• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
inio asano sakuga :bow :bow

ontan.gif
anime adaptation of demon dededededededestruction when?

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 25

Worst OP didn't prepare me for Worst ED. It's like two different levels of worst.

Like Worst OP could grow, but ED? Forget it.

Crocodile

Remember that they're trapped in the bar to begin with; even if they thought they could incapacitate Decim, there's a very low probability that they would be able to find a way out on their own. In that kind of situation, with Decim clearly having the upper hand, I'd play along with what he says unless a clear opportunity of gaining the advantage over him presented itself.

Yeah I supposed being trapped in the bar either is a good counter point I forgot to consider. Forcing Decim to release them over incapitation is a potential option but it certainly isn't a straight forward plan.

Koufuku Graffiti 1
Definitely a bit erotic with its food though cute with it also. The two girls are pretty likeable and it feels right as a weekly anime for some reason.

Idolmaster Cinderella Girls 1
I didn't feel it was as good as normal series. There's clearly a lot of girls so, going it a couple at a time while gets me to familiarize with each girl, it doesn't help the girls aren't particularly deep. While the second girl was definitely better than the first, it still felt a lot of nothing. i don't mind the more serious take but it should have more interesting "protagonists". The producer being an awkward scary guy was an interesting touch.

santeesioux

It looks like Funi has a new streaming plan which includes only 40 bucks a year for subtitles only, that looks really tempting for all of the simulcasts they pick up now.

Link Man

Banned
So, I've started another watchbet.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha 1

ib1cVTJjEZfXbs.jpg

Getting strong Cardcaptor Sakura vibes from just the OP.

Well, that was a stylish opening. Hope to see more like that.

OP song used as ringtone. Of course.

An introduction scene straight from a VN.

When life gives you lemons, throw them at your friend's face!

Random english.

Some really nice animation and use of cinematography at times.

Soundtrack in the second half is really good, too.

...aaaaand we're lewd.

Not much to say so far really, pretty by-the-books. But it is cute, and the production values seem pretty good. Hoping for special things (and hopefully not so much :cnet special).

cajunator

Banned
Kancolle 1

Holy shit they sent 6 carriers in the first mission. In the game, just akagi herself will bankrupt your life saving.

Didnt know that. They wanted to go all out in the introductory episide I suppose!

If Mike and the gang are watching a good anime next time, Giant Robo would be a good choice. A terrific, underwatched OVA series. Would be fun to have some more discussion about it.

(Was everyone else as disappointed with the final episode as I was? From a story standpoint)

Well it has Ginrei in it so Im all for that!

CorvoSol

UFO ROBO GRENDIZER 52

edWM4jh.gif

This is what it is all about.

UFO Robo Grendizer is the third and final arc of the original Mazinger Trilogy by Go Nagai. It is, in a sense, the grand finale of the foundational myth of the whole of Giant Robot anime. You wouldn't know it from the show's beginnings, though.

Early on, Grendizer is an entirely unremarkable work of fiction that is derivative of its predecessors to the point of being formulaic in a way that even monster of the week shows really shouldn't be. The cast, especially, suffer from that a great deal. Hikaru Makiba is little more than a country bumpkin version of Getter Robo's Michiru Saotome, her brother Goro an almost perfect clone of Shiro Kabuto and Genki Saotome, their father an aged version of Joho with a flair for the Wild West. Other characters fill much the same roles that Super Robot shows require. Professor Umon is the Professor Yumi of the show, and there's even a dopey local bully. Although Duke Fleed differs from Kouji Kabuto greatly (and Kouji is present to help accentuate the differences between them), he himself begins as little more than your standard secret-identity super-hero.

However, somewhere around midway through the show's 80 episodes (so like, episode 40) dramatic changes seem to arise. Until you realize that there's nothing dramatic about these changes, and that they're the product of a series making long-winded but consistent use of its nigh-limitless air-time to develop and characterize its major cast members.

From examples like Duke's rather icy attitude and devotion to duty causing him to purposefully abandon several family members during the Fall of Planet Fleed to Kouji's decision to forgo his own attraction to Hikaru in order to prevent complications within the group, the entire cast develops personality traits, physical quirks (Duke carries a Vegatronic wound in his arm, which only hurts when Vegatron particles are near. Vegatron becomes an ever more important plot element as the series progresses) and general prowess. No character strikes me as having changed more over the course of the series than Hikaru Makiba.

The above images are a Before and After. Hikaru begins as a simplistic farmer's daughter. In a way she's less interesting at the outset than any girl in any of the major works of the era. She's not like Sayaka or Jun, her predecessors, who begin as determined pilots intent upon doing their part to prove themselves. She's not like Michiru Saotome, her chief inspiration, because Michiru is also a much more active player in things. No, Hikaru is just a kind, unaware girl who dreams of spending more time with the Ranch Hand, Duke Fleed.

As the show progresses and the Vegan Unified Forces increase their attacks and the entire cast is drawn more and more into Duke Fleed's world, Hikaru makes ever increasing efforts to help him and get to know him. After discovering his secret identity, Hikaru begins to take ever more drastic efforts to help him, going so far as to steal Kouji's ship so that she can aid him in battle. After the construction of the Marine Spazer, Hikaru is made an official pilot and goes on to slowly but steadily gain prowess in combat.

Around this same time her character is made over. She discards the rounded hairstyle, dress and hat of a farmer's daughter and takes up a more angular design and dress befitting of her shift in character from an uninformed, powerless farmgirl to a hardening soldier.

An important facet of this that I think Grendizer overlooks, a facet that Evangelion would go on to pick at mercilessly, is the fact that the net effect of the presence of Grendizer is the militarization of young people. There's a huge difference in -when- these shows came out. In Grendizer's era the idea of taking young people and militarizing them to fight aliens was barely objectionable. By Evangelion's day it was a much more scrutinized position to hold.

What Grendizer doesn't overlook, however, and what I think the works of Go Nagai and Ken Ishikawa do better than many successive Real Robot shows today do, is the basic humanity of the show's villains. The Vegan Unified Forces are an evil, evil bunch of bastards. They've enslaved worlds, destroyed their environments, burned Planet Fleed to the ground and killed its royal family, and wage a constant war against the planet Earth. They're not above forcing their slaves to fight for them, holding families hostage and dealing in terrible, terrible ways with others.

But all of that is very human, too, and there are good people among the VUF as well. Soldiers who are honorably fighting for their homeland, whose only crime is being born beneath the crown of Vega instead of in a freer part of the universe. And as the series progresses the villains are portrayed as ever more sympathetic and human. They worry about their pride, their reputations, their families, their dreams and ideals.

In this latest episode The Great Vega, the man who is ostensibly the evil ringleader of the entire show, is portrayed in a much more sympathetic light than I'd have ever expected. You see, the reason the VUF will do anything to get what they want is simple: Vega is dying. The star is exploding, the world is irradiated and nothing is left alive, and a chain reaction in their Vegatron energy systems spells the actual destruction of the world. A mad dash for escape and survival ensues, and as it does, The Great Vega overlooks his dying world and laments. Mind you this is the villain of a Super Robot show. All he should be doing is sitting on his throne and laughing maniacally, but he doesn't. He's sad because everything he's ever known goes up in a puff of fire and brimstone.

In conclusion, UFO Robo Grendizer is a show about progression. The cast, heroic and villainous, the technology, the designs, the action itself all begin as unassuming and uninteresting run of the mill conventions of the genre. But over the show's course they slowly become a gripping tale of interstellar war in which no one is really in the wrong. Some are simply more desperate than others.

Syrinx

Ping Pong 3

I think I should check out some of Yuasa's other stuff at some point.

One thing I like about this show is how the conversations play out with two different frames, focusing on the two characters in it (with more thrown in with reactions). Allows for more fluid expressions in the characters. (this technique is probably used a ton, including in some anime I've watched, but this is the first I've noticed its real impact).

Having Wenge and Smile match up this early was a bit unexpected. Smile's dominance of the match being played with just his humming in the background was great. Focused, yet calm and unrattled. Course Wenge wins once he got serious and remembered what he was truly playing for and as Smile began to lose steam.

Can't help but compare Smile to Houtarou from Hyouka in many ways. Both are reserved and standoffish, preferring to interact with others as little as they can. Both are extremely gifted, but reluctant to push forward and let their abilities shine. So far I guess the key difference is that Smile is being brought out of his shell by a mentor and a rival while Houtarou was pulled out (a lot slower, too) by a friend/romantic interest. Not that these two are even close to being the first of this archetype nor will they be the last, but Houtarou was the character I kept thinking of in regards to Smile.

Kyuur

Assassination Classroom 1

I've read the beginning of the manga before stopping. It's far better animated, will continue watching to see where they go with the concept. I do think they dropped hints on Koro's motivations way too early.

Death Parade 1

Fantastic! Time flew by while watching this, never a moment where I wasn't fully immersed in what I was watching. Good start to 2015 with this in the roster. As I already mentioned, the OP is fantastic even if it has nothing to do with the content of the show.

Tomorrow from There (Animator Expo)

Beautiful and uplifting. Definitely up there with the best ones so far (ME!ME!ME! and the cockroach one with the name that's too long to remember).

Ping Pong 3

One thing I like about this show is how the conversations play out with two different frames, focusing on the two characters in it (with more thrown in with reactions). Allows for more fluid expressions in the characters. (this technique is probably used a ton, including in some anime I've watched, but this is the first I've noticed its real impact).

The manga-esque panel approach that Ping Pong uses is unique among any anime that I've seen. It's a good approach for keeping your visuals dynamic when you can't have tons of animation.

Having Wenge and Smile match up this early was a bit unexpected. Smile's dominance of the match being played with just his humming in the background was great. Focused, yet calm and unrattled. Course Wenge wins once he got serious and remembered what he was truly playing for and as Smile began to lose steam.

They'll spell it out in the next episode, but
Smile threw the match. After hearing Wenge's coach chew him out and realizing what would happen to him if he lost, Smile didn't have the heart to beat him down.

HEROMAN - 21

Huh, I had assumed Psy's leg injury was caused by Will, but I never thought that
Will never meant to hurt him in the first place and that the whole thing was a football accident.

But in any case, things do seem to definitely be picking up again in terms of where this arc is headed.
So the Skrugg are definetly back, but is Kogorr also back? I also have a feeling it's Nick, considering their new colour scheme.

javac

So continues my viewing of this show. I should be finished tomorrow when I watch the last 8 episodes. My thoughts on Episode 1 - 2 as well as Episode 3 - 6 and Episode 7 - 11
So when I left off, Episode 11 was as mentioned a really high point. The quality of animation in that episode along with the imagery and audio was a notch above the rest of the show up until that point. I have to say Episode 12 in comparison was kind of weak but was serviceable. It was uphill from then onwards however. Episode 13 was an episode that really starts to delve into the relationships of each character and try’s to manipulate them in such a way that makes them much more interesting in the way that they interact with each other, and thus becomes a catalyst for what's to come. This is an episode that contains a pivotal moment that's for sure. Episode 14 rides off the previous one and is honestly a really good episode, one ripe with many emotional points. This is without doubt one of the more emotional Episodes. The tensions have never been higher and it's seriously the type of episode that I want to see more of.
I knew Episode 15 would be a treat and boy was it ever....but not in the manner in which I expected it to be. The episode drops the build-up found at the end of previous episode and takes a more sombre approach. This could have been a huge risk but it totally pays off. This episode is one that has a different pace and a different set of emotions that accompany it. Another great episode full of really nice art, interesting characters and a really nice soundtrack that manages to set itself apart from the rest of the show. It’s also full of cute moments, but very sincere in its delivery. Directed by Mitsuo Iso himself. It's really good! :D
Episode 16 yet again continues to carry the emotional highs of the previous episodes and is full of great moments that articulate just what kind of predicament the characters are in and what kind of state of mind they are left in. Really keeps you hooked and wanting to know more after the credits roll.
Episode 17 is kind of week and a lot slower but it's a necessary evil in order to set up the next few episodes. Still a good watch and keeps you fully invested. Just a change of pace is all! Finally, Episode 18, where I left off for the day. A lot more is going on, action is more frequent and overall a strong episode with an interesting ending. Can't wait to watch the last few episodes tomorrow! :)

cajunator

Banned

Ah so thats where its streaming.

Steins;Gate 4

Rintaro spends most of the episode searching for a IBN 5100 while I search up more information about the IBN 5100.

I have to say, what makes the show for me 4 episodes in is not just the intrigue but also the way the characters interact with one another. The way that Rintaro interacts with Makise for example gives the characters more personality and is entertaining to watch.

Also Ruka may be the prettiest boy I've seen in all of anime.

Ruka is quite popular.
the characters are definitely a lot more than they seem. One of Steins;Gates strengths.

Koufuku Graffiti - 01

This is so comfy. Ryou so far is pretty bland, except when she's eating. She just want to make good food and is bothered her food doesn't taste as it used to and wants to make her grandma proud.
Now this is where her unknown second cousin Senjougahara Kirin comes in, an exciting and spralling short girl who want some real goddamn food and not some shitty ass grass she's used to getting. She's a great counterpart to Ryou and is adorable (I'm pretty sure her handbag is some sort of sausage).

Most of this episode consisted of introducing Kirin to her new environment and develop a relationship with Ryou, though there was still some time dedicated to consuming food.
There's still one more main character that needs introduction, and we only saw a glimpse of her now. This will definetly be my wind down animu.

This looks very nice indeed. Cant wait to watch it.

Branduil

Death Parade 1

ib2gF3krtM63GS.jpg

A good depiction of how the husband's anger actually reflected back into self-loathing.

Does it go without saying that this show has the best OP of the season?

As a "second" introductory episode, this worked pretty well. It was fairly obvious what direction the story would go in, but it was still very well-executed and the twists were suitably paced and played-up. I think it's fair to say the ambiguity of who actually "won" each match is going to be a staple of the series. The two episodes in the "Death" series so far have been very competent examples of a procedural in the Twilight Zone vein, which by itself makes it very unique in not just anime but all TV.

It looks like the next episode might depart from the formula, though, so it will be interesting to see how the series holds up without that, and if the worldbuilding will help or hinder the show.

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis END

The ending definitely felt rushed and I wish we had one more episode for more breathing room. Regardless, I loved this show. Got really weak when the whole angels / demons storyline started to pop up but the strong characters and animation made this a joy to watch. One of the best of the fall season for sure.

The fight with Bahamut felt like something out of Shadow of the Colossus. I liked how he was depicted in a more background-art style to emphasize his massive scale.
He was basically a flying mountain. Also, climb to the head and stick your sword in the shiny spot. Nice.

Its probably the one series that would do better as a monster-of-the-week type of show. Adventures of Favaro or something. I also like how it ended like it started, that was a nice touch.

The game makes bazillions, give us a second season!

Moyashimon Tales of Agriculture (live action) 1 - Well, the anime was pretty good. This live action stuff seems a bit rough. I'll keep at it, though. Funimation's constant freezing is more likely to break me than the show's questionable acting.

Death Parade 01

I'm loving the color palate they used for this show. It's real dark and moody, which perfectly suits the tone the show is going for. Also really love the dark storylines that make you question what direction its headed in constantly. I like shows that end up subverting my expectations. Also that Fucking OP! Best one in the season so far.

Link Man

Banned
Rage of Bahamut: Genesis END

The ending definitely felt rushed and I wish we had one more episode for more breathing room. Regardless, I loved this show. Got really weak when the whole angels / demons storyline started to pop up but the strong characters and animation made this a joy to watch. One of the best of the fall season for sure.

Its probably the one series that would do better as a monster-of-the-week type of show. Adventures of Favaro or something. I also like how it ended like it started, that was a nice touch.

The game makes bazillions, give us a second season!

Yeah, would have definitely felt better if they focused on the bounty hunting and spaghetti western aesthetic.

Narag

Not biased, nope not at all.

Seriously though, if you're a fan of 60's style Tezuka-inpired art design and characters/storytelling, only animated with a big 80's/90's OVA budget and a masterful orchestral score, it's a must watch. Falls just short of being a masterpiece, mostly due to the ending.

WveT88u.png

Everything Imagawa touches is a masterpiece. I wouldn't describe it as Tezuka-inspired art either when nearly every (maybe all!) characters are borrowed from the various works of Mitsuteru Yokoyama.

Death Parade 1
The show seems pretty good. I love the OP. The atmosphere is excellent for the show and the development between the characters seems very intriguing and the way the guy turns crazy after
he learns that he's dead
is pretty cool. I don't quite get what happens to the couple in the end though.
I do get that the guy reincarnates into another life while the girl goes the void, however why is their imagery of happiness for the elevator where the guy goes and a demon over the elevator for the girl. The void isn't hell though. it's more an ideal place, at least according to Buddhism which I assume the show is borrowing the concept from. Is it suppose to be a very existential thing that varies from person to person

Instro

Yeah, would have definitely felt better if they focused on the bounty hunting and spaghetti western aesthetic.

I don't so much mind that the show went in the direction it did,as it was expected from the first episode, but there definitely needed to be some standalone episodes related to bounty hunting. Maybe this show could have done with 2 hours.

cajunator

Banned
So, I've started another watchbet.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha 1

ib1cVTJjEZfXbs.jpg

Getting strong Cardcaptor Sakura vibes from just the OP.

Well, that was a stylish opening. Hope to see more like that.

OP song used as ringtone. Of course.

An introduction scene straight from a VN.

When life gives you lemons, throw them at your friend's face!

Random english.

Some really nice animation and use of cinematography at times.

Soundtrack in the second half is really good, too.

...aaaaand we're lewd.

Not much to say so far really, pretty by-the-books. But it is cute, and the production values seem pretty good. Hoping for special things (and hopefully not so much :cnet special).

You seem to get pretty lucky with watchbets. Nanoha is really fun. However you MUST watch A's. Trust me you will do yourself a great disservice if you dont!

Girls and Food(Koufuku Graffiti) 01

I asked for cute girls eating food animated by SHAFT and I got cute girls eating food animated by SHAFT. How could I possibly be disappointed? Awesome OP and ED are gravy on on this well cooked turkey. And now I'm hungry for more of this and actual food.

wan wan wan~

Narag

I don't so much mind that the show went in the direction it did,as it was expected from the first episode, but there definitely needed to be some standalone episodes related to bounty hunting. Maybe this show could have done with 2 hours.

I think that's part of my problem with it. The first four episodes have this nice looses sequential feeling to them as you get to know Favaro, Kaisar, and Amira but episodes 5-12 are so much more tightly interconnected that it feels like every additional character was just sort of dumped in haphazardly in order to facilitate the end result of the story. Giving the secondary cast time to breathe and develop would have done wonders for it.

Garo 13
I hope Leon finally found his way now.
And funky new OP. Who would have thought.

Death Parade 1
More like an introduction episode. I think they will do more world building next week.
And funky OP.

what with funky OPs this season?

Jarmel

Banned
I feel like the OP for Death Parade was a masterstroke. Most OPs tend to go for something matching the tone of the work but by going with something so contrasting, I feel like it actually betters the series. The OP is really good on its own and a lot of fun but it also serves as a way of lightening the mood of the show. The show is going to by and large deal with the scumbags of humanity being put into high tension situations and this could come off as somewhat grating and tiresome but the OP serves a way of breaking this tension and potentially monotony for the audience. Also all of life is a game, so why not have some fun?

Garo 13

Finally we get to see Leon get knocked off his fucking high horse for once. It was great to see this kid chilled the fucked out once he got over his "I wish I were dead," portion of the episode. Like how they introduced just the right kinda family for him to recover with physically and mentally. I expect this experience to result in a more likable character at the end of it.

Jarmel

Banned
Cinderella G-1

I feel like this is so much better than the previous Idolm@ster series I'm going through. The focus on a smaller group is seeming to do wonders for the show as I get a better appreciation for the characters and the pacing isn't so hectic. The girls themselves also seem more mature than the previous batch. I'm sure some nerds are howling somewhere that all 20 or whatever of the girls weren't introduced.

I'm also liking the new Producer-san a lot.

School Days 6-9
Looking forward to whenever Makoto's lack of commital bites in the butt. This show is just a riot. So stupid it's hilarious. Every chance he gets, he sticks his dick in it. The girls seem to have stupid reasons for liking him too especially the other two. It's impressive how much of a trainwreck this is.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm really struggling to finish this Shaft cooking show episode.

It doesn't feel like Shinbo Shaft that much and is boring as dirt. Maybe people that like Hidamari might like this.

Edit: Can't finish this shit. Dropped

Narag

Is koufoku graffiti on Crunchy yet? Cant find it.

Coming at you next ~ we have Gourmet Girl Graffiti!

Gourmet Girl Graffiti will begin airing Saturday January 10th, at 8 PM Pacific Time for Premium and will be available one week later for Free members.

Gourmet Girl Graffiti will be available to Crunchyroll Members in the following territories: USA and Canada.

Branduil

Idolmaster: Cinderella Girls 1

Well that was a lot better than the first episode of the previous series. Turns out that introductions work better when it's one character at a time instead of a million at once. Also helps to not have the weird male gaze mocumentary thing.

Will watch for the socially awkward and intimidating producer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom