• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Silver Spoons is seriously some good stuff, how close is the anime to the manga? What are we talking here in terms of a season 3?

Silver Spoons is seriously some good stuff, how close is the anime to the manga? What are we talking here in terms of a season 3?

I haven't seen the show so don't quote me, but from discussions here and there it seems it's following the manga as closely as Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was (which is to say it's following it verbatim)

The manga is pretty far away, there should be more than enough material for a third season. The thing about this manga it's that it's hard to know exactly what the end point for it is since the author has never really given it. I'm loving it to death though.

foxuzamaki

I haven't seen the show so don't quote me, but from discussions here and there it seems it's following the manga as closely as Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was (which is to say it's following it verbatim)

The manga is pretty far away, there should be more than enough material for a third season. The thing about this manga it's that it's hard to know exactly what the end point for it is since the author has never really given it. I'm loving it to death though.

Well its good to know theres plenty of material left, im surprised honestly, didnt she start this in like 2009 or 2010? the way producers do manga that started around those times they can catch up to it in 20 something episodes, in some cases even the teens.

Well its good to know theres plenty of material left, im surprised honestly, didnt she start this in like 2009 or 2010? the way producers do manga that started around those times they can catch up to it in 20 something episodes, in some cases even the teens.

Maybe I misspoke as I don't remember when the events in the latest episode happened. But the manga is at least decently far because (late season 2show spoilers)
I recall the friend losing his ranch, and he really doesn't show up again for a while there
. Plus a lot of stuff happens. I don't know if it's enough for a full third season just yet, but it might be close.

Mature

From the New World 10

Yay!!! And finally!!!

Powers are explained and so are Karmic Demons. I always knew
Saki and Shun loved each other
. It screamed it even if episode 8 happened.

Was an intense first few minutes and last few minutes. Although I am pretty sad that
they implied that Shun dies
. I am not wholly convinced but I mean it could be the case. If the show has taught me anything it is to take nothing at face value.
Shun could very well still be alive

I don't know where Saki and the group go from here but it should be interesting.

I think this episode would've been much more emotionally impactful if Saki and Shun were together before all this happened but whatever.
Episodes like this one are why the show is as good as it is. They're also probably why it sold so poorly.

Haven't watched this week's episode yet but with last week's episode
the whole losing the farm
starts the Winter arc of the manga.

That's around chapter 63-64. We're up to around chapter 96 or so so there's a good bunch of winter left unadapted.

Kinda surprised that they are going to go into the Winter arc though to begin with.

foxuzamaki

Maybe I misspoke as I don't remember when the events in the latest episode happened. But the manga is at least decently far because (late season 2show spoilers)
I recall the friend losing his ranch, and he really doesn't show up again for a while there
. Plus a lot of stuff happens. I don't know if it's enough for a full third season just yet, but it might be close.

Well in the latest episode which is episode 9
He lost his ranch and is now going to get a part time job, yugo got aki to open up to him and tell him anything when she is feeling down or whatever, and the episode ends on aki saying she doesnt want to inherent the farm.
Haven't watched this week's episode yet but with last week's episode
the whole losing the farm
starts the Winter arc of the manga.

That's around chapter 63-64. We're up to around chapter 96 or so so there's a good bunch of winter left unadapted.

Kinda surprised that they are going to go into the Winter arc though to begin with.
Yeah thats alot of material left, pretty great.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Strike the Blood 22

This fucking show. I can't.

- So are all the people on the ship just...dead? I mean, the whole ship was frozen!
- And for that matter, did...did they just forget Asagi in the middle of some burning rubble?
- This arc was just kinda terrible in general. It felt SUPER short, even shorter than the previous three episode arc (which of course was made to feel longer by being basically a prologue to a four episode arc. At least Kou was the best-designed villain they've had so far.
- Okay, mini-Nina is kawaii as fuck, yo.
- Random La Folia and Sayaka appearances because can't have the viewers forgetting they exist. Surprised Yuuma didn't make an obligatory cameo because reasons.
- HOLY FUCK am I ever sick of the "This is my fight!" "No Senpai, this is OUR fight!" line. It's so goddamn cliched and predictable at this point.
- So Kojou's new familiar is basically Orihime's Sōten Kisshun from Bleach.
- Did, uh...did Nagisa basically make out with her brother there? I mean sure, he was turned into metal, and she was possessed, but...
- A two-episode anime-original arc to wrap up the series? Why do I feel like this is going to be even heavier on the harem shit than usual?

I just don't know...

tpeTvqw.jpg
sGI7Yl8.jpg
WTUINm9.jpg
GZbMWd4.jpg

No-rin 10

Blessed Becky being marvelous as always.

Cracked up when she started started shouting "I'm single!"

Oppai's dere mode was shining brightly this episode.

She has my full support and I hope for all the best.

Kei's dad shows up and proves to be a legit boss.

Should have known his old man would've been even more amazing than him.

And I can't forget to mention the equal fanservice that would make DTL proud.

CorvoSol

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 16

"A 24 meter slick, smooth shaft!?"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. The unspoken goal of this show is to pump as many homoerotic puns through the viewer's veins as it can.

Prelude.

Sorry for the OT but I think a lot of the people in this thread might be interested in this.
In short, I started a wikia about dual/japanese audio games so check it out and contribute if you want.

duckroll

Magi S2 - Episode 19-21

I tried to catch up on all the episodes, but I don't think I can carry on right now. Will probably watch 22-23 tomorrow when this week's episode is out. It's not super awful, just.... everything I expected basically. This was the worst part of the arc in the manga, and it seems that the anime staff which did a pretty commendable job on the arc up until now have also fallen. Production quality has crashed through the floor, lots of bad art, sloppy animation, boring action, tons of lame posing, etc. The Djinn Equip designs were really dumb looking in the manga, and they look even stupider here fully colored and animated. Lol.

I will say this though, when they're not posing and spamming special attacks like every other inferior shounen action show, the story is still really compelling. Aladdin talking about Alma Toran, the short Scheherazade flashback showing the first king of Leam, and the entire sequel showing Kouha's building his followers and talking to the Djinn, those were all great moments. The diversity of the cast in Magi and the effort put into letting the characters who lead have proper backstories, personalities, and motivations is what makes the world feel compelling while giving the entire story a richer depth to it. Too bad the rest of this season is just going to be shounen fight shit with pretty guys in really stupid costumes standing around spamming special attacks at faceless monsters while posing though! Lulz.

cajunator

Banned
I'm current watching the nisemonogatari in blu-ray ...

I just started tsuhiki phoenix ....

It's ... Better in blu-ray !

I'll never underestimate the power of toothbrushes ever again !

Yes. Yes it is :D
plus can listen to Platinum disco over and over again and youtube cant do anything about it!

CorvoSol

Guys I have 0 experience with Sailor Moon and no real concrete memories of it.

Except that Sailor Saturn was my favorite. Judge me.

Magi S2 - Episode 19-21

I tried to catch up on all the episodes, but I don't think I can carry on right now. Will probably watch 22-23 tomorrow when this week's episode is out. It's not super awful, just.... everything I expected basically. This was the worst part of the arc in the manga, and it seems that the anime staff which did a pretty commendable job on the arc up until now have also fallen. Production quality has crashed through the floor, lots of bad art, sloppy animation, boring action, tons of lame posing, etc. The Djinn Equip designs were really dumb looking in the manga, and they look even stupider here fully colored and animated. Lol.

I will say this though, when they're not posing and spamming special attacks like every other inferior shounen action show, the story is still really compelling. Aladdin talking about Alma Toran, the short Scheherazade flashback showing the first king of Leam, and the entire sequel showing Kouha's building his followers and talking to the Djinn, those were all great moments. The diversity of the cast in Magi and the effort put into letting the characters who lead have proper backstories, personalities, and motivations is what makes the world feel compelling while giving the entire story a richer depth to it. Too bad the rest of this season is just going to be shounen fight shit with pretty guys in really stupid costumes standing around spamming special attacks at faceless monsters while posing though! Lulz.

I thought the story and such is really amazing certainly a bit more than the action was a bit, but Ren Kouha is amazing and Alibaba's new look, please just say if he gets to fight before the arc ends
and wont be cut off again from someone interfering
and also if Judar will do something more.

Lurky

Sakura Trick 10

Poor Mitsuki D: I hope her brain didn't melt after that. I seriously love Kaede. I can't believe that she
actually figured that Yuu and Haruka are dating.
She's just too awesome.

duckroll

I thought the story and such is really amazing certainly a bit more than the action was a bit, but Ren Kouha is amazing and Alibaba's new look, please just say if he gets to fight before the arc ends
and wont be cut off again from someone interfering
and also if Judar will do something more.

I don't remember exactly, but I think if you like the silly looking designs and the EXTREME MAGIC stuff, you'll get more than enough of that in the next few episodes. When I was reading the manga, I -wished- that someone would continue to interrupt... them.... all! Lol.

I really like the actual storytelling in Magi, so when the action actually gets in the way of it, I like it less. You'll get lots more action though, I just hope that in the last two episodes especially, they actually have good animation and effects again. Ep18 was pretty good, but everything since that has been really downhill. >___<

Future Card Buddyfight Episode 11: The Start of the Aibo Buddy Cup! (engDUB)
tumblr_n2gcn6hgvI1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_n2gcn6hgvI1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Who in the world is writing the lines? Baku's line "I like big blimps and I cannot lie," was just lol.

I think I might have to switch to team magic world for the deck of my choice. I liked danger world before but those three magic nights especially, Magic Knight of Light, Licht. He was the best. The others were great too: Magic Knight of Darkness, Dunkleheit, and Magical of Glass, Will Glassart. And combined with the Great Spell Grandfather Clock, I think its been the best showing for a deck thus far
(ignoring plot kicking in for the benefit of Gao).
Fun episode and fun duel. Kind of want to hear Suzuha Amanosuzu in JPN just to hear if she laughs like most characters of her type do.

Strike the blood - 22

This episode followed the SAME template as the previous arc to a degree that is almost scary
It had a abnormal use of "sempai" and a "oh no sempai is dead" scene before the inevitable power-up ..

Surprisingly , this episode lacked the usual fanservice but i don't know if i should be surprised of disapointed.

I think i can predict the next arc quite well already.

Toradora 1

You know... after watching the dub trailer I wanted to watch this. I know this might be blasphemous to say this but I think I would prefer the dub. The Japanese cast isn't bad just that the English cast in that trailer actually sounded really good.

I don't know why but I was expecting a Slice of Life/Romantic anime and not a RomCom. Reason being was that people were always comparing Clannad to this. And while Clannad has it's RomCom moments it was mostly a drama/SoL/Romantic anime. So really comparing Toradora with Clannad might be a little unfair. The two are pretty different.

Funny thing is that I thrive on RomComs. Now I can see where RomCom SNAFU got some of it's inspiration from with its characters. It was a great first episode. Not as groundbreaking and masterpiece as people make the first episode out to be but good nonetheless. I am sure the greatness of the show comes later.

Very strong first episode though. Which is unusual because I am usually pretty mild going into the first episode of anything. Even my precious Angel Beats I was mild on the first episode. Only a handful of anime (Clannad, FMA, HOTD, Baka & Test, Kenichi, Death Note, etc etc) hook me on the first episode (hence why I made the TE Rule). So it's very good that this kind of got me on the first episode. Still wishing I can watch the dubbed version though...

duckroll

Silver Spoon is really close to the manga, but the adaptation does reorder things around or remove minor scenes occasionally to fit the pacing and flow into an animated medium. It's done really well though. As far as a season 3 goes, I'll say.... hope for the best and be prepared for the worst? The manga is very popular, but so far the adaptations are doing really poorly on their own, and don't seem to be improving manga sales much. The first season sold like crap, and the live action movie which just opened kinda tanked too. Not sure if they'll want to continue pumping money into projects like this at this rate.

If they do continue with another season anytime soon though, they'll be pretty much out of material by the end of that. If the manga keeps running regularly, it'll be at least another year before there's enough material for another 11 episode season beyond a third season.

foxuzamaki

Toradora 1

You know... after watching the dub trailer I wanted to watch this. I know this might be blasphemous to say this but I think I would prefer the dub. The Japanese cast isn't bad just that the English cast in that trailer actually sounded really good.

I don't know why but I was expecting a Slice of Life/Romantic anime and not a RomCom. Reason being was that people were always comparing Clannad to this. And while Clannad has it's RomCom moments it was mostly a drama/SoL/Romantic anime. So really comparing Toradora with Clannad might be a little unfair. The two are pretty different.

Funny thing is that I thrive on RomComs. Now I can see where RomCom SNAFU got some of it's inspiration from with its characters. It was a great first episode. Not as groundbreaking and masterpiece as people make the first episode out to be but good nonetheless. I am sure the greatness of the show comes later.

Very strong first episode though. Which is unusual because I am usually pretty mild going into the first episode of anything. Even my precious Angel Beats I was mild on the first episode. Only a handful of anime (Clannad, FMA, HOTD, Baka & Test, Kenichi, Death Note, etc etc) hook me on the first episode (hence why I made the TE Rule). So it's very good that this kind of got me on the first episode. Still wishing I can watch the dubbed version though...

I suddenly feel like watching toradora for the first time.

foxuzamaki

Silver Spoon is really close to the manga, but the adaptation does reorder things around or remove minor scenes occasionally to fit the pacing and flow into an animated medium. It's done really well though. As far as a season 3 goes, I'll say.... hope for the best and be prepared for the worst? The manga is very popular, but so far the adaptations are doing really poorly on their own, and don't seem to be improving manga sales much. The first season sold like crap, and the live action movie which just opened kinda tanked too. Not sure if they'll want to continue pumping money into projects like this at this rate.

If they do continue with another season anytime soon though, they'll be pretty much out of material by the end of that. If the manga keeps running regularly, it'll be at least another year before there's enough material for another 11 episode season beyond a third season.
You're killing me, bro.
Ok I will

I suddenly feel like watching toradora for the first time.

It's on Crunchyroll. That's the only reason I started. The trailer looked good and it was conveniently on it. So I can watch it on my PS4. I look forward to getting it on Blu-ray but it's still pretty good looking on CR.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Can anyone comment on whether or not the dub or sub of The Wind Rises is regarded as superior? A theater within reasonable driving distance is finally showing it, so I'm going to see it next week. This theater is having one daily showing using the Japanese language track with English subtitles in addition to three daily showings of the English dub, so I'm not sure what to do.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Can anyone comment on whether or not the dub or sub of The Wind Rises is regarded as superior? A theater within reasonable driving distance is finally showing it, so I'm going to see it next week. This theater is having one daily showing using the Japanese language track with English subtitles in addition to three daily showings of the English dub, so I'm not sure what to do.

I think it might be worth seeing the Japanese version just to hear Hideaki Anno be totally in over his head.

duckroll

You're killing me, bro.

noitaminA is holding their annual press conference next week. We'll find out if Silver Spoon S3 exists this year by then. Even if it doesn't, if this season ends where I think it's going to end, I don't think you'll have anything to complain about. It should be a really, really powerful episode.

Narag

firehawk had some nice impressions regarding just that iirc. He watched both the same day and did a bit of comparing.

Branduil

I only watched the dub because I didn't want to hear Anno sleepwalk through his role. It was fine. Werner Herzog voices a German guy, LOL.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I suddenly feel like watching Toradora for the, uh *counts on fingers* sixth time?

I've only watched Toradora twice, but then I rarely rewatch things, and if I do it's usually only once. The only things I've rewatched to this day are Nichijou and Toradora. Fitting since they're my two favorite anime. Also kinda in the middle of rewatching K-ON!, but I'm taking my time on that one.

Midonin

Sakura Trick 10

The snow day segment was cute. Snow, romance and a remembrance of things lost. The themes worked together well enough. I liked the second segment a little more. A gym locker room isn't nearly as fun when it's only one person locked in there. You need two for things to get naughty. I like that nobody needed for them to say it - for once, somebody could see what was obvious.

Haruka's still going to trigger the flag for the sisters route. Why would you pass up that chance?

D-d-d-d-Dora
And now I have Bandora's theme in my head.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think it might be worth seeing the Japanese version just to hear Hideaki Anno be totally in over his head.

firehawk had some nice impressions regarding just that iirc. He watched both the same day and did a bit of comparing.

I only watched the dub because I didn't want to hear Anno sleepwalk through his role. It was fine. Werner Herzog voices a German guy, LOL.

Thanks guys!

So, firehawk thought Anno did a better job than JGL? Huh. I'm even less inclined to enjoy dub performances than most people so I might actually try and go for the Anno spectacle.

Branduil

Thanks guys!

So, firehawk thought Anno did a better job than JGL? Huh. I'm even less inclined to enjoy dub performances than most people so I might actually try and go for the Anno spectacle.

I didn't watch it in Japanese but from the previews I heard enough to think saying Anno>JGL is crazy, IMO. Not that that's saying a lot as some people here would probably be better than Anno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom