• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanBlue

The nice thing about Inari as a protagonist is that she actually develops relationships that aren't purely romantic. She helps everyone grow as characters.

Just because some people are wrong doesn't change the fact that it's the least interesting part of the show. Touka is an awful character, his constant abrasive male-tsundere-ing is borderline intolerable and I can't bring myself to give a shit what happens to him. Uka is admittedly kind of adorable sometimes, but I don't feel much need to see her romantic endeavours, least of all with that guy.

Inari, meanwhile, is da bes, and is surrounded by all the characters who are actually likable. QED, Touka needs to gtfo of the screentime that would be better devoted to literally anyone else.

I'm sorry to break this to you, truly, but no one gives two shits about the imouto and her cringey teenage romance. Its melodrama to the max mixed with cringeworthy lines and predictable scenarios.

Everyone wants Touka and Uka to have more screen time since their relationship seems genuine due to us being able to witness the development of both characters.

CorvoSol

No Corvo no. Just look up the cow gif and call it a day.

Do you really think I would come this far in The List to turn back now? I made a commitment.

Besides, good anime scares me. I don't know what to do with it. That or I'm broken and I don't enjoy "good" anime anymore anyway.

Narag

Do you really think I would come this far in The List to turn back now? I made a commitment.

Besides, good anime scares me. I don't know what to do with it. That or I'm broken and I don't enjoy "good" anime anymore anyway.

Well I hope you enjoy the matador fight then!

I'm sorry to break this to you, truly, but no one gives two shits about the imouto and her cringey teenage romance. Its melodrama to the max mixed with cringeworthy lines and predictable scenarios.

Everyone wants Touka and Uka to have more screen time since their relationship seems genuine due to us being able to witness the development of both characters.

q2uBeBV.gif

Preach it sista

cajunator

Banned
I'm also watching Melody of Oblivion, or at least, I'm starting it today.

Oh god why? ;_;
*hugs Corvy

I know you have made a commitment but I also hope you enjoy Kino's Journey too.
I think you will.

OceanBlue

Lol what? Touka and Uka are nice side characters but that's all they are. Uka is still struggling with the same problem as in the beginning of the series with virtually no development. Their relationship just consists of Touka being tsundere while Uka reacts in the same way every time. There isn't even anything to be predictable about in their relationship because nothing happens.

cnet128

Banned

Oh, because the Uka/Touka scenario isn't generic and predictable at all. It's completely one-note. Uka: "Oh no I think I may have feelings for a huuuuuman whatever will I do? I know let's blush around him a bit then go to his room and play videogames." Touka: "Tsun tsun tsun I'm a male tsundere who missed the memo about the dere part, I clearly don't hate this girl but let's act like I do and glare at her all the time for no reason while 'begrudgingly' allowing her to spend time with me." Rinse and repeat every time they're on screen together.

I understand it's a favorite here, yes. But maybe I need to take into consideration that not everybody is as easy going about anime discussions and really get into it to the point of insults being thrown left and right. I tend to joke around when it comes to insulting, but I have seen folk getting insulted, so wouldn't surprise me Hyouka had that reaction

I always preferred El-Hazard, if only because an actual choice was made.
What but in the tenchi muyo oavs ( the only continuity that matters ) he made a choice :
3 wifes, rest are mistresses
No i'm not kidding.
InuXBoku SS 10

Kagerou is the best thing about this show.

Kagerou_Shoukiin.png

This thread is sadist!
this post is masochist!

Agreed. The ending of the OAV is beautiful, right in the feels.
Ah i want to post thissssssssss:
Ah screw it here it goes :
1361048056316.gif

Three seasons of experience. :(
But the fourth season is the best ... ( an actual plot , actual battles and no bullshit fillers )

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren 8

Episode of Dekomori yuri NTR.

And it was glorious.
? hum ? My interest is picked ... now i might just watch this ( serie was on hold )

So Corvo admits he can't enjoy good anime. Hence why he couldn't enjoy Hyouka.
But corvo is enjoying gundma build fighters ...
So he enjoys good anime.

The reason people are enjoying Touka x Uka over Inari x bland guy or Yuri x Closet Yuri is because it ends up becoming as realistic as two people attracted to each other becomes. If you're not enjoying it right now that's a shame, because it truly does become wonderful. You're still seeing the early stages, it doesn't get good yet because they're still not sure how they feel about each other. Touka stops being tsundere like pretty much immediately after this section. This is another relationship that moves past the pretending to dislike each other phase fairly early in the manga and goes quickly to a mutual understanding yet can't act on feelings phase. Which many shows never reach, and the manga is still fairly young.

Inari on the other hand never stops being typical wide-eyed klutz moe girl. That has been seen way more many times nowadays with the wave of moe and girls in school doing nothing shows. And I know you enjoy moe and cute things, so all to you but let's not pretend this doesn't fall into trope preferences.

CorvoSol

So Corvo admits he can't enjoy good anime. Hence why he couldn't enjoy Hyouka.

But I said I couldn't enjoy good anime.
rimshot

Symbiotic Titan 6

I can, however, still enjoy good Western Cartoons. Let's talk about them for a minute. I love Adventure Time, I do, and I still get a kick out of Spongebob when I sit down to watch it, but let's do some real talk: ain't nobody makes a good Western 'toon the way Tartakovsky does. Specifically action cartoons. I mean, this man gives me a Mecha show, the legendary Samurai Jack, AND his version of the Clone Wars is still probably the best thing related to the prequel trilogy. And that's before we look at the rest of his resume. Tartakovsky is king, y'all.

This episode was a good one for the cast, delving into the backstory of Lance and adding some depth to Ilana, but as usual, it was all Newton all the time. It's really hard to decide which Newton is the best. His boxy, nerdy, high school look, his frazzled, haggard dad look, or his goofy clear robot default. The point is Newton is the boss.

I hope you know that Symbiotic Titan got cancelled. Cartoon Network cancels everything half decent if it doesn't appeal to kids.

Adventure Time went completely downhill after a couple of seasons, so did Regular Show. Symbionic Titan and Samurai Jack never had a chance to go downhill because they were cancelled while they were still good.

At least Hotel Transylvania and Dexter's Lab did well. He'll always have those

Inari is super-adorable and I can feel nothing but pity for those who don't appreciate her.

I've seen adorable way too many times and there's usually like twenty shows per season to fill this quota. I don't need another.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Happiness Science Precure 1-4 (cont.)

I completely forgot. There's actual oldschool magical girl in this!

IUkgGcP.jpg

The long-awaited return of the Hensou Pen! We're even Minky Momo now.

Also Cure Moon Princess!

m3y2fXo.jpg

And inevitably, some Toei Quality too.

fertygo

Mushi-shi - 21

Goddamn, this episode are so creepy.. damn I feel bad for the mother, I wouldn't imagine these thing to anybody.

OceanBlue

The reason people are enjoying Touka x Uka over Inari x bland guy or Yuri x Closet Yuri is because it ends up becoming as realistic as two people attracted to each other becomes. If you're not enjoying it right now that's a shame, because it truly does become wonderful. You're still seeing the early stages, it doesn't get good yet because they're still not sure how they feel about each other. Touka stops being tsundere like pretty much immediately after this section. This is another relationship that moves past the pretending to dislike each other phase fairly early in the manga and goes quickly to a mutual understanding yet can't act on feelings phase. Which many shows never reach, and the manga is still fairly young.

Inari on the other hand never stops being typical wide-eyed klutz moe girl. That has been seen way more many times nowadays with the wave of moe and girls in school doing nothing shows. And I know you enjoy moe and cute things, so all to you but let's not pretend this doesn't fall into trope preferences.
Lol I'm reading the manga as well and their relationship is still stagnant and unremarkable. You can dress it up however you like with "But they're not aware of their feelings!" but, meanwhile, the other characters are actually developing as actual characters. Inari especially has had more time becoming more mature about using her transformations and becoming more self-confident. The other characters feel like characters. Touka only exists to be a love interest for Uka.

Lmao trope preferences. Maybe you just like unrealistic princess otaku characters? Don't project yourself on Touka too much.

Lol I'm reading the manga as well and their relationship is still stagnant and unremarkable. You can dress it up however you like with "But they're not aware of their feelings!" but, meanwhile, the other characters are actually developing as actual characters. Inari especially has had more time becoming more mature about using her transformations and becoming more self-confident. The other characters feel like characters. Touka only exists to be a love interest for Uka.

Lmao trope preferences. Maybe you just like unrealistic princess otaku characters? Don't project yourself on Touka too much.

I was talking about trope preferences for both sides (tsundere vs moe klutz), so let's not start with insults or this will spiral into something really pathetic and eventually into your favorite anime is shit. I'm not about to go down that path over a show of all things. Video games on the other hand I'm a bit more inclined to get defensive over.

And no I have no preference for unrealistic princess otaku characters. In fact I didn't even know that was a thing, I just enjoy a better portrayal of romance and the school romance will probably not go very far until the end. Maybe you're not as far in the manga? Because the implications of their actions and their reactions to the stuff they've been doing means their relationship has evolved considerably. Uka is not as oblivious as she was, and Touka hasn't been tsundere. I do heavily dislike moe and cute girls doing shit in high school though so yes I'm on the opposite side of bias.

Theonik

Happiness Charge PreCure 04
iJd6yt904TGt1.png
iCEVq4IWAYxap.png

Where can I get my own pet Hime?
An OK episode about Hime making friends. I think I'll stick with this show. It's not the best PreCure I've seen but already it has surpassed Smile's sloppy as hell introduction episodes I feel so I will stick with it. Great faces too.
IT'S HAPPENING!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Happiness Charge PreCure 04

An OK episode about Hime making friends. I think I'll stick with this show. It's not the best PreCure I've seen but already it has surpassed Smile's sloppy as hell introduction episodes I feel so I will stick with it. Great faces too.
IT'S HAPPENING!
What's important isn't that these episodes have been entirely outstanding in their own right, but that they exhibit no obstacles to future episodes being outstanding. The potential is there.

Also, the use of inverse gradient bars was so 90's.

wait are peeps really hatin on uka x touka itt?

welp time to burn this shit down

Biggest issue is anime only having a couple of more episodes, and they'll be pretty heavily focused on Uka x Touma and Uka x Inari. So the Inari fans are disappointed as they want more adorable Inari. While I have no hard numbers, they're in the minority (At least among english speaking fans, I'm sure Japan prefers moe) and I expect the uka touka fans to be delighted. Until it ends way too early of course.

Soma

wait are peeps really hatin on uka x touka itt?

welp time to burn this shit down

I think it's less that and more of attempting to show that the series offers more than just the whole uka x touka thing. Yeah their relationship is great and all but to completely write-off the show just because they don't have enough spotlight is being really unfair to the series as a whole.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So InaKon is only 10 episodes?

There's a natural stopping point in the manga that fits in with that, but all the (mango spoilz)
subplots aren't going to be resolved at all. Including the whole yuri angst thing.

I guess this really is a commercial. lol

Theonik

What's important isn't that these episodes have been entirely outstanding in their own right, but that they exhibit no obstacles to future episodes being outstanding. The potential is there.

Also, the use of inverse gradient bars was so 90's.
Oh yes. That there hasn't been much that is particularly remarkable so far doesn't worry me much. I will admit that it being Toei is making me somewhat sceptical given their record of ruining promising looking things.
It does look promising for sure though. More so than Smile did at this point.

Me > You

cajunator

Banned
I'd highly recommend reading the manga. The animation isn't out of this world for the anime, and the voice acting is ok but everything else has been pretty lackluster. The anime also ends in like 2-3 episodes so you won't get all that Uka-lovin

Uka chaka uka chaka uka uka uka chaka

I CAN'T STOP THIS FEELIN

I much prefer the B.J. Thomas original song but this ones more relevant to Uka lol.

I understand it's a favorite here, yes. But maybe I need to take into consideration that not everybody is as easy going about anime discussions and really get into it to the point of insults being thrown left and right. I tend to joke around when it comes to insulting, but I have seen folk getting insulted, so wouldn't surprise me Hyouka had that reaction

Normally its not a problem. But I just wish people would get more upset over some other show more worthy of it.

Inari is super-adorable and I can feel nothing but pity for those who don't appreciate her.

Inari is amazing omg.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh yes. That there hasn't been much that is particularly remarkable so far doesn't worry me much. I will admit that it being Toei is making me somewhat sceptical given their record of ruining promising looking things.
It does look promising for sure though. More so than Smile did at this point.
As I explained in a post earlier, I find it more promising than any Precure yet.

But it's one thing to promise, and another to deliver!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom