• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

I'm okay with this. I liked the Wind Rises(posting my impressions soon), but I think Frozen was a better movie.

I haven't watched Wind Rises yet, but thinking Frozen is very bleh.. I said it again, movie should just end after Elsa's "Let it go" sequence. Or if just Disney have balls to had the story resolving around that resolution.

Gravity should just win this category
too

madp

The Light of El Cantare
2D animation as a legitimately recognized medium is officially dead, and weeaboos are the only ones who still care about it. RIP

Kamen Rider V3 5

Look at those muscles swoon~

Despite paying attention, him getting shot was a bit of a surprise, probably because HEY kids are watching! Nevermind killing off a dude's family and someone else in the first two episodes.... ON SCREEN

CorvoSol

Yeah, shitty theatriacl poster and all the net hype put me off Frozen for the longest while. Ended up going to see it since I'm on a movie kick lately and was surprised it was mostly warranted. Pixar's just disappointing anymore. the king is dead long live the king

It was a fun movie but I dunno, Frozen really let me down. I really hated how rushed basically everything felt after Anna and Elsa's duet.

Gazoinks

It was a fun movie but I dunno, Frozen really let me down. I really hated how rushed basically everything felt after Anna and Elsa's duet.

It was good, but I definitely seem to like it considerably less than most people on GAF and the internet in general. Felt that way about Tangled too, actually.

Jarmel

Banned
Frozen is a decent movie that is letdown by the musical pieces (the only one being semi-decent is Let It go), poor structural writing, and unnecessary subplot threads.

People play it up like it's the second coming of Renaissance Disney. As if Tangled didn't exist.

It was good, but I definitely seem to like it considerably less than most people on GAF and the internet in general. Felt that way about Tangled too, actually.

I mean I'm not going to go ahead and say these movies are classic material like older Pixar or Disney films are. But they're definitely enjoyable. The biggest praise probably comes, and I hate to repeat myself, from them being able to do something really good unlike Pixar who has been stale recently.

Tangled and Frozen suffered from being another run-of-the-mill princess meets handsome guy with some adventure. Which are enjoyable, but these lacked the personality that made the previous ones classics. I hope the studio doesn't settle for these films and instead goes for other topics. Wreck It Ralph was enjoyable but they decided to stick with the candy land story aspect for the sake of (what I presume) attracting younger and female audiences.

CorvoSol

I think Tangled might be the reason I felt Frozen wasn't good enough? I dunno.

I thought you praise it back then, yeah the 2nd half is bummer for me.. just really awkward.

The 2nd half is just kind of full of a lot of problems I don't quite get why the movie has.
I mean, first off, that troll song is HORRIBLE. It flies completely in the face of the entire film's message to that point. "Hey, we're going to force you to marry this guy even though the whole movie we've been telling you that marrying someone you just met is a BAD IDEA." And then they go and make the prince dude the villain and what a cardboard last second cop out villain he is! It would've worked so much better if he'd just not been her true love instead of "he isn't her true love because he's EEEEEVIL." and what happened to "throw a little love their way and you'll bring out their best?" I mean, sure didn't work for that guy, did it? Nevermind the fact that the trolls ripped out Anna's memories and her father emotionally imprisoned Elsa for years and there is no significant closure to either of these points AT ALL.

I liked it, but I dunno. It could've used some more polish.

Guys, Let It Go.

So relevant!

fertygo

Talking about Frozen, I'm really surprised not seeing Owen Wilson on the credit after finishing the movie .. not like I remember how he sounds, but sure you guys know what I mean lol

Quasar

2D animation as a legitimately recognized medium is officially dead, and weeaboos are the only ones who still care about it. RIP

Guess I'm a weaboo then. Which explains why I guess the only animated Disney film I've seen in recent memory in cinemas was in indeed Princess and the Frog. And that was only to support its 2Dness.

Not that I believe your weaboo assertion. I think there lots of older western animation fans who dislike the CG animation stuff Disney has been doing lately.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know there are people in the thread who think it's the best Disney film. But these are people who have watched both it and Tangled dozens of times.

Crocodile

Frozen is good because it has good characters (and it should be super obvious why a lot of people like the lead heroines) and great 3D animation. The story isn't its strong point but it's not the reason people like the film anyway so its kind of moot.

Is Frozen better than Lion King?

Hell no. Lion King is my second favourite Disney movie. With the first being the Jungle Book. Bear Necessities ya'll!

The Wind Rises
windjpg-e962f3.jpg
So this was the second Miyazaki film that I watched, with the first being Spirited Away. Was it good? Yes. Did I have any problems with it? Weeeeell....just one small one.

The first half of this movie was filled with imagination and wonder, and pretty much everything that Miyazaki is known for. I really enjoyed how they interpreted real-world major historical events into the main character's journey. I got some major Ratatouille vibes from the dream sequences. I liked how they used Caproni as a figment of Jiro's imagination who encouraged him to follow his dream, despite the inevitable downsides that he would come across. The dream sequences by far were the best parts of this movie. They were breathtaking to watch and the animation was absolutely gorgeous for those moments.

Now the second half of this movie, is where I’m kind of slightly indifferent about. See, the first half involved just a man and his dream to build airplanes. The second half is where things go full romance and the dream scenario gets kind of put to the side a bit. I know Miyazaki was trying to tell a more adult story with this one (at least that’s what I heard), but I feel like the romantic parts dragged on just a little bit too much. The focus became more on the Jiro’s relationship with Naoko and the film ended up having to balance his love for his beloved along with his love for his dream. Don’t get me wrong, the romance wasn’t bad by any means, and it didn’t feel forced at all. I just wish we had a little bit more of what was in the first half of the movie in the second.

You know what? I think the tiny problem I have with this movie is the same problem some people have with Pixar’s WALL-E. People really enjoyed the first half of that movie which had little to no dialogue and just involved a romance between two robots on a desolated Earth. Some people just wanted more of that while the film inserted all this other drama in the second half with the
rouge auto pilot, the fat humans, and everything else.
That’s how I feel about the Wind Rises. I liked the first half that was filled with wonder and imagination of one man and how he continued to move forward towards his goal, despite the many harsh realities he had to face along the way (an earthquake, the great depression, etc).

But with that being said, There’s a really good story about life that was told in this movie. I especially loved the last scene where
Jiro is walking in the same dream sequence from the beginning of the movie only there are a bunch of fallen airplanes, almost like it’s a graveyard. It created a very solemn atmosphere that symbolized the final point for all things in life. But then Caproni shows up and tells him that’s how airplanes work, that they are cursed dreams fated to end this way, and he should be happy that he had realized his childhood dream, with Naoko also appearing the dream telling him to live on. I thought that moment was a wonderful way to end the movie.

So all in all, I enjoyed this movie. I don’t get to watch anime on the big-screen too often, but this one was definitely a nice experience, even if the theater was almost empty. The Wind Rises earns an excellent 9/10 from me.

CorvoSol

Oscars just made a huge dent in my friendship group, causing someone to leave.

I wish that was an exaggeration.

One time I lost a best friend of mine because she turned into a complete sociopath who could not understand why we would be mad about her lying to us and treating us like we were possessions.

fertygo

Fantasia and Sleeping Beauty > Your favorite Disney animated movie.

Those people from the past is the best, they pouring their heart making something from hand drawing looked better than the past technology or current can offer.

Now people just use their computer :(

.... soooo not to derail the Frozen talk but....

THE HELL IS UP WITH ZETA GUNDAM!

Seriously, huge Gundam fan, finally watched all the episodes of the original after only seeing most but not all of it. Jump straight into Zeta for the second time, first time making it only to episode 12ish. Now I'm at 16 after waiting a few years between trying to watch it...

Is every character in this show a schizophrenic?! seriously, I know Kamille is f'd up and poorly written/thought out but fuck! Its so bad, I just... ugh. Bright acting like Kam did not steal the gundam/go on a crazy rampage the next time he sees him, Kamille talking to people normally, then he just snaps for literally no reason.

"Hey Kamille, how ya doing today? Oh I'm fine thanks. Want some Orange Juice? HOW DARE YOU, ADULTS ARE ALL THE SAME! BECAUSE -Insert something from 6 episodes prior but have no indication he even remembers it because 99% of the shit he freaks out about had him smiling and not careing literally 3 seconds after it happened-

I am just so dumbfounded how ridiculous this series is. And I know Destiny is just a remake of it and its characters so I know what to expect but fuck.

Crocodile

Just putting it out there that Olaf was the best character in Frozen.

No.

Those people from the past is the best, they pouring their heart making something from hand drawing looked better than the past technology or current can offer.

Now people just use their computer :(

I adore 2D animation as much as the next guy and Disney NEEDS to do more of it but please don't disrespect the hard work 3D animators do. The animation in Frozen was great! Give credit where credit is due.

One time I lost a best friend of mine because she turned into a complete sociopath who could not understand why we would be mad about her lying to us and treating us like we were possessions.

At least that was somewhat reasonable... to lose a best friend maybe.

Kingdom 2 Episode 27

Well the reunion happened rather fast, but things heating up at headquarters. ITs off to a great start. The wheel formation for this whole event was incredible though baffling if it is truly based on a real formation.

The Sketchbook providing ED3 is certainly welcome. They are easily starting to go from being the Sketdance group to the Kingdom group.

Just putting it out there that Olaf was the best character in Frozen.

I thought he was going to be the Jar Jar of Frozen, but I actually ended up liking him quite a lot. Especially his song.

edit: I notice this is going to become a "your favorite disney movie, when compared to mine, is shit. shiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit"

fertygo

No.

I adore 2D animation as much as the next guy and Disney NEEDS to do more of it but please don't disrespect the hard work 3D animators do. The animation in Frozen was great! Give credit where credit is due.

Ofcourse, I have some of my countrymen that working in WETA afterall.. they said something like multiple small group working on 2 minute sequence for 6 month.. that's crazy.

But having said that, time investment and cutting human resource is biggest reason for migration to 3D afterall.. so the effort for hand-drawn movie in disney scale is even crazier.. wooh.. RIP.

I was gonna watch Gundam X, but all this Disney talk has put me out of the mood for mecha warfare. I need to watch something more uplifting and fun now.

*que the onslaught of Casshern Sins recommendations*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom