• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
1392936982573ncaun.jpg

Kill la Kill 19

Mako's mom x Sensei NTR doujins when?

Can't really blame her either.

Practically swooning myself after seeing him and a
NUDIST!
Gama together.

More shipping means less of a chance of me seeing solo Gama pictures when I visit Pixiv later.

Really wish Ryuko didn't appear.

Such a shitty protagonist ruining the mightiest five moment.

Gbraga

What's up with Mikakunin on Crunchyroll? I can watch everything else, but Mikakunin is a freeze fest :(

Fix this shit Santa Monica

CorvoSol

Aki is a cutie. I havent seen Robotics;Notes but Im confident that ill enjoy it.

Yeah. Its storming like crazy with tornado warnings and shit. A good night to just stay up watching anime.

THE TIME IS NOW, CAJUN. LET US BEGIN. THE LONG AWAITED MOMENT IS AT HAND.

Theonik

Kill La Kill 19
I agree with the other posters. Now, I actually LIKE ryuko but her appearance in this episode was a disgrace.
I hope they redeem this in the next episode.
Also Mankashoku's mom killed it this episode. And Gamagori was cute as was nonon.

Midonin

Soul Eater 49-End + Final Thoughts

I don't usually dabble in the genre commonly called "shounen", but that covers such a broad range and is also a demographic, it might be better to say "shounen action/battle manga". The long running times is the biggest factor. The only two I've really seen are Fairy Tail and Soul Eater, and knowing this had an end in sight made it easier to power through. The spin-off on the horizon also helped.

The reasons why I like Soul Eater are a few. The art style and story are unique, drawing a lot from Western influence as much as it does Japan, and I love that it has a female protagonist in Maka. It's also slightly naughty and has Excalibur, who is incredible in his legends.

I know it split pretty much exactly at the point where I started my power marathon, and what I saw held together pretty well. The characters' arcs at the time got some form of conclusion, the tone was consistent with what came beforehand, and the fights were beautiful. Now as for the controversial ending. I...
didn't mind it.

It was properly foreshadowed, with the postcard from Maka's mom showing up several episodes before it served as the key to resolving things. Asura getting downed by a simple punch in the face might seen anticlimactic, but at the same time, I can argue that it does feel properly climatic, in a death by a thousand cuts sort of way. It's tonally consistent with the series, where emotions were central to the plot, and being overwhelmed by them, manipulating them, and accepting them. From a narrative perspective it's fine, and while it's certainly a little cliche and a little sappy, neither of those are enough for me to declare it a total washout.

Even though the gap between me starting it and me completing it was way too long, for something that falls outside the shows I usually watch, I enjoyed it. As far as music goes, I like both openings equally, and it's a tie between the second and third ending for my favorite. All the duet/trio character songs are pretty good, too.

The next thing in my backlog isn't an anime, but I have plenty more things ready to watch once that's done.

All right, this is supposed to have a cult following around here, so I hope I enjoy this.

Bakemonogatari - 1

Tranlsated text. Translated text everywhere. I'm glad the top comment on the Crunchyroll page tells you that you don't need to worry about those.

Anyways our main character is a guy who's willing to help out with a girl's weightless problem after she
stapled him in the mouth.
I can't tell if this guy is crazy or just really forgiving. He's probably a bit of both.

JoeFu

Banned
All right, this is supposed to have a cult following around here, so I hope I enjoy this.

Bakemonogatari - 1

Tranlsated text. Translated text everywhere. I'm glad the top comment on the Crunchyroll page tells you that you don't need to worry about those.

Anyways our main character is a guy who's willing to help out with a girl's weightless problem after she
stapled him in the mouth.
I can't tell if this guy is crazy or just really forgiving. He's probably a bit of both.

yesssssss more people watching bakemonogatari is a good thing. You'll have to uh find the last 3 episodes as they aren't on CR, just giving you a heads up.

Link Man

Banned
Soul Eater 49-End + Final Thoughts

I don't usually dabble in the genre commonly called "shounen", but that covers such a broad range and is also a demographic, it might be better to say "shounen action/battle manga". The long running times is the biggest factor. The only two I've really seen are Fairy Tail and Soul Eater, and knowing this had an end in sight made it easier to power through. The spin-off on the horizon also helped.

The reasons why I like Soul Eater are a few. The art style and story are unique, drawing a lot from Western influence as much as it does Japan, and I love that it has a female protagonist in Maka. It's also slightly naughty and has Excalibur, who is incredible in his legends.

I know it split pretty much exactly at the point where I started my power marathon, and what I saw held together pretty well. The characters' arcs at the time got some form of conclusion, the tone was consistent with what came beforehand, and the fights were beautiful. Now as for the controversial ending. I...
didn't mind it.

It was properly foreshadowed, with the postcard from Maka's mom showing up several episodes before it served as the key to resolving things. Asura getting downed by a simple punch in the face might seen anticlimactic, but at the same time, I can argue that it does feel properly climatic, in a death by a thousand cuts sort of way. It's tonally consistent with the series, where emotions were central to the plot, and being overwhelmed by them, manipulating them, and accepting them. From a narrative perspective it's fine, and while it's certainly a little cliche and a little sappy, neither of those are enough for me to declare it a total washout.

Even though the gap between me starting it and me completing it was way too long, for something that falls outside the shows I usually watch, I enjoyed it. As far as music goes, I like both openings equally, and it's a tie between the second and third ending for my favorite. All the duet/trio character songs are pretty good, too.

The next thing in my backlog isn't an anime, but I have plenty more things ready to watch once that's done.
When looking at the anime ending, consider that
Asura's power is to create illusions in the minds of his enemies...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren Episode 7
Yuuta scoring major boyfriend points!
and that episode end...
She finally said it!

Tenumi

Banned
I'd like to note that I watched one episode of Attack on Titan. I declined continuing because... well, for lack of better phrasing, it pushed emotions that I did not want to be pushed anymore. Exactly why I can't watch shows like Clannad and Kanon anymore, despite how much I loved them.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'd like to note that I watched one episode of Attack on Titan. I declined continuing because... well, for lack of better phrasing, it pushed emotions that I did not want to be pushed anymore. Exactly why I can't watch shows like Clannad and Kanon anymore, despite how much I loved them.

which episode of AoT did you watch? Cause the first episode, nothing really happened, its the 2nd one that shit goes down.

Narag

Kill La Kill 19

Pros:
  • current setting
  • gamagoori x mako OTP
  • the concern I have for satsuki's well-being
  • new enemies
  • how quickly ragyo won me over as a villain
  • nonon with some actual lines

Cons:
  • Ryuko

which episode of AoT did you watch? Cause the first episode, nothing really happened, its the 2nd one that shit goes down.

I'm pretty sure
a giant zombie-like human biting a kid's mom in half RIGHT IN FRONT of the kid's eyes as he's begging it to stop while he's being carried away
counts as something.

CorvoSol

Kino's Journey 1

There is a certain kind of beauty in this episode that I hadn't expected from the first episode. When it all began I thought that perhaps Kino was crazy, since he was talking with his motorcycle. After the robots were introduced, this concern quickly passed and we moved on to something far deeper. Since I don't know much about this show, I had no real idea of what to expect, so you might imagine that all manner of possible explanations for where the residents of the city had gone ran through my head until we actually met one and the rest quickly fell in place.

On the one hand, you could say that The Land of Visible Pain is as scathing a criticism of the concept of New Types as possible, since being a New Type is all about magical knowledge of the emotions and thoughts of others. I don't really think that's the point, but it's certainly something I got out of that particular aspect of the plot.

On the other hand, the Land of Visible Pain is very clearly a deeper statement about human society, and how we might want to know the secrets of others, so that we could understand them, but how those secret emotions and thoughts are filtered by ourselves, and without those filters we can do just as much harm to one another as we do with them, if not, as was the case of the Land of Visible Pain. A secret I choose to reveal of my own volition and on my own terms can be cathartic, liberating, and up lifting. A secret taken from me without my permission will cause pain, even if that secret was of no true consequence.

One step beyond that, though, is that there is another, different, equal pain that comes from being so afraid of pain that we separate ourselves from others. The man Kino meets clearly hungers for human companionship, and above all else he (and we later learn his wife) desires to be with the one he loves. But the fear of that pain, the pain that only someone who loves you truly knows how to inflict, keeps them apart. The tradeoff is only of one kind of pain for another, and its nearly palpable by the time the episode ends. To live in fear of others, to be ruled by distrust, by secrets, and the fear of pain is not any better than the pain of others, the wild abandon of one's filters for "honesty" and for the misguided, forceful extraction of the truth from those who would give it willingly in time.

The people of the Land of Visible Pain had forfeited the power to lie for each others' sakes, and in so doing lost the hope of moving on. Even if "people can change" is a lie, it's a necessary lie we need if we're to be happy.

Even deeper than this, though, was that you could tell that these things applied directly to Kino without anyone saying so or showing you. Kino and his master clearly had some manner of falling out, and Kino is definitely now running in the other direction from his master. Possibly because, like the people of the Land of Visible Pain, Kino is too afraid of the pain that would come with further contact to risk the chance of reconciliation.

It's an interesting way to really begin a series, and I'm left wondering where we're going with this. Visually, the environments were a treat, and the designs of the numerous robots were a manner of whimsy that reminded me of Miyazaki movies.

Kino's Journey 1

YEESSSS. IT'S FINALLY HERE.

You my friend are in for a treat with this show. Also, Kino is a girl.

After War Gundam X - 1

So I heard the show's second OP while playing Super Robot Wars Z2, and I kind of liked the designs of the Gundams, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I kind of like how this is set AFTER a major war as opposed to during one. That's not usually the case when it comes to a Gundam show from what I've seen. Anyways, a hot-shot kid finds a Gundam while trying to rescue pretty girl. Pretty basic, but I'm interested in seeing where this will all go with this setting.

CorvoSol

YEESSSS. IT'S FINALLY HERE.

You my friend are in for a treat with this show. Also, Kino is a girl.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Frickin' Japanese androgynous characters! I wondered if that motorcycle was just being EXTREMELY progressive for a motorcycle or if I had missed something important along the way.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Witchcraft Works - 7

MC remains worthless, Kagari (and the 5 tower witches) remain awesome.

I'm still waiting for the actual big bad to show up and start causing trouble. I don't mind the silliness of the show as it is but it needs to move forward eventually

Kill la Kill 19

Soooooo..... Yeah........

This show is going places that I don't know I want it to go.

It's getting to the point where it's like one step away from becoming Hentai.

There wasn't even much action this week. It was just fan servicey.

Link Man

Banned
Usagi Drop 5

igXT4rcRE5W6r.jpg

Huh, they went out of their way to make Rin's mother as unlikeable as possible, ya know?

Other than that, this episode just hit me right in the feels.

Kill la Kill 19

Soooooo..... Yeah........

This show is going places that I don't know I want it to go.

It's getting to the point where it's like one step away from becoming Hentai.

There wasn't even much action this week. It was just fan servicey.

What, you're not into mother-daughter molestation?

Not the KLK hasn't always been pretty creepy.

Tenumi

Banned

I'm pretty sure
a giant zombie-like human biting a kid's mom in half RIGHT IN FRONT of the kid's eyes as he's begging it to stop while he's being carried away
counts as something.

Yeah, First episode.

It's just not the emotions that I like to have dug up when I'm watching something, especially in my current state of stress, anxiety, depression, etc.

I'll be sticking to much easier, relaxing shows.

The World God Only Knows II 12

Hm... Shiori? Guess I've not played enough galgames to get all the references in this episode :p

None of the lows from season 1, but neither does it hit the same highs. None of the episode were as funny as the best ones in season 1, and I didn't like how they made the dramatic moments of episode 7 worse with comedy.

All the girls are pretty good this time, but Keima is more annoying in some episodes.

All in all I give it the same score as season 1, 3/5 Elsies:
MBLEWE0.png
MBLEWE0.png
MBLEWE0.png
kNmF2ta.png
kNmF2ta.png

Much harder making a list than for season 1, but I think this is it:
Elsie > Mari > Haqua > Chihiro > Ayumi > Kusunoki > Nikaido > Nagase > Yokkyun

You may get some slack for putting Yokkyun last, but at least you posted a pic with her!

Also, Goddesses is completely different than seasons 1 and 2. I wonder how you'll enjoy it based on this. It's worth noting Goddesses is my favorite series of the 3.

Keep in mind though, before you watch S3, there's 3 OVAs you should watch. Tenri Saga, K-ON! 2-B Pencils and the Magical Pretty Girl Kanon! As far as pure story goes, at least watch the Tenri 2 episode arc, as she's a pretty vital character in Goddesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom