• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shugo Chara 66

And this is why you don't name your kids after anime characters. Because then they'll cause problems to the community in the name of "justice"

Jex

Urusei Yatsura eh?

From wiki:

(*´_ゝ`)

You're treading on thin ice.
Man, what is this awful gutter that the Jojo series has crawled into? Stardust Crusaders 2 - Episode 3 was even worse than the first two.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I happen to believe it might be the greatest episode in the modern adaptation, at least since the start of Battle Tendency. It's got just about everything you could want.

jgminto

Ace of Diamond 66

Not a fan of
the new coach, his attitude is a lot less appealing when compared to Coach Kataoka's intensity.
The new first years seem interesting so far though, I'm excited to see how they'll fit in with the rest of the team.

Jex

VOTOMS 7-9

votoms9.jpg

FAUST SOLD HIS SOUL TO MEPHISTOPHELES, SO HE COULD KNOW THE FUTURE.

MACBETH FELL INTO HELL FOLLOWING THE THREE WITCHES' PREDICTION.

CHIRICO WILL DIVINE HIS DESTINY FROM THE PROTOTYPE.

IN WOODO, WHAT YOU NEED TO BUY YOUR FUTURE IS JIJIRIUM AND A LITTLE BIT OF RISK.

NEXT TIME,
THE DEAL

BUSINESS IN WOODO CARRIES THE SCENT OF DEATH.
I don't understand why the next episode previews of VOTOMS aren't all archived somewhere. Nothing but GOLD.

cajunator

Banned
Rolling Girls 3

blTVTnl.gif
GjSO4tD.gif

A city full of cosplayers. Sounds a lot nicer than what the reality would really be like. I guess this is what Favaro is up to now that Rage of Bahamut is finished, haha.

Animation wasnt that great this episode but nothing crazy happened anyways. Some catastrophe is being foreshadowed though. I wonder if one person can utilize more than 1 of those stones at a time.

Chi is so weird and so adorable.

Chi is the goddamned best girl. From the moment she took the mask off and shook her adorable hair.

No Game No Life Specials 06

Is this that "mofu" stuff I've heard so much about?

Hell yeah it is! Its good for you!

Urusei Yatsura eh?

From wiki:

(*´_ゝ`)

UY is a treat. enjoy it!

Holy shit at those \pillow covers.

WTF are they thinking?

They are thinking "otaku $$$"

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You guys must be more into idol-ing than I am.
Today maybe, back then no. It was my first idol show. If anything, since 2011 was when I was getting into watching shows on a weekly basis I was pretty open to anything so I had no preconceptions of what anime should be like (see the curse that ToonamiGAF suffers from). As for idols outside of anime all I knew was Morning Musume because an old friend liked them. Can't remember a single one of their songs mind.

Shugo Chara 67

Clearly a show meant for kids

I like how the one person that Lulu was initially reluctant to change was someone who actually has an impossible dream. As such, this episode was rather dumb.

Jex

I think some of my top picks have to be:

"AFTER ESCAPING ROCHINA'S CLUTCHES, CHIRICO ONCE MORE DESCENDS INTO HELL.
IN THE AFTERMATH OF DESTRUCTION DWELLS VIOLENCE AND DESIRE
IN A NEW SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR.
EVIL AND TREACHERY, CORRUPTION AND CONFUSION.
ALL GROUND TOGETHER AS THOUGH POURED FROM THE SAME CONCRETE MIXER.
MELKIA'S VERY OWN GOMORRAH.
NEXT TIME,
WOODO.
NEXT WEEK, CHIRICO TAKES YOU WITH HIM INTO HELL."

and

"ONCE THERE WERE GRAVE WARRIORS WHO FOLLOWED THE SONG OF BATTLE.
HERE NOW IS A GRAVEYARD FOR THE DIGNIFIED DEFENDERS OF THEIR LANDS WHO WRAP THEMSELVES IN THE THICK ARMOR OF THE ARMORED TROOPER.
GIVING ENTERTAINMENT TO COUNTLESS CALIGULAS IN THEIR COLOSSEUM,
THEY ARE WOODO'S GLADIATORS.
FOR THE SOULLESS VOTOMS THEMSELVES,
IT OFFERS THE CRASHES THAT GO ALONG WITH THEIR EXISTENCE.
NEXT TIME,
BATTLING
FROM THE ROTATING TURRET BLAZES CHIRICO'S FIERCE GAZE."

Giolon

Cross Ange 16

FINALLY I HAVE OBTAINED INDISPUTABLE AND UNSHAKABLE PROOF THAT THIS SHOW IS HIGH ART.

GAZE. GAZE AND BE FILLED WITH THE POWER OF ANGELISE-SAMA.

The first half of this week's episode was absolutely something special, lol! It was about as subtle and made as much sense as Tusk's constant face-plants into Ange's crotch.

Dat rivalry.
Dat friendship.

Vilkiss is secretly a
T-1000

I really dig Salamandinay's song more than Ange's. And lol, "
Anko
"

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have no idea what you're talking about.
It's a joke about how how many go on and on that anime is worse than before because they don't realise they watched gatekept shows back in the naughties vs being aware of everything today. Also known as Cowboy Bebop and Gurren Lagann came out in the same season syndrome a.k.a. a distorted view of how frequently "good" shows come out.

Grexeno

It's a joke about how how many go on and on that anime is worse than before because they don't realise they watched gatekept shows back in the naughties vs being aware of everything today. Also known as Cowboy Bebop and Gurren Lagann came out in the same season syndrome a.k.a. a distorted view of how frequently "good" shows come out.
That's not something ToonamiGAF can be accused of.

Rolling girls 03

The only danger is if they remove focus from the action and it turns into another 'cute girls' show.

Wait a minute; a complete lack of noses, an unnatural focus on teenage girls, 'cute' girls with speech disorders, the singing in the OP......

It was our planet moeshit all along!

You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you, damn you all to hell.

*sobs audibly*

Crocodile

Toonami was the outlet for anime many used in the naughties. That's the phony reason I use the name. Make a FoxKidsGAF and I'll rename the curse if you so wish.

________GAF means anyone on GAF who regularly associates or engages in a community around ________ (and you know this). So ToonamiGAF means anybody who regularly participates in the Toonami community thread. Your description doesn't fit anybody who regularly posts there. "Anyone who got into anime through Toonami or similar gateways" doesn't work either as that even describes a ton of people who regularly participate in this thread. Its way too wide a scope to say nothing of the fact that there exist people with those opinions who got their start through the fansub community or trawling random Best Buy aisles or Anime conventions or whatever. Just type out what your actually trying to say. If anything, misplaced nostalgia is probably the most accurate you'll get.

Jex

[Tantei Opera Milky Holmes ]

While I was fairly sceptical going in this series quickly became one of my favourite anime comedies. It's frantic pace and bizarre gags reminds me of Excel Saga, without all the references to 70's anime and without the really series ending. Oh, tell a lie, it actually has all those elements as well.

I guess there are two main selling points of Milky Holmes. The first has to be overall presentation - incredibly creative direction and editing and extremely lively and varied animation. The closest comparison is something like Doremi where every single frame is just bursting with life and character. Every element of the presentation is superb, right down to the background art. It's a beautiful series.

The other is, of course, the cast. While our heroes are supposedly expert detectives in the world of Milky Holmes being a detective seems less to do with actual having any kind of intelligence and more to do with having magical powers that let you battle villains with other magical powers. At the start of the series our main characters lose all their powers, leaving them with only their wit and cunning. Of course, as this is a comedy, this means that they are in reality hopelessly incompetent detectives who cause nothing but mayhem and disaster. The main through line of the series is their various bungled attempts to get their powers back.

In credit to the shows writer, the series manages to pull an Excel Saga so that as we approach the end things actually get fairly serious to the point where we can have an emotionally satisfying (and insanely action packed) finale. However, because the series can't really function with Milky Holmes having their powers they have to lose them at the very end and become losers once again. Onto season 2.

[Tantei Opera Milky Holmes: Act 2]

Season 2 is very much in the same vein of season 1 except that it looks far worse. The insane amount of talent that was available to produce the original series appears to have moved on and the show looks significantly worse. There's also a fair amount of re-treading of old ground as the show follows through with the same kind of stories.

Now, just to clarify, when I say that this season looks worse than the original I don't mean that it's a ugly show. To the contrary, it still looks fantastic it's just that the first season was on a completely different level. In addition, while we're going through the motions to some extent that's by no means a bad things because the show is still extremely entertaining and creative. In an attempt to separate themselves somewhat from the original the heroes of this show are so incompetent that they've forgotten that they even wanted to be detectives, or that they ever had any powers. They're stupidity reaches some truly insane heights and that's all well and good.

I skipped season 3 because I heard it was a different staff but felt compelled to check out this new season.

[Tantei Kageki Milky Holmes TD] - 1

What the hell happened to Milky Holmes after season 2 anyway? Why, for example, does it look like crap? Where's the visual flair? The comedy? No thank you.

Cross Ange 16

Hahahah hah

I don't know what to show in a capture. Sala saying she would like to watch the morning intercourse, or them fighting in the "old arena" aka a sports center, Or how, somehow, it ends in a swimsuit twister match???
But of course the capture wouldn't have the best part: the old school sound effects of shonen sports series.

Having Ange calling Sala everything except her real name was funny, too.

I also liked the solution to the problem,
firing a mega-blast to stop a space-time tornado of destruction and then neutering with another mega-blast. But of course!

Jex

[Cross Ange] - 16

I think....that was actually kind of a good episode? I don't know how else to describe it. It all basically worked.

The sport stuff was certainly entertaining but it's probably worth noting that as far as I could tell most of the sports sequences were shot-by-shot references to other anime. For example, all the shots of the tennis where from Aim for the Ace! and the baseball sequence was from Star of the Giants. The other sequences may have been from other sports anime that I haven't seen.

Jex

[Yuri Kuma Arashi] - 3

Huh, this actually felt quite a bit closer to an actual episode in a series rather than 3 or 4 episodes combined. That's progress!

Cross Ange 16

I've figured it out now.
Ange is totally some kind of female human version of the dragon Aura. Sala's comment about Ange knowing that song and who they learned it from makes me suspect this is the case.

wonzo

Banned
I don't understand why the next episode previews of VOTOMS aren't all archived somewhere. Nothing but GOLD.
I never thought they'd top the coffee one but then they started dropping Caligula and shit. At this point I'm watching this (ownage) series just to see how awesome the previews get!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Saekano 2
Break the 4th wall and meta joke.
Girl and Guy playing VN all night long. SHAMELESS
Yeah, this is one of the better harem show this season. kato monotone comment is amusing. It still looks pretty.

DiGiKerot

[Tantei Kageki Milky Holmes TD] - 1

What the hell happened to Milky Holmes after season 2 anyway? Why, for example, does it look like crap? Where's the visual flair? The comedy? No thank you.

I was kind of relieved to read this post, honestly. Whilst I don't think it's quite as bad as you do, I think there's a lot of people so relieved that Milky Holmes has gone back to being a dumb comedy with TD that they're being way too forgiving of a show that isn't really that great.

Well, either that, or they're just forgetting how much better that original series actually was. I mean, I deliberately went back and watched the Prince and the Pauper episode last week just to see if the Pi joke was as funny as I remembered it being (it was) and lost a whole afternoon to the show as a result. That's never going to happen with TD, yet a lot of long term Milky fans seem really into it.

That said, it also really rubbed me up the wrong way in the first episode with all the VA-less callbacks to way better secondary characters who aren't going to appear in this series. As much as Kokoro and her ever-escalating IQ was probably my favourite character (even before the idol OAV), it's just not the same without the rest of G4 for her to bounch of.

Lain

Tokyo Ghoul whateversymbol A 3

Better than the previous 2 episodes for me, though I still have issues with pacing and directing with this show. At least there was that thing with the writer.

Rolling Girls 2

The reason for Macchan to be Maccha Green was quite sweet. Too bad it's lost on Nozomi. I guess the real story starts now.

Maria the Virgin Witch 2

Having received the first manga volume after having watched the first episode, I got to make some comparisons. In the end I liked the manga more for the flow of events though the anime does a good job condensing and making some changes to keep things going and interesting (and possible to be shown on TV?).
Just like in the manga, I think Michael is a dick.

I'm a couple of episodes into Nagi no Asukura, and I think I've seen more tears and crying in this show alone so far than I have in multiple other shows combined.
I'm starting to think the first Sea people actually lived on land but cried so much that it flooded.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Death Parade 3
This episode feel flat when compared to previous episode, but screw it. Nobody need to go to hell, and it end on positive note. This episode probably here to tell the viewer that there's more than one outcome. Will be interesting if in the next episode, both player goes to hell.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
And then things change in Season 2, the art direction and character design takes a huge hit but in exchange we get actual direction and fight choreography which in turn makes the fighting and action so much better then Season 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom