• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Nope. The first one lives in the shadow of her older sister and the other one may or may not end up dating her brother?

It is kinda weird we're not getting some classic shoujos. With the bishie sparkles and everything being some shade of yellow and gold.

The closest we've gotten to a nice classic shoujo in years is Inari KonKon so i hope you're watching it!

The thing that bugged me for a while that AnimeGaf might be inclined to be informed about.

Why is France out of all countries have such a large following of Japanese products like Manga,JPRGs,Anime and stuff?

I mean they're right next to England.

Because they loved Precure

cajunator

Banned
The thing that bugged me for a while that AnimeGaf might be inclined to be informed about.

Why is France out of all countries have such a large following of Japanese products like Manga,JPRGs,Anime and stuff?

Kinda wonder that too but they did invent the term anime.

As i said before , we the 80&90' french generation were brainwashed Non-stop on 6 different Tv channels with anime of all sorts ..

This generation grew - up , and we're all in our 30' still buying things and teaching "this stuff " to our children.

And no i'm not kidding .. Any long anime fan in france will know anout " club dorothée , les matins de saturnin , les minikums, C+ Cloe " and all those shows that just blasted anime often straight from japan every day of the week

My childhood and teenagehood was heavily anime exposed...
And i don't regret a thing.

Some series had a very huge impact ,goldorak for example, gundam Wing on the M6 channel, dragon ball on TF1 channel ...heck every wednesday morning , i had :
-dragon ball
-ranma 1/2
-city hunter
-sailor moon
-maison ikokku
-knight of the zodiac

And when this was done , 2 hours later , on another TV channel i had even more anime. for wednesday afternoon.

An entre generation of boys and girls that lived with this, anime every day of the week while they were growing up , it ended like that ... We love anime as a result.

I remember at some point when i has a teenager , another tv channel called "canal +" starting diffusing anime , we got on a row : evangelion, escaflowne , lain , cowboy beebop and that was their first year of service doing anime..i don't even have to add that this trend went on and on as it was sucessfull and other tv channels wanted thier part of the cake too ...so we got EVEN MORE ANIME.
At this point , only a select few anime werenot getting diffused in france... during that "golden age" , we got everything on TV , even "hokoto no ken" broadcasted at 10AM on the morning

Hourou Musuko 1 - 11

Show I missed from 2011. Deals with themes of gender identity from the perspective of a middle schooler yet to reach puberty. I always find this subject interesting in fiction (or otherwise I guess) and I found this to be a smart short tale with realistic, likable characters, great visuals and sound.

Worthy of your time I'd say.

This reminds me that I need to reattach Wandering Son. Definitely one of the best shows I've ever seen.

South/Central America, at least the 80's and 90's kids, grew up with DBZ, Saint Seiya, Ranma 1/2, Samurai X, Super Campeones! (soccer anime don't know english name) and other shows.

Nowadays the anime craze may have died down as I can't recall hearing of another anime that got dubbed. In fact when I showed my cousin Attack on Titan he was freaking the fuck out "holy shit anime looks this good now?" and all

Lol

not always cousin. Not always.

cajunator

Banned
As i said before , we the 80&90' french generation were brainwashed Non-stop on 6 different Tv channels with anime of all sorts ..

This generation grew - up , and we're all in our 30' still buying things and teaching "this stuff " to our children.

And no i'm not kidding .. Any long anime fan in france will know anout " club dorothée , les matins de saturnin , les minikums, C+ Cloe " and all those shows that just blasted anime often straight from japan every day of the week

My childhood and teenagehood was heavily anime exposed...
And i don't regret a thing.

Some series had a very huge impact ,goldorak for example, gundam Wing on the M6 channel, dragon ball on TF1 channel ...heck every wednesday morning , i had :
-dragon ball
-ranma 1/2
-city hunter
-sailor moon
-maison ikokku
-knight of the zodiac

And when this was done , 2 hours later , on another TV channel i had even more anime. for wednesday afternoon.

An entre generation of boys and girls that lived with this, anime every day of the week while they were growing up , it ended like that ... We love anime as a result.

I remember at some point when i has a teenager , another tv channel called "canal +" starting diffusing anime , we got on a row : evangelion, escaflowne , lain , cowboy beebop and that was their first year of service doing anime..i don't even have to add that this trend went on and on as it was sucessfull and other tv channels wanted thier part of the cake too ...so we got EVEN MORE ANIME.
At this point , only a select few anime werenot getting diffused in france... during that "golden age" , we got everything on TV , even "hokoto no ken" broadcasted at 10AM on the morning

France was lucky but channels like Nickelodeon aired plenty of early anime series dubbed by Saban in the US but it just didnt catch fire until later.

Gazoinks

Persona 4 TA 15

"Dude, you can't have all three at once!"

"I can, because I'M the King."

Holy crap, Narukami living a sexy sensei moment the entire night.

There's a reason "swag" is the first suggested result when you Google Yu Narukami.
tumblr_ly24uxnFXb1r4jpm5o1_500.gif

A Boy Named Charlie Brown

etiOTAt.jpg

But seriously, god damn. It's literally a movie about him being a miserable failure. Everyone pretty much gives him shit for being insecure, and a failure. To the point that they're not surprised he got spelling words that describe him perfectly (failure, insecure)

SECOND BEST IN THE COUNTRY!? NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Linus is like the nicest person to him, and he gives less shits about him than his blanket. And I think Charlie Brown knows it because of his trolling. L

I can't believe the way it ended. It's funny, but it's probably one of the most depressing things about it. And Linus called him miserable, on top of actually winning their first baseball game because Charlie Brown isn't here.

There's some... odd animations and whatnot, and I think the animators had fun in some segments. Mainly like... the Snoopy segments. Good movie, but damn

zeroshiki

It feels like Kimi ni Todoke did something, but that sort of fluttered out with all the shitty reverse harem adaptations we got last year.

The problem is that ALL shoujo do the knight in shining armor trope so KnT turning it on its head is one of the reasons for its popularity (good believable characters another one). I don't know if we will be able tear the fujoshi away from their tales of male friendship but having well written standard shoujo is probably a good first step they need to take.

Onee-chan ga Kita 6

The "hot guy" is an otaku and the sister's other friend was fairly adorable. Not adorable as the sister though in her clingly ways

REC 01-05

3cFbLMIl.jpg

Seraphis Cain has wanted me to watch this one, and since it's half-length, using it as a breather in my backlog was a good idea. This feels like a show from a different era. A Shaft series produced without Shinbo. I can see some of the animation style that defines them, but it's not nearly as pronounced. It also looks like Reiko Yoshida did the scripts, and I love her work.

The thing I notice the most about it is that, for all the series I've watched, this is one of those that feels more like a drama then what first comes to mind when I think of anime. That's not a bad thing, I'm liking the way it paces itself. There aren't very many anime about voice actors (and I'll watch the other two at some point), so seeing that explored is also pretty good. That the main characters had desperate sex in the first episode and spend the rest of the series dealing with the awkward effects of that is intriguing.

I am liking the Audrey Hepburn references. Anime that's cinematic in the sense of a film school class is fun - it's one of the reasons Sengoku Collection is one of my favorites - and it dawns on me how popular Roman Holiday is, since the aforementioned Collection and Strike Witches 2 also reffed it. Catree is cute, and I liked the moment when Aka had that little girl be a fan of her character.

Cute show.

Yeah I found it to be a pretty cute show too when I watched a couple months

Gazoinks

Bakemonogatari 4
fGsigSAl.jpg

They call Shaft the pinball master cause they got them tilts

So we learn a bit about Snail's situation.
Tryin' to visit her mom but can't cause snail curse. And her dad remarried at some point.

I feel sort of bad for Arararararagi. Almost everyone he meets is tsundere. The universe itself is tsundere for him. Not that he's entirely innocent.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Last good shoujo I watched.... shit. I mean I'm enjoying Golden Time sans ghostbusters, so I guess that's good enough. And no reverse harem.

Just the regular tropes of hyper drama and love triangles. The day anime gives me a sweet show about a couple in love going through realistic issues it's the day I turn into a pig and get into a plane.

Say I Love You was great. Well, it's the first new shoujo that I liked since Kimi ni Todoke anyway.

The problem is that ALL shoujo do the knight in shining armor trope so KnT turning it on its head is one of the reasons for its popularity (good believable characters another one). I don't know if we will be able tear the fujoshi away from their tales of male friendship but having well written standard shoujo is probably a good first step they need to take.
I guess the real problem is that if your shoujo manga is popular/good, it's just easier to make a jdrama because you'll probably make more money off it. Anime shoujo seems to be, at least in recent years, geared specifically for girl nerds.

Of course, unless you're lucky and you can double dip - Say I Love You getting a movie after the anime makes way too much sense. Same with Kimi ni Todoke, actually.

sonicmj1

Hourou Musuko 1 - 11

Show I missed from 2011. Deals with themes of gender identity from the perspective of a middle schooler yet to reach puberty. I always find this subject interesting in fiction (or otherwise I guess) and I found this to be a smart short tale with realistic, likable characters, great visuals and sound.

Worthy of your time I'd say.

It's a show I really enjoyed when I went back to it last year. Well worth anyone's time.

It's not just that its well-written, and its not just that it treats a delicate social issue with actual respect and candor (especially given how an increasing number of shows use the cute crossdresser as yet another event to enter in the Niche Anime Fetish Olympics), but Ei Aoki is also a really talented director. So many anime adaptations of manga or light novels seem to go on auto-pilot in allowing dialogue or thoughts to spell out how everyone feels, but in both Wandering Son and Fate/Zero, he's among the best at allowing the character's reactions, expressions, and framing to speak for themselves. It's such a relief to see a director understand that they're working in a visual storytelling medium.

Bon Voyage Charlie Brown! (And Don't Come Back)

*died at Charlie Brown failing with the bread*

For all the shit he got in the last movie, he finally got lucky despite not directly saving his pinpal from the death of fire. Linus got jack shit, but fuck him.

Peppermint Patty is a dumb. Then again, she is legit dumb.

Despite not being as "depressing" as A Boy Named Charlie Brown, I enjoyed the last movie a bit more.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's a show I really enjoyed when I went back to it last year. Well worth anyone's time.

It's not just that its well-written, and its not just that it treats a delicate social issue with actual respect and candor (especially given how an increasing number of shows use the cute crossdresser as yet another event to enter in the Niche Anime Fetish Olympics), but Ei Aoki is also a really talented director. So many anime adaptations of manga or light novels seem to go on auto-pilot in allowing dialogue or thoughts to spell out how everyone feels, but in both Wandering Son and Fate/Zero, he's among the best at allowing the character's reactions, expressions, and framing to speak for themselves. It's such a relief to see a director understand that they're working in a visual storytelling medium.
I don't know if the director or Okada is to "blame" for this, but I still don't understand the framing device set up used in the first few episodes of having what appeared to be testimonials to a camera, especially since it was completely dropped after those episodes and never really mentioned again.

It felt like something was being set up, inasmuch as perhaps the events are a retelling or some form of documentary, but it's never really brought up again.

fertygo

Talking about Wondering Sons ending, are you guys okay with the change that anime made for the ending?

In the anime, Shu smiling when he realize his voice started to got heavier.. indicating he making peace with his dilemma, its very different in the manga when he instantly got panic because of that and entering the new scale of his issue.

Considering transgender is rather sensitive in western country, how you guys feel with that ending?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Wasnt stuff like Maya the bee and Adventures of the little Koala actually anime?

I remember watching both of these as a toddler on Nick Jr.

Mitsubachi Maya no Bouken and Fushigi na Koala Blinky respectively in their native tongue. 70s anthro stuff for little kids only half-counts in my book, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Talking about Wondering Sons ending, are you guys okay with the change that anime made for the ending?

In the anime, Shu smiling when he realize his voice started to got heavier.. indicating he making peace with his dilemma, its very different in the manga when he instantly got panic because of that and entering the new scale of his issue.

Considering transgender is rather sensitive in western country, how you guys feel with that ending?
I actually don't remember that. Needless to say, in the manga (spoilers, etc)
Yoshino is the one who "grows out" of her desire to be a man

Maybe in my head, the anime had an open ending. I don't think I went back and watched 12 after tracking down 10 and 11 a couple of years ago.

cajunator

Banned
No idea what you mean

k2hH9jJ.gif

Rise is squee.
One of my friends looks exactly like her.

I remember watching both of these as a toddler on Nick Jr.

Mitsubachi Maya no Bouken and Fushigi na Koala Blinky respectively in their native tongue. 70s anthro stuff for little kids only half-counts in my book, though.

Grimms Fairy Tale Classics then? (The easiest way to make me cry with nostalgia is to post the opening)

sonicmj1

I don't remember that moment at all.

zeroshiki

Say I Love You was great. Well, it's the first new shoujo that I liked since Kimi ni Todoke anyway.

I guess the real problem is that if your shoujo manga is popular/good, it's just easier to make a jdrama because you'll probably make more money off it. Anime shoujo seems to be, at least in recent years, geared specifically for girl nerds.

Of course, unless you're lucky and you can double dip - Say I Love You getting a movie after the anime makes way too much sense. Same with Kimi ni Todoke, actually.

Its not like the publishers face a choice of making a drama OR an anime. Getting a drama or movie produced is very very hard as there are tons of variables and big money involved. Anime is trivial by comparison. Having an anime does not preclude a show from getting a movie or drama anyways (say, Bunny Drop).

For example, Bokura ga Ita got the anime waaaaay before the movie but Nodame Cantabile got the anime probably because the drama was so insanely popular.

Also, you're right. The lowest rated crappiest drama shown during midnight (say, Future Diary) will still have way more cred and make more money than the best produced anime generally.

Saki Episode of Side A 08

So basically an abridged training episode? Show some characters, hint at some special powers which I would really like to know and then skip over everything.

Let's even do not show any improvements to the main cast so they can show that later.

Link Man

Banned
Higurashi 12

Huh, they certainly know how to keep things interesting. I'm quite curious now as to what's really going on.

Poor Satoko, though. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Its not like the publishers face a choice of making a drama OR an anime. Getting a drama or movie produced is very very hard as there are tons of variables and big money involved. Anime is trivial by comparison. Having an anime does not preclude a show from getting a movie or drama anyways (say, Bunny Drop).

For example, Bokura ga Ita got the anime waaaaay before the movie but Nodame Cantabile got the anime probably because the drama was so insanely popular.

Also, you're right. The lowest rated crappiest drama shown during midnight (say, Future Diary) will still have way more cred and make more money than the best produced anime generally.

I feel like there's no reason to bother with an anime if your drama does well.

Hell, they're making a sequel to that Roman bath movie, but the anime is pretty much deader than dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom