• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

I've only watched Toradora twice, but then I rarely rewatch things, and if I do it's usually only once. The only things I've rewatched to this day are Nichijou and Toradora. Fitting since they're my two favorite anime. Also kinda in the middle of rewatching K-ON!, but I'm taking my time on that one.

Let's see, I watched it for the first time in 2010, immediately watched it again, watched it a third time after reading the LNs, did one of those December rewatches a certain notorious web site likes to do yearly, and most recently watched it again with my little brother (who loved it. Oddly enough he was the one who found it and started watching it and I offered to join him a little later).

So yeah unless I missed something I counted correctly!

Toradora 1
I don't know why but I was expecting a Slice of Life/Romantic anime and not a RomCom. Reason being was that people were always comparing Clannad to this. And while Clannad has it's RomCom moments it was mostly a drama/SoL/Romantic anime. So really comparing Toradora with Clannad might be a little unfair. The two are pretty different

While the show remains largely a romcom, it has its dramatic scenes sprinkled all throughout and goes full-on drama near the end. Which honestly works out for the better as full-on drama can get tiring. At points I got tired of the melodrama but it was well done. The dub sounds really good though I agree, but the safer bet would be to watch it sub since it's pretty decent... even if Taiga's voice seems to work better for me in the dub.

I've only watched Toradora twice, but then I rarely rewatch things, and if I do it's usually only once. The only things I've rewatched to this day are Nichijou and Toradora. Fitting since they're my two favorite anime. Also kinda in the middle of rewatching K-ON!, but I'm taking my time on that one.

Yeah I have only watched Toradora like twice. I might give it another go eventually for the dub. I don't tend to rewatch shows unless I have a reason (watching it with friends) or I really love them. I've rewatched Cowboy Bebop, Baccano, Gurren Lagann, Attack on Titan and Psycho-Pass more times than I count. I want to rewatch The Last Airbender and Fate/Zero eventually too.

Articalys

Thanks guys!

So, firehawk thought Anno did a better job than JGL? Huh. I'm even less inclined to enjoy dub performances than most people so I might actually try and go for the Anno spectacle.
I saw the sub version and didn't really have a problem with Anno, but then again I watch so much anime I might just be far too used to characters whose voices don't exactly match their appearances.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I didn't watch it in Japanese but from the previews I heard enough to think saying Anno>JGL is crazy, IMO. Not that that's saying a lot as some people here would probably be better than Anno.
JGL didn't fit the character at all...

Pani Poni Dash! 24

JsBO9hP.jpg

A whole episode set in the edo period.

Becky is certainly a harsh commissioner. Tax on crying? Good thing people are fighting back. Poor rabbit always getting in the way though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
As opposed to an old man who isn't even an actor.
I didn't watch the Anno stuff. I'm sure he's probably a terrible actor, but at least his portrayal could potentially be a little more accurate in spirit. JGL's delivery always felt very boisterous.

Jumping the gun slightly, but details for the first two BD/DVD volumes of Date A Live II are up on the main site.

Vol 1 LE box cover (drawn by Tsunako, hook it to my veins etc):

Vol 1 regular cover:

FNiFtBT.jpg

The LE comes with a digipack for all 5 eventual volumes (below), plus a 148 page storyboard of episode 1. Release date is June 27.

Covers for vol 2 (left) and 'Spirit Treasure Hunt' (right; drawn by Tsunako). The latter's a mini-novel that'll be included with the vol 2 LE:

MNchYun.jpg
kU6FJqd.jpg

Release date is July 25. The vol 2 LE also comes with a ticket to the Date A Fes II event being held on December 14.

There's something about a director's cut for both volumes (vol 1 supposedly has 4 minutes of extra footage), but I'm not 100% sure on the details because google translate etc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No-rin 10
8XsKyjDl.jpg

Best cake.

You know, I never thought that I would get a story about the advantages of organic farming in an anime... nor would I have expected a last moment twist that almost shits over that concept entirely, to the point where that weird guy from Arjuna would probably just shoot himself out of shame.

Somehow they've made an anime about fanservice and farming ethics and it just works.

While the show remains largely a romcom, it has its dramatic scenes sprinkled all throughout and goes full-on drama near the end. Which honestly works out for the better as full-on drama can get tiring. At points I got tired of the melodrama but it was well done. The dub sounds really good though I agree, but the safer bet would be to watch it sub since it's pretty decent... even if Taiga's voice seems to work better for me in the dub.

Yeah I have only watched Toradora like twice. I might give it another go eventually for the dub. I don't tend to rewatch shows unless I have a reason (watching it with friends) or I really love them. I've rewatched Cowboy Bebop, Baccano, Gurren Lagann, Attack on Titan and Psycho-Pass more times than I count. I want to rewatch The Last Airbender and Fate/Zero eventually too.

This is my first time watching Toradora. Unlike everyone else though I like rewatching anime. I watch Clannad + After Story for the first time last March and I have rewatched it three times at least since then. But then I agree that I largely just rewatch only my favorite anime. But I got a long list of those so it's pretty daunting every year when I am finding anime to rewatch.

And Admiral, that's what I pretty much expect from the show. It's showed signs of that and that is honestly the roadmap to most RomCom's anyways. Which I don't mind cause I like that type of storytelling (clearly ;D).

But I don't expect Toradora to be better then After Story but like I said I don't expect or even want it to as they're both offering very different things. Obviously once I give Toradora some distance after I am done watching I will be able to better judge the two but I think both will probably go down as my two favorites. I know it's hasty saying that about Toradora, but I got a good feeling from it and I am finishing up episode 2 now and I am really enjoying it.

I just wish Clannad got as much love as I can see Toradora getting right this moment on AnimeGAF.

yBHpU3S.jpg
CEHLuDW.jpg

Strike the Blood 22

Shitty arc mercifully comes to close.

Only good things to come out of it were Folia's cameo and real maid Sayaka.

Actually watched the preview and it looks like they're adapting the side story?

Completely fine with it if that's how they want to end things.

Toradora 1

You know... after watching the dub trailer I wanted to watch this. I know this might be blasphemous to say this but I think I would prefer the dub. The Japanese cast isn't bad just that the English cast in that trailer actually sounded really good.

I don't know why but I was expecting a Slice of Life/Romantic anime and not a RomCom. Reason being was that people were always comparing Clannad to this. And while Clannad has it's RomCom moments it was mostly a drama/SoL/Romantic anime. So really comparing Toradora with Clannad might be a little unfair. The two are pretty different.

Funny thing is that I thrive on RomComs. Now I can see where RomCom SNAFU got some of it's inspiration from with its characters. It was a great first episode. Not as groundbreaking and masterpiece as people make the first episode out to be but good nonetheless. I am sure the greatness of the show comes later.

Very strong first episode though. Which is unusual because I am usually pretty mild going into the first episode of anything. Even my precious Angel Beats I was mild on the first episode. Only a handful of anime (Clannad, FMA, HOTD, Baka & Test, Kenichi, Death Note, etc etc) hook me on the first episode (hence why I made the TE Rule). So it's very good that this kind of got me on the first episode. Still wishing I can watch the dubbed version though...

This dub trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1usaM2XpHNc

Its alright... I guess... I dunno if its just me but Ryuuji (main male lead) sounded off compared to the sub.

Toradora 2

Yup. This is a RomCom alright.

Where to start? The
basketball hitting Taiga's face had me rolling for a good few minutes there
. Ryuji and Taiga
helping each other out for a while there was great to see and also kind of sweet
. The last several scenes were nice. There's not really a single character that annoys me so far which is rare.... (Okay I lied the mother and parrot annoy the hell out of me)... but out of the actual main cast everyone is pretty cool.

Let's just... tone down on the parrot. It feels out of place and it's kind of annoying. Mom I can deal with.

Edit: Oh I almost forgot. I freakin love the ED to this show. I just wish I felt the same for the OP. Not a fan.

This dub trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1usaM2XpHNc

Its alright... I guess... I dunno if its just me but Ryuuji (main male lead) sounded off compared to the sub.

Actually I think JYB voice fits remarkably well for Ryuji. His Japanese counterpart sounds a bit older then the character he's playing but different strokes.

That screenshot reminds me of how weird and washed-out CR's Toradora is. It's watchable, but the rather poor quality IS noticeable.

It's not from CR. It's from Google Image search. :p

jman2050

Actually I think JYB voice fits remarkably well for Ryuji. His Japanese counterpart sounds a bit older then the character he's playing but different strokes.

JYB voices Kitamura, some other dude voices Ryuuji.

Ryuuji's voice sounds like a young teenager which, well, that's what he is to be fair. But one of the key parts of Ryuuji's character is that he's supposed to look and sound intimidating even when he isn't trying to be and that doesn't really come across at all.

Same writer, yeah?

Yep. As far as I know this is what got her on the map. And honestly what will probably still be considered her best work. Not to say I don't really like Golden Time (koko for cocoa puffs) but Toradora is just that good.

edit: I know you're not a fan of GT, so you might take it with a grain of salt. But the protag for one thing doesn't have unlikable qualities imho. And again I like Banri when the drama isn't kicking in.

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic 23 - 25 (end) dubwatch rewatch

Watching it simultaneously with Kingdom of Magic really makes the story for Labyrinth seem really weak. It was still intriguing but some events just failed to ever reach the same level of seriousness and tragedy/suspense. Oh well that is just the nature of how stories change as they go on.

Favorite dub voices were Alibaba, probably Erik Scott Kimerer is becoming my favorite new voice in our english anime and he did a good job here. Judar was my favorite veteran voice actor completely making Judar such an incredibly joyous and even terrifyingly playful character throughout.

Good and worthwhile, maybe considering buying the anime if they rerelease on BD someday.

Branduil

Ryuuji's voice sounds like a young teenager which, well, that's what he is to be fair. But one of the key parts of Ryuuji's character is that he's supposed to look and sound intimidating even when he isn't trying to be and that doesn't really come across at all.

To be fair the show kind of forgot about that halfway through too.

Sound? I watched the first two episodes subbed so far and he just keeps commenting about "how he looks", "his face" and how he "inherited his dad's face". He never comments on how he sounds. People see him intimidating because of how he looks not because of how he sounds. When he speaks he speaks pretty softly and is a pretty sweet dude.

cajunator

Banned
Final confirmation from cajun, im doing it.

♥

Jumping the gun slightly, but details for the first two BD/DVD volumes of Date A Live II are up on the main site.

Vol 1 LE box cover (drawn by Tsunako, hook it to my veins etc):

Vol 1 regular cover:

FNiFtBT.jpg

The LE comes with a digipack for all 5 eventual volumes (below), plus a 148 page storyboard of episode 1. Release date is June 27.

Covers for vol 2 (left) and 'Spirit Treasure Hunt' (right; drawn by Tsunako). The latter's a mini-novel that'll be included with the vol 2 LE:

MNchYun.jpg
kU6FJqd.jpg

Release date is July 25. The vol 2 LE also comes with a ticket to the Date A Fes II event being held on December 14.

There's something about a director's cut for both volumes (vol 1 supposedly has 4 minutes of extra footage), but I'm not 100% sure on the details because google translate etc.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
*SQUEEEEEEEEEEEES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom