• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I have no intention of purchasing:

The Cat Returns

Howl's Moving Castle

Ponyo

Tales from Earthsea

Up on Poppy Hill

But I will grab the best.

I watched a fair amount of anime and played a fair amount of Japanease games but my reaction to those character designs is still "WTF is this shit". What a mess.

Basically, my thoughts.

The Cat Returns

Howl's Moving Castle

Ponyo

these are great though!

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 11
002023h6kl6.png
002016j4j0x.png
002018ftkum.png

He hath arrived

I hate Juuzo but man that scream was harrowing.

Not that it means much in the context but this was probably the best episode of this poor season. Action was on par/better then in the first one, scenes flowed nicely and the story wasn't rushed to hell. Still plenty of bad stuff - CG and some writing choices but a marked improvement.

They have telegraphed the identity of the Owl awfully in the preceding episodes but the final reveal was nicely done.

Touka has been terribly irrelevant so far, no clue what her purpose here is. And it looks like
Hide managed to get away from Noro ?

javac

I have no intention of purchasing:

The Cat Returns

Howl's Moving Castle

Ponyo

Tales from Earthsea

Up on Poppy Hill

But I will grab the best.

I loved Howl for some reason, it's one of my favorite Miyazaki films (Porco is of course his best :p). It's a decisive one that's for sure, but I'm glad that in the end I enjoyed it thoroughly and so did my brother who I watched it with. Ponyo was a slow movie, but it's probably the best looking Ghibli film (Still not seen The Wind Rises and Kaguya, but I suspect that Kaguya will take that crown for me for sure) and it has a gorgeous soundtrack. It also helped that my little brother liked it a lot too, so it was one of the only films that I could watch with the whole family and enjoy which no doubt gave it extra points in my book. I loved Poppy Hill for the soundtrack and setting, but that movie was pretty simple and by the numbers, and yet I really enjoyed that too! I've not seen a Ghibli film I really didn't like, my least favorite is probably Arrietty, Pom Poko and maybe Totoro (it's been a while), but even those I loved in some way or another (The soundtrack for Arrietty!)

About to watch the last episode of Binbō-gami ga aka Good Luck Girl It's been a fun ride. Gotta say I love "Clean" Momiji. Hoping for some more Nadeshiko!

Tokyo Ghoul √A - 11

I enjoyed Amon VS Kaneki, though I would've liked to see him go centipede, why the tease man.
I was kinda underwhelmed by
Monster Owl's performance VS Arima
I think his name is? Dis dude is ice cold yo.
Arima
brought some cool toys but I didn't feel as impressed by
Owls combat
as I thought I would've.
How the fuck did
Hide escape from Noro?
So yeah, 1 episode left, I have no clue how they're gonna finish this up.

Midonin

Saekano 10

I like Michiru, glad to have her finally join the cast, just before the end.

April 22 + Final Thoughts

I'll always be the kind of person susceptible to getting swept up in emotional moments, and some things that aren't immediately emotional. And the finale worked for me.
Kaori didn't survive the surgery,
but the performance and the letter - each of which was essentially half the episode, worked. I know the show has a reputation as melodramatic and somesuch, but it never got a point where it was bad for me. The tone could shift wildly at times, but again, not to the point where I see it as a detriment. Plus the focus on music helped, too. Of course, it's not just about music. After the comparison to Love Story was made, I had a rough idea of where this was going, and like its inspiration - in the dramatic love stories of old - it's not for everyone, but I feel like it did a pretty alright job at what it set out to do.

And so, the first show of this season comes to a close.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A - 11

Sigh, this was probably the best episode of the trainwreck that's known as Season 2.

Not gonna lie, animation was on point with the action, especially with the fight between Kaneki and Amon.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Tokyo Ghoul Root A - 11

Sigh, this was probably the best episode of the trainwreck that's known as Season 2.

Not gonna lie, animation was on point with the action, especially with the fight between Kaneki and Amon.

I gave up on it. It diverged from the manga, which I didn't mind cause I wanted to see what direction they would go in, but the quality of the animation suffered tremendously in my opinion so I dropped it since episode 3.

e_i

Your Lie in April episode 22

A very beautiful anime, so well done. So the lie is that
Kaori actually loved and admired Kousei but told Tsubaki and him that she loved that other guy.
I hoped that
Kaori would live, but she didn't. Miracles don't happen.

I gave up on it. It diverged from the manga, which I didn't mind cause I wanted to see what direction they would go in, but the quality of the animation suffered tremendously in my opinion so I dropped it since episode 3.

Yeah, dunno WHAT happened with episode 3's animation, but I feel you in general.

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata 10
man this episode was chalk full of provocative poses and panning shots into upskirts/crotch. Anyways I like the new character also this will totally get another season no way they complete the game next episode.
All | Same | Scene (Cut, Cut, Cut)
bnDWg5e.png

VRMN

Your Lie in April / Kimi wa Shigatsu no Uso - Final Thoughts

I've always been kind of a sap when it comes to stories like this. I adore classical music, as well, so this was kind of a mixing of two things I absolutely love from the outset. I knew I'd like it and I did. The masterful soundtrack with awe-inspiring performances of some of the most wonderful pieces, amazing production values, and some really great characters...it really touches a lot of bases with me.

It's not a perfect show, of course. The comedy was never done particularly well; I can see it was trying to do the Key thing of creating some levity to attach you to the characters so it'll touch you more when they're put through the wringer. The sad thing to me is that this has always been, from my perspective, a crutch Key and many other anime use and KimiUso didn't actually need it. The romcom hijinks only detracted from the experience and the attachment I gained to the characters was done outside of those antics. I fell in love with Kaori, Kousei, and the others in spite of the comedy, not because of it.

But I did fall in love with them. Kaori's predicament, Watari's conflicted friendship/rivalry with Kousei, Tsubaki's schoolgirl unrealized love, Kousei's fear turned to courage...these were all excellent plots in their own right. I won't say no amount of unrealistic violent tsukkomis could ruin them, but the amount that was in there failed to despite their best efforts. There is a heartfelt emotional connection about the show; only fitting that it's in large part about those emotional connections being forged.

It's a beautiful show, as well, which never hurts things. The characters are vivid, well animated, and good lord the concert scenes were universally brilliant. I honestly can't imagine only reading this story, as well as they said so much while saying so little during those scenes, particularly with the accompanying music. The concert scene during the finale was just so beautiful, heartrending, and emotional, with almost no words being spoken whatsoever. It was amazing and, by itself, made me forgive many of the issues I had with the more comedic side of the series.

Yes, the show has issues; some things don't feel earned by the end, some of the characters felt extraneous, and the series would have fared even better as a straight drama. But in spite of its flaws, I loved it. It may not be my favorite show of the season, but that has more to do with its competition than anything this show itself has done. Either way, it's pretty damn close. 9/10

mdubs

Banned
Your Lie in April Finale

That was the most beautiful ending to a show I've ever seen, like I have to gather my thoughts. They absolutely nailed the ending so hard
that was the beautiful metaphorical death scene I've ever seen. Plus that scene where Kousei realizes that she loved him
I think it's awesome that everything makes complete sense now
with why Kousei never noticed her before
I think so much can be said for how amazing the direction of this episode was, truly breathtaking.

Cornbread78

Cross Ange 14-18

Ok GAF, the story has gotten much better and this is actually pretty good (just look beyond the author's infatuation with lesbian acts)

There is a love story building up in the story, and has a good comedic aspect to it, the fighting action is good and the character stories are pretty good including the
dragon child Mii
. I'm actually looking forward to the last few episodes.

Acid08

Banned
So I've watched a few things lately, figured I'd share a couple words on 'em.

Madoka: 10/10 would cry again

Madoka Rebellion: uh what the fuck

K-On: A bit different from what I expected, to be honest. I thought it would be, I don't know...pandering I guess? At least that's what I thought after seeing some of the stuff the fandom produces haha. It was actually just a really funny and sweet show with some good music. Absolutely loved it. Movie was very good too.

Nozaki-Kun: Super, super funny. It kinda started dragging near the end a bit but overall I loved it.

Nisekoi: Typical harem stuff but I found it more entertaining than the usual fare. Probably because the comedy actually worked well for me. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Kill La Kill: Highly entertaining. It felt like watching something like a Fast and the Furious movie, a summer blockbuster. Not a perfect show, it has some pacing issues around the middle of the show and a couple of clunker episodes. Overall really liked it though.

Right now I'm watching Yuki Yuna Is A Hero and I just started Saekano. After those I have a lot to decide between. Eureka Seven, Shirokuma Cafe, Hyouka, Steins;Gate, Bakemonogatari, Space Dandy, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Idolmaster, Macross Frontier, and Amagi Brilliant Park. So many to choose from! Haven't been this into watching anime is a long time.

cajunator

Banned

K-On: A bit different from what I expected, to be honest. I thought it would be, I don't know...pandering I guess? At least that's what I thought after seeing some of the stuff the fandom produces haha. It was actually just a really funny and sweet show with some good music. Absolutely loved it. Movie was very good too.

Nozaki-Kun: Super, super funny. It kinda started dragging near the end a bit but overall I loved it.

Nisekoi: Typical harem stuff but I found it more entertaining than the usual fare. Probably because the comedy actually worked well for me. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Kill La Kill: Highly entertaining. It felt like watching something like a Fast and the Furious movie, a summer blockbuster. Not a perfect show, it has some pacing issues around the middle of the show and a couple of clunker episodes. Overall really liked it though.

Right now I'm watching Yuki Yuna Is A Hero and I just started Saekano. After those I have a lot to decide between. Eureka Seven, Shirokuma Cafe, Hyouka, Steins;Gate, Bakemonogatari, Space Dandy, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Idolmaster, Macross Frontier, and Amagi Brilliant Park. So many to choose from! Haven't been this into watching anime is a long time.

People talk about anime in a decline but I honestly feel that is not the case at all. Lots of really great stuff coming out.

TUSR

Banned

Didn't see my name mentioned in here.

javac

Apparently Sentai also picked up Guardian Ninja Mamoru, Reideen and She, the Ultimate Weapon which all come from Tohokushinsha Film Corporation (TFC) in what seems like a bulk package, so maybe we'll see Paranoia Agent next?

Yuki Yuna: All right.
Saekano: Ask Firehawk.
Eureka Seven: WATCH IT WATCH IT IT'S BEAUTIFUL.
Shirokuma Cafe: Heard it was pretty good.
Hyouka: Heard it was good. Not watching it until Branduil watches GBF S1.
Steins;Gate: GOOD.
Bakemonogatari: I gotta get back to this some time.
Space Dandy: Will watch sometime when it goes on Netflix.
Arpeggio of Blue Steel: IDK.
Idolmaster: If you really want to.
Macross Frontier: IDK but I do know that the Do you Remember Love movie was great.
Amagi Brilliant Park: If you really want to.

Out of those, Space Dandy, there are a lot of mediocre episodes especially in S1 but the amazing episodes are some of the best. Others would probably recommend Bakemonogatari and Hyouka but I haven't seen those.

Steins;Gate!

cajunator

Banned
Apparently Sentai also picked up Guardian Ninja Mamoru, Reideen and She, the Ultimate Weapon which all come from Tohokushinsha Film Corporation (TFC) in what seems like a bulk package, so maybe we'll see Paranoia Agent next?

It will be interesting seeing new reactions to Saikano.
I would REALLY love if someone license rescued ROD OVA and ROD TV so more people could enjoy that.

John Blade

Might double dip Paranoia Agent if it's in Blu Ray release.

Acid08

Banned
Yuki Yuna: All right.
Saekano: Ask Firehawk.
Eureka Seven: WATCH IT WATCH IT ITS BEAUTIFUL.
Shirokuma Cafe: Heard it was pretty good.
Hyouka: Heard it was good. Not watching it until Branduil watches GBF S1.
Steins;Gate: GOOD.
Bakemonogatari: I gotta get back to this some time.
Space Dandy: Will watch sometime when it goes on Netflix.
Arpeggio of Blue Steel: IDK.
Idolmaster: If you really want to.
Macross Frontier: IDK but I do know that the Do you Remember Love movie was great.
Amagi Brilliant Park: If you really want to.
haha I was leaning toward Eureka actually! I was a big mecha fan before I became more of a general anime fan so that already makes it stand out to me.

Out of those, Space Dandy, there are a lot of mediocre episodes especially in S1 but the amazing episodes are some of the best. Others would probably recommend Bakemonogatari and Hyouka but I haven't seen those.

Dandy looks really cool, I like the vibe and setting it has going on.

Steins;Gate!

See, I do really want to watch this but I'm wondering if I should just play the VN first since I've heard such amazing things about it.

Clov

It will be interesting seeing new reactions to Saikano.
I would REALLY love if someone license rescued ROD OVA and ROD TV so more people could enjoy that.

Aniplex of America has both of those; the BD collection of it was one of their first releases a few years back. I doubt we'll be seeing anything of it anytime soon.

PK Gaming

See, I do really want to watch this but I'm wondering if I should just play the VN first since I've heard such amazing things about it.

You don't really miss anything by watching the anime first(it's a damn good adaptation). The best part? If you decide to go back and play the VN, there's plenty of new content to make things interesting.

Steins;Gate seems like the kind of series that would interest me since I love sci-fi shit like the time travel Star Trek episodes but I have pretty much no interest in watching at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom