• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wind Rises
Even after reading Zeroshiki's impressions, I was still surprised at how cold and distant this film feels on the whole compared to Miyazaki's prior work. That's not to say there aren't any fantastical sequences or romance in this, but the intent seems to have been to walk a fine line between the fantastical dream world in Jiro's head and the slow building disillusionment in his beloved craft. It's a line that, for a good while, I wasn't able to embrace. But once Jiro travels to a specific location,
Germany, and sees the sleek and ominous German-made plane
Miyazaki's intent became way more clear to me in a way that I could get behind.

The script was also interesting to me as Miyazaki has loved to indulge in his pro nature views in the past, yet here he takes a step back from that to refocus on a more cynical view of japanese ideals and culture. While not overbearing or heavy handed to me, it created something of an interesting dynamic with Jiro's friendship with Hanjo, Japan's setbacks when sticking with tradition amidst a war, and Jiro's rather impersonal personality for most of the film. It's never the main focus as Jiro's story of chasing his dream and coming to terms with how life combats that is always front and center, but it definitely felt integral throughout Jiro's story. And if anything, I see Jiro as the embodiment of Japanese ideals and culture: disciplined, hard working, selfless, and stubbornly traditional in an almost ignorance is bliss kind of way.

I also really loved how beautifully minimalistic his romance is with Nahoko. It's almost too abrupt getting into it, yet it created many truly genuine moments between them that I loved. For as detached as Jiro could get when not focusing on gazing at/designing planes, the relationship he had with her and its impact feels earned and showed the real heart of the film very well.

For me, this film managed to balance all of that while being, what I feel is, the most personal and complex Miyazaki film to date. It's also really really gorgeous, and I loved that I got the chance to see it in a theater. I'd say everyone should make it a point to see this asap.

Articalys

So how is the Wind Rises dub anyway? Did they switch the ending song like I remember happened with Arrietty (causing someone here immense pain in the process)?

So how is the Wind Rises dub anyway? Did they switch the ending song like I remember happened with Arrietty (causing someone here immense pain in the process)?

The dub was fine. JGL's inflection fits the character's personality well. Emily Blunt is super lovely as Nahoko (reminded me of Susan Egan as Porco's love interest in Porco Rosso). Werner Herzog is delightfully goofy as is his character. The only one I didn't really care for was John Krasinski as Hanjo. He sounded pretty flat, which didn't really surprise me.

The ending song in the dub was the Japanese one. It's great.

suOxipQ.jpg

everytime somebody says something involving lolis

The dub was fine. JGL's inflection fits the character's personality well. Emily Blunt is super lovely as Nahoko (reminded me of Susan Egan as Porco's love interest in Porco Rosso). Werner Herzog is delightfully goofy as is his character. The only one I didn't really care for was John Krasinski as Hanjo. He sounded pretty flat, which didn't really surprise me.

Hm... Did they keep the human voice sound effects?

And yeah, the ending song is really great.

Articalys

Sounds good. I'll have to see what the showtimes are at some of the theaters in my area and try to catch one soon.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Today I learned something new about Woofy

GOD. DAMMIT.

Also I did that site.

Woofington will die after his sister runs him over with a pinky

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Even in the context of anime. Whoever made this website should know it's bad and they should feel bad.

in fact this website is more accurate to anime

"A pretty but outcast middle school girl slowly realizes the truth about the way society is run and fights to find a suitable heir for the dying ruler of a country, but must kill a loved one to do so. "

Theonik

http://en.shindanmaker.com/429954

Dang I'm not even mad, I just want to see how that's possible.

Hopefully it will at least be slapkuga.
Theonik will die after his mentor burns him with a cat.
SONO BAKANA
theonik will die after the villain runs him over with a pinky.
NOOOOOOO

You can cut things with a sledgehammer?
Yes.

Whaaat you're just starting this now?! Looking forward to your impressions. :)
Well I've tried to see episode one several times and seen the Yakuza part of episode 26 30-40 times. But other than that yes! Makoto is already killing me so my chances for survival are pretty narrow right now.

This sounds somewhat implausible.
Catbus

Articalys

Articalys will die after his father stabs him with a mech.
Now, are we talking about just a part of the mech, like a blade arm, or the whole mech? Because if it's the latter that would be pretty awesome, death notwithstanding.

cnet128

Banned
Asami Shimoda is cool because she voices two Rins.

Oh yeah, I knew I was missing someone important.

Someone who is standing in front of me on my desk at work all day, every day, to be precise >.>

Seriously, is the name Rin magic or something? How can it describe so many wonderful things at once?

EDIT: lol, I didn't even intend to Rin-ify the top of another page XD

DOUBLE EDIT: Wait, where the fuck did my other Rin post go?! THIS IS GROSS INJUSTICE

cajunator

Banned
Oh yeah, I knew I was missing someone important.

Someone who is standing in front of me on my desk at work all day, every day, to be precise >.>

Seriously, is the name Rin magic or something? How can it describe so many wonderful things at once?

DOUBLE EDIT: Wait, where the fuck did my other Rin post go?! THIS IS GROSS INJUSTICE

I was wondering when you would bring that Rin up.

See I wasn't kidding when I said Cure Rouge was the least popular Precure! So unpopular she gets posts deleted!

9Eyg93K.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What in the blazes!? Theonik has never seen the iDOLM@STER!? As for your question on whether it is the best idol show, well I'd certainly say it is up there as one of the best, but one thing I can say for certain is that it is the best show based off of a videogame. Honestly, I don't think it gets enough props for actually being a decent videogame adaption.

cnet128

Banned
See I wasn't kidding when I said Cure Rouge was the least popular Precure! So unpopular she gets posts deleted!

9Eyg93K.jpg

Seriously, this is really bugging me now. There was nothing wrong with that post, why did it silently disappear. All the discussion that followed on that page is now weird and out of context.

The only feasible reason that occurs to me is if some oversensitive person decided that the word "lolilicious" was somehow too risqué to be allowed, but that can't be the issue since the posts specifically discussing that word have been left there right at the top of the page (along with the posts about Kotaku and CNN which, while I don't have any problems with them personally, I would also consider significantly more offensive than anything that was in the deleted posts).

So what's the deal. Does someone just hate nice things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom