally watch a show about the hijinks of all of the likable side characters in this show, and what they get up to while everyone is angsting.

Eh, I don't think it's that crazy. "Hey these people whose opinions I agree with really like this thing. Maybe I would like it?"

Bombless

It's actually very good.
Praise well deserved.

----------
Golden time - 16
The room scene was REAL TALK™

I was like , wow when banri started to lecture koko , and then i realised that all sentence were 200% hypocrisy ... And then
koko called him out on how hypocrite he was
and i was 500% satisfied.
The rest of the sequences were just icing on the cake ... with this , ghost banri would be a thing of the past and the anime would be almost perfect.

Special mention to this :

And that was the best way to say "man the fuck up"

Nana-sempai is best girl.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hime was a fun show that echoed Battle Royale except with mecha and lesbians. My Otome had an annoying lead and daddy-cest.

I never found Him as fun as Otome was in its first half. Arika I do have issues with and yea I was not cool with angle.
THANK GOD IT DIDN'T GO ANYWHERE!

I still liked Sergay more then Tate, who is one of my all time most hated anime characters of all time. Most of all I can't ignore how really sloppy Hime's writing got and I don't just mean the ending.

wonzo

Banned
Blue Exorcist Movie

blueexorcistmovie.jpg

I now see why this gets so much (well deserved) praise with all the insanely gorgeous backgrounds, fantastic layouts & animation, and a damn good story that's able to make this stand on its own without any prior knowledge of the series. My only real complaint is that I wasn't really feeling the ending all that much but everything else more than made up for it.

I still think Aura is a better movie overall but this is also well worth everyones time.

I'm waiting for the BD's for SSY but everything else is up there!

Oh, and how dare you forget about YAMA NO SUSUME???! tcht

cajunator

Banned
I had no real idea there was much if any hate. It seemed just ignored aside from those of us who love it.

its not really hated so much as some see it as repetitive and not exactly what they had expected.

Unfortunately, that's all they talk about.

To be clear, I enjoyed Madoka a great deal, but I saw many people declare it "revolutionary" when that's just not the case at all. I'm also making a finer point than you're describing there, but much of it rests on the details of a story many people aren't familiar with and I'd rather not waste my time shouting into spoiler tags.

Madoka merely popularized subject matter that other mahou shoujo had explored but to a much more niche audience.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Firehawk yells at cloud while airing => Show concluded => people waiting it for to finish watched it and posted detailed impressions => this attracted more viewers curious as to what the hubbub was about => no one wants shingeki to win aoty
To be fair, somehow I managed to convince DTL to watch the show the same time that I did. lol

I guess I tend to prefer the theater approach as opposed to anything else then...
An easy way to see the difference is to watch a Shakespeare production on stage and one on screen. The stage version also doesn't have the advantage of a foley operator adding in a giant slapping sound in post production, so if an actor gets slapped, they have to sell it like they were in the WWE. lol

Of course, seeing it outside of that context is just weird. As we see with
Koko flying in the air like a figure skater doing a triple sow cow

Just putting it out there that Firehawk and I are the only not-bad people for a while since nobody else put the Sae and Hiro graduation special on their list.

(I haven't voted yet but it's going to get done).
I think by the time I thought about the list, I stopped caring about where things would actually place since everything was already set in stone. Perhaps there's also recency bias, especially since the voting rules still make no sense (Madoka doesn't qualify even though people had the chance to watch it here in the format it was actually meant to be seen in? Of course, I'm just salty because I know Rebellion is going to be forgotten this year anyway).

Jexhius impression posts with images -> duckroll post with tons of beautiful backgrounds -> critical mass of positive impressions causing more people to pick it up creating more positive impressions.

A picture is really worth a thousand words when it comes to getting people to pick up new anime.
I still find it funny that I really don't care about what the show looks like. Well, particularly the backgrounds anyway, since the most interesting parts of the show are on the ship or against a star field.

Quasar

its not really hated so much as some see it as repetitive and not exactly what they had expected.

Well it is a sport anime. Even I a non sport anime watcher, knew enough about the structure to expect a fair amount of playing of the actual game. Personally I like the game playing part. Though there was one match in S2 that I felt went on a bit too long. And I do feel I don't get enough Arata or Shinobu on screen.

I voted for it last year and it charted. I'd rather see something else up there this year. Shows running into the Winter feel like a weird loophole in AOTY, especially last year because of how late the voting was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom