• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I realize that this is a naive question, and I already asked this in IRC, but as someone who started watching Kill La Kill at episode 17, can someone explain if there's any relevant reason why the
mother keeps molesting her daughter
? Is it more than fanservice?

CorvoSol

So I realize that this is a naive question, and I already asked this in IRC, but as someone who started watching Kill La Kill at episode 17, can someone explain if there's any relevant reason why the

I'm pretty sure this latest episode has implied that
Ragyo is intentionally trying to piss Satsuki off. For what purpose I don't know, because Satsuki only stated the name of some thing, but it's clear Ragyo wants Satsuki pissed at her.

My wild guess is that for some reason Ragyo intends to steal Satsuki's body, so she's been treating it more as her own possession than her daughter's.

No good reason. It's creepy fanservice.

And what a strange place to start, lol.

Narag

Ragyo is intentionally trying to piss Satsuki off. For what purpose I don't know, because Satsuki only stated the name of some thing, but it's clear Ragyo wants Satsuki pissed at her.

My wild guess is that for some reason Ragyo intends to steal Satsuki's body, so she's been treating it more as her own possession than her daughter's.

It'll be a double twist as Ragyo drives Satsuki into such a rage that she's immune to the influence of the life fiber. And as secret main character, she'll save her both her mother and her sister from the monsters they've become!!1

You may get some slack for putting Yokkyun last, but at least you posted a pic with her!

Also, Goddesses is completely different than seasons 1 and 2. I wonder how you'll enjoy it based on this. It's worth noting Goddesses is my favorite series of the 3.

Keep in mind though, before you watch S3, there's 3 OVAs you should watch. Tenri Saga, K-ON! 2-B Pencils and the Magical Pretty Girl Kanon! As far as pure story goes, at least watch the Tenri 2 episode arc, as she's a pretty vital character in Goddesses.

Well. Somebody had to be last on the list. She's better than rich girl from S1 though.

Ok. Will watch after Angel Beats.

And I'll see if I can find the OVAs.

zeroshiki

In KLK they still compete naked.

Well it wouldn't make sense for a mother of the year to abandon her, would it?

The movie actually makes the mother seem even more of a b*tch because they skipped pretty much all the subsequent contact Daikichi has with her and just had the first time they met but they added a touching scene during the ending where Daikichi sent her a picture of Rin performing in a play and she cries all over her manuscripts. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is she's probably not that 2 dimensional and has her reasons.

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey 1

There is a certain kind of beauty in this episode that I hadn't expected from the first episode. When it all began I thought that perhaps Kino was crazy, since he was talking with his motorcycle. After the robots were introduced, this concern quickly passed and we moved on to something far deeper. Since I don't know much about this show, I had no real idea of what to expect, so you might imagine that all manner of possible explanations for where the residents of the city had gone ran through my head until we actually met one and the rest quickly fell in place.

On the one hand, you could say that The Land of Visible Pain is as scathing a criticism of the concept of New Types as possible, since being a New Type is all about magical knowledge of the emotions and thoughts of others. I don't really think that's the point, but it's certainly something I got out of that particular aspect of the plot.

On the other hand, the Land of Visible Pain is very clearly a deeper statement about human society, and how we might want to know the secrets of others, so that we could understand them, but how those secret emotions and thoughts are filtered by ourselves, and without those filters we can do just as much harm to one another as we do with them, if not, as was the case of the Land of Visible Pain. A secret I choose to reveal of my own volition and on my own terms can be cathartic, liberating, and up lifting. A secret taken from me without my permission will cause pain, even if that secret was of no true consequence.

One step beyond that, though, is that there is another, different, equal pain that comes from being so afraid of pain that we separate ourselves from others. The man Kino meets clearly hungers for human companionship, and above all else he (and we later learn his wife) desires to be with the one he loves. But the fear of that pain, the pain that only someone who loves you truly knows how to inflict, keeps them apart. The tradeoff is only of one kind of pain for another, and its nearly palpable by the time the episode ends. To live in fear of others, to be ruled by distrust, by secrets, and the fear of pain is not any better than the pain of others, the wild abandon of one's filters for "honesty" and for the misguided, forceful extraction of the truth from those who would give it willingly in time.

The people of the Land of Visible Pain had forfeited the power to lie for each others' sakes, and in so doing lost the hope of moving on. Even if "people can change" is a lie, it's a necessary lie we need if we're to be happy.

Even deeper than this, though, was that you could tell that these things applied directly to Kino without anyone saying so or showing you. Kino and his master clearly had some manner of falling out, and Kino is definitely now running in the other direction from his master. Possibly because, like the people of the Land of Visible Pain, Kino is too afraid of the pain that would come with further contact to risk the chance of reconciliation.

It's an interesting way to really begin a series, and I'm left wondering where we're going with this. Visually, the environments were a treat, and the designs of the numerous robots were a manner of whimsy that reminded me of Miyazaki movies.

You actually werent supposed to know Kinos gender yet >_

But thats ok. The first episode is pretty straightforward. The series will start throwing out some very thought provoking issues soon enough.

CorvoSol

It'll be a double twist as Ragyo drives Satsuki into such a rage that she's immune to the influence of the life fiber. And as secret main character, she'll save her both her mother and her sister from the monsters they've become!!1

Since Satsuki is the main character, her anger will just fuel her Shonen Hearto until she has enough Spiral energy to win this thing. Since KLK is a prequel to TTGL, Ragyo's actions will probably be a part of what calls down the Anti-Spirals.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Probably
loosening up/preparing her body for that godly kamui they're creating.

Or she could be thirsty. *thumbs up*

Lain

Kill la Kill 19

No. Nonono. I don't like it at all how Ryuuko
acted toward Senketsu!
At least Mako
was rescued

CorvoSol

The movie actually makes the mother seem even more of a b*tch because they skipped pretty much all the subsequent contact Daikichi has with her and just had the first time they met but they added a touching scene during the ending where Daikichi sent her a picture of Rin performing in a play and she cries all over her manuscripts. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is she's probably not that 2 dimensional and has her reasons.

Oh, I agree, I don't think she's as horrible as she seems when we first meet her. Especially since Daikichi's grampa thought very highly of her. I think she probably was just not emotionally equipped to handle Rin at the time.

I don't really think anyone in Bunny Drop is a bad person. It's not that kind of show.

EXCEPT THE WRITER, CUZ THAT TIME SKIP AND ALL THAT CAME AFTER WAS BULLSHIT.

Gazoinks

All right, this is supposed to have a cult following around here, so I hope I enjoy this.

Bakemonogatari - 1

Tranlsated text. Translated text everywhere. I'm glad the top comment on the Crunchyroll page tells you that you don't need to worry about those.

Anyways our main character is a guy who's willing to help out with a girl's weightless problem after she
stapled him in the mouth.
I can't tell if this guy is crazy or just really forgiving. He's probably a bit of both.

Ararararararararararararararararararararararararararararararararararararararagi is an interesting protagonist, in that he fulfills the "regular guy" role, but he's also a very strange person.

Kino's Journey 1

Judging by your analysis of this episode, you'll probably like the rest of the show. Full steam ahead! :D I need to get around to watching the extra episodes.

Usagi Drop 5

igXT4rcRE5W6r.jpg

Huh, they went out of their way to make Rin's mother as unlikeable as possible, ya know?

Other than that, this episode just hit me right in the feels.

She gets fleshed out more later in the series. She's kind of a crappy person, granted, but understandably crappy.

Angel Beats - 2

So this episode had more antics that would have been horrifying to watch in any other anime but was made downright hilarious here.
Aw man, Engrish guy stopped doing his thing :(

Like seriously, playing Looney Tunes music over some of the crap in this show makes it all the more hilarious.

Then Yuri's backstory comes up and all happiness is lost. I mean jeez that was just downright painful to watch!
Forcing the girl to search the house for valuables and will kill the kids if she didn't comply...uggh.
No words for that scene.

But then it gets back to its comedic side. Yeah there really isn't that consistent of a tone here.

Mde7Gqv.png

Hey look! It's the SUPER ELECTRO MAGNETIC SHRAPNEL CANNON.

Narag

Since Satsuki is the main character, her anger will just fuel her Shonen Hearto until she has enough Spiral energy to win this thing. Since KLK is a prequel to TTGL, Ragyo's actions will probably be a part of what calls down the Anti-Spirals.

Spiral energy = courage = getter rays

CorvoSol

Arararararagi only exists to build a harem
for glorious Kaiki to tear apart with his bare hands.

Spiral energy = courage = getter rays

Well since
Ragyo is a dinosaur, and getter rays melt dinosaurs, I'd say this is all working out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Probably
loosening up/preparing her body for that godly kamui they're creating.

Or she could be thirsty. *thumbs up*
You're a terrible, terrible person!

Surely there are better ways to
anger a person that doesn't involve molesting them (but, of course, not actually having sex with them)

Well, hopefully they explain why it has to happen in this particular manner anyway.

No good reason. It's creepy fanservice.

And what a strange place to start, lol.
This is what other people are saying. :(
And people said 17 was good, so that's where I started. lol

The movie pushed the romcom angle much more, really. And that makes sense. It's trying to be a Nick Hornby movie, so having guy hook up with single mom is probably the thing you want to push other than the girl being cute.

You started watching KLK at episode 17? Isn't that like starting TTGL at episode 8? Or Code Geass at episode 22?

No its just fan service.

CorvoSol

anger a person that doesn't involve molesting them (but, of course, not actually having sex with them)

Well, hopefully they explain why it has to happen in this particular manner anyway.

I dunno, I mean, it's not easy to say.
Satsuki doesn't exactly have many chinks in her armor, so to speak. Ragyo could kill her friends, and maybe she planned on it, but Satsuki is hard enough that that probably wouldn't break her. Killing the old butler would, but Ragyo probably is too far removed from human emotion to really get that, plus apparently the butler had played her. Beyond that, what is there? Satsuki doesn't have many friends, and she doesn't have much of a life. She has nothing she really values. And since Ragyo probably didn't know that Satsuki felt so strongly about her father, she instead chose to just molest her. Note that when Ragyo does realize Satsuki's feelings about her father, Ragyo spends much more time picking on that point than molesting Satsuki.

But I dunno. It's tough to crack Ragyo, and while I offer these thoughts as a possible explanation, I should note that it's pretty clear that there IS the same element of pandering to the audience in this creepy fetish as there is in all the muscle bound rapists ripping bodices in every 80s Cop OVA on the List.

Jarmel

Banned
Symbionic Titan 1

So Sousuke Sagara, Teletha Testarossa and AL travel from a distant planet to attend American High School and pilot a Super Robot.

Fuck yes I love this show.

I didn't even think of Tessa and Al when watching the show actually. Now that you mention it, I definitely can see it.

CorvoSol

I didn't even think of Tessa and Al when watching the show actually. Now that you mention it, I definitely can see it.

Oh definitely. I mean, the Princess is the woman that Sagara has to protect but is in a position of authority over him and aware of his secret, making her much more Tessa than Kaname. Their bickering is more Sagara and Chidori, but the dynamic of the rest of the relationship is way more Tessa and Sousuke.

And the robot buddy is AL.

Branduil

You're a terrible, terrible person!

This is what other people are saying. :(
And people said 17 was good, so that's where I started. lol

The movie pushed the romcom angle much more, really. And that makes sense. It's trying to be a Nick Hornby movie, so having guy hook up with single mom is probably the thing you want to push other than the girl being cute.

People on IRC told me to start at episode 16 since it apparently recaps the entire series in 3 minutes, but I'm not sure I want to do it even so.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh definitely. I mean, the Princess is the woman that Sagara has to protect but is in a position of authority over him and aware of his secret, making her much more Tessa than Kaname. Their bickering is more Sagara and Chidori, but the dynamic of the rest of the relationship is way more Tessa and Sousuke.

And the robot buddy is AL.

I think it was the bickering that threw me off, I was thinking more of the Chidori dynamic but you're right, the setup and character is definitely closer to Tessa.

Angel Beats - 2

So this episode had more antics that would have been horrifying to watch in any other anime but was made downright hilarious here.
Aw man, Engrish guy stopped doing his thing :(

Like seriously, playing Looney Tunes music over some of the crap in this show makes it all the more hilarious.

Then Yuri's backstory comes up and all happiness is lost. I mean jeez that was just downright painful to watch!
Forcing the girl to search the house for valuables and will kill the kids if she didn't comply...uggh.
No words for that scene.

But then it gets back to its comedic side. Yeah there really isn't that consistent of a tone here.

The show is mainly a drama with comedic tones.

Yuri's backstory is one of the more sad backstories of the series. Painful to watch as in it made you sad or painful as in you didn't want to watch it?

Yeah the series goes from sad to funny back to sad and back to funny. It weaves back and forth (much like how Clannad did it). It's mainly to either to break up the tension of the dramatic scenes or to pace the comedy. I think episode 4 is where they really hit their stride with this pacing.

Also I never played loony toons music. I was ROFL when each of the
characters died to that gentle Jpop song
. Lol

CorvoSol

I think it was the bickering that threw me off, I was thinking more of the Chidori dynamic but you're right, the setup and character is definitely closer to Tessa.

She probably combines elements of both. I need to see more tsundere and smacking around before I can say for sure, though.

Bluray player set up. Disc ready to go. Time to start a series Ive wanted to watch for a very long time.

NopV3GW.jpg

The show is mainly a drama with comedic tones.

Yuri's backstory is one of the more sad backstories of the series. Painful to watch as in it made you sad or painful as in you didn't want to watch it?

Yeah the series goes from sad to funny back to sad and back to funny. It weaves back and forth (much like how Clannad did it). It's mainly to either to break up the tension of the dramatic scenes or to pace the comedy. I think episode 4 is where they really hit their stride with this pacing.

Also I never played loony toons music. I was ROFL when each of the
characters died to that gentle Jpop song
. Lol

Well pretty much both for Yuri's backstory.

Yeah I'm not sure how going from sad to funny is going to work in this show since there's no sense of real danger (outside of the Angel anyway). I can definetly see the middle ground they're going for with this show when it comes to comedy and drama. But right now I think it would have been better if they stuck with either one or the other. I know there should be a good balance...but I'm not really feeling it so far in this show.

But like I said before I'll see how things work out.

Also, I mainly played the loony toons music whenever a giant hammer came out of the ceiling and whacked somebody.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You started watching KLK at episode 17? Isn't that like starting TTGL at episode 8? Or Code Geass at episode 22?
I don't think I'll ever go back to fill in the gaps, so it was then or not at all. lol

People on IRC told me to start at episode 16 since it apparently recaps the entire series in 3 minutes, but I'm not sure I want to do it even so.
I was told that 15-16 is when things happen, but 17 was when people here went OMGWTFBBQ, so I figured that was a place to start.

I dunno, I mean, it's not easy to say.
Satsuki doesn't exactly have many chinks in her armor, so to speak. Ragyo could kill her friends, and maybe she planned on it, but Satsuki is hard enough that that probably wouldn't break her. Killing the old butler would, but Ragyo probably is too far removed from human emotion to really get that, plus apparently the butler had played her. Beyond that, what is there? Satsuki doesn't have many friends, and she doesn't have much of a life. She has nothing she really values. And since Ragyo probably didn't know that Satsuki felt so strongly about her father, she instead chose to just molest her. Note that when Ragyo does realize Satsuki's feelings about her father, Ragyo spends much more time picking on that point than molesting Satsuki.

But I dunno. It's tough to crack Ragyo, and while I offer these thoughts as a possible explanation, I should note that it's pretty clear that there IS the same element of pandering to the audience in this creepy fetish as there is in all the muscle bound rapists ripping bodices in every 80s Cop OVA on the List.
Heh. Well, I appreciate your trust in the show if nothing else. Certainly I can't offer any real alternatives since I haven't really seen the show, but it just seems like it's made for the SDBurtons of the world rather than trying to reveal something specific about the characters. lol

Whaaat? Lies!
lol

CorvoSol

Heh. Well, I appreciate your trust in the show if nothing else. Certainly I can't offer any real alternatives since I haven't really seen the show, but it just seems like it's made for the SDBurtons of the world rather than trying to reveal something specific about the characters. lol

On the one hand, you could well be right. On the other hand, I've seen so much worse now that frankly KLK barely phases me. Like, I sit there in blank apathy or go "really? Is this the most shocking thing we have in our arsenal? Cuz I've seen Apocalypse Zero." A villain mingling
sex and violence
in the way that KLK is doing with
Ragyo and Satsuki is sort of kind of done and done already. Call me when we're kissing faces off of dudes and then swallowing them whole and then barfing their digested corpses up.

I've been exposed to so much awful I don't remember what regular bad is like.

Mature

Well pretty much both for Yuri's backstory.

Yeah I'm not sure how going from sad to funny is going to work in this show since there's no sense of real danger (outside of the Angel anyway). I can definetly see the middle ground they're going for with this show when it comes to comedy and drama. But right now I think it would have been better if they stuck with either one or the other. I know there should be a good balance...but I'm not really feeling it so far in this show.

But like I said before I'll see how things work out.

Also, I mainly played the loony toons music whenever a giant hammer came out of the ceiling and whacked somebody.

Lol funny I said this about Log Horizen earlier today.

But anyways to the bolded part..... maybe watch the next episode. :3 ;)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
On the one hand, you could well be right. On the other hand, I've seen so much worse now that frankly KLK barely phases me. Like, I sit there in blank apathy or go "really? Is this the most shocking thing we have in our arsenal? Cuz I've seen Apocalypse Zero." A villain mingling
sex and violence
in the way that KLK is doing with
Ragyo and Satsuki is sort of kind of done and done already. Call me when we're kissing faces off of dudes and then swallowing them whole and then barfing their digested corpses up.

I've been exposed to so much awful I don't remember what regular bad is like.
Well, it's more the incest thing that weirds me out more than anything else I suppose. lol

Is Dusk Maiden of Amnesia any good? I like the sound of the premise.
yeah, watch it.
The best ghost! It was a fun romcom and very much full of Oonumaisms straight out of Natsu no Arashi.

Yeah, it's pretty decent supernatural romance anime. Feel free to skip the first episode however.
I think I'm the only one who liked the first episode. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom