• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
So CR based a whole news post on a spreadsheet of anime from 2000 based on the source material from a reddit user.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...terial-for-anime-over-the-last-decade-charted

Interesting stuff. Though I wish it went further back, though I guess details of source material for older stuff is no as available.
Ani-May has been on an overall decline for me since 2007, not surprised to see that's when the overall amount if original works drastically fell.

zeroshiki

It most likely is as available and they just couldn't be bothered to research it.

Ani-May has been on an overall decline for me since 2007, not surprised to see that's when the overall amount if original works drastically fell.

This makes no sense. This isn't Gaming side. Anime has always been about adaptations. There are so few original anime that restricting the definition of quality to just original anime means you're not really watching very many shows.

Branduil

So CR based a whole news post on a spreadsheet of anime from 2000 based on the source material from a reddit user.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...terial-for-anime-over-the-last-decade-charted

Interesting stuff. Though I wish it went further back, though I guess details of source material for older stuff is no as available.

So basically the trend is that "book" adaptations are cannibalizing original anime. Unfortunately most of those "books" are LN drek.

Articalys

Personally I'd prefer if they didn't translate the titles at all because both are ugly.
Yeah, that'd certainly be the best case scenario.
Sure, the coloring and font are nice, but for some viewers the similar colors may blend into the original Japanese text making it more difficult to read. This is just an assumption as I too prefer unique typesetting.

What I do not like is any typesetting straight over the Japanese text. I may not be able to read Japanese yet, but I would at least like to be able to see it.
Fair point for the color and font, but I'd still argue it's nicer to have it next to the text it's translating rather than at the top of the screen no matter what. Agree with your second point wholeheartedly.

Quasar

This makes no sense. This isn't Gaming side. Anime has always been about adaptations. There are so few original anime that restricting the definition of quality to just original anime means you're not really watching very many shows.

That's part of why I wish the spreadsheet went further back. To see longer term trends.

zeroshiki

The last episode Ichiro Nagao voiced for Sazae-san featured a story where Namihei helped a drunk stranger who was lost and carried him to the station. Yes, that was what the episode was about. It rated 23.7% which is far and away the best ratings for any anime for the year. Unless NTV shows Spirited Away this year (and its possible they will since its "turn" is up), it will likely stay that way.

Articalys

Site update for Akuma no Riddle...
eqWoJR1.jpg
New key visual is much less yuri than the previous one.

Characters page on the site also has a ton of new designs.

I've also heard mixed opinions on if the manga is good or not, so we'll see.

I wouldn't say that. Correlation does not mean causation.

I think the two are only linked in that harsher economic realities make producers less willing to risk on unproven anime-original IPs and more likely to greenlight LN adaptations that are just supposed to advertise the books.

I'm trying to decide between which one I get first: Bravely Default, Rune Factory 4, Link Between Worlds, or Fire Emblem Awakening

This seems like an impossible decision.

They're all great. Rune Factory 4 especially is a time-sink. But it's hard to pick just one of them as I own all four.

cajunator

Banned
Love Lab > GJ-Bu > Yuru Yuri > Mikakunin

Best current studio? Best current studio

I dunno about best but they keep picking fun source material to adapt.

I'm trying to decide between which one I get first: Bravely Default, Rune Factory 4, Link Between Worlds, or Fire Emblem Awakening

link Between Worlds is AWESOME

Anyway, to continue my earlier complaints about typesetting, on one hand you have this...

A2uU5mq.jpg
1R7bQy6.jpg
MQlWUxS.jpg

XPvM9ZG.jpg

jSsBhjB.jpg

WJDQDv6.jpg

...formatted carefully with font, color, and placement to match the existing title. And that's when they even bother to typeset the title, which is something I think is unnecessary in the first place.

And on the other hand you have this lazy garbage:

Z9mihi6.jpg

Yf1876a.jpg

AkM6HNa.jpg

Can you really blame me for despairing whenever Funi picks up a series I like for simulcasting?

Actually, though its boring, the funimation is more professionally done. Its a simple no nonsense title translation whereas crunchyroll is guilty of the subs trying to be a decorative part of the title which fansubbbers in the past were accused of inflating their egos in so doing. Not that CR is doing it for selfish reasons but its not the correct way to fansub. It does look good though.

Articalys

Actually, though its boring, the funimation is more professionally done. Its a simple no nonsense title translation whereas crunchyroll is guilty of the subs trying to be a decorative part of the title which fansubbbers in the past were accused of inflating their egos in so doing. Not that CR is doing it for selfish reasons but its not the correct way to fansub. It does look good though.
I guess that's one way to look at it... though in that case I do wish Funi would at least stop putting quotes around subtitles for signs and logos like that.

Plus, like I agreed with Narag earlier on this page (though since you're going through the thread post by post you probably haven't gotten there yet), it is best if they just don't do it at all.

It entirely depends.

BD- old school jrpg with intuitive F2P/social-like mechanics with great art and music. If you liked Crystal chronicles you'll love this and the cool spins to turn based combat are amazing.

FEA- Probably my favorite jrpg in the 3DS and easily among my top 5 rpgs of all time, though BD may be joining it soon. Tactical rpg, a lot of waifus (if thats something you like) and cool mechanics where you can marry characters and play as your children later on. So closest thing to Persona 3/4 in a tactical rpg.

Link Between Worlds- if you miss old school zelda games then get this. So Zelda games that gave you freedom over a strong narrative. Personally I only barely liked it but it was really popular.

Rune Factory 4- never played it

Gazoinks

It entirely depends.

BD- old school jrpg with intuitive F2P/social-like mechanics with great art and music. If you liked Crystal chronicles you'll love this and the cool spins to turn based combat are amazing.

FEA- Probably my favorite jrpg in the 3DS and easily among my top 5 rpgs of all time, though BD may be joining it soon. Tactical rpg, a lot of waifus (if thats something you like) and cool mechanics where you can marry characters and play as your children later on. So closest thing to Persona 3/4 in a tactical rpg.

Link Between Worlds- if you miss old school zelda games then get this. So Zelda games that gave you freedom over a strong narrative. Personally I only barely liked it but it was really popular.

Rune Factory 4- never played it
The closest thing to Persona in a tactical RPG is probably Devil Survivor. In the sense that it is basically Persona in a tactical RPG. :p

As far as recommendations go, you'd probably get the most play out of FEA. Very good game, but it does have issues and the difficulty curve is completely out of whack. Still highly recommended. Loved Zelda also, but it's quite short. Haven't played the other two.

The closest thing to Persona in a tactical RPG is probably Devil Survivor. In the sense that it is basically Persona in a tactical RPG. :p

As far as recommendations go, you'd probably get the most play out of FEA. Very good game, but it does have issues and the difficulty curve is completely out of whack. Still highly recommended. Loved Zelda also, but it's quite short. Haven't played the other two.

I've played Devil Survivor and I meant in the sense of social links. But yeah I guess that's true due to music, map navigation and level of maturity. But the difficulty gets too fucking hard too fucking fast. That's my biggest issue with certain Atlus titles.

Quasar

I agree with you that CR subs look more fun and interesting.

And personally...on title cards it looks more professional to me if done well. The use of 'arty' fonts in the main subtitles though is less 'professional'. Though thats just expectations based on the history of official subtitles in other media talking I guess.

Gintama 6

Oh right, I have feelings. Damn it anime. I'm capable of feeling things. Guess I'm not drained from Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! after all.

Gazoinks

I've played Devil Survivor and I meant in the sense of social links. But yeah I guess that's true due to music, map navigation and level of maturity. But the difficulty gets too fucking hard too fucking fast. That's my biggest issue with certain Atlus titles.

Well, DeSu even had the bits where you spend segments of time with people, so it had something vaguely S.Linkish as well. As for the difficulty, that's a matter of taste, but I personally like it. :p

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Gintama 6

Oh right, I have feelings. Damn it anime. I'm capable of feeling things. Guess I'm not drained from Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! after all.

You haven't felt anything yet.

Gintama will stomp your heart repeatedly.

Tizoc

More like just shitty disjointed pacing all the way through and a story that didn't quite seem to know what it was doing, never mind have an actual destination.

Word of God says the creator intended it as a two-cour show and executive meddling forced him to cram it into a single cour. My feelings are mixed on whether it would have been better or worse with twice the episode count.

Does the series have a manga by any chance?

Saki Episode of Side A 05

I gotta say it's pretty interesting to actually see these character struggle and basically get out-analyzed by the enemy. Though not sure how I really feel if they are going to get stomped each and every time.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sakura Trick - 05

Damn Olympics screwing up my watch schedule, can't believe I've been putting this off until now. Anyways:

I'm so tempted to change OTPs, soooooo tempted! I wished
they actually kissed, but Yuu headbutting Haruka was an acceptable alternative. Yuu you're so selfish, wanting Haruka all to yourself! :3

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Inari, Kon Kon, Koi Iroha - 04

Legitimate :sdburton and firehawk12 was complaining?! Get outta here! :p

Definitely one of my favorite shows from this season, so good I even ship vanilla pairings.
"Legitimate". :p
Although, I kind of wish that the anime would be able to catch up with the manga anyway. I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say that the majority of the episodes they can do will be about Inari.

Love Lab > GJ-Bu > Yuru Yuri > Mikakunin

Best current studio? Best current studio
I guess we can agree on the latter!

Yeah, she'd be with Brian anyway.
True Precure OTP.

This is why more people should watch AnoHana. lol

Random card packs are the fucking devil! Bad enough that EA is dumping that shit in all their games, now Japanese girls are going to have to suffer through it too.

Precure is only jumping on the card bandwagon because the idol-themed collectable card game Aikatsu is making the biggest money among the young girl market right now. So blame that franchise!

Noragami 06

Another great episode. Rather liked how they build upon what happened last episode and all that action was pretty great too. Definitely got me interesting into learning more about the plot and what exactly happened.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Precure is only jumping on the card bandwagon because the idol-themed collectable card game Aikatsu is making the biggest money among the young girl market right now. So blame that franchise!
So wonzo wasn't lying? lol
I totally understand the addiction of opening card packs, so it's kind of insidious to get little girls to get into this shit. At least the magic wands are one shot deals.

The clothing cards have been around before HapCha even existed.

Gintama 7-8

Actually, more like 8 only, because it was funny. Think I'll call that one guy Afro Ass, or Assfro.

Gazoinks

The clothing cards have been around before HapCha even existed.

Gintama 7-8

Actually, more like 8 only, because it was funny. Think I'll call that one guy Afro Ass

Yes, good. Learn to appreciate the wonders of Kondo.

Clannad After Story 7

I didn't expect an arc about library girl of all people, but it turned out pretty nice so far. The side characters they're covering really are all better than most of the main girls in Clannad.
I knew this was gonna end with people coming after Sunohara.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom