• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think Ikuhara and Enokido both get a little too crazy when they don't have each other to hold the other down. I still love Penguindrum and Star Driver though. I think it's really funny though how a lot of the things from Utena make their way into their individual works though.

That said, I am really excited for Captain Earth.

I started watching the second season of Legend of the Galactic Heroes recently.
If only Kircheis was here. ;____;

Thoraxes

star driver > Penguin drum

image.php

cajunator

Banned
Kino no Tabi 8

Dreams can come true! =D

So good. So hnnngh. Her dream came true. *squees

Kino's Journey 9

Wow. There is a lot in this episode. I'm almost afraid to actually make a comment, though, because that criticism of "Critics" sitting in a circle tearing apart the works of others and ruining the fun of others was something beyond merely scathing. Truly the sickest of burns, coupled immediately afterward with the fact that you cannot hoard fun to yourself.

A buttload of existentialism, too, and all kinds of stuff I've just completely been able to really soak in all at once.

Kino's Journey is the kind of anime that makes you sit down and think about it, y'know?

nice to see you genuinely enjoying anime again.

MRGRGRGR

Your favorite anime is shit?

my favorite show has never been labelled shit by anyone to my knowledge.

THE iDOLM@STER 03

Well it's a start. Plenty of Makoto this episode pleased me.
Preview tells me the next episode will be Chihaya and Takane focused so I look forward to that. This one built some solid Yukiho x Makoto though.

Another episode later on will make you super squee.

Gazoinks

Gintama 58 - 61: Soul Edge Benizakura Arc

So I've heard people hyping up Gintama's serious arcs a lot, but this still ended up being more awesome than I expected it to be! Good action, serious bits, feels, still a bit of comedy, cool character development, and everyone getting a chance to be a badass. Even Elizabeth!

Takasugi is a cool reoccuring villain. I liked how the last episode focused a lot on the differences in philosophy between Zura, Gin, and Takasugi. "I tossed it when I spilled ramen on it"

Will have to check out the movie sometime.

Thoraxes

Hey now, Galactic Bishounens are pretty high up on the fabulosity scale
But none of them had this fabulous hair:

yfTI4OZ.png

Didn't care for Ringo at all
tsk tsk

Star Driver underused it's best girl: Benio.

You know the discussion we had earlier about KLK's music? Ikuhara is one of those directors who knows how to get what he wants from a composer, and he knows how to use it in the show.

Very true. A lot of times people place the blame on the composers, who really have nothing to do with how their music is ultimately used in the show. Good sound directors or people who know how to do good sound direction seem hard to come by. Or maybe I just watch the wrong shows too much.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's not like composers go to the mountain then come back down with the finished product. They take suggestions and feedback, and then you have the selection of pieces to actually be used in the show.

Jarmel

Banned
It's not like composers go to the mountain then come back down with the finished product. They take suggestions and feedback, and then you have the selection of pieces to actually be used in the show.

Well considering how similar Shingeki and KLK are in areas, I'm not so sure about that.

Thoraxes

Oh, i'm quite aware of how it works. It's hard to describe the particulars, but i've experienced a lot of this doing music scores for friends in film and game development schools, as well as their portfolios.

Each group of people you work with is different in how they work, and a lot of times you DEFINITELY will get the example like your first statement, where there's little communication. Usually that ends up with commission work more than by committee though in my experience.

duckroll

You know the discussion we had earlier about KLK's music? Ikuhara is one of those directors who knows how to get what he wants from a composer, and he knows how to use it in the show.

Ikuhara knows enough about music to never work with Sawano. That's why his shows have good music!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well considering how similar Shingeki and KLK are in areas, I'm not so sure about that.
Some don't care or don't have time to care!

Anyway, speaking of sound direction, there's an audio drama version of the Sailor Moon R movie and it's pretty much just the audio track with only the occasional voiceover to clarify. They then tried to do the same for the S movie, but it didn't turn out so well and they didn't try again afterward.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Each group of people you work with is different in how they work, and a lot of times you DEFINITELY will get the example like your first statement, where there's little communication. Usually that ends up with commission work more than by committee though in my experience.
Oh sure, but my point was that composers aren't unreachable even if many don't keep tabs on it.

Branduil

Space Dandy 9

ibvdonQIyau3pF.jpg
ibvLOG1sXCBAro.jpg

ijXg6FlO2Jqiy.jpg
iH2iWiJan1Ldj.jpg

The background art was certainly stunning this week.

I liked this episode, especially the dream-quest atmosphere and structure it had; it gave it a kind of strange, mythic feeling. Great ending too. All of the weird designs, odd music, and Yuasa-esque animations worked together to sell the idea of this bizarre and unnatural alien planet; I'd go so far as to say it's the most "alien" world they've visited so far.

Meow is worthless as usual, LOL.

Madoka magika 1-2 movies

Cheeks_touchingv2.gif

So i'm betting pretty much every scene was redone for this? Anyhow still have all the feels from watching the show, still think the ending was kinda... bullshit?

Was a bit surprised the 2 movies summed up the show... so the 3rd movie is something new?

Wizard Bartenders 7

This is getting boring.

Magical Warstuff 8

It seems like nearly all the magic-related shows are blending together with the exception of Wizard Bar Exam because of the hentai art style. The plot points of this and Strike the Blood are just a jumbled mess in my mind right now since both are pretty generic Light Novel stuff. It sucks too, because while derivative, I actually thought this had potential based on the first episode.

Shergal

Zvezda 8
Proof that the most important thing for action sequences is by far the storyboarding. I wouldn't even say the action animation was very 'sakuga', but it was still impressive and full of impact thanks to Andopower.
Oh, also this is really good. Looking forward to the next episode. At some points I do feel like it'll need more than 1-cour to be satisfactory by the end, but we'll see.

Dandy 9
The token 'drugs' episode! Oh wait, we still have the Yuasa one coming.
I very much liked it, although I'm not sure about some of the editing choices. It was hard to follow some parts and situate the characters spatially and temporally in the scenes because the cutting could get pretty scatterbrained. Reminded me of From the New World 5 in that sense. Now, on all other fronts this was a very solid, very unique episode. For once it feels like the weekly director actually went all-out with the indulgence they're allowed, and this is something I was wanting to see from the show. We didn't really get it with the Mihara ep, but we do get it here.
Kevin Aymeric is insanely talented.

CorvoSol

Star Driver Mizuno arc was legit great.

Probably the high point of the show, I think.

I went to the Mountain and all I got was dysentery from unwashed, shitcoated vegetables.

fertygo

Like I said there's nothing wrong with Star Driver if you're fine with MOTW format like in GaoGaiGar, Getter/Mazinger and countless kiddie mecha show.

People that dislike it like Jex also bashing GGG iirc, so there's that.
Speaking of composers, is Iwasaki working on JoJo?

I want confirmation for this badly..
The music in both trailer sound very similar to his style.

Branduil

Imaishi and Araki are both directors who favor bombastic sounds though, so it's not surprising they'd end up with similar soundtracks while using the same composer.

Yoko Kanno said something about Tomino not giving her much feedback for Brain Powerd, so she kind of ended up doing her own thing. Consequently, the soundtrack doesn't really match the show, but that's not a bad thing, since the music is interesting, beautiful and complex while the show is like Evangelion written in crayon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom