• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Samurai Flamenco Episode 17
Ofcourse they arent the final enemy, and what is flamenco! is this like "the will of D" shit!?

jman2050

I'm 3/4 of the way through the 3rd Madoka movie. I have half an hour left. I feel like this is like if someone had said "You know, The Epic of Gilgamesh had a GREAT ending. Why don't I just fuck it up and ruin it while covering it in great special effects and raping whatever message the story had to begin with?"

Like for reals, fuck the person who decided that this movie was a good idea.

April 2nd can't come soon enough.

Really interested to see how the dice falls across the board around here.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Which reminds me, I'll probably be watching that when a slot opens up.

Watch Urusei Yatsura or Maison Ikkoku instead. Why settle for Takahashi's worst when you can have her best?

Oh! And if it'll help your continuing quest for horror, Mermaid Forest TV might interest you. It's where Takahashi got to let out all her dark stuff and the last episode was withheld from TV broadcast.

Its a similar show to the likes of Vandread and maybe Cowboy Bebop a little bit.
It also has Aisha ClanClan and thats a damned plus.

Well, I just asked them as I'm typing this up. Don't really think they considered it as a mecha (or at least in line of what was being showcased), but they're willing to rewatch it the least because they loved it.

Branduil

Official Unofficial Non Non Biyori Viewer's Guide:

Funky Adventures on Renge Mountain

iKkDzWoJsxUOZ.jpg

Episodes 1, 4, 5A, 6A, 6C, 7B, 8C, 9, 10, 12B

Fun with Bro's Family and Co.

Episodes 2A, 3, 5C, 6B, 7A, 8A, 8D, 11A, 11C

Hotarun Hell

Episodes 2B, 5B, 8B, 11B, 12A

Visual guide:

cajunator

Banned
Well, I just asked them as I'm typing this up. Don't really think they considered it as a mecha (or at least in line of what was being showcased), but they're willing to rewatch it the least because they loved it.

Is not mecha no. But its like a space western which is a bit similar in scope to other sci fi shows of the time. Its worth your time thougH I think.

Link Man

Banned
Watch Urusei Yatsura or Maison Ikkoku instead. Why settle for Takahashi's worst when you can have her best?

Oh! And if it'll help your continuing quest for horror, Mermaid Forest TV might interest you. It's where Takahashi got to let out all her dark stuff and the last episode was withheld from TV broadcast.

Well, neither of those shows are available for streaming (officially) in the US, and they don't even have complete series box sets (or complete seasons, for that matter).

Kanon 18
Well I gotta admit, I actually like her story part.
Not as emotional as the others but still good enough to bring a smile to my face.
I'm surprised this show can get kinda dark at times.
And again, another mystery solved.

sonicmj1

Rozen Maiden Z 13 - END

So half of this episode is a very satisfying denouement to Jun's development over the course of the show, and the other half is establishing more magical doll bullshit for the next season of the anime manga.

I'm really hard on all the doll stuff, but it actually is intertwined with Jun's story in a number of ways that make them inseparable most of the time. Because there are really two aspects to his maturity. One is learning how to take his past experiences and use them to learn and grow, which is paralleled in how Suigintou changes, and in Shinku's monologues. The other is realizing that he has the power to choose his own path in life, and make meaningful decisions, which begins with his choice to create the doll. Besides the twins, it generally works well. I just kind of wish this anime could end with his story, instead of having to continue the Alice Game.

Sum Up:

I kind of started to glaze over it in my impressions, but Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen is an impeccably directed show from beginning to end. Series director Hatakeyama first showed off his ability in the early episodes of Sankarea, but here he's able to take that talent and spread it across an entire series. The way every moment is framed evokes the character's moods, and brings across themes of emotional isolation, loneliness, powerlessness, and self-loathing, as well as moments of warmth and companionship.

The controversial thing, and what stopped me from beginning this before my watch-bet, is the show's connection to the larger storyline of the Alice Game. I can only speak as someone with no prior Rozen Maiden experience, but I had a very difficult time connecting with the troubles of the various dolls and their masters, and their fight with Kirakushou never meant anything to me. It's an unavoidable consequence of dropping the viewer in the middle of a plot in progress. The one exception was Suigintou, whose relationship with her sickly master was handled with flashbacks pretty masterfully.

Luckily, the immediate consequences of the doll game plot are pretty closely tied to Jun's story, so I always felt at least some stake in what was going on. And his development from shy, introverted, lonely NEET to prospective savior of the multiverse is great to see. I like how the relationship dynamics at his job evolve over the course of the show, and the In-Store Broadcast episode previews were always fun to listen to.

I don't think I enjoyed Rozen Maiden as much as some here (it might crack the outside edge of my 2013 top 10), but it definitely deserves more recognition. There's great direction and a realistic, troubled lead for the highbrow set, and cute doll girls for the moe types. There's really something for everyone.

Indisputably Accurate Doll Ranking:
Kanaria > Suigintou > Shinku >> Souseiseki >>> Hina-Ichigo > Kirakushou >>>>> Suiseiseki

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hoozuki no Reitetsu Episode 9:

The theme of the episodes this week was alcohol and how even in the afterlife there are many who don't know how to handle it.

Branduil

Rozen Maiden Z 13 - END

Indisputably Accurate Doll Ranking:
Kanaria > Suigintou > Shinku >> Souseiseki >>> Hina-Ichigo > Kirakushou >>>>> Suiseiseki

The only places I'd really disagree on is first and last. Kanaria is a reasonable choice, but obviously I'd place Suigintou ahead of her as the more interesting character. I'd also put Hina Ichigo below Suiseiseki,
you were fortunate not to see too much of her.

I hope Hatakeyama can work on something even better next time.

Nisokei anime is very pleasing to the eye, never read the manga but i like what i see so far.

completly forgot the same guy did Double Arts manga that got cancelled with the quickness lol

sonicmj1

The only places I'd really disagree on is first and last. Kanaria is a reasonable choice, but obviously I'd place Suigintou ahead of her as the more interesting character. I'd also put Hina Ichigo below Suiseiseki,

This is sensible analysis, but the list is indisputably accurate. I'm sorry.

cnet128

Banned
Kyou should have won in Clannad and not Nagisa.

The problem with Kyou is, she's completely redundant because Ryou is so much better.

But then Ryou's OTP is Nagisa, so pairing her with the MC would be silly.

I think we can all agree that Nagisa was the worst choice, at least.

Nawwwww, Nagisa was the correct choice. Worst choice is Tomoyo, who is just boring with no redeeming features.

The only girls who are better than Nagisa are Fuuko and Mei, and neither of those work as well as Nagisa does as actual pairings for the MC, so Nagisa route is clearly correct route. Plus, you know, the whole of After Story depends on Nagisa winning and After Story is best Clannad.

Nagi no Asukara 22
So Manaka has lost several of her memories and the ability to love. Good for the Hikari x Miuna pairing.

You don't actually believe that, do you? Any kind of Manaka-related drama is bad for the best pairing because as long as she's in trouble there is zero chance of Hikari getting the fuck over her and pursuing new romantic frontiers.

I finished Higurashi Kai.

Thank you, CNet.

You are most welcome =D (Now watch Rei!)

Heartcatch Precure! 31

Turns out part of the reason for Yuri's continued depression is that she
lost her fairy
. Now I have to wonder what happened to it.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was turned into one of the bad guys somehow, perhaps the Dark Precure herself, though it could just be a simple case of being taken captive or whatever.

Also in this episode, both the bad guys and the good guys get a powerup. Bad guys get DARK BRACELET, which lets them power up their Desatorians into extra-angry Desatorians. Good guys learn to combine their finishers into PRECURE SHINING FORTISSIMO, which defeats extra-angry Desatorians. It's official at this point, Cure Sunshine is basically Shiny Luminous done right.

Meanwhile, Tsubomi has decided she's going to get Yuri to take part in their fashion show for the school festival. This is a most excellent idea. Tsubomi is such a lovely MC.

cnet128

Banned
I don't understand how anyone could hate her, aside from breast jealousy.

Hear, hear! I mean, Hotaru probably is one of the weakest characters in the show, but that's only because the others are so good, not because she's bad. Hotaru is a lot of fun to watch. So many good scenes between her and Komari.

cnet128

Banned
hotaru is a bit too one note for my tastes

Hmmmm, I wonder if the people who hate Hotaru are the same people who hate Benio-sama.

I mean, I suppose I could probably check for myself, but keeping track of who's who in GAF isn't exactly my forte >.>

Hmmmm, I wonder if the people who hate Hotaru are the same people who hate Benio-sama.

I mean, I suppose I could probably check for myself, but keeping track of who's who in GAF isn't exactly my forte >.>

I'm a Benio hater and didn't mind Hotaru. They are completely different types of characters, Hotaru isn't the loud and obnoxious type.

cnet128

Banned
A bit of quick searching seems to indicate that most of the Benio haters actually didn't even watch Non Non Biyori (Envelope, Woofington, madp, Cain). The only Benio haters I could find who actually watched it were KirbYayoi (who isn't keen on Hotaru but doesn't hate her) and Basileus (who just said he doesn't mind Hotaru).

So I guess so much for finding a correlation there. Maybe the correlation is between hating Benio and just not liking nice things in general.

i don't even know who you're talking about. ouran?

No, Mikakunin, the best show of the season =D

Thoraxes

Chuu2 S2 - 09

Tohka

s1dMTQX.gif

Also fucking Kyoani, playing with my heart with my top anime weakness. It's like they wanted to break my feelings on purpose ;______;

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kill la Kill 21

Yep, that was about as hype as I'd expected.

Chuunibyou Ren 9

Aw shit, here comes the love triangle. It kinda feels like an artificial way to create drama for the last few episodes, given that we've been told for 9 episodes now that Shichimiya doesn't really have feelings for Yuuta anymore, but hey, whatever. I guess it works. Also, man, I totally thought they were serious about Toka having a daughter for a moment there.

Also, once again, it becomes clear that CR has multiple subbers on Chuuni who don't share notes. This week, "Kumin-senpai" is translated as "Upperclassman Kumin" where it hadn't been before, and "Banishment This World" is now "Banishment Zuiss World". Come on, subbers. A little consistency, please.

zeroshiki

desu desu desu desu

I hope Hatakeyama can work on something that is not tied down with continuity and bullshit. (I say this as someone who enjoyed the first couple of Rozen Maiden series)

Log Horizon 22

log-horizon-akatsuki.gif

Oh, I guess even LH has to save up and use a quota of anime bullshit. Zzzzz. Relaxing episode, but nothing unique apart from some minor characterwork (Akatsuski appearing from beneath the desk was hilarious) and some generic romance angst.

I really wish they'd made Akatsuki's appearance less childlike. It's hard to imagine that she's somewhere around Shiroe's age. I think she's a late college student or something?
That is the result of an appearance changing potion..... we should be happy that the "random " gave her a female body because otherwise she would be stuck in a male body with even more stupid parametters.
Also we all should be glad that this episode didn't evolve in drama

I finished Higurashi Kai.

Thank you, CNet.
? But you still have kei ( or is it rei ? ) to watch .

What was wrong with Hotaru in NNB?

Nothing.

Jintor

I still don't know if appearances in LH are in some way related to (formerly IRL) appearances. I'd hazard a guess at probably not, considering Chief is around and I'm hopeful he wasn't a 7-foot-tall cat person in reality, but who knows. They always represent Shiroe and Naotsuga similarly in the imagine spots when they're showing metaphors about how the game used to work before the Cataclysm or The Tragedy or whatever the hell their soul transfer thingy was called, but I've never been entirely sure if that was just representative or literal.

Quasar

Hear, hear! I mean, Hotaru probably is one of the weakest characters in the show, but that's only because the others are so good, not because she's bad. Hotaru is a lot of fun to watch. So many good scenes between her and Komari.

Yeah. Pretty much my feeling. Though I think I prefer her over Komari, who just had being short as her defining characteristic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom