• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Wake Up, Girls! 08

Holding I-1 as the standard to aspire to is a double-edged sword. It's like trying to make an AAA game with you and your circle of friends. It'd bring acclaim, but it's also way beyond your capabilities. Aim high, but aim in a way that plays to your strengths. Though neither Hayasaka nor Mayushi are making this any easier. The rewards for the Idol Festival do seem pretty sweet, though.

God damn, they're releasing Phi Brain S3 as a single massive 50,000 yen BD-box (or 35,000 yen DVD-box) (as opposed to singles for S1 and a pair of boxes for S2). Guess they figured that there's such a ridiculously low number of people buying the series in the first place that they might as well go all in.

Just need sentai to announce its coming here. I wonder if they will give an s4, feels like s2 wasnt revealed until a few episodes before premiering?

So, what is the spring series that's going to save anime?

I think its a toss up between Mekaku City Actors and Haikyuu!!. Shaft will finally have an actually good anime and the source material and music of Haikyuu!! will be hard for anything to rival all year.

Would say Mahouka, but the school outfits are just too stylish and functional for anime fans that most are turned off before a gram of an episode has even aired for some weird reason.

Theonik

Paging Hitokage.
Thread spoiler.

its a fact, and i think the author knows a little bit more about vampires than you

since he is one
ibcjXPrC233Psj.jpg

fertygo

Um. Like is there a mythological basis for this or does it fit the same category as JoJo wearing a backwards baseball cap about 100 years before that was a thing?

Lol, its supposed being an sound effect in comic.. and you know, its just big text over the screen. And its ended up being super iconic and of course the anime must try to live up that voice effect.

And Araki gave no fuck about authenticity.

So guys, just a thought here, so bear with me: I was wondering if the reason so many of us don't find Ryuko appealing is because we fall outside of the target age group? Cuz I just rewatched Orphen and man, that show's protagonist is an annoying brat, but when I was 15 I loved him. So I wonder if I would find Satsuki less appealing and Ryuko more appealing if I was 15? Just spitballing here.

It also doesn't help that animeGAF tends to have hivemind/bandwagon. I mean Beyond the Boundary seems to have been popular enough in other anime communities.

As to your question, it'd make complete sense. Rebellious teenagers could definitely see the appeal. A bit of rebellion and cynicism mixed in. I'm more into the serious brooding badass, not the screaming at the screen type. But I also really like the clown badass, such as Nathan Drake or Aang from Avatar.

Thread spoiler.

http://i.minus.com/ibcjXPrC233Psj.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

So he has joined the likes of Keanu Reeves, Nicholas Cage and Morgan Freeman on reaching max level.

CorvoSol

As to your question, it'd make complete sense. Rebellious teenagers could definitely see the appeal. A bit of rebellion and cynicism mixed in. I'm more into the serious brooding badass, not the screaming at the screen type. But I also really like the clown badass, such as Nathan Drake or Aang from Avatar.

I think I would've found her appealing because as a teenager that whole "rage against the machine, Satsuki looks down on us, shut up all of you I'mma wreck shit my way cuz that's how I do" attitude would've been my cup of tea.

As a grown up, though, Ryuko comes off as bratty, unnecessarily melodramatic, and a bit of a chump compared to Satsuki, who, among other things, is at least very patient.

Midonin

Strike the Blood 20

And so we go into what I think is the last arc of the series. Some of the plotlines from the Kanon arc being followed up on are nice, a change of pace from the marathon we just went through. So it's alchemists now, is it. And seeing Yukina and Kojo being awkward around each other, with some nudging from the Lion King group, was cute.
Asagi, no! I'm sure she'll be alright, but... damn. That was a pretty big cut.

CorvoSol

Star Driver 23

WAKO WAKO WAKO WAKO WAKO WAKO WAKO WAKO WAKO WAKO WAKO

I SENSE AN EVIL LIBIDO IN THIS PAINTING

AnimeGAF, I'm gonna say something that you will probably castrate me for. It'll be an unpopular opinion, but I feel I need to get it out there.

I just finished watching Usagi Drop. Fantastic show. Heartwarming. Sweet. Likeable characters. Really enjoyed it.

But I thought Listen to Me, Girls, I'm Your Father! was better.

For whatever reason, Usagi never really brought the feels like I was expecting. I never really felt Daikichi was "overwhelmed" but what he was doing. For a single 30 year old male who just had a 6 year old girl drop in his life he seemed to manage it pretty well. Rin seemed to manage it pretty well too. The story never really got "hard hitting" at any point and felt like there were a lot of loose ends.

And speaking of those loose ends, I did go to Wikipedia and read the synopsis of what happens later in the manga, and holy shit why would you do that? Like, seriously?

cajunator

Banned
AnimeGAF, I'm gonna say something that you will probably castrate me for. It'll be an unpopular opinion, but I feel I need to get it out there.

I just finished watching Usagi Drop. Fantastic show. Heartwarming. Sweet. Likeable characters. Really enjoyed it.

For whatever reason, Usagi never really brought the feels like I was expecting. I never really felt Daikichi was "overwhelmed" but what he was doing. For a single 30 year old male who just had a 6 year old girl drop in his life he seemed to manage it pretty well. Rin seemed to manage it pretty well too. The story never really got "hard hitting" at any point and felt like there were a lot of loose ends.

And speaking of those loose ends, I did go to Wikipedia and read the synopsis of what happens later in the manga, and holy shit why would you do that? Like, seriously?

Papa kiki is not a bad show. Its pretty cute and heartwarming too.
I think that Rin is just such a little sweetheart that everyone is in love with her. How could you not?

Going off the original source materials, the Usagi Drop manga was targeted towards older females while the Listen to Me, Girls, I'm Your Father! LN was targeted towards young teenage males. Not everyone is going to agree with the original or the adaptations being the best, so read or watch what you prefer.

Listen to me Girls started out very strong. And if it had kept that steam it would have been amazing. But after the initial drama of a college student having to take care of three younger girls, the show slowly transforms into a semi-love triangle of "I'm living with three little girls! Hijinks ensue!"

It basically decided to take away the drama that made it stand out and slowly transformed itself into a forgettable second half. Usagi Drop (the anime original), doesn't really show the guy struggling because he was already a working member of society (and a semi succesful one at that), so the drama of having a girl dropped unto you isn't going to be the same as that of a college student barely making ends meet. Usagi Drop was only meant to show you what somebody in that situation could realistically go through, both in terms of adapting and the relationship that grows between you and your 'daughter'. Then the manga was all "NOPE PSYCHE BITCHES YOU THOUGHT THIS WAS SWEET LAWL" so we burned down the manga and never spoke of it again. Listen to Me Girls could've gone places, but the introduction of the college friends (one who is typical fat-voice otaku loli lover), and the romantic feelings between the little girls and a significant college student kind of ruined it because I know a sweaty over-weight loli lover was all "YEEEEEEEEEEEEES. LOVE SENPAI. LOVE HIM"

Everyone has preferences but it's an arguement i can understand

Listen to me Girls started out very strong. And if it had kept that steam it would have been amazing. But after the initial drama of a college student having to take care of three younger girls, the show slowly transforms into a semi-love triangle of "I'm living with three little girls! Hijinks ensue!"

It basically decided to take away the drama that made it stand out and slowly transformed itself into a forgettable second half. Usagi Drop (the anime original), doesn't really show the guy struggling because he was already a working member of society (and a semi succesful one at that), so the drama of having a girl dropped unto you isn't going to be the same as that of a college student barely making ends meet. Usagi Drop was only meant to show you what somebody in that situation could realistically go through, both in terms of adapting and the relationship that grows between you and your 'daughter'. Then the manga was all "NOPE PSYCHE BITCHES YOU THOUGHT THIS WAS SWEET LAWL" so we burned down the manga and never spoke of it again. Listen to Me Girls could've gone places, but the introduction of the college friends (one who is typical fat-voice otaku loli lover), and the romantic feelings between the little girls and a significant college student kind of ruined it because I know a sweaty over-weight loli lover was all "YEEEEEEEEEEEEES. LOVE SENPAI. LOVE HIM"

I will certainly agree that the fat otaku guy could have been taken out of the show and it would have been better for it.

cnet128

Banned

I can accept this as an opinion. I don't agree with it, but it doesn't seem too out there. I liked PapaKiki a lot too. It's just that Rin is better. <3

Mononoke

Banned
Posted this in the other thread. But I just got back from seeing The Wind Rises.

I absolutely loved this film. I thought it was a masterpiece. I'm actually really really perplexed by those that didn't like this movie. I've read so many mixed reviews on this one, and I don't get it. Ultimately, I walked away from this film seeing it as a meta commentary on Miyzaki's own career as an artist.
This idea that, humanity's dreams are always ruined by humanity corruption of the dream. That no matter what you do or try, humanity will ruin what is in your heart. But the curse is that because it's in your heart, you will be driven to fulfill that dream (even if someone will ultimately go and destroy it).

I thought it was such a beautiful commentary on his career. Yeah there was deeper commentary than that, but ultimately it's what I walked away from the film feeling. As far as the story itself went, I never felt bored. There were a couple sections that started to feel slow, but nothing ever felt wasted. I didn't even think it felt like a 2 hour film.

As a big fan of Miyazaki/Ghibli, I think this was a masterful swan song. I'm not sure how I would rank it among his other work, but I thought it was easily one of his best films. I really do feel that. I feel kind of bad though, my theater was packed with kids and family. Like seriously, did you really think this movie was going to be aimed at kids?

Mr.Jeff

So what would be the ultimate AnimeGAF-hate anime?

Studio- White Fox
No-one mentions Beetrain? Speaking of which, I wonder where they've been recently.

Star Driver 23

I SENSE AN EVIL LIBIDO IN THIS PAINTING

PArt of this post reminds me of Pac-man and the other part reminds me of Fozzie bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom