• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew J.

HapCha Precure 45

It wasn't very nice of Yuu-Yuu to use the pretense of a social visit to dragoon her friends into working at her restaurant. :/

Yatterman Night 03

This show continues to impress. This was a pretty touching episode that shows how low the image of the Yatterman have fallen in the eyes of the public, what with imprisoning radom civilians and forcing their entire families to work in factories with little to no safety precautions. I want to know how the Yatter Kingdom fell into such a state.

Cross Ange 16

n2GMf8O.jpg

I love this show.

Jex

[Death Parade] - 3

One aspect of this story seems a little troubling to me:
The most important part of the tale, you should think, would resolve around the women's decision to get plastic surgery so as to 'attract attention'. Yet this rather dark element is really never explored to the depths that you think it should be - in fact if you consider the way their story resolves the message seems to be that getting plastic surgery is a good idea because it will actually help you get the attention of a man. Sure, she later died but that didn't really have anything to do with her actions, it was just an accident. Kind of a weird message.

Concerning Death Parade - 03...

Where was even the point in having these two play together and decide between hell and heaven for them when they had like almost nothing to do with each other for years. Sure they were childhood friends but neither did anything special happen between the two shortly before there death (there was no relationship, at best the guy was just trying to approach her) nor was their death the result of their doings.

The two did nothing particularly wrong up to their death (that we know of) so it feels weird that they now get judged upon their behavior during the game. Would the guy have been sent to hell if he said he's disgusted by the girl's cosmetic surgery? No matter what kind of more extreme scenario could've taken place between these two, judging like that would feel awfully arbitrary to me.
When two people die together, they go to Quindecim and play a game. Those are the rules we know. While the outcome may be obvious in advance the process still needs to tale place - even if it feels perfunctory. This episode was designed to show that this process takes place even in situations where both souls are good.

In addition, they have mentioned that their fates aren't solely tied to the game.

The real question should be why wasn't their story more 'interesting' and that's really the fault of writer I suppose.

Nagi no Asukara - 12

Finally some of them spilled the beans. Now watch as the mysterious thing Manaka told the red seaslug is to stop the climate change, and all of this will have served as a way for them to confess.
Actually I wouldn't mind if the hibernation went through and a time skip happened in this show, only problem is that the surface people will be fucked.

I've been enjoying the show so far, and it does look absolutely stunning. It does seem awfully convenient that no feelings are mutual, instead there's this love circle. One thing that really grinds my gears though:
STOP RUNNING AWAY ALL THE TIME MANAKA FOR SEA GOD SAKE YOU DRAMAQUEEN

This guy.

Gets his ass held down by a naked muscular man twice his size..and the only concern he has is if his 10/10 blind waifu is safe.

Once freed, he doesn't hold any grudges about it and is even responsible for making the guys their new snazzy outfits.

Alongside giving the 9 year old girl a stripperiffic outfit.

Barring the questionable last one, I'm liking Gal.

And while I would have liked to seen Leo hold the suffering fort down with Ally.

I'm pleased to see her finding some genuine happiness after all that's happened.

Theonik

[Death Parade] - 3
We also have the original OVA as an a example of unrelated people being sent to Decim, it is only a question of timing. The scenarios for the judging itself are engineered by Decim however.

Edit: And of course by extension the writers which is why Death Parade has been disappointing so far.

NeonZ

haha The Slayers does sort of feel like that with the episodes :p

I miss Rezo though. Xellos is cute but doesn't scratch that itch. Amelia's always so adorable though.

It's due to people missing Rezo that we got that
bad finale in Evolution-R, after it seemed like it'd fix most of the problems with Revolution...

What spurred this on? Urusei Yatsura is a (largely) quality show. Especially the first handful of seasons and first two movies. Rumiko Takahashi is basically the progenitor of the magical girlfriend genre and yet she did it so much better than those that came after. It's basically an anti-harem series.

Urusei Yatsura's first 20 or so episodes are actually fairly average. The anime really improves shortly after dumping the "2 stories per episode" format though, since it gives more time for the anime-only scenes which were generally better than the manga material in this case. Even after there's a director change after episode 104 or so the new staff still attempts to copy the style of the original staff (and keeps basically everything they added to the anime and didn't exist in the manga), although obviously there are some noticeable differences.

Jarmel

Banned
This doesn't really match up with what we know though. The guy keeps talking about Ishii not delivering scripts, but Ishii isn't even writing the screenplay for the anime.

Well it might have been something like a rough outline that the other two writers would polish.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Parasyte 15
Izumi finally had enough of this shit, and decide to become kill all the parasyte. What he didn't expect though, the organization decide to hunt him.
Oh man, the OST during the chase scene...it's weird. It's like old action film and sound comedic. Oh well, next ep, action scene.

Midonin

Azumanga Daioh 06-08

Festivals of culture and sport, and a trippy dream episode. I can see how the dream episode would later influence things like Hidamari Sketch's Yuno fever dream, but the goals were decidedly different there. For one, while this does reveal/expand on things we already knew about the characters, it was mostly done for comedy, while Hidamari had a tendency to be more introspective about itself.

I'm noticing the show's not afraid to let a joke linger, either. There are some quick jokes - like Tomo dropping Chiyo while stretching - but others like the last walk around the school, petting Tadakichi, or the over-over-extended manzai gag in the dream that go on for longer than one would think is necessary, but not so much that you want the joke to end already.

[Death Parade] - 3

When two people die together, they go to Quindecim and play a game. Those are the rules we know. While the outcome may be obvious in advance the process still needs to tale place - even if it feels perfunctory. This episode was designed to show that this process takes place even in situations where both souls are good.

In addition, they have mentioned that their fates aren't solely tied to the game.

The real question should be why wasn't their story more 'interesting' and that's really the fault of writer I suppose.

Hmm true enough. Dunno why I'm so keen on having the mystery/entire premise explained but it may be partially because the actual cases' stories didn't catch my interest yet. Or maybe I'm hoping that the cases themselves will become more interesting if I'm actually aware of the entire rules surrounding all this.

Nagi no Asukara - 12

Finally some of them spilled the beans. Now watch as the mysterious thing Manaka told the red seaslug is to stop the climate change, and all of this will have served as a way for them to confess.
Actually I wouldn't mind if the hibernation went through and a time skip happened in this show, only problem is that the surface people will be fucked.

I've been enjoying the show so far, and it does look absolutely stunning. It does seem awfully convenient that no feelings are mutual, instead there's this love circle. One thing that really grinds my gears though:
STOP RUNNING AWAY ALL THE TIME MANAKA FOR SEA GOD SAKE YOU DRAMAQUEEN

Yeh the love-pentagon or what it ends up being eventually is really kinda ridiculous. And the drama itself is often not dealt that well either, with Manaka running away and people keeping silent. However, to me, it wasn't quite unbearably bad (well, after Hikari stopped being a selfish asshole) and I had an easy time empathizing with most of the characters' situation.

Well I've got lots more to say but not gonna spoil the second half.

JCG

DEATH™;149088368 said:
Be honest with me guys, is Cross Ange a good show?

No.

There are better shows this season that you should probably be watching!

Just saying. But feel free to read the posts and spoilers about it. No harm in doing that.

Exalted

DEATH™;149088368 said:
I found the first few episodes to be completely awfull, and was coplexed by why people watch it. But it does actually get better later, but it takes quite afew episodes to do so.
It goes from bad to meh to ok. Usually it is completely different and you have a good first few episode and then it only goes worse.

DEATH™;149088368 said:

It has fanservice in every episode.
It doesn't have a lot of budget, so it doesn't look very good. Ironically, even the fanservice looks a bit iffy sometimes, with lots of off models.
It has some silly anime hijkins, despite also trying to be a serious story. I will let you choose if that's good or bad.
The story seems the typical Sunrise mecha story, with evil dictators and a rebellion movement trying to defeat him, and some twists along the way, some personal relationships that cross over that main thread, some scifi and even fantasy tropes on top of everything, and super special mechas which are gaudy as fuck as key part of the conflict.

But more or less it's done competently as a fun B-series romp, with some strong character arcs in it. A virtue this time it's that is a character-driven series so it doesn't waste a lot of time in boring mech battles or super garbage scifi plot. It isn't really "serious good" but somehow it knows it and know to have fun with it, which is better than a series being mediocre but the creators act as if it was proper-serious-good.

I suppose the best I can do is compare it with other series: it's better than Valvrave, Aldnoah Zero or Guilty Crown. Or god, any Bones mecha series from the last years.

bad finale in Evolution-R, after it seemed like it'd fix most of the problems with Revolution...

Urusei Yatsura's first 20 or so episodes are actually fairly average. The anime really improves shortly after dumping the "2 stories per episode" format though, since it gives more time for the anime-only scenes which were generally better than the manga material in this case. Even after there's a director change after episode 104 or so the new staff still attempts to copy the style of the original staff (and keeps basically everything they added to the anime and didn't exist in the manga), although obviously there are some noticeable differences.

Haha, nothing was wrong with Rezo season 1. if they messed up
his return
you can blame them not us :p

Are there any good romcom or drama anime where it doesn't end upon the successful confession, instead we actual get to see the couple's relationship develop as well? One with 'relatively' normal people, so Mysterious Girlfriend for example doesn't count.

Because fuck me if there isn't a huge lack of that. I cannot stand the Mari Okada way of nonstop drama and suffering before the pair officially gets into a relationship and the show ends right away.

Oh and don't suggest Clannad (Afterstory), seen that and it's dogshit and... quite frankly they kinda skip from confession to marriage and pregnancy via handholding anyways.

faridmon

oreimo 3

hes totally going to find out his sister isnt related to him by blood and bang her. because modern anime.

First season or second?

If first, then enjoy a great little story about ''brotherly'' love.
If Second then STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHP

Are there any good romcom or drama anime where it doesn't end upon the successful confession, instead we actual get to see the couple's relationship develop as well? One with 'relatively' normal people, so Mysterious Girlfriend for example doesn't count.

Chihayafuru and My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU comes to mind.

phaze

But the last two episodes,
no matter how repetitive,
were still the best part about Revolution and Evolution-R. :p
Every episode of Slayers should have Lina casting Giga Slave.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 04

Shinji rides a train. Shinji goes to the movies. Shinji wanders the streets. Shini rides the bus. Shinji sits at the bus stop. Shinji wanders the country.
Shinji goes up the mountains. Shinji sleeps in a tent with his classmate. Shinji gets picked up by security. Shinji is resigned. Shinji waits for the train. Shinji does not board the train.

Jex

We also have the original OVA as an a example of unrelated people being sent to Decim, it is only a question of timing. The scenarios for the judging itself are engineered by Decim however.

Edit: And of course by extension the writers which is why Death Parade has been disappointing so far.

I think this is the fundamental weakness of the series and one of the many reasons why you'd usually considered it unsuitable for animation. Anime's core strengths obviously involved around fantastical settings, impossible camerawork, exciting action and so forth. Lots of things that don't strictly involve the script. However in Death Parade the entire weight of the series is on the back of the script, the voice acting and the character animation with the script tacking the brunt of the weight. Basically, the script should be good enough so that it works as a radio drama or something of that effect and it's really not. While the audience might be distracted by the flashiness of the game (and it sure was pretty in the first episode) the core needs to be more robust.

Shinji rides a train. Shinji goes to the movies. Shinji wanders the streets. Shini rides the bus. Shinji sits at the bus stop. Shinji wanders the country.
Shinji goes up the mountains. Shinji sleeps in a tent with his classmate. Shinji gets picked up by security. Shinji is resigned. Shinji waits for the train. Shinji does not board the train.

does "fin" indicate that you're done with this anime or was that just the end of the tale ?

Quasar

Nodame Cantabile? His and Her Circumstances?

Because fuck me if there isn't a huge lack of that. I cannot stand the Mari Okada way of nonstop drama and suffering before the pair officially gets into a relationship and the show ends right away.

Part of that is that at least some of it is adaptations so you need to continue on with the manga or LN to get the post confession material. Anime just gives you the first act for the most part.

sonicmj1

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun/My Little Monster, given some margin for "normal".

Hataraki Man's protagonist begins the story already in a relationship of somewhat long standing, but that relationship is more a subplot than anything else.

That's all I got.

[Tantei Kageki Milky Holmes TD] - 1

What the hell happened to Milky Holmes after season 2 anyway? Why, for example, does it look like crap? Where's the visual flair? The comedy? No thank you.
You are absolutely right that Milky Holmes started out great and has gone downhill since the end of S2, but don't drop Milky Holmes TD! Even if it's clearly not as good as seasons 1 or 2, TD actually is a pretty good show. Episode 1 is the worst of the three episodes so far; eps 2 and 3 are better, and are entirely focused on comedy instead of ep. 1's misguided half-idol-show concept. I mean, the idol girl is still there, but she's not an actual idol anymore. Ep. 3 didn't even have a "Milky Holmes are detectives, not idols" joke! So yeah, after a weak start, Milky Holmes TD is turning around. I just hope it stays as silly as the last two episodes have been.

Log Horizon any good?
Yes. It's one of those incredibly rare LN adaptations that's actually good.

But the last two episodes,
no matter how repetitive,
were still the best part about Revolution and Evolution-R. :p
Every episode of Slayers should have Lina casting Giga Slave.
Even if they weren't quite as great as the original three seasons, Revolution and Evolution-R were still great! Slayers is one of my favorite anime series (despite some issues), and I loved the new seasons almost as much as the older ones. It's really too bad there isn't more of it... there should be. :(

Upotte!! 01

Who needs boat girls when you have gun girls?...

Too much fanservice for me. Hopefully it's mostly front loaded.
Upotte is about fanservice first, guns second, and this never changes. It's a dumb and subpar series.

At least it's not about promoting how great the WWII Japanese military was, though, so I'll give it the edge over Kancolle despite that...

Jex

A factually accurate, but extremely cursory reading of the episode. Your neutral retelling of events does not allow me to work out whether you liked or disliked the episode but I'm going to imagine you weren't impressed.

Nodame Cantabile? His and Her Circumstances?

Having heard a bunch about Nodame Cantabile recently I maybe should give it a try. I mean I was interested in the premise of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso but that failed me.

The other one sounds intriguing too.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun/My Little Monster, given some margin for "normal".

Hataraki Man's protagonist begins the story already in a relationship of somewhat long standing, but that relationship is more a subplot than anything else.

That's all I got.

Those could be of interest too (MAL synopsis).

Thanks for the suggestions!

Giolon

I didn't want to make too elaborate an explanation in my previous post, but I agree with most of this. However, I felt like after the studio changeover the characters become sort of Flanderized, and most of the "comedy" just becomes the characters screaming at each other.

DEATH™;149088368 said:

Is Cross Ange a good show? Hmm, is Cross Ange a good show... I'd say no. However, it is an entertaining show with pretty good characters, and an interesting world setup that's only gotten better the further the show has progressed. Unfortunately, the sexually violent content of the first couple episodes seems to put a lot of people off. It's still got its lame fanservice jokes, but if those are something you can look past, there is worthwhile content and entertainment to be had from the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom