• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zj0vWEu.jpg

Terrible animation. Perfect Avatar.

Jintor

Yeah. Pretty much my feeling. Though I think I prefer her over Komari, who just had being short as her defining characteristic.

To me, any scene where characters devolved into being about a specific 'gimmick' (apart from bro) detracted a lot from what I really liked about Non Non Biyori, which was the idea that these characters seemed multi-dimensional and, well, 'real' - for lack of a better term. Komari was great when she was trying to juggle being a sister, being the mature one, still being playful, yet not being taken entirely seriously. But if she was only focusing on how short she was, it wasn't nearly as amusing.

I still don't know if appearances in LH are in some way related to (formerly IRL) appearances. I'd hazard a guess at probably not, considering Chief is around and I'm hopeful he wasn't a 7-foot-tall cat person in reality, but who knows. They always represent Shiroe and Naotsuga similarly in the imagine spots when they're showing metaphors about how the game used to work before the Cataclysm or The Tragedy or whatever the hell their soul transfer thingy was called, but I've never been entirely sure if that was just representative or literal.

Not at all , apparances could be changed at the start of the game like any MMO . Nyanta is a different case since he is heavily roleplaying. He picked the race, loved it and started nya~all the way ... kinda how akatsuki is roleplaying the Master-servant relationship with shiroe that's how they want to experience the game world , and it's a unwritted rule to let people roleplay do their thing. It's been a while since i've read some info but i seem to remember than nyanta picked that race especially because it would give him an escuse to roleplay "cat" as possible.

In short , some people have a character very close to what they look in reality ( shiroe for example , or serara or the 2 twins) and some character ( you've seen or you'll see in the next episode ) don't have such builds, they have fantasy builds even if they don't roleplay a character i want to give names but it might be spoilers.
Some characters on the japan server are still struck in a opposite gender body like akatsuki was ( the potion shiroe gave her was that rare ).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Chuunibyou Ren 9

Also, once again, it becomes clear that CR has multiple subbers on Chuuni who don't share notes. This week, "Kumin-senpai" is translated as "Upperclassman Kumin" where it hadn't been before, and "Banishment This World" is now "Banishment Zuiss World". Come on, subbers. A little consistency, please.
Is it even "banishment"?

wsippel

Banned
I actually wasn't expecting the massive backlash after I watched the episode until I went on Gaf (well, I kind of did for the first few minutes). I liked this episode more than 20, which was pretty well-liked.
I think a lot of people have a hard time coping with the fact that Kill la Kill really seems to be Trigger's take on a straight forward battle shonen (though with Imaishi, anything can happen - even with just three episodes left). But I really enjoy it for what it is. We have Samurai Flamenco for crazy mindfucks and serial escalation.

Samurai Flamenco Episode 17
Ofcourse they arent the final enemy, and what is flamenco! is this like "the will of D" shit!?
Kinda, but more crazy. Which shouldn't really surprise anyone considering it's Samurai Flamenco.

Branduil

I don't understand how anyone could hate her, aside from breast jealousy.

|
|
|
V

To me, any scene where characters devolved into being about a specific 'gimmick' (apart from bro) detracted a lot from what I really liked about Non Non Biyori, which was the idea that these characters seemed multi-dimensional and, well, 'real' - for lack of a better term. Komari was great when she was trying to juggle being a sister, being the mature one, still being playful, yet not being taken entirely seriously. But if she was only focusing on how short she was, it wasn't nearly as amusing.

She's an unfunny joke character in an otherwise quirky but down-to-earth comedy. Her one-dimensional behavior, appearance, etc., all betray the extremely artificial and contrived nature of her character. You might say that Bro is also a one-joke character, but the difference with him is that his joke isn't stretched out to entire segments, and the humor involving him is actually well-executed.

I think a lot of people have a hard time coping with the fact that Kill la Kill really seems to be Trigger's take on a straight forward battle shonen (though with Imaishi, anything can happen - even with just three episodes left). But I really enjoy it for what it is. We have Samurai Flamenco for crazy mindfucks and serial escalation.

I don't think it being a straight forward battle shonen is the reason behind the dissatisfaction with the show in this thread. What most here complain about is shallow characterization, lack of meaningful plot movement, and creepy fanservice/titillation shots. Were is a well executed (or well animated) battle shonen, it'd be much better received here.

duckroll

Not to mention every single dub-only watcher on GAF will have literally nothing else to vote for. Space Dandy not winning is mathematically impossible.

You're assuming that people who only watch one show and don't really care for anime will bother to vote at all. That has never been the case.

wsippel

Banned
I don't think it being a straight forward battle shonen is the reason behind the dissatisfaction with the show in this thread. What most here complain about is shallow characterization, lack of meaningful plot movement, and creepy fanservice/titillation shots.
So it's just like any other battle shonen?

Midonin

Kill La Kill 21

I'm still enjoying the show, but it's been delayed more often than it's aired on time lately. As for the episode itself, Mako remains my favorite character. All that fanart putting everyone in Senketsu is more or less coming true at this point. Satsuki did make me wonder what would happen if the two scissors ever came together - and I think I just figured out what direction the finale's going to go.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Match and already talk about AotY...

Did you lot not learn your lesson from last year where you were basically wrong with all your predictions?

Match and already talk about AotY...

Did you lot not learn your lesson from last year where you were basically wrong with all your predictions?

The speculation wasn't really that wrong, other the Yamato dark horse that no one saw coming. KLK and AoT both placed very highly as everyone expected. Other than FtNW and Yamato, the top 10 wasn't really surprising at all.

sonicmj1

So it's just like any other battle shonen?

My problem with Ryuuko isn't that she's shallow, but that I don't feel like her personal stake in things is well established. A lot of shonen protagonists want to be the strongest out of some deep-rooted sense of moral justice, or a history of being ignored, or something like that. Ryuuko has a similar motivation, but the show never bothered to set it up early on, so I never really connected to it, and that made the revenge stuff and everything else seem more like tantrums than things she deeply cared about. That made it harder to root for her success.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The speculation wasn't really that wrong, other the Yamato dark horse that no one saw coming. KLK and AoT both placed very highly as everyone expected. Other than FtNW and Yamato, the top 10 wasn't really surprising at all.
Actually KLK came out of nowhere too. It scored highly because of the quantity of votes. A lot of so-so rankings but enough to push it to the top. AoT got all the focus because people were certain it would be number one from a lot of number 1s. It only got fourth place even being beaten by a show no one even considered. And then we have the Flowers of Evil at number five which people were certain wouldn't even crack the top ten because "everyone" hated the art style and wrote it off after episode one.

But honestly the worse aspect of speculating AotY in March? It's March. You have the rest of the year to go!

cnet128

Banned
So I was just playing Meteo Impact in Band Bros P, and two things occurred to me:

1) This song sounds remarkably similar at certain points to the wonderful Happy Bite, and might be the source of the strange sense of deja vu I occasionally experience when listening to that latter song. (Happy Bite is better though) EDIT: Actually, I think it might be Kaerimichi it's reminding me of. Either way. Wonderful Mayoi themes are wonderful.
2) Kousaki Satoru's indefinite break from composing is a goddamn tragedy.

Jarmel

Banned

I'm fine with battle shounens. There are two problems with KLK though. The first is that the action has been awful so far. If you're going to focus on battles, then you gotta make it fun to watch. The last episode was like watching an old man trying to get an erection up but after trying for half an hour, just gives up and cries in the corner. The storyboarding and animation has been piss poor on the show as a whole.

The second is the characterization or lack therof. There isn't a strong connection to Ryuuko other than the fact that she exists and she's a lead character. The other characters are shallow as fuck as well but at least they're fun to watch unlike Shadow the Hedgehog. The show keep trying to make it about the Salvation of Ryuuko but she's not a good character and so she becomes the ball chain around the show's neck, dragging it under the sea.

Samurai Flamenco 19

Passed out last night before I could give my impressions. Just going to toss everything into spoiler tags.

While I enjoyed the partial return to form, I figured some twist had to happen with three episodes left. If they're able to fit a space battle in a single episode, I expect they can fit a few more twists in the final few episodes. Curious if we'll be heading back to alien territory or if it's just going to be some crazy ass regular people.

Also what the fuck at Goto's girlfriend. It says something about the show where, of all the crazy theories people had about the girlfriend, the most simple solution was the one I thought wouldn't happen. But it did. Goto's got problems and needs some mental help. But not from Mari, which the show is possibly suggesting. I feel like Mari is the only character that they tried to develop her character, but she refused to change. I thought Moe finally would get to be happy, but once again she's pushed aside by Mari's selfishness. Goto is obviously still very attached to his girlfriend and needs some professional help to get through this. If they pull some "Power of Love" bullshit right at the end I swear to God. Someone refresh my memory, has Mari EVER cared about someone else's well-being over the past 19 episodes? I thought she would have learned something from the whole King Torture incident but obviously not.

I'm not mad, really. I'm just afraid of a show that I've been thoroughly enjoying so far ending on a (personally) unsatisfying note.

vareon

Samurai Flamenco 19

Shit production values aside, the twist was handled perfectly (again?).

Guess they're keeping things open with
Goto's girlfriend being missing, not dead. Though I won't be surprised if she will still be missing by the end of the series.

cajunator

Banned
Hear, hear! I mean, Hotaru probably is one of the weakest characters in the show, but that's only because the others are so good, not because she's bad. Hotaru is a lot of fun to watch. So many good scenes between her and Komari.

I dont hate Hotaru. shes just the least likeable character in a series full of better ones.

posted? AOTY mangaka-san to assistant-san to first pv
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0E-c7pkyO4

barely shows anything.

This seems highly relevant to my interests from what I can see.

So not a case that my tastes are completely out of step with everyone else's. Though on the other hand I seem to be the only one who doesn't mind Ryuko in Kill la Kill.

I liked Ryuko enough to order a figurine of her. Usually for me thats a vote of confidence.

NeonZ

That is the result of an appearance changing potion..... we should be happy that the "random " gave her a female body because otherwise she would be stuck in a male body with even more stupid parametters.
Also we all should be glad that this episode didn't evolve in drama

I don't think the potion's appearance change was random, she chose her current appearance. Also, considering how she had balance problems in the taller body, but immediately adapted to her current one, it's likely that she has similar proportions in reality.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hmmmm, I wonder if the people who hate Hotaru are the same people who hate Benio-sama.

I mean, I suppose I could probably check for myself, but keeping track of who's who in GAF isn't exactly my forte >.>

Oh, does this mean that Hotaru is also a predatory molester who gets a pass because she's a cute female?

*saves Branduil's guide*

cajunator

Banned
Oh I forgot to post this cause I totally fell asleep on my comfy futon watching:

Full Metal Panic 05

Shit just got real.
The Whispered is some sort of secret organization or project.
This show is one of those "protect the girl with special secret powers or abilities" sorta thing.
I like these. Elemental Gelade was a fun one.
Also hand drawn mechas and planes. This must have been the final throes of that lost art.

The second is the characterization or lack therof. There isn't a strong connection to Ryuuko other than the fact that she exists and she's a lead character. The other characters are shallow as fuck as well but at least they're fun to watch unlike Shadow the Hedgehog. The show keep trying to make it about the Salvation of Ryuuko but she's not a good character and so she becomes the ball chain around the show's neck, dragging it under the sea.

This particular episode actually felt pretty satifying
with Ryuuko as the heel. All of a sudden there aren't any questions about empathy and there isn't any ambiguity about who she is or what she should be doing. Her mannerisms and voice acting played way better into being a ruthless subordinate of Ragyo who had succumbed to temptation; her overwhelming strength relative to most of the cast is now sort of compelling, since as the viewer you wonder exactly how Satsuki is going to overcome it, and the whole situation of generally not handling her emotions like a hero and brushing everyone away to do what she wanted yet again actually ending with her as an antagonist is both tragic and just desserts. On top of that, the action in this episode almost gave Satsuki some definition because she's finally being out-played and out-thought and generally not existing as -the best- in combat, even if it wasn't at the macro-level.

Of course, now that's all over and Ryuuko is boring again.

I think the last show I watched that tried to
blatantly take raw elements of the MC and turn them into a convincing heel
was King Gainer. Though that was also a pretty short-lived run.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic 05

Shit just got real.
The Whispered is some sort of secret organization or project.
This show is one of those "protect the girl with special secret powers or abilities" sorta thing.
I like these. Elemental Gelade was a fun one.
Also hand drawn mechas and planes. This must have been the final throes of that lost art.

Considering the CGI Submarine, it's that much more impressive that Gonzo drew the mechs.

Anyway finished Madoka 3 last night. Someone please don't let them make more movies.

Anyway finished Madoka 3 last night. Someone please don't let them make more movies.

I expected more of an outburst from you given the ending, but I guess that's what happens when you weren't as much in love with the show as many others were, along with myself.

And sorry Corvo, the reason Madoka 3 ended like that was for the sole purpose so that they could make more movies. And I despise it for that.

This movie should have just been the final chapter. An epilogue of sorts, to serve as the final pages of an already great story. I would hate the movie much less if it
ended with Madoka taking Homura to magical girl heaven or whatever. But no. They had to turn Homura into frigging Lelouch Vi Britannia for the sole purpose of milking this franchise for all its worth. No. Just no.

But enough about megucas. Time for me to watch Samurai Flamenco.

CorvoSol

I expected more of an outburst from you given the ending, but I guess that's what happens when you weren't as much in love with the show as many others were, along with myself.

And sorry Corvo, the reason Madoka 3 ended like that was for the sole purpose so that they could make more movies. And I despise it for that.

This movie should have just been the final chapter. An epilogue of sorts, to serve as the final pages of an already great story. I would hate the movie much less if it
ended with Madoka taking Homura to magical girl heaven or whatever. But no. They had to turn Homura into frigging Lelouch Vi Britannia for the sole purpose of milking this franchise for all its worth. No. Just no.

I suppose I just couldn't bring myself to flip tables when I couldn't see the reason for the movie to exist in the first place.

jman2050

I say they should make as many movies as they can realistically manage.

Maybe a second season too, who knows!

You can have less than none?

Ryou manages that somehow.

I say they should make as many movies as they can realistically manage.

Maybe a second season too, who knows!

They kind of have no choice but to make another movie or season now because they cannot say the franchise is over with Rebellion's ending. It's just unacceptable.

Also, don't expect too much from any future sequels because Gen Urobuchi announced that he has written all there is too it for Madoka and will most likely not work with it anymore.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I still don't know if appearances in LH are in some way related to (formerly IRL) appearances. I'd hazard a guess at probably not, considering Chief is around and I'm hopeful he wasn't a 7-foot-tall cat person in reality, but who knows. They always represent Shiroe and Naotsuga similarly in the imagine spots when they're showing metaphors about how the game used to work before the Cataclysm or The Tragedy or whatever the hell their soul transfer thingy was called, but I've never been entirely sure if that was just representative or literal.

Super late but shiroe has stated that his appearance in LH is mostly the same as he is in real life, also the armor dude I believe said he was mostly the same aswell, the 3 leads we know for sure look atleast close to their appearance in the game.

Hmmmm, I wonder if the people who hate Hotaru are the same people who hate Benio-sama.

I mean, I suppose I could probably check for myself, but keeping track of who's who in GAF isn't exactly my forte >.>

For different reasons

Heartcatch Precure! 31

Turns out part of the reason for Yuri's continued depression is that she
lost her fairy
. Now I have to wonder what happened to it.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was turned into one of the bad guys somehow, perhaps the Dark Precure herself, though it could just be a simple case of being taken captive or whatever.

Also in this episode, both the bad guys and the good guys get a powerup. Bad guys get DARK BRACELET, which lets them power up their Desatorians into extra-angry Desatorians. Good guys learn to combine their finishers into PRECURE SHINING FORTISSIMO, which defeats extra-angry Desatorians. It's official at this point, Cure Sunshine is basically Shiny Luminous done right.

Meanwhile, Tsubomi has decided she's going to get Yuri to take part in their fashion show for the school festival. This is a most excellent idea. Tsubomi is such a lovely MC.

Hint: The answer is within 3 episodes.

jman2050

They kind of have no choice but to make another movie or season now because they cannot say the franchise is over with Rebellion's ending. It's just unacceptable.

Well it's not like I ever had any doubts that they would continue the story, given that the franchise is set to remain is cash cow territory for the forseeable future.

Also, don't expect too much from any future sequels because Gen Urobuchi announced that he has written all there is too it for Madoka and will most likely not work with it anymore.

I don't exactly have any expectations for something that doesn't yet exist outside of "I really liked the movie, I hope it ends up being just as good or better."

Samurai Flamenco - 1

Gintoki is a cop who runs into a wannabe superhero that thinks he can be a real one by levelling up little by little as if it were a game, comparing the entire thing to curry in the process.

Ok then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom