• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
As many issues as RahXephon had I still somehow managed to enjoy it. Mostly because I'm a sucker for romance and it put a decent emphasis into it. Also there's a really great episode later in the series that just tears your fucking heart out when they make the reveal.

Thoraxes

Man, it feels good being able to come home from work and go to sleep at night knowing that i'm personally responsible for helping save fantastic anime.

photomar0420249am1mjjou.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Dio Brando just defeated Kyubey and School Days' Makoto for role of "most evil monster in an anime."
The big beef I have with Makoto is that he outright denies at every turn that he is an unpleasant chap and blames others for everything He's a spineless shit who would literally sexually assault someone and then blame them for it claiming the true reality is they just walked into his dick. On the other hand Dio goes out there and sings I am what I am!

Gazoinks

The big beef I have with Makoto is that he outright denies at every turn that he is an unpleasant chap and blames others for everything He's a spineless shit who would literally sexually assault someone and then blame them for it claiming the true reality is they just walked into his dick. On the other hand Dio goes out there and sings I am what I am!

Dio being completely unrepentantly evil is definitely what makes him such a fun villain. Koyasu really sells it in the anime too.

Nordicus

As many issues as RahXephon had I still somehow managed to enjoy it. Mostly because I'm a sucker for romance and it put a decent emphasis into it. Also there's a really great episode later in the series that just tears your fucking heart out when they make the reveal.
I heard it was fairly good too, JesuOtaku once reviewed it rather favorably, and since I feel she's slightly pickier than most people, I'm rather certain I won't at the very least hate it. Can't wait for the romantic developments.

Nordicus

Sorry, I was absent from every single one of the GAF implosion drills, someone have a memo so I can get up to speed?

Anyone? No?

Fuck. That's what I get for poor attendance

Articalys

something seems to still be working on stuff, so I'll draw some early numbers from @Yuyucow and /a/ instead:

Feb. 24 - Mar. 2 sales notes

- The Wake Up, Girls! movie BD sells about 8,600 copies, with the caveat that it's way cheaper than a normal 60-minute movie would usually cost, at about 3000 yen.
- Log Horizon, surprisingly, continues to do well for an NHK-E show, with volume 2 coming up just shy of 4,000 BD+DVD again.
- Doing my own calculations, it looks like Kiniro Mosaic finished up six volumes with about a 6,500 BD+DVD average, Railgun S finished eight volumes with a 16,400 BD+DVD average, and Ro-Kyu-Bu SS finishes six volumes with about a 4,050 BD+DVD average

Besides that the list is just a terrible mess of ongoing series v2+ sales, so I'll wait for the translated list later for anything else. Also the BD cutoff was super-high at around 3,000, so there going to be a lot missing until the full list on Thursday anyway.

Shergal

Noragami 9
I'm amused at the whole system in the show. There's just so much consequence for being an average pubescent boy! lol. But I guess it's fairly typical in anime and fiction to have these generally internal struggles externalized like that.

This is pretty much the most satisfying show in the season. It's a pleasure to the eyes and ears, it goes through like a breeze and it's all in service of a very solid, well-written story. My only wish is that we have some baller action in the final arc.

cnet128

Banned
Congratulations, you have awakened to the wonder of Chiwa Saito.

Saitou Chiwa is one of the tougher seiyuu to get a hang of as well, because she has so much goddamn range. Though individual roles of hers can sound similar. The plainface voice she uses for the likes of Senjougahara (Monogatari) and Homura (Madoka) is one, but right down at the other end of the spectrum, I'm a fan of the wonderful hyper genki slightly-insane voice she uses for Taokaka (BlazBlue), Patty (Tales of Vesperia) and Chimney (One Piece). And she has a ton of different voices besides those.

Meduka Meguca and her Sports Loving Cat Rebolation 2

If Satan tells you he isn't a liar and he is totally doing the right thing, and you believe him, you're a fucking moron.

Coming from this, now I really want to hear your impressions of the third movie.

These are the two recap movies you're going over right? Or wait, are you watching the third movie and posting your impressions in parts?

It's hard to tell with all the jokes in the title.

Bakemonogatari ( crab & snail blu ray edition )

So i'm watching Bakemonogatari again .. It's an extreme SHAFT case marathon i'm having ..

It's really refreshing to see gahara-san 1.0 with so many copmlex feeligns on screen and all the blanter between her and araragi since you know what it'll become...

So far the Uk blu-ray quality is alright , even if it doesn't have that many extra , but at least the translation is good.

CorvoSol

Coming from this, now I really want to hear your impressions of the third movie.

These are the two recap movies you're going over right? Or wait, are you watching the third movie and posting your impressions in parts?

It's hard to tell with all the jokes in the title.

I'm watching the world's prettiest and longest recap episodes.

Noragami 9
I'm amused at the whole system in the show. There's just so much consequence for being an average pubescent boy! lol. But I guess it's fairly typical in anime and fiction to have these generally internal struggles externalized like that.

This is pretty much the most satisfying show in the season. It's a pleasure to the eyes and ears, it goes through like a breeze and it's all in service of a very solid, well-written story. My only wish is that we have some baller action in the final arc.

Yeah def., just wish the show was longer than 12 episodes, do you know many OVAs are planned? Still haven't shown why Yato choose Yukine as a Regailia, my theory is Yato probably killed him or his parents in the past or something along those lines

Bakemonogatari ( Monkey edition )

This was a LARGE DOSE of kanbaru

and a large dose of hate ...

( Large dose of kanbaru are cool ) because she is a sports girl AND an exhibitionist !

( The Detail that changes everything )

something seems to still be working on stuff, so I'll draw some early numbers from @Yuyucow and /a/ instead:

Feb. 24 - Mar. 2 sales notes

- The Wake Up, Girls! movie BD sells about 8,600 copies, with the caveat that it's way cheaper than a normal 60-minute movie would usually cost, at about 3000 yen.
- Log Horizon, surprisingly, continues to do well for an NHK-E show, with volume 2 coming up just shy of 4,000 BD+DVD again.
- Doing my own calculations, it looks like Kiniro Mosaic finished up six volumes with about a 6,500 BD+DVD average, Railgun S finished eight volumes with a 16,400 BD+DVD average, and Ro-Kyu-Bu SS finishes six volumes with about a 4,050 BD+DVD average

Besides that the list is just a terrible mess of ongoing series v2+ sales, so I'll wait for the translated list later for anything else. Also the BD cutoff was super-high at around 3,000, so there going to be a lot missing until the full list on Thursday anyway.

No mention of Hakuoki movie sales?

It really is just Rebuild of Evangelion in frilly skirts, innit?

Aren't all magical girl shows just Mecha in frilly skirts?

Yes, and that's why the two genres colliding would be one of the greatest things of all time. I will forever wait for the day where I will see Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann fighting
Goddess
Madoka.

Cause when you think about it,
they're basically the same thing given that they both surpassed time and space.

Tenumi

Banned
Happiness Charge Precure: 05

Yo Yo Yo!

A fun episode. Not really getting into the heart of the plot quite yet, but that's fine. We're 5 episodes into a 50 episode show. Gotta get the basics down first before moving forward.

Articalys

A short interview with Masahiro Ando just popped up on ANN. Here's the list of questions so you can determine if you want to read it or not:
Sword of the Stranger was very well received by anime fans in America, and it was compared to many other chanbara films in terms of appeal. These kinds of samurai movies have their own fanbase too, they're fairly well-known. When making Stranger, how did you approach telling a familiar type of story while still making it unique among those kinds of films?

One of the things that stuck out to me most about Stranger was the extremely active role of the dog, Tobimaru. I imagine it would be impossible to give an animal a role that action-heavy in a live-action film. What inspired you to give the dog such a heavy part? He's very impressive in the film.

You've worked with Mari Okada often, and she's a very well-liked writer among anime fans here. Fans seem to be most drawn to her writing's strong sentimentalism and lingering moods. It doesn't apply to her entire body of work, of course, but Hanasaku Iroha is a story with many strong moments of character emotion and weight. How do you approach directing those heavy scripts into a story without letting it become melodramatic?

Blast of Tempest is heavily Shakespeare-influenced, and has many symbols from lots of different plays he's written. How did you unify those elements to bring across the central ideas of the story, or give it a "Shakespearean" feel?

Are there any future projects on the horizon that you can tell us about?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2014-03-04/interview-masahiro-ando

Link Man

Banned
It's a damn shame Mushi-shi never received a bluray release over here, some of these backgrounds are quite beatiful. Anyway, 8 episodes in, and it's still really strong, although there is a pervading sense of melancholy throughout (and I believe this is part of the reason I stopped watching the first time).

duckroll

A short interview with Masahiro Ando just popped up on ANN. Here's the list of questions so you can determine if you want to read it or not:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2014-03-04/interview-masahiro-ando

"As for future projects, I still can't announce anything specific yet, but I'm working on two action titles. They're both at the planning stage though, so nothing solid is fixed yet. By the time you hear more about them it could be years from now, but we'll see."

OMG OMG OMG OMG! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel~

fertygo

"As for future projects, I still can't announce anything specific yet, but I'm working on two action titles. They're both at the planning stage though, so nothing solid is fixed yet. By the time you hear more about them it could be years from now, but we'll see."

OMG OMG OMG OMG! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel~

As long its not adaptation for mediocre manga like Zetsuen, I'd excited for this.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Tasogare otome X phantom episode 1
Only in a series like this can they replay the same 10 mins twice. Must have saved a ton on budget.

Pani Poni Dash! 02

No. No there isn't.

Remembering names is hard. Poor plain girl. Even more characters introduced. Cowlick girl is my favorite so far though.

I'm starting to accept the crazy and this episode was amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom