• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pani Poni Dash! 04

1yiLDgy.jpg

Dat shiny forehead.

Studying is not easy when having all these people around. Even have to resort to discussing cheating strategies... in front of your teacher? Good thing glasses can fix everything.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Tasogare otome X amnesia episode 8
Lovely episode, some good feels at the end
if someone, anybody can find the name of the song that plays during this episode in the last like 5 mins of it, I will forever be in your debt.

Buddy Complex Episode 9

Arguing buddies was perfect. The plot for the episode was predictable even the big moment could be seen from a mile away but it was done so well. Added to it was the antagonists response being so extreme.
Kind of figured it would go beyond the two minutes since well that was the expected path to take but while arguing and them not even realizing it. I wonder if it also translates over to buddying with Fromm?

Full version of Unisonia is great.

cajunator

Banned
Recently My Sister Is Unusual - 09

Fairly boring episode, and kinda silly how
childhood friend is expecting the two leads to end up together as if it was supposed to happen.
What the hell.

is this show still as squicky as it began?

I must finish Higurashi, and I'm locked into Kino for Cajun. Other than that the only things left to really "trim" from the watch list are Getter Robo G and Great Mazinger.

I mean, Getter Robo G and Great Mazinger are what they are, and Getter Robo G is definitely the weaker, but since I want to rewatch Zeta and I need something to burn Macross II from the mind, I'll hold onto them for now.

Getter Robo, and especially G, suffers a great deal from "more of the same." Like, though we now have Benkei and the Hyakki Empire and the Getter G, the plot of the show so far has functioned identically to its predecessor, so it's kinda hard to get hyped for the next episode.

Kino and Princess Tutu.
also Im gonna resume FMP tonight.

Hunter x Hunter 119

The star point of the episode was Ikalgo's battle, a battle of strategy from The Little Octopus. The embodiment that is Hunter x Hunter.

Killua only hits and run.

CorvoSol

Kino and Princess Tutu.
also Im gonna resume FMP tonight.

Right, Tutu after Kino.

i shall seek this out.

Gundam Wing Endless Waltz

... Animation was great, story ... not so much.

This honestly how I feel about every Gundam movie. Except maybe AWTB, where honestly even the action bored me cuz it was just dudes flying around shooting gray arrowheads with orange lasers.

But like, CCA? Hate the plot of that movie. Sazabi vs Nu is still rad. EW? The whole thing runs on the entire human race being idiots and the ending has them make the same mistakes that set the movie into motion. Wing Zero Custom and Talgeese III are still some of the hottest mechs around. F91? Really, really butchered (by nature) but it still LOOKS great.

Midonin

Inari, Kon Kon, Koi Iroha. 08

I don't think I've mentioned this before, but one of the things about Inari that makes her so adorable is her accent. I'm so used to characters in anime speaking with the Tokyo standard accent, that having a heroine who's the protagonist use something else like this is cute. So Inari's
on the path to godhood if she keeps using the power, and Uka's now trapped in a cave. As the legends go.
The hijinks in the heavenly world were fun, but this also reminds me the show's nearly over.

Jex

Someone finally posted scans of the interview with Ei Aoki on Aldnoah Zero from the pamphlet they were giving out at Animate stores on Sunday. Here are some details:

- The project originated when he was approached by the Aniplex producer to create a new robot anime. He decided he wanted to make a real robot show.

Sweet, anime is cool guys.

- The story is about a war between Mars and Earth, in traditional real robot style, ie: Gundam. The people fighting the war are all humans, even though they live on two different planets.

- We can expect all the usual stuff from such a work - different ideologies, politics, teenage pilots both male and female, more realistic military style action, etc.

God dammit anime!

Hamatora Episode 9
tumblr_n1xk3hRp4M1sb30y2o1_500.gif

Well in one way one could tell the anime is winding down since weve just about run out of backstories for characters especially if we are turning towards three. Maybe Murasaki could get covered but that was explained pretty fast in the manga. Moral stuff is there and maybe some connection could be examined since there are lots of similarities going on between him and nice and art at times, Nice's smirk in the episode when saying super hacker even. It almost feels like the pieces are there I just cant make the connection.

Great action!

Right, Tutu after Kino.

This honestly how I feel about every Gundam movie. Except maybe AWTB, where honestly even the action bored me cuz it was just dudes flying around shooting gray arrowheads with orange lasers.

But like, CCA? Hate the plot of that movie. Sazabi vs Nu is still rad. EW? The whole thing runs on the entire human race being idiots and the ending has them make the same mistakes that set the movie into motion. Wing Zero Custom and Talgeese III are still some of the hottest mechs around. F91? Really, really butchered (by nature) but it still LOOKS great.

yea f91's beginning scene is still good to this day. CCA ... god.

Bombless

Recently My Sister Is Unusual - 09

Fairly boring episode, and kinda silly how
childhood friend is expecting the two leads to end up together as if it was supposed to happen.
What the hell.

There's been a few signs throughout the episodes that both Top Heavy girl and Rich/Glasses girl know what's going on with Mitsuki.

Midonin

Maken-Ki! Two 08

In which Maken-Ki! turns into at least half of the nukige I've played. More of a series of lewd sketches than anything else. Yet the combination of director and character design keeps my attention.... in a lewd way, but that still counts. Kengo was able to reconfigure basically the entire school pretty quickly... and I think that final scene had a bit of a Downfall vibe to it. You could edit in Kengo's rant over any "Hitler rants about X" video and it would sync up well enough.

Pooya

Is Ei Aoki obsessed with 'zero'? probably why they changed the name :b

I like the sound of realistic mecha if that means it's about slow combat, not pulling out wings and beams everywhere.

It drives me insane that CCA is more popular than ZZ when CCA is almost quantifiably worse.

Char's Counterattack is great. ZZ's first 15 episodes are such a chore to get through. It gets good, but that still doesn't excuse the beginning.

2 hours of Char's Counterattack gives you a complete and tragic story with some memorable moments (and yeah some dumbass kids doing some stupid shit, but they get what they deserve in the end; this is done with purpose unlike a lot of the early going in ZZ) and some great fights and a nice ending. Not to mention the goddman Sazabi.

2 hours of ZZ will get you some dumb kids doing stupid shit. You have to wade through a lot of idiocy, Bright chasing around chickens, and Yazan being turned into comic relief before ZZ gets anywhere good. On the plus side, it does have the incredible Anime ja nai.

I really do recommend Princess Tutu. I can't stand magical girl shows. But this one has the upside of being structured in a very old-timey western fable story-telling technique and setting. The soundtrack entirely consists of classical music. Also for a second time in one of these anime about backwards love triangle, it's really easy to choose who the best guy is. Even if it's always the same trope of the asshole with a heart of gold.

And more importantly Neko-sensei is in this show

CorvoSol

Char has star power!

By CCA that's all he has. Char Aznable's such a shell of who and what he was in MSG by that point.

Char's Counterattack is great.
2 hours of ZZ will get you some dumb kids doing stupid shit.

Wait how does that differ from CCA again? Last I checked CCA is the horrible movie that stars Quess Paraya, a dumb kid doing stupid shit and killing people for it. Also Hathaway Noa, a dumb kid doing stupid shit and killing people for it. Meanwhile Char and Amuro angst about a girl who died decades ago. Meteors are dropped on the Earth because that is all the more originality Tomino could muster for this shit fest, and who could forget the tragic, gripping plot line of "DOES CHAR REALLY ONLY LIKE TEENAGE GIRLS?"

CCA is a piece of shit movie that happens to have good fights. ZZ is the cure for Zeta's cancer.

I don't know, I felt that Princess Tutu got really formulaic around the middle,found it difficult to finish.

It does get formulaic with its 'which character has something happen to them' on each episode. But I'm watching it for what's going on around the regular stuff. I love watching everything besides those scenes of Princess Tutu herself.

CorvoSol

Higurashi Kai 18

It took what, 50 episodes, to find out what happened to Satoshi? And the we didn't even actually find out what happened to Satoshi. I GUESS
Takano Miyo
had him vivisected, but I can't be sure. It's certainly her brand of insane evil.

By CCA that's all he has. Char Aznable's such a shell of who and what he was in MSG by that point.

Wait how does that differ from CCA again? Last I checked CCA is the horrible movie that stars Quess Paraya, a dumb kid doing stupid shit and killing people for it. Also Hathaway Noa, a dumb kid doing stupid shit and killing people for it. Meanwhile Char and Amuro angst about a girl who died decades ago. Meteors are dropped on the Earth because that is all the more originality Tomino could muster for this shit fest, and who could forget the tragic, gripping plot line of "DOES CHAR REALLY ONLY LIKE TEENAGE GIRLS?"

CCA is a piece of shit movie that happens to have good fights. ZZ is the cure for Zeta's cancer.

Quess and Hathaway being dumb kids whose actions lead to people getting killed is a feature of the story, though. It's not just some kids being written poorly; the audience is supposed to find the way they act frustrating and the results deplorable. Amuro and Char being hung up on Lalah still makes sense when you consider just how young they were at the time. And it hadn't been 'decades', but rather about 15 years. If you murder the woman who you love in the middle of a fight as a teenager, I think that would stick with you for a long time. Amuro and Char are relics of the past by this point; they're unable to properly move on from Lalah or from their past ideologies, which is what leads Char to the actions he takes in the movie.

There's no such disconnect in ZZ, though. Judau and his friends are just dumb obnoxious kids who get involved in dumb kid escapades while somehow getting to pilot a Gundam because Bright is too busy chasing around chickens to have any involvement with what is going on in his ship. It takes more than 15 episodes for anything remotely interesting to happen in ZZ.

CorvoSol

Quess and Hathaway being dumb kids whose actions lead to people getting killed is a feature of the story, though. It's not just some kids being written poorly;

Yes, yes it is. This is a movie where, I repeat, whether or not Char is an ephebophile is a plot point. There's no such thing as good writing when it comes to Char's Counter Attack.

Meanwhile, ZZ Gundam manages to not suck by having a cast of characters who aren't repulsive to the point where the director feels the need to butcher them all wholesale in the hopes it will destroy everything.

Jex

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 4

Just a quick PSA Emma Sheen was the greatest woman to live during the entire Universal Century and like, one of five good women characters Tomino ever wrote.

Really love the music in Zeta Gundam, too.

You're feeling generous today!

CorvoSol

You're feeling generous today!

Today I chose to count Kihel Heim and Dianna Soriel as two female characters instead of one, that's all.

Like, good female characters in Tomino Gundam: Frau Bow, Emma Sheen, Haman Khan, and Dianna Soreil.

That Emma and Haman are good is something of a miracle since they both premiered in Zeta, where women are otherwise basically horribly written.

Black Lagoon 10
While her story is certainly harsh, it doesn't really make me sad maybe because bunch of people already live tragic lives there. Roberta's fights with Black Lagoon were pretty awesome though

It does get formulaic with its 'which character has something happen to them' on each episode. But I'm watching it for what's going on around the regular stuff. I love watching everything besides those scenes of Princess Tutu herself.

It's like you're trying to get me interested in this by telling things I don't want to hear. It's almost like people trying to tell me to continue CCS in the worst possible manner.

EDIT: Actually, that still isn't as bad as my example because Tutu is much shorter.

It's like you're trying to get me interested in this by telling things I don't want to hear. It's almost like people trying to tell me to continue CCS in the worst possible manner.

I'm not that passionate about the show to tell you everything good about it. I like it because of the fable atmosphere, classical music, and the majority of the main cast of characters. I don't like Magical Girl shows. Also the art style isn't excessively moe, which makes it very good in my books.

I think people like Cajun can recommend this better. I'm just really enjoying it but admit it has its faults.

cajunator

Banned
Today I chose to count Kihel Heim and Dianna Soriel as two female characters instead of one, that's all.

Like, good female characters in Tomino Gundam: Frau Bow, Emma Sheen, Haman Khan, and Dianna Soreil.

That Emma and Haman are good is something of a miracle since they both premiered in Zeta, where women are otherwise basically horribly written.

That reminds me. I drew Emma Sheen as a catgirl for someone in exchange for vhs tapes of Hyper Police.

Jex

I feel that ever the "good" female characters tend to be (pointlessly) weakened by Tomino whenever they try and so something like e.g. pilot a mecha because as soon as they try to do some other (male) pilot just comes over and destroys them. Fucking Tomino.

Sgt. Keroro - Episode 271

Leaving Awakening of the Trailblazer for tommorow as honestly 12 episodes of S2 broke me yesterday. In the meantime, I found a couple episodes of this that I haven't watched yet so...

First part was all about Tamama getting an inferiority complex to a new recruit, that being old man Joriri who bought along his odd sayings that nobody gets (including me).

Second part was the better of the two with Natsumi being turned into a boy by accident and then taking advantage of it to get to know Saburo better (Those wanting to see Chiwa Saito showing off her vocal range this is the episode for you). Got to love Giroro's reaction to Natsumi being a man considering that he's got a crush on her and Keroro's Newtype Flash alerting him of Natsumi going to kill him!

Feels great to watch this again!

You forgot Roux Louka!

Midonin

Witch Craft Works 09

So much going on. I enjoy how casually everyone treats these life-threatening situations. Even when taken prisoner, Kagari takes no prisoners. Smashing the messenger doll in the middle of its transmission was impressive, and a bit scary. The fakeout with the beach scene did get me there for a second.

Jarmel

Banned
Someone finally posted scans of the interview with Ei Aoki on Aldnoah Zero from the pamphlet they were giving out at Animate stores on Sunday. Here are some details:

- The project originated when he was approached by the Aniplex producer to create a new robot anime. He decided he wanted to make a real robot show.

- The story is about a war between Mars and Earth, in traditional real robot style, ie: Gundam. The people fighting the war are all humans, even though they live on two different planets.

- We can expect all the usual stuff from such a work - different ideologies, politics, teenage pilots both male and female, more realistic military style action, etc.

- The name "Aldnoah" refers to the main reason humanity started migrating to Mars. There was a discovery of an advanced energy source from a long lost civilization on the planet. That energy source is called Aldnoah.

- The original working title for the show was "Princess of Mars". But the actual story has no relation to the classic series featuring John Carter.

I think it's pretty obvious that this is definitely the Aniplex mecha show they were talking about once upon a time at Anime Expo when they said they were working on something to challenge Gundam. Lol.

Wow, this sounds straight out of Zone of Enders.

Like might as well call it a reboot.

Bombless

Sgt. Keroro - Episode 271

Leaving Awakening of the Trailblazer for tommorow as honestly 12 episodes of S2 broke me yesterday. In the meantime, I found a couple episodes of this that I haven't watched yet so...

You might want to wait a good week, the numbness hits the brain pretty hard.

Princess Tutu: Series Review

Probably one of the few magical girl shows I'll enjoy. The other being Madoka. The characters all evolved, and while certain character tropes did exist the story did not end how I expected it to, which is to its favor. Fakir became my favorite character, and Rue's character was probably one of the more interesting ones in the story.

Over-all I give this show a quack/10

If you do not enjoy it, I'll have you marry me.

Princess Tutu: Series Review

Probably one of the few magical girl shows I'll enjoy. The other being Madoka. The characters all evolved, and while certain character tropes did exist the story did not end how I expected it to, which is to its favor. Fakir became my favorite character, and Rue's character was probably one of the more interesting ones in the story.

Over-all I give this show a quack/10

If you do not enjoy it, I'll have you marry me.

This on the other hand, is a better way of selling me on Tutu. Granted that was something i've been planning to watch forever.

I didn't really go too in depth. I could, but since you're already planning to watch it do so. Not one character out of the main three/four stays static throughout and all go through many different phases. I mean Ahiru is definitely the one that evolves the least, but the show wasn't so much about her as it was about the other three characters. It ended very neatly which I appreciate.

I didn't really go too in depth. I could, but since you're already planning to watch it do so. Not one character out of the main three/four stays static throughout and all go through many different phases. I mean Ahiru is definitely the one that evolves the least, but the show wasn't so much about her as it was about the other three characters. It ended very neatly which I appreciate.

Great, because that's what made me stop watching CCS, as well as the fact that it slowed down to a crawl because everyone stagnated.

Inari Kon Kon Iroha 8
Uka-sama was fantastic yet again especially in that scene with Touka. Inari-san was pretty brave and Susanoo was awesome

I've been watching scenes that made me cry all throughout my life in animated films and I got to the goodbye scene in the Fox and the Hound. I haven't seen this movie since I was a kid and now the tears won't stop coming.

Then I saw Grave of the Fireflies. I have no more tears after that. I need to drink water lol

cnet128

Banned
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren 9

Episode of DELICIOUS SWIMSUITS EVERYWHERE! Most delicious of all being Dekomori's. This episode also featured the return of a character I'm sure plenty of people will be pleased to see. Personally I couldn't care less, but I welcome her anyway since she brought with her an amazing loli. How thoughtful.
iHxXYsqNVtNml.png

Pictured: delicious swimsuit and amazing loli

This episode also contained interesting developments on the Rikka and Satone side of things, but I think we can all agree on what the real best moments of the episode are…
iI7z17DiRqD7g.png
itDDiiPDqxXTN.png

At least in sleep they can embrace their true feelings! …And each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom