• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

I feel like there's no reason to bother with an anime if your drama does well.

Hell, they're making a sequel to that Roman bath movie, but the anime is pretty much deader than dead.

Thermae Romae was one of the biggest movies of 2012. Of course they were gonna make a sequel :lol

You're right. Anime is peanuts compared to live action but it doesn't hurt if you can make a little more dough like in Nodame.

Rise is squee.
One of my friends looks exactly like her.

Grimms Fairy Tale Classics then? (The easiest way to make me cry with nostalgia is to post the opening)

Really now? If she is 18+ I would very much like to meet her....

Of course it's just to confirm if she looks like Rise. *cough cough* ;)

Race for Life, Charlie Brown

I think the movie predicted tumblr.

Also who designed the fucking course!? WHY was it unsupervised!? Bad kids trying to outright kill the others! FUCK! There was a waterfall in the course! Fucking really!?

The problem is that ALL shoujo do the knight in shining armor trope so KnT turning it on its head is one of the reasons for its popularity (good believable characters another one). I don't know if we will be able tear the fujoshi away from their tales of male friendship but having well written standard shoujo is probably a good first step they need to take.

How did KnT turn the trope on its head exactly? Is the main guy not the most popular, handsome and smartest guy in the universe?

Say I Love You was great. Well, it's the first new shoujo that I liked since Kimi ni Todoke anyway.

I tried to watch that. But something about the super hot popular dude coming for you because reasons and being head over heels for you didn't do it for me. It was too perfect. At least where I stopped.

Link Man

Banned
Higurashi 13

Okay, what the hell. That really did not satisfy me, and just seemed random. I only hope that the second half of the season is an improvement.

zeroshiki

How did KnT turn the trope on its head exactly? Is the main guy not the most popular, handsome and smartest guy in the universe?

I tried to watch that. But something about the super hot popular dude coming for you because reasons and being head over heels for you didn't do it for me. It was too perfect. At least where I stopped.

He is and they make you think he's gonna go down that tried and true path but they turn it around and show just how damaged he is and is far far away from the perfect shoujo hero.

He is and they make you think he's gonna go down that tried and true path but they turn it around and show just how damaged he is and is far far away from the perfect shoujo hero.

Is it similar to Kare Kano? I really liked that manga (anime didnt finish), and the main guy was damaged as shit. Also they dealt with actual issues instead of "the second I got a boyfriend all these guys want to bang me!"

Either ways I'm interested. Added to list.

cajunator

Banned
Is it similar to Kare Kano? I really liked that manga (anime didnt finish), and the main guy was damaged as shit. Also they dealt with actual issues instead of "the second I got a boyfriend all these guys want to bang me!"

Kare Kano was a really fun anime but it had some issues.

Quasar

He's in no way as fucked up as the guy from Kare Kano. Its more about couple issues, with added stuff of first relationships and shyness.

EDIT: I take that back. I confused Kare Kano with Koi Kaze.

Yeah. It is a bit like Kare Kano. Though its more straight forward in its animation approach.

zeroshiki

Kare Kano is the best 4 episode OVA ever.

Yeah, KnT is similar to KareKano in that sense but the main girl in KnT is super socially awkward and the story is as much about her getting out of her shell and interacting with people as it is about the relationship between the two leads.

Its a really great series and should be watched by everyone who is interested in romance anime.

sonicmj1

I can't post the anime screenshot now, but its certainly different approach than this.

He smiling after the stageplay and cue as the endcard, which the manga actually not showing that stageplay

I watched the scene again to see what you were saying, and I read it differently from you. It's less overt than the manga because ending a series that definitely won't continue on escalating drama is kinda poor form, but it's not that cut and dry.

The scene where they mention his voice changing is happening right before the culture festival play begins. He's the director, people are looking to him, and he's shouldering a lot of responsibility. I think his initial reaction is more revealing than the smile he ultimately settles on. He can't panic at that moment, because everyone needs him for the play to work. It wouldn't be the first time he's smiled at a bad situation.

I think he's still very worried about the future, which remains uncertain, but he also feels like he has friends he can count on, so it's not quite as scary.

Quasar

I'll add to the chorus of people saying that the first season of KnT is really good.

For some reason I only ever saw S2, which I really liked.

What a perfect way to describe it.

Dont know why..nothing has happened at that point. I rememer liking all of it for the most part. Probably the first shojou I'd reccomend, or maybe Nodame.

cajunator

Banned
MOTHER
OF
GOD
1jsmSg8.png

Dont know why..nothing has happened at that point. I rememer liking all of it for the most part. Probably the first shojou I'd reccomend, or maybe Nodame.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's the first four episodes, just that KareKano has several extremely good episodes, some mediocre ones, and then everything after episode 18 I like to pretend doesn't exist.

fertygo

I watched the scene again to see what you were saying, and I read it differently from you. It's less overt than the manga because ending a series that definitely won't continue on escalating drama is kinda poor form, but it's not that cut and dry.

The scene where they mention his voice changing is happening right before the culture festival play begins. He's the director, people are looking to him, and he's shouldering a lot of responsibility. I think his initial reaction is more revealing than the smile he ultimately settles on. He can't panic at that moment, because everyone needs him for the play to work. It wouldn't be the first time he's smiled at a bad situation.

I think he's still very worried about the future, which remains uncertain, but he also feels like he has friends he can count on, so it's not quite as scary.
Damn this gonna force me rewatch the episode and then the series isn't it? lol

Like I said the anime itself expanding the stageplay that the manga not shown.. the anime had that as closing scene, featuring some Shu's monologue IIRC and then Shu smiling which imply something else than he troubled with it. Of course like you said its better composition for the anime that most likely not continuing than the manga that ultimately playing that part as anti-climax. But the change ultimately make it two different implication which really interesting to me to how people seeing that.

Nodame Cantabile is definitely in the upper tier of shoujo. But the manga of Kare Kano is pretty decent, if not a bit outdated in looks. It was one of the very few manga I've seen where the leads start dating relatively early in the series and the rest of the show is them struggling with personal issues, deep psychological issues caused by the past, and friends with their problems. It has some tropes sure, but compared to others it's relatively fresh. Never saw the anime.

From what I remember reading the manga and anime split paths, but don't quote me on that. All I know is that the manga is much better regarded than the anime

cajunator

Banned
Nodame Cantabile is definitely in the upper tier of shoujo. But the manga of Kare Kano is pretty decent, if not a bit outdated in looks. It was one of the very few manga I've seen where the leads start dating relatively early in the series and the rest of the show is them struggling with personal issues, deep psychological issues caused by the past, and friends with their problems. It has some tropes sure, but compared to others it's relatively fresh. Never saw the anime.

The anime is really crazy and fun but its a total mess. It had multiple directors I think and the tone changes in the middle.

Thankfully I don't have to worry about Mikakunin anymore. But I forgot all the shows that I was watching for tomorrow (besides SamFlam and KLK)

Thoraxes

Thursday is my favorite because I don't have work that day!

Kill la Kill, Silver Spoon, Golden Time. And more I think.

I watch Mikakunin when I get home from work.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well an anime has a chance of looking decent.
Tell that to Angel Beats!

Thermae Romae was one of the biggest movies of 2012. Of course they were gonna make a sequel :lol

You're right. Anime is peanuts compared to live action but it doesn't hurt if you can make a little more dough like in Nodame.
I suppose the weird exceptions are something like Space Bros, which is probably perfect for both a big movie and a kid's anime.

But I think "normal" girls want 3d husbandos while nerd girls probably are more than happy to just yaoi it up.

Nope. That and the first season isn't even really about getting a guy.

Honestly, I preferred the stories involving the other girls. As I mentioned a while ago, it's the only shoujo anime that I've seen that actually addresses teenage sexuality and self-esteem issues related to body image.

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei Episode 6

I think I enjoy this show for completely different reasons than most here. The Hakuya one face reactions are amazing haha. When he stared at her and the flowers exploded everywhere on the screen I chuckled quite loudly. Also dat Nessie lovin'

I'm hoping that the scene on the roof with the millions of couples was a reference to the trope that the roof on the high school must be popular considering how it's always a spot in anime haha

Shergal

Heidi, Girl of the Alps 1
Hmm, yes, I like me some Takahata goodness. This being the second WMT show of his I watch, I couldn't avoid having Anne in my head as a reference point, and the first thing that stuck out was how visually striking this was. One could say it's just due to the HD, but it's more than that. There's the cinematic quality of the layouts, the careful lighting and detail-oriented art direction, and of course there's the setting itself. Anne's rural prairies were nice, especially when she started having flights of fancy, but they feel dry compared to the vast green plains on display here against the backdrop of the mountains.

Besides being a tight intro, I was surprised by how good this was as an episode. There's a wonderful job here of slowly building up the setting and linking it to Heidi's character, instantly establishing the Alps and the lifestyle therein as a core part of the show. Starting out with the quiet town on the morning where Heidi and Dete's travel to the mountains begins, then meticulously documenting every single location they pass through works out wonderfully. Takahata can add flourishes and flights of fancy along the path while maintaining a very restrained tone in accordance to the characters' feelings at the moment. It's complemented by the recurrent complaint Heidi has about her clothes. She feels a bit caged and asphyxiated in them, mirroring her anxiety at the situation of having to move from home (the third image above even helps reinforce this with another directorial touch, framing the characters very tightly on a narrow road in the bottom part of the screen). But as we continue following them, we see her acclimating to the place even before arriving, all the while the staging gets wider and the backdrops greener. This all climaxes in the scene where she has enough and takes out her clothes (there were like 5 sets, seriously? lol). I can't think of many animated shows where a simple shot of a character undressing feels so liberating, but thanks to the context created by the direction and the meticulous animation that doesn't miss a movement, they can make even this feel significant.

Yeah, I can already see this being just as good as Anne. And that's already around "best TV anime ever" grounds.

Quasar

Now I'm wanting a shojou short list to find things to watch. This is using a probably fucked up definition of shojou from MAL.

I have seen (and liked):

Sukitte Ii na yo
Kare Kano
Kimi ni Todoke
Lovely Complex
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
Ghost Hunt
Natsume Yuujinchou
Hotarubi no Mori e
Aishiteruze Baby

Gave up on / Didn't like:

Itazura na Kiss
Kamisama Hajimemashita
Maria-sama ga Miteru

Instro

Now I'm wanting a shojou short list to find things to watch. This is using a probably fucked up definition of shojou from MAL.

I have seen (and liked):

Sukitte Ii na yo
Kare Kano
Kimi ni Todoke
Lovely Complex
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
Ghost Hunt
Natsume Yuujinchou
Hotarubi no Mori e
Aishiteruze Baby

Gave up on / Didn't like:

Itazura na Kiss
Kamisama Hajimemashita
Maria-sama ga Miteru

Watch Oniisama E.

fertygo

D-Frag! - 05

This is very great, I laughed so many times at lunchtime and flashback segment.

I can't believe this show have Jouji Nakata voicing Sean Connery that working as japanese school teacher lol.

Broank

Shojou is one genre I avoided/haven't seen much of but the ones I have seen (Skip Beat, Kare Kano, Maid Sama) I actually really liked.

Quasar

kaichou wa maid-sama had an anime?

Yeah. I really liked it. Though given the manga just ended and this ended years ago it obviously didn't have any kind of end.

I see you haven't seen Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun yet. It's a good starter but unfortunately kind of just... ends.

Best char tho

Oh forgot about that. Was OK. I preferred the OVA over the series though.

Quasar

Watch Nodame pronto.

See I didn't list that because MAL claimed it was Josei. This whole classification thing confuses me. Yeah I know its purely marketing related (purely what magazine the manga appeared in) rather than some normal genre classification. Still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom