• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Monster Episode 17:

I didn't realize how much I needed a good grounded seinen program until I started watching Monster here. Yes, watching people act like real people is rarer then it should be in the medium.
Though I will say I am not really feeling Johann as a terribly compelling villain at this stage. Alright, you want to tell me he has no interest in the Neo-Nazis because he does not match their particular brand of odious ideology. The fact of the matter is he is a less complex individual then this show would have me believe. Oh, I get that he is a purer villain then anybody else and it is a testament to the skill of the writing staff that Johann has not been turned into an outright over the top Saturday Morning cartoon villain but being the maybe literal incarnation of The Devil who seems to be doing evil for evil sake at the point is not too far off the mark motivation wise. Johann wants to see most of the world burn, I get that and it is compelling to watch but really sticks out in its thin premise when even the supporting characters are being written with a shocking amount of depth to them.

Also, Renge has the cutest eyebrows in the show:

QVXzyk9.jpg
You can't go wrong with pickled radishes.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Saki: Zenkoku-hen - 08

6kv07gs.jpg

Her alter ego costume is so stylish! <3

Hahahaha Kiyosumi
not taking the hint and causing monocle girl to wear herself out in preventing loli miku from pulling that spiritual bullshiterry. Nodoka pls.

You know you dun goofed when you see this sitting across from you.

Prepare your anus.

CorvoSol

Let me help you Corvo.
-GBF
-Macross Plus
-Symbionic Titan

There ya go!

I must finish Higurashi, and I'm locked into Kino for Cajun. Other than that the only things left to really "trim" from the watch list are Getter Robo G and Great Mazinger.

I mean, Getter Robo G and Great Mazinger are what they are, and Getter Robo G is definitely the weaker, but since I want to rewatch Zeta and I need something to burn Macross II from the mind, I'll hold onto them for now.

Getter Robo, and especially G, suffers a great deal from "more of the same." Like, though we now have Benkei and the Hyakki Empire and the Getter G, the plot of the show so far has functioned identically to its predecessor, so it's kinda hard to get hyped for the next episode.

Hamatora 09

Hm, so pretty interesting to learn more about Three.

But now the villain released his army so I'm guessing next week will be pretty chaotic and hopefully awesome.

TheRancor

The only reason I like Victory more than the other three is due to the music being so good in it. The OPs and EDs are great (OP2's a bit weak but eh), the Insert Song in Episode 50 was incredible and the general background music was superb.
Nice to see someone acknowledge Akira Senju's score.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd like to say you can get used to 3D cel shaded anime, but I've only seen one with this technique and that was Cyborg 009 which had the advantage of being a film so one had a while to get into it. With a 24 min show by the time my mind adjusts and accepts it the show will be over and we have to try again next week.

Knights of Sidonia clip cuts to fast to see if it gets over the things that felt off with Cyborg 009. Though they got over one big one - they don't have pilca semilunaris modelled. That really was an odd decision by the 009 team.

Link Man

Banned
Shiki 9

This is like the anime equivalent of blue balls. So they ending of the last episode had puppet vampire entering Yuuki's house, and you would think they would resolve that this episode? Nope, here's doc and priest hanging out at the hospital!

Honestly, this show is starting to feel like a chore. I'm really thinking of dropping it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ha ha, it was only yesterday that, while on a bus, a bunch of young school kids got on because they were going on a school trip and due to their noise levels the teacher told them to use their "indoor voices".

Hadn't heard the phrase in so long and then another one appears. Two occurrences appear in two days!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Shiki 9

This is like the anime equivalent of blue balls. So they ending of the last episode had puppet vampire entering Yuuki's house, and you would think they would resolve that this episode? Nope, here's doc and priest hanging out at the hospital!

Honestly, this show is starting to feel like a chore. I'm really thinking of dropping it.
Shame that you're not digging it. As a replacement I'd suggest Vampire Princess Miyu TV.

Shiki 9

I'd say keep with it for a bit more. When it gets good, it gets REAL good.

Nordicus

RahXephon 3

Rather big change from the first two episodes, we spend most of it with Haruka and Kamina exploring an abandoned town outside Tokyo Jupiter.

It's all kinda adorable, Haruka keeps flirting with Kamina and succumbs to the power of a cute kitty cat.

GviUwJh.jpg

Oh yeah, apparently the years are different in Tokyo Jupiter for some reason. I don't get that, the lies of the rest of the world being destroyed made sense, because it dissuades people from leaving Tokyo Jupiter. No clue what the point was in staying in 2010s

Also, Kamina asks "Are you an angel from the future?" and Haruka appropriately starts bellylaughing.

Gundam Build Fighters 1
Well that was a really good opening. Skipping the nonsense and going right to the mecha battles sounds like a perfect formula. Yeah, I'll be watching the rest of this.

cnet128

Banned
inb4 anime adaptation

Omae o Otaku ni Shiteyaru kara, Ore o Riajuu ni Shitekure!

Kashiwada Naoki was determined to lead his high-school life without anyone knowing that he's an Otaku. However, his classmate Bishoujo, Koigasaki Momo, who was rumored among the girls to be a bitch, found him out!? Before the despairing Kashiwada, she said something undoubtedly surprising.

“Aren’t you an Otaku? Then, make me into an Otaku!”

The love story of two individuals bounded by an agreement of Otaku and Riajuu starts!!

sound like a potential 10k seller

Oh yeah, I've heard of this one. I daresay an anime adaptation is pretty inevitable at some point.

Maybe it will serve to introduce the English anime-watching community to the "riajuu" term in the same way as Chuuni did with "chuunibyou".

...Then again, maybe it won't because nobody will watch it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh yeah, I've heard of this one. I daresay an anime adaptation is pretty inevitable at some point.

Maybe it will serve to introduce the English anime-watching community to the "riajuu" term in the same way as Chuuni did with "chuunibyou".

...Then again, maybe it won't because nobody will watch it.

That yuri book is basically this!

Edit: apparently I read this a year ago. lol

BluWacky

Oh yeah, apparently the years are different in Tokyo Jupiter for some reason. I don't get that, the lies of the rest of the world being destroyed made sense, because it dissuades people from leaving Tokyo Jupiter. No clue what the point was in staying in 2010s

From what I remember, it's not really an "intended" side effect of the Tokyo Jupiter barrier - it doesn't really serve any advantage to those on the inside. it just makes the show more interesting thematically :)

Speaking of RahXephon - whatever happened to Chiaki Konaka? As far as I'm aware he hasn't written anything since an episode of Hell Girl in 2009 - has he left the industry?

didnt want to make a new thread to ask this, but is there a movie i can watch thats similar to these:

sword of the stranger
princess mononoke
ninja scroll

duckroll

didnt want to make a new thread to ask this, but is there a movie i can watch thats similar to these:

sword of the stranger
princess mononoke
ninja scroll

Not a movie, but you can try Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal, which is the OVA prequel. It's about as long as a movie.

TheRancor

From what I remember, it's not really an "intended" side effect of the Tokyo Jupiter barrier - it doesn't really serve any advantage to those on the inside. it just makes the show more interesting thematically :)
Even if it was strongly hinted at, I don't think the
time dilation
was fully explained at that point. I might be wrong though.

Speaking of RahXephon - whatever happened to Chiaki Konaka? As far as I'm aware he hasn't written anything since an episode of Hell Girl in 2009 - has he left the industry?
This just reminds me that I still haven't watch Serial Experiments Lain yet.

Urusei Yatsura - 70

A SHOUNEN HAATo rival to Mendou appears,
a baseball match with both sides wanting to lose + Ryoko's kuroko. With Ryoko around they'll never decide their rivalry.

NeonZ

I didn't have Internet in the last few days, and also had some holidays, so was mostly watching Urusei Yatsura, and already got to episode 117. The ones saying that it improves after the two parters are over were right (although I thought the first few one parters were worse than the two parters). I'm really enjoying this show now.

The second movie was excellent too. I didn't like the first one much though - only the animation seemed to stand out there. I guess none of the other movies will match the second one if I liked it that much?

Link Man

Banned
Mushi-shi 9

Ah, the classic case of "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". It is nice when we get a somewhat happy ending, though.

Well, actually now that I think about it, there aren't many tragic endings in this show per se, it's more like the message is that the human spirit endures through any tragedy.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I didn't have Internet in the last few days, and also had some holidays, so was mostly watching Urusei Yatsura, and already got to episode 117. The ones saying that it improves after the two parters are over were right (although I thought the first few one parters were worse than the two parters).

The second movie was excellent too. I didn't like the first one much though - only the animation seemed to stand out there. I guess none of the other movies will match the second one if I liked it that much?

Hey NeonZ, this is totally unrelated to your post, but I was wondering something and figured if anyone would know, it'd be you. Have you heard any talk of anyone picking up the new Keroro for simulcast?

You know, the Capsule Monsters arc is one my favorite YGO arcs.
But what the hell is this shit.

I honestly have no idea.

It's not even a game anymore but some crappy F-level RPG going on here, with summoning monsters to fight and then you can suddenly fuse with them.

It's badddddddddddddd.

No tomboy picture, 1 space down

Tough crowd.

I didn't have Internet in the last few days, and also had some holidays, so was mostly watching Urusei Yatsura, and already got to episode 117. The ones saying that it improves after the two parters are over were right (although I thought the first few one parters were worse than the two parters).

Hmm, now you made curious. When should I watch the movies and OVAs? Open question.

Urusei Yatsura - 71

It became obvious to me
when other brothers weren't in the room, what can I do? I'm a late bloomer.

Urusei Yatsura - 72

Ngu8MpZ.jpg

I knew Ataru would make something irreparable someday.

Why don't we have more movies by the producer/director Ataru?
That underskirtmissile.gif came from this episode, if I could just find it.
JdEuekl.jpg

Tomboy pic for Theonik.

NeonZ

Hmm, now you made curious. When should I watch the movies and OVAs? Open question.

I'm going with release order, although I'm leaving Movie 5 for later, because it's supposed to be the ending. I haven't spoiled the actual story content of the movies though, so I don't know if that's really how it is chronologically.

So far, going with release dates, it was movie 1 between episodes 58 and 59 (well, I actually watched it between 54 and 55 and it coincidently matched up with the change of ending theme) and movie 2 between episodes 99 and 100. Movie 3 is between episodes 140 and 141. The OVAs only are released after the last opening change (episode 166), so I haven't worried about them yet. There's also Movie 4 near the ending of the tv show too, although I'm not worried about the specific numbers yet for the same reason as the OVAs and post series movies.

Hey NeonZ, this is totally unrelated to your post, but I was wondering something and figured if anyone would know, it'd be you. Have you heard any talk of anyone picking up the new Keroro for simulcast?

I haven't seen anything so far. The official Keroro PR twitter account did post an English message about the pv, in addition to the Japanese one, but that's the closest thing I've seen to indications of any English release.

Also related to the new Keroro anime, these are episode titles for April now and it seems like the new Keroro anime is going to be a complete reboot, restarting the story from the beginning, not just a soft reboot that starts from some later point of the manga or goes with random short stories. This is pretty odd considering how it's a 5 minute flash anime...

http://www.animax.co.jp/program/NN10001566/schedule2

"Alien surveillance", "space cleaning/alien cleans house", and especially "Keroro platoon formation" all sound like very early chapters. "Sister, transform!" also seems like it could be an early manga chapter that was never adapted by the original anime. The pv showed some characters who appeared only in very recent manga volumes though, so this is pretty odd.

Yozakura Quartet Hoshi no Uma
A fun arc with these new characters being introduced and some nice action. Though aside from the new characters, this hardly moves the plot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom