• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Chu2Koi The Movie

The wedding sequence at the beginning was pretty amazing. I have, on some level, always found the fantasy world that the heroines come up with in here to be "cool", on some level. Even if it's playing around, the earnestness of their imagination is fun to swatch, and I respect it on some level, because I was like that. Seeing the Dark Flame Dragon manifest was mostly KyoAni showing off.

The last 10 minutes did explain how the second season got to be the way it is, and included a cameo from my favorite Satone. Not a whole lot that wasn't already alluded to in there, but it makes things a little clearer. The dream sequence alone makes it worth it. Otherwise, my thoughts on the movie would be the same as the series - though the montage and the part where Rikka fast forwards through the Isshiki episode because she doesn't care about it did get a small laugh.

So both this and the HanaIro movie had scenes explaining the heroine's name. "Rikka" meaning snow suddenly answers that about Cure Diamond. I really should've caught onto that by now.

The Lite short was also amusing, featuring the Dark Flame Master. Kuzuha's onto his tricks. Oh, and the new ED theme for the movie (also the one for S2) for Lite is adorable. Rikka de Carnival!

CorvoSol

I'd just like to go on record as saying JoJo's baseball cap and pink vest combo is fab, but Zeppeli's checkered top hat is where the real magic is.

jbug617

Banned
Guys guess what got licensed for NA.

1962456_801810699848026_2095998839_o.jpg
Coming out in June.

(credit to WTK twitter)

CorvoSol

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 5
Is it stating the obvious if I say that parts of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are wildly homoerotic? Like the entire character of Speedwagon? I mean, the great thing about Speedwagon is that he very much so fits the sidekick roll that a lot of Western European literature of this era/setting would have. Like, maybe less Watson but a dude like him would fit right in in The Count of Monte Cristo.

Theonik

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 5
Is it stating the obvious if I say that parts of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are wildly homoerotic? Like the entire character of Speedwagon? I mean, the great thing about Speedwagon is that he very much so fits the sidekick roll that a lot of Western European literature of this era/setting would have. Like, maybe less Watson but a dude like him would fit right in in The Count of Monte Cristo.
EVEN SPEEDWAGON IS AFRAID.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha - 06

Holy shit she actually said it! And good job on you Maru
for supporting her!
Really enjoyable episode with Uka-sama's "life" being the cherry on top. Unf unf!

Theonik

for supporting her!
Really enjoyable episode with Uka-sama's "life" being the cherry on top. Unf unf!
I knew you'd approve. Maru is a true brosister
She likes the yuri!

TBH I'm also feeling should be more selective in watching manga adaptation.

I'm enjoying Inari and Noragami, but the short length make me feel shouldn't watch it at all and just checking the source material (or not at all) from the first place instead following the anime that just stopped in weird place before getting the juicy part of stories and then have no hope of sequel because not getting success that producer want :(

Feel like at least I should confident the manga have structure that ensure the anime adaptation stopping at proper place like Yozakura Quarter and Witchcraft Works, both title always having short arc after short arc that making it easy to adapt as anime.

As to some of your specific examples, Noragami has the anime-original character whose purpose for existing should be to be able to bring the anime to some kind of concluding note at the end of 12 episodes. (Plus the anime has caused a boost to manga sales - 80k to 120k - so a second season may actually be possible down the line.) Meanwhile Yozakura Quartet, despite ending with a story arc, felt rather unbalanced structurally since the Hana no Uta arc was relatively weak compared to what came before, plus unavoidably leaving the larger plot dangling, so I can't say that had a satisfactory ending.

In general, I would certainly prefer that anime adaptations all had a satisfyingly conclusive conclusion, but realistically that's difficult to come by when you're adapting an ongoing work, as most manga adaptations are. You can take the approach of coming up with anime-original material, finding a stopping point in the manga material, or just stopping randomly, but none of those are going to guarantee that the ending will actually feel solid. If the anime is otherwise well-made, I'm not going to consider it not worth watching if the ending happens to be incomplete. Otherwise I would have missed out on Flowers of Evil, which would have been unfortunate.

Saint Seiya Omega 92
tumblr_n1mwe62GPP1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_n1mwe62GPP1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Amazing episode with Titan hi-ougi and Seiya's. Their conversation was a bit funny too considering the similarities.

But the best part of the episode was two of the plot points I wanted to happen to finally occur. Great way to send this anime out on a fantastic final few episodes.
That is Europa potentially actually being the final boss revealing that he wasnt just a simple lvl 2 Pallasite but much much more, his true form is epic, and then Subaru finally gaining access to god like abilities!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha - 07

Angry Sumizome is best Sumizome. I wish she could use that attitude on Inari and tell her that its okay to be selfish at times, because that girl's selflessness
was digging her grave this episode.

CorvoSol

The War in the Pocket 4-6

It's amazing that, for all the terrible violence and ludicrous deaths that the Gundam Franchise has, it's War in the Pocket, not Zeta or Victory or any other, that drives home the meaninglessness and pain of war. The last three episodes of War in the Pocket are just one long, hard punch in the gut. I hate the Zeon, and even in this it's not hard to see that most of them are brutish, arrogant, racist scum unfit to govern anyone, but War in the Pocket is the only time after the end of the original MSG that I've ever felt any of them were sympathetic, and how.

YOU DESERVED BETTER, BERNIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's also worth saying that War in the Pocket does the whole "star crossed lovers" bit WAY better than The 08th MS Team.

Syrinx

Magic Knight Reyearth 1

Damn, Master Mage Clef turned to stone already? So the three of them are already pretty much on their own except for the flying bird they're on. That's gonna be a pretty interesting angle if they go for it, having to mostly figure things out for themselves. Hikaru at least is off to a pretty good start.

Sometimes it feels like characters don't have a proper appreciation for what's going on. Then again, in a span of five minutes they were on Tokyo Tower, then on the back of a flying fish (he was cool I hope he comes back), and then are told they must become magic knights and they can't go home until they've finished their mission. That's another thing; they're in unfamiliar territory instead of on home turf. I'm not a mahou shoujo guru like Hito or apprentice like Kirby, but this isn't something I've seen that often. At least not from the very beginning and for the entire duration of their mission.

Well I certainly hope this show lives up to the hype. Lord knows Mars of Destruction didn't.
Mars of destruction wasn't that bad IMO
Melody isn't but there are just too many moments wher eyou'll wonder what the heck were the writter smoking ... for that it's worth watching ..

Phi Brain Season 3 Episode 21
tumblr_n1h6iucXgT1s25394o1_500.jpg

The coaster puzzle was amazing, when he dropped down and they showed the whole thing, it was incredible.

But cried so much after seeing it on Crunchyroll. Why they have to kill off Rook! He was the perfect character and has been with us so long, affecting Kaito in so many ways for character growth. This is supposed to be an education fun show not an intense grimdark anime. I miss vanilla Phi Brain. Ill just hope that it was somehow planned by Rook and something else happened. His nebulous lines and way of acting at times makes me want to believe.
What annoy me is the fact that they just showed a picture of him in the after credits ...
I want to believe that it was "just as planned" but one thing for sure ... if this wasn't planned ( by rook ) , kaito better do what's necessary when he will
gain the hability to change past events
Spoilered but we know it's going to happen.

Burn , burn evil creature !

for supporting her!

Do you know what's better , she said it and she doesn't even know what yuri is ! She is pure , a pure maiden in love.
Bonus points awarded !

Articalys

Also, something interesting I should have noticed earlier but only just now saw via umx:

https://twitter.com/ultimatemegax/status/438811682983645185

Two of Sentai's just solicited releases, Maoyuu and Henneko, seem to be a test run for a new disc policy: instead of 3 discs on DVD and 2 on BD for your average one-cour release, they'll be 2 discs on DVD and only a single BD disc. Sentai doesn't exactly have the best history of BD-authoring, so we'll have to see how this turns out. Just something to keep in mind if you're preordering either of those shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom