• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Higurashi 6

OH NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

NO THANK YOU MA'AM. I AM LEAVING THIS TOWN FOREVER.

Like for reals how he manages to not try running for the hills after seeing this is BEYOND me.

This is good, I will say one thing about season one that it has over this season, it made better use of it downtime, though that is due in a large part of Clouf Knight being very boring anti-villains.

I'll be totally honest here.

After watching episode 6, I was actually kind of rooting for the Cloud Knights all the way. I just found their backstory really touching. Them being forced to serve whoever the book falls into the hands of. Now they're suddenly a happy family with a young girl, and that happiness may be taken away from them because the book is eating away at Hayate's life unless she awakens as the true master.

All these knights want is for their kind master to be safe. The care they have for her is so great they don't care if Hayate hates them for making her the master of the book. They just want her alive. All in all, the conflict they set up here is ten times better than the one in the last season, as its not just "Bad guy must be stopped kind of conflict" and a really complex one, where I didn't really want anyone to lose or win.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I kept my list balanced and Silver Spoon covered the countryside show angle and Kiniro Mosaic covered the cute girls show angle (and it had British girls so I had to vote for it by default).

I mean I had a comedy show, a flash short show, an Inferno Cop show, an idol show, a country side show, cute girls show, a show from the director of Mitsudomoe show, a dark show and a lewd show. Something for everyone!

cajunator

Banned
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's Episode 8:

Right, this was, well, to be frank, a dull episode, a few new tidbit learned but ultimately way too much repetition on themes already expounded upon to be actually interesting. Get back to the Gundam Matches already.

I dont recall any real downtime in the series but I could have just been super hyped as I am prone to doing.

Ojamajo Doremi ♯ - Episodes 1-9

I feel like the series is got off to a slow start as it was tieing up all the loose ends of the previous series
Doremi and the rest becoming apprentices again and the Cursed Cards being the two things left over

Once that was out of the way it has become, at the moment, on par with the 1st series. I especially liked Episode 9 giving Majo Rika some backstory and was my favourite of the 9 episodes I've watched so far. Plus Episode 8's Onpu focused episode was also pretty well done as well.

My feelings on this so far: ♯

FMP 24

Holy shit
that Tessa news is the best thing ever. Normal Tessa is terrible.

So I got some sad news halfway through the episode so I wasn't able to enjoy it completely but... good finale. Gauron is one wacky guy. Now to Fumoffu!

I kept my list balanced and Silver Spoon covered the countryside show angle and Kiniro Mosaic covered the cute girls show angle (and it had British girls so I had to vote for it by default).

I mean I had a comedy show, a flash short show, an Inferno Cop show, an idol show, a country side show, cute girls show, a show from the director of Mitsudomoe show, a dark show and a lewd show. Something for everyone!

Well... I can't be too angry since you had KKK on your list :p

cajunator

Banned
I'll be totally honest here.

After watching episode 6, I was actually kind of rooting for the Cloud Knights all the way. I just found their backstory really touching. Them being forced to serve whoever the book falls into the hands of. Now they're suddenly a happy family with a young girl, and that happiness may be taken away from them because the book is eating away at Hayate's life unless she awakens as the true master.

All these knights want is for their kind master to be safe. The care they have for her is so great they don't care if Hayate hates them for making her the master of the book. They just want her alive. All in all, the conflict they set up here is ten times better than the one in the last season, as its not just "Bad guy must be stopped kind of conflict" and a really complex one, where I didn't really want anyone to lose or win.

I had a similar hangup in Magic Knight Rayearth. that one caught me off guard.

CorvoSol

Man I hate the Star Driver OP so much. It's the one thing in this show I really do not like so far. Gonna sound like shit in SRW.

tumblr_n0aydf5Etg1s9mwh8o1_500.jpg
tumblr_n0aydf5Etg1s9mwh8o2_500.jpg
Quite an acceptable answer !
There are people who hate Dark Souls?
Yes
I m one of them
demon soul da best
Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 47

iF3yV2R7z5yUd.gif

Uh, guys? If you're going to climb a giant staircase with thousands of steps, would it not make a little more sense to do it in your human forms? No? You're just going to keep hopping? Okay then. Just thought I'd throw that one out there.
Yep another reason why coco & nuts are the most useless fairies in the precure metaverse ?

DAAAAAAARLING

Suzu-tan is the best, still didn't watch episode 16 though, did they give up on the stupid idea of trying to make it a battle anime again? It was so much better as Persona Social Links

the show is much better when thee are battles in it . Social links are cool , but sometimes you need to fusion and go exploring that dongeon.

cajunator

Banned
Quite an acceptable answer !

Yes
I m one of them
demon soul da best

Yep another reason why coco & nuts are the most useless fairies in the precure metaverse ?

the show is much better when thee are battles in it . Social links are cool , but sometimes you need to fusion and go exploring that dongeon.

I laughed at that. Precure always doing things the hard way.

Nobunagun 04-05

Honestly, the most interesting part about this is finding out that
Sio is basically bisexual
. I The "I have Asao" moment and all of that fun stuff on the ship was amusing. (I especially like Gandhi just messing with her).

Seeing someone able to watch Go Go to completion is a joyous thing, for many reasons.

I KNOW RIGHT?

Toriko Episode 140 – Counterattack! Zebra Starts Up!

I dont understand why Toei is afraid of making stabs a bit more intense looking. It was silly adding blue light in place of blood on certain moments (while then having at least dried blood on characters). i hadnt noticed it before but then going back I guess its been present occasionally this arc, though todays episode and the blue light was just baffling (Setsuna face and blue light for example, and then one moment with
Chiyo backstab
).

Gbraga

You still haven't explained that GIF.

Koiuta episode 5, it was quite fun actually. The episodes are kinda slow paced but the flashbacks and the greater story involving the mithology and the past of the characters is pretty damn good.

My favorite anime this season that doesn't focus too much on cute girls being cute, so it still loses to No-rin, Mikakunin, Sakura Trick and Nisekoi.

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 48 END

I hope I'm not spoiling anybody terribly here, but...HAPPY END!!!

Well, except the part where Flora disappeared, I guess, but that always seemed fairly inevitable, and even that was more hopeful than sad, since she turned into a seed which would grow into a flower of new life or whatever. (And who really cared about Flora anyway? Except Syrup, who was raised by her from an egg, and even he seemed pretty okay with it after she pointed out that he has other friends to keep him company now...)

Big Bad got exactly what was coming to him, namely a PRECURE MILKY ROSE FLORAL EXPLOSION to the face followed by total annihilation. Cute touch that he was semi-dragged into the void of nothingness by Anacondy, who still wanted to be with him even after he had wiped her from existence. Aw, how sweet, you can be dead villainous scum together.

And then we have the usual epilogue-y stuff. The most entertaining part was probably Bunbee starting a legitimate business for himself, with his lone employee being a dead ringer for Kawarino. Now that's a blast from the past! Can't say it's exactly a good omen, but I wish Bunbee all the best in his new endeavours. For all the villaining he's done over the course of these two series, he never seemed like a legitimately bad guy, just, er...very misguided.

As for the Cures themselves, you know the drill. They're all back to pursuing their dreams while occasionally taking time out to hang out with their cute mascot friends in fantasyland. Looks like Urara finally got up on the big stage and fulfilled her dream, Rin's still making accessories, Nozomi's...probably going to become a teacher someday...and so forth. There was a cute callback to the scene about a hundred episodes ago when Nozomi and Coco first met, and one giant KETTEI in unison to tie everything up. So that's that!

---

Final thoughts on GoGo overall: It was pretty fun. I do think the series suffered from sequel drag, in a similar way to Max Heart - a full hundred-ish episodes is just a really long time to keep following the same group of characters in this kind of show, particularly when their character arcs were largely tied up at the end of the first series, but I think GoGo handled it an awful lot better than Max Heart did.

By focusing in on new elements such as Kurumi/Milky Rose (who I think we can all agree was a much more fun character than Hikari/Shiny Luminous ever was), Syrup (who was really likable and added quite a bit to the group dynamics) and the characters all working towards achieving their clear individual dreams (some of which were only introduced at the very end of the previous series), the series avoided ever really feeling like it was retreading the same ground; it was just an enjoyable extended encore from a group of characters who deserved it.

It also helped that unlike Max Heart, GoGo didn't suffer from a completely banal set of villains. I don't think Eternal are going to win any Best Villainous Organisation Ever prizes or anything, but they did at least bring a decent variety of interesting faces to the table, many of which were nicely distinguished with individual gimmicks (The twins had their whole freakish attitude, mushoom crone had her storybook worlds, and of course Momoi-san had his human disguise and magical showmanship which resulted in some of the series' most entertaining episodes.) Some of them were individually a little weak (Scorp really didn't have anything going for him outside of the Koyasu voice, and Never Tacos' only redeeming quality was a somewhat amusing name), but those tended to be the ones that got killed off fastest. And that's a point in and of itself - unlike Max Heart, this series at least actually had the guts to kill villains off occasionally and bring in new ones, keeping the gallery from getting too stale, and also unlike Max Heart, they felt completely distinct from the villains of the first season (well, except for Bunbee, but he was basically a running joke at this point =p).

One opinion I think I've heard brought up around here is that GoGo neutered the character relationships and development, and while I can sort of see where that opinion might come from, I can't say it ever particularly bothered me. If there was a lack of character development compared to the first series, it was because the characters had already undergone most of the development they needed, and most of their "development" in this season was in the form of working towards their dreams, which I thought worked really well.

As for the relationships, I didn't think they felt any weaker than in the first season, with the notable exception of the romance between Coco and Nozomi, which was clearly placed permanently on the backburner. Which is a pity, but also fair enough to an extent, since that relationship had already reached its climax in the first season, and there was really no way for them to take it any further than that in a show of this nature. Komachi and Nuts was similarly de-emphasised, but that one never felt so prominent in the first place, so it didn't really bother me.

But yeah, all the other relationships felt as strong as ever. Nozomi and Rin were still fast friends and great compliments to each other, and Karen and Komachi of course were still inseparable. Urara now had a proper "counterpart" of her own in Syrup (their bonding scenes being some of the sweetest in this series), and it was heartwarming to see Kurumi become more and more a full part of the group (culminating in her acknowledgement at the end of the gameshow two-parter). Overall, more than having too much emphasis on individual relationships, the whole group felt like it had become a big family. Can't complain.

Oh, and one last thing the series did better than Max Heart, since it's so easy to compare those shows: the plot coupon characters! Both Max Heart and GoGo had mascot-ish characters serve as the main plot coupons (the Heartiels and the four Kings respectively), but GoGo's execution here beat out Max Heart's in pretty much every feasible way.

Max Heart had a full 12 Heartiels, which was too many to really have them all function as proper characters, so they felt very much like plot coupons that happened to talk rather than actual parts of the cast. GoGo, on the other hand, kept the number down to 4 Kings, which gave each one enough time for us to get to know them before they were sent home to their own Kingdoms, and they even came back to help out occasionally afterwards. GoGo also had the whole Palmin concept to make up for the fact that four wasn't really a very big number to "collect", which made for some entertaining moments when the various Palmins turned out to be utterly random items, but also helped to make it feel like more of a big deal whenever one of them turned out to really be one of the Kings.

In Max Heart, of course, collecting the Heartiels never felt like a big deal, since there was never any effort required from the Cures. They just kind of showed up as they felt like it, hung around for a while because they felt like it, and then went into the Chairect whenever they felt like it. By contrast, GoGo had the Cures chasing Palmins around left, right and centre, and it also had the whole concept of the Four Kings' energy being drained by being trapped as Palmins, which gave them a legitimate excuse to stick around while they recuperated, the opportunity for some fun dramatic moments when they recovered enough to use their powers to help out, and of course the opportunity for the Cures to show their goodwill by taking good care of them. It worked really nicely.

Soyeah, I think that just about covers everything. Final verdict: Rin is mai waifu, NozomixCoco remains best pairing but UraraxSyrup is pretty damn cute as well, KarenxKurumi needed more screentime but Kurumi herself had plenty of opportunity to be cute and she's way better than Karen anyway, Bunbee moe~~~~~~ (wait what), Princess Kanna Crepe best tears, and I FINALLY FINISHED IT HELLS YEAH.

Still got the movie to watch, of course, but after that it's moving right along to Fresh! I guess this actually marks the halfway point of my great Precure odyssey. Five series down, five to go! Looks like I'm going to get up to date before Happiness Charge is done, that's for sure, but let's try and make it sooner than that! >.<

Yowamushi Pedal Episode 17

This whole event is way more intense then it needs to be but its just too incredible. The part with Aoyagi and Teshima's dedication and them expressing their desire, really makes me want to see them succeed. I havent felt that way in a sports since well some moments in oofuri, free, and Kuroko (that one Kise match).
will hurt so bad if Aoyagi and Teshima cant even go to the interhigh, I hope some plot element lets all five go since they are neck and neck and neck and neck

CorvoSol

Star Driver 3

Man, I don't see what's not to like about this show so far, Jarmel. Sure, the characters aren't gonna win any awards for depth, but their stupid-fun, Mrs. Watanabe especially. Takuto is a less-cool Reiji, so I can dig him, too. The fights aren't long enough for me, but what their is is still pretty darn good. The show's pacing feels right at the moment too. Not too much time wasted on yap yip yap and no threat of battle fatigue thus far, either. It's colorful, easy on the eyes, and entertaining without being taxing.

So far I like it.

Gintama 10

This episode was funny, but it also revealed something about Kagura that's... very sad.
She has to actively control her own strength so she doesn't accidentally kill something. It's kind of sad, even though they played that rabbit story for... some kind of laugh.

Also? I love how she didn't spare a thought of Gin on that car. I'd like to think it's because she'd know he'd probably survive. The dog on the otherhand, she was less sure of.

Gbraga

Yowamushi Pedal Episode 17

This whole event is way more intense then it needs to be but its just too incredible. The part with Aoyagi and Teshima's dedication and them expressing their desire, really makes me want to see them succeed. I havent felt that way in a sports since well some moments in oofuri, free, and Kuroko (that one Kise match).
will hurt so bad if Aoyagi and Teshima cant even go to the interhigh, I hope some plot element lets all five go since they are neck and neck and neck and neck

I know right? It even felt weird to see Teshima acting like a dick just to justify him losing later after watching their amazing backstory. I couldn't help but hope they'd win.

But then Onoda had to start being Onoda and not even the characters can help it, everyone roots for him cause he's adorable.

Needs more Love Hime though

Gazoinks

Gintama 10

This episode was funny, but it also revealed something about Kagura that's... very sad.
She has to actively control her own strength so she doesn't accidentally kill something. It's kind of sad, even though they played that rabbit story for... some kind of laugh.

Also? I love how she didn't spare a thought of Gin on that car. I'd like to think it's because she'd know he'd probably survive. The dog on the otherhand, she was less sure of.

If there's one thing that Gintama's good at, it's making you laugh and feel sad/touched at the same time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
D-Frag 5
4bTCVTyl.jpg

Okay, this was a great pregnant pause. Oblivious guy is oblivious, also slowly building up that harem.

The Pilot's Love Song
d0Jz8mdl.jpg

It honestly feels like they wasted the cliffhanger from the last episode, since it's mostly status-quo. Other than the short gimmick of the shock, it just doesn't go anywhere in the follow up.

Articalys

The Pilot's Love Song

It honestly feels like they wasted the cliffhanger from the last episode, since it's mostly status-quo. Other than the short gimmick of the shock, it just doesn't go anywhere in the follow up.
At least
they gave us a NINA VIENTO flashback, so it was nice to see a few things from her side for a bit.

And yeah, relating to the gif Gbraga posted, it feels like they used the first half of the episode to completely justify having the quick swimsuits scene in the OP. The immediate followup scene to that gif was amusing too.

CorvoSol

The Pilot's Love Song
d0Jz8mdl.jpg

KYUN KYUN KYUN KYUN

MY NOT BOYFRIEND IS A PILOTO

Dog & Scissors 06

It was a relatively cute episode (
and it had human!Kazu in a flashback, which is a treat
). The resolution was funny too, but... we're six episodes into the show, and we still have a bunch of characters to introduce.

cajunator

Banned
Not precure , useless fairies ...

----------------
Tonari no seki-kun - 05

Seems like we've got our antagonist for the anime...

excellent episode as usual.

well I mean precure series not actual Precures in this case.

Dog & Scissors 06

It was a relatively cute episode (
and it had human!Kazu in a flashback, which is a treat
). The resolution was funny too, but... we're six episodes into the show, and we still have a bunch of characters to introduce.

Dat masochist girl.
what is your opinion of her? It should be "best girl"

Jarmel

Banned
Man I hate the Star Driver OP so much. It's the one thing in this show I really do not like so far. Gonna sound like shit in SRW.

Yea I really don't like the OP either. It's surprising as it's storyboarded by Watanabe but it's sorta bland. The song being awful doesn't help either. I much like the ED instead.

Star Driver 3

Man, I don't see what's not to like about this show so far, Jarmel. Sure, the characters aren't gonna win any awards for depth, but their stupid-fun, Mrs. Watanabe especially. Takuto is a less-cool Reiji, so I can dig him, too. The fights aren't long enough for me, but what their is is still pretty darn good. The show's pacing feels right at the moment too. Not too much time wasted on yap yip yap and no threat of battle fatigue thus far, either. It's colorful, easy on the eyes, and entertaining without being taxing.

So far I like it.

The first batch up to episode 9 are fine, I have to rewatch the later stuff as I remember it gets stale somewhere in the middle.

Yes, that's one thing I do like about the show is that the characters are a lot of fun. Vice President is a cool mascot. Takuto is a fun lead and Wako is pretty playful. The villains are also all very charismatic.

Yowamushi Pedal 17

Sad-Finn-Jake-Get-Wet-In-The-Rain-On-Adventure-Time.gif

Why does it have to end with that cliffhanger?

The entire episode was so good. Got all excited with the 2nd years and Onoda's comebacks.

Now I'm depressed that I have to wait a week to find out the winners.

Dresden

yowamushi pedal - 17

the face made me lol

Not much might happen from episode to episode, but the characters are so appealing that it's enough to push things along. Even the second-year riders - originally setup as nothing but an opponent/roadblock - have been developed to a point where their loss will be a bitter one.

CorvoSol

Yea I really don't like the OP either. It's surprising as it's storyboarded by Watanabe but it's sorta bland. The song being awful doesn't help either. I much like the ED instead.

The first batch up to episode 9 are fine, I have to rewatch the later stuff as I remember it gets stale somewhere in the middle.

Yes, that's one thing I do like about the show is that the characters are a lot of fun. Vice President is a cool mascot. Takuto is a fun lead and Wako is pretty playful. The villains are also all very charismatic.

Yeah I'm really enjoying it all so far. It'll make it worse if it falls apart later.

zeroshiki

Geass didn't use the OP for all of its units except for Suzaku so there is precedent to just using battle music instead of the OP.

FMP Fumoffu 1

...eh, okay first episode. I'm guessing this isn't technically "canon" after the first season's finale seeing Sousuke being completely incompetent at normal human interaction just doesn't feel right. I felt like it was trying too hard to be ridiculous and ended up being a lot less funny than the school episodes of the first season.

I mean seriously? Sousuke
still can't comprehend love? I thought that issue was dealt with or at least addressed so that he wouldn't be this stupid.

edit: After looking it up more I see I'm pretty much missing the whole point of this show haha. Ah well, still not really feeling it.

zeroshiki

FMP Fumoffu 1

...eh, okay first episode. I'm guessing this isn't technically "canon" after the first season's finale seeing Sousuke being completely incompetent at normal human interaction just doesn't feel right. I felt like it was trying too hard to be ridiculous and ended up being a lot less funny than the school episodes of the first season.

I mean seriously? Sousuke
still can't comprehend love? I thought that issue was dealt with or at least addressed so that he wouldn't be this stupid.

Fumoffu occurs in between the events of the mainline FMP. Its supposed to be a bunch of comedy sidestories.

Oreshura 1-13 END

Holy crap this show was funny. More please! I hope it was popular enough to get a season 2. Looks like the 7th light novel is coming out 2 weeks. I disliked how the anime ended though. Out of all the characters, the Masuzu was definitely the least appealing. Chiwa was the best and the other two are great too cause they're hilarious. I was definitely surprised at how much I enjoyed this show. Theater scene was the best scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom