• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait for science to fail and produce this
vTJ1yup.jpg

Theonik

Happiness Charge PreCure 05
This was a nice episode with lots of costume antics. Policehime was adorable. This show has been really promising for the past 5 episodes and while I don't want to jump as this IS Toei, I think I'll enjoy it throughout.
Also I noticed that Toei has been using this gag a lot in their recent anime. I wonder what staff connection makes it so.

She should be at least 18 so its not creepy
Assumption: Genetically engineered catgirls age like humans.

Soranowoto - 12 - Still did not care much for the show. Slow burn is an understatement, it took till the 12th episode for anything of note to happen. I just didn't get it. None of the characters are really properly explored. The conflict is never really explained. The Flame Maiden stuff seemed silly and contrived. There's a good show in there somewhere, but it only made an appearance in the last episode while the other 11 were filled with tropes and fan service.

Syrinx

Magic Knight Rayearth 8

Okay, I felt pretty bad for Hikaru there, having to kill that monster after she grew so attached to it as a cute little thing. She even made a fucking flower necklace for the thing.

So how long is Zagato going to give this kid before he gives him the axe like he did to Alcyone? Also, when the kid summons these monsters, how come the symbol for the summoning is the Star of David?

Wager Umi's going to get her sword upgrade next episode.

Aishiteruze Baby: Series Review

What a fantastic series. After seeing it mentioned when the discussion of alternatives to Usagi Drop occured, I remembered trying to watch it a while ago but I gave up because the really old school saturday-morning children cartoon vibe of the first episode turned me off, plus the eyes were a bit too moe. Even for moe. He should stick to tending a bar.

Story: The story is a neat one. A recent widow can't deal with taking care of her daughter for multiple reasons and leaves her on her sister's house. The family decides that the eldest male son, a womanizing laid back pretty-boy, should take care of her so he can become more responsible. 60% of the story is the relationship of these two as they become the closest family members they've ever had (not that Kippei's family is bad) and practically inseparable. The other 40% of the story is the love story between Kippei (the protag) and a kuudere girl from his class. We also get random tidbits of Yuzuyu in preschool in the stages of making friends, Kippei's life in school, and an arc involving another character here and there. But for the most part it revolves around the two big ones I mentioned. There was a surprising amount of drama for such a feel good show, more so than Usagi Drop since it practically dropped it after the first couple of episodes.

Art/Animation:
It's as shoujo as it gets. But the animation/artstyle leaves a LOT to hope for, especially for a show that came out in the 2000's. It's shoddy more times than it's decent, and many characters with straight her look like their hair has never moved. It's a very stiff amateurish artstyle imho. But really you wouldn't watch this for that.

Characters: They're all pretty great, and honestly as much as I complain about tropes there weren't that many characters that came from Anime 101. I mean there's one ojousama tsundere, but she's in preschool with Yuzuyu so it's funny to see a tiny tsundere. All main characters pretty much great. The Katakura family was great but extremely unrealistic (in a funny manner) over how easy they accepted people to live in their house. How the hell can the dad afford all those people in the house lol.The side characters, unless they starred in their own arc, were underdeveloped. In fact one of the side characters in the manga, who was featured very rarely, randomly got her own chapter like 2-3 chapters before it ended of her love story. That was unnecessary. Kippei and Yuzuyu are what the leads of Usagi Drop should've been. And are if you ignore the manga.

Over-all: I really liked this. There were some issues dealing with Yuzuyu:
- her character as a whole got a bit old after the halfway point, but I guess that's partially the reason the focus switched so much to the love story afterwards. She became kind of bratty during a couple of instances, especially one that halted more romance, so she got on my bad side for a bit, but she became better.

-Yuzuyu's VA must've been instructed to make the most high pitched little girl voice she could make, then scream during the recording sessions. Because while everybody else is an acceptable level (besides the preschool kids) her voice is WAY too loud. I understand many kids at that age still scream for the most part, but man it got annoying. Especially when she cried. I had to skip for a minute or so until it wasn't so loud.

By the end of the anime I checked out the manga to continue the story. It basically did one more major arc and a smaller one, but it nicely ended the show. Like I mentioned before the romance aspect caught me off guard as I wasn't expecting it, and once it started to take focus it easily became the best part of the show. I would look forward to those scenes more than the scenes with Yuzuyu and I kind of wish they would have expanded on it more. Not to say they didn't do a good job with it. The characters evolved a lot too which is all I ask for. I highly recommend giving the show a watch then continuing off with the manga. But if you HAD to choose one, then go with the manga as the anime had to end when the manga was 2/3's done (to be fair it isn't that many chapters compared to other shows) and the manga's ending is pretty diabeetus all the way around.

This show gets a 100/0

Pocket Monsters X/Y 18

zXpzN4El.jpg

Spoiled brat princess is an amusing character. I wouldn't mind if she become reoccurring chasing down the love of her life. Would be more interesting than Team Rocket on some days.

Oh, I guess the whole wake up Snorlax thing was as boring as how it was in the game.

Am I scum for wanting a new blu ray bundle for the entire kara no kyoukai series?

I'd buy it too. Considering the current price for the one I see in Amazon is like $500. I'm sure it's because it was limited or something but jeesh. They somehow beat Fate Zero.

Wait.. they're both Ufotable.

Note to self: Ufotable sells expensive blu-rays.

CorvoSol

Meduka Meguca and her Sports Loving Cat Rebolation 2

If Satan tells you he isn't a liar and he is totally doing the right thing, and you believe him, you're a fucking moron.

Link Man

Banned
Dusk Maiden 5

i1PeQPf6rhD4H.jpg

Kirie gets some character development this episode, and given her situation, I found it rather compelling. Also, the girl-love is pretty strong in this one.

CorvoSol

Are Senjougahara and Homura voiced by the same person or is it just all the same mannerisms that's making me subconsciously connect the two of them?

Articalys

Are Senjougahara and Homura voiced by the same person or is it just all the same mannerisms that's making me subconsciously connect the two of them?
Congratulations, you have awakened to the wonder of Chiwa Saito.

(edit: though the fact that both series are super-heavy on the SHAFT style also probably helps strengthen the similarities)

Nordicus

*browses Plan To Watch list*

Hmmmm... alright, RahXephon episode 1, let's start this fucker! He goes get help for his friends the moment he wakes up after the subway crash, has bit of a smart mouth and manages to shake off the shock he gets after fully realizing the city is a battlefield. Loses a few points by getting off track after finding a girl who very blatantly knows a lot more about what's going on than any regular school girl should.

"Oh, she jumped on the train where the blue-blooded government agents were going to forcefully take me. Guess I'll follow her and keep her safe. Herpaderp"

The first episode is a rather decent start. We spent few minutes in peaceful status quo before a full-on war breaks out and 2 different parties try to hunt down and recruit our protagonist Kamina. Not that Kamina, but this guy's no slouch either.

I heard this was a rather Evangelion-esque show, whether deliberate or not I don't really care, but already on the first episode I can see where the comments come from. You got a small bit of mindfuckery, invaders with sort of unnerving godlike design, and oddly enough, a 20-something black-haired female agent recruiting the main protagonist

The anime using both regular angel and Egyptian god motifs feels a rather strange mix at this point. The show also has its share of beautiful artsy shots, some more blatant and others

I kinda like this one because this shot stays for a mere second. The imagery gets more in your face in some of the other scenes
zUnVVF1.jpg

Edit: Episode 2

[mindrape intensifies]

Right in the first few minutes of this episode, the still sleepy RahXephon facemelts one of the giant flying torso monsters (and causes a lot of collateral damage), and fucks off after the rest of the enemy forces retreat.

Those big invaders and their giant flying battle fortress of doom are obviously bad news, but otherwise it's still kept ambiguous who Kamina can trust, with maybe the exception of the female agent.

At this point I'd really not trust his
blue-blooded
mother who seems to have
control of these monsters and might've raised Kamina for the sole reason of piloting RahXephon
, who on top of working very high up in the government, seems(?) to have helped spread the false info that America and UK and such no longer exist, and the world population is only 23 million instead of 6 billion.

Then there's the
not classmate Mishima
who rewrites memories like nobody's business

fOUZ3Sg.jpg

"The telephone number you have dialed is currently not in use. Please check the number and dial again"
Damn kids and their chuunibyou.

Also, took a while for the first proper protagonist freakout. Kamina finds himself in the RahXephon cockpit and is now controlling it while conscious for the first time.

Wakey wakey Eva- err, RahXephon
hHw6x7e.jpg

Usually these opening arcs take an episode or two but it seems RahXephon wants to go for a third one before we let things slow down and settle

Link Man

Banned
Shiki 8

I keep asking myself why I continue to watch this. This show has a lot of promise, but rarely delivers on it. It has an interesting premise, but is held back by poor acting, pacing and writing. It has some interesting, creepy visuals at times, but the character designs are straight out of Pokemon. I guess I just keep hoping that the show will deliver, will become something that sends chills down my spine when watching late at night.

This episode did end on a relative high note, but why does this villain need a gimmick? She could be just as menacing without the dummy. Again, it makes the show feel like Pokemon or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom