• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sölf

I want to ask some hard questions about whether this nebulous "everyone" should be trusted.

Of course he should be trusted, he likes the show!

The first few episodes are better than the last few, because it has more "style". Style over substance basically. Later on you get more story, but because of that it actually gets worse. Still, worth watching it for Favarro alone.

i needs me sum more romcoms. so far I've seen:
my little monster
Toradora!
Golden Time
My Love Story!!
My Teen Romantic Comedy 1 & 2 (this one has been my favorite)
Kimi ni Todoke (this one is pretty shitty)

I've gotten really into this genre as of late. >_>

Anyway, gonna embark onto a new genre of animes, parody! I'll be starting with Osomatsu-san.

Also, why isn't it April 1st yet? I want my god damn jojo!

Just T

Yeah Rage of Bahamut is pretty great imo, has it flaws of course but what it did right I enjoyed immensely. Also what a beautiful ED it has.

Sölf

my little monster
Toradora!
Golden Time
My Love Story!!

Anyway, gonna embark onto a new genre of animes, parody! I'll be starting with Osomatsu-san.

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei/Engaged to the Unidentified
That one is pretty funny, from 1 or 2 years ago.

A bit different, but maybe also interesting: Midori no Hibi
I would recommend the manga, because the anime only covers roughly 1/3 (and the manga only has 8 volumes). Not really a traditional RomCom maybe, but you may enjoy it.

And, well, does School Rumble count as a RomCom? It's comedy for the most part and not that much romance, even though it has quite a bit. The ending is sadly horrible and instead of a full 3rd season we only got the last 2 episodes, so the 1/3 of the manga is missing except for the last few chapters. It's still a great show and I recommend it, even if it has more comedy than the others imo.

Osomatsu-san 25

VERY underwhelming finale. I know this show is all about the silly stuff, but what they showed us last week was basically all for nothing. Goddamnit. I had a few laughs here and there, but this show had quite some flaws. Still not the worst of the bunch that I watched.

Russ T

Banned
I would put Rage of Bahamut above average.

It's not without its flaws, but it's a lot of fun.

Yup, it ain't perfect, but nothin' is. I'm excited for this new season. Hope it's good! I have my doubts, as I worry it might go lore-heavy like the latter bits of the first season, but... what if it doesn't. O:

my little monster
Toradora!
Golden Time
My Love Story!!

Please I dont want to jump to april 1st yet, I need my rush hour tv show on the end of this month, anime can wait [1] day.

----

Also for romances shows, I suggest Glasslip and My Little Monster. And for parody stuff, SketDance is a must watch.

pbayne

my little monster
Toradora!
Golden Time
My Love Story!!

!

Whats the problem with Kimi ni Todoke?
Is it the progress screeching to a halt in season 2 for an incredibly bullshit mis-understanding?

Anyways here's some recentish recommendations:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/240/Genshiken-Genshiken
http://myanimelist.net/anime/853/Ouran_Koukou_Host_Club-Ouran Host Club
http://myanimelist.net/anime/14289/Sukitte_Ii_na_yo-Say I love you
http://myanimelist.net/anime/18139/Tonari_no_Seki-kun-Tonari no Seki-kun
http://myanimelist.net/anime/21647/Tamako_Love_Story-Tamako Love Story
http://myanimelist.net/anime/8129/Kuragehime-Princess Jellyfish
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2034/Lovely%E2%98%85Complex-Lovely complex
http://myanimelist.net/anime/4722/Skip_Beat-Skip Beat

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Snow White with the Red Hair 24

Well that was a cute end. Nice romance with fun characters to back it up. Raj was the best character followed by Obi, but everyone was enjoyable overall.
Did this have an ending?

Whats the problem with Kimi ni Todoke?
Is it the progress screeching to a halt in season 2 for an incredibly bullshit mis-understanding?

Anyways here's some recentish recommendations:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/240/Genshiken-Genshiken
http://myanimelist.net/anime/853/Ouran_Koukou_Host_Club-Ouran Host Club
http://myanimelist.net/anime/14289/Sukitte_Ii_na_yo-Say I love you
http://myanimelist.net/anime/18139/Tonari_no_Seki-kun-Tonari no Seki-kun
http://myanimelist.net/anime/21647/Tamako_Love_Story-Tamako Love Story
http://myanimelist.net/anime/8129/Kuragehime-Princess Jellyfish
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2034/Lo...2%98%85Complex-Lovely complex
http://myanimelist.net/anime/4722/Skip_Beat-Skip Beat

Kimi ni Todoke isn't really a romance, so watching it for that would be disappointing if that's what you're looking for. Hell, just look at how the live action movie ends.

Genshiken isn't quite a romcom either... since it's really more the original "nerd culture" text that preceded the bombardment of shittiness that we live in today.

(I'd say Kuragehime probably isn't a romcom either, but then again I don't remember what it was about.)

I still think Ano Natsu is one of the best romcoms I've seen in the last few years. No bullshit, the couple is set fairly early on, and it crushes the spirit of the worst girl. Perfect.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It pretty much does. The only thing it's missing is an official engagement.
That's something. I might catch up with this one.

Oh on a related note, that wind girl show from last year was a decent fantasy romcom. For the life of me I can't remember what it was called though.

Damn the Haikyu finale was hype as fuck. No wonder they had to announce S3 so quickly. That wasn't an ending!
Did they sports ball?!

pbayne

Genshiken isn't quite a romcom either... since it's really more the original "nerd culture" text that preceded the bombardment of shittiness that we live in today.

(I'd say Kuragehime probably isn't a romcom either, but then again I don't remember what it was about.)

I still think Ano Natsu is one of the best romcoms I've seen in the last few years. No bullshit, the couple is set fairly early on, and it crushes the spirit of the worst girl. Perfect.

Kuragehime has a bit of romance though it doesn't get too deep into it admittedly. Still a fun show though.

Woah ted don't lump Genshiken in with otaku type shows now. It has multiple romances that progress throughout the show and all have actual payoffs. Pls the show is really funny.

And sure the characters are otakus but they're a far cry from how that group is depicted in anime now. Yeah they are a bit shy or awkward but they're aren't completely socially inept and they're self-aware and mature enough enough to not let their hobbies define them.(Thats what all of season 2 is about)

Shirayuki 24

Such a sweet ending I think I got diabetes. Feels good man, in an industry full of angst and edge, and all that, to just have something sweet and happy to finish things off. The manga is still ongoing, so I wouldn't mind a third season of this.

With only two shows to go until the season is over, and with these two being two easy shows to rank, here's how my season went from better to worse:

1 - Rakugo (AOTS/AOTY contender)
2 - Grimgar (got progressively better as time went on, this may be my "Rokka of the season" that will make it to my top 10 of the year)
3 - Haikyuu!! S2 (amazing series, full of good feels that gets you pumped)
4 - Gundam IBO (another amazing series that did not make me a believer in the genre, but I will continue this series onto S2)
5 - KonoSuba (hilarious, looking forward to S2)
6 - ERASED (took a dive, good characters roped into really weird thriller action)
7 - Koyomimonogatari (still a clusterfuck but I love it for the characters)
8 - Shirayuki S2 (comfiest show of the season)
9 - Osomatsu-san (sometimes funny, sometimes not)
10 - GATE S2 (glorious nippon shall always win and save everyone)
11 - Dimension W (plot was a bit too confusing at times, felt rushed. MCs were great though)
12 - Phantom World (this one hurts because it could have been so much more, and we got hints of that on the last few episodes)

pbayne

Sölf;199476862 said:
Ah, I haven't finished that, but... RomCom? That's more like insane comedy with little to no romance at all.

Its my own view admittedly but does no one else kind of see the series as two kids that have a crush one another?

The guy always trying to get the girls attention by any means and her unable to take her eyes off him? Maybe its just me that sees it that way.

This is a friendly reminder that G Gundam has a better love confession scene than those in probably every other romance anime that ever exists.

Thank you, and have a nice day. :)

As much as I like good endings, I'll take a strong show without a conclusive ending over a mediocre show with one.

Its my own view admittedly but does no one else kind of see the series as two kids that have a crush one another?

The guy always trying to get the girls attention by any means and her unable to take her eyes off him? Maybe its just me that sees it that way.

That possibility is there but it's not something the show itself explores.

Much like Erased, when people say that they like Bahamut or that Bahamut is good they mean they like the first handful of episodes.
Well if that's true, then it lasted longer in terms of quality than the Dagashi Kashi anime.

sonicmj1

Much like Erased, when people say that they like Bahamut or that Bahamut is good they mean they like the first handful of episodes.

Bahamut is good all the way through, and the first handful of episodes are really great.

The only episode that's really subpar is the one with that dragon in the forest that exists solely to drive the plot forward faster.

Cornbread78

True Tears ep.10-END
Ok, at least they got they story under control by the end of it all and made it make sense. The drama got pretty intense there for a little bit, however everything was settled. I get what Basil was saying about being a bitter-sweet ending, but that was better than I imagined they would come up with seeing as the mess they had going on earlier.
although, that siscon shit was a friggen' curveball I wasn't expecting; wtf. Good job saying no Nao!
I guess in the end, the right ship happened, but yeah, the other girl got screwed over, but it was legitimately done.
I liked Nao as well, but Hiromi was the right choice and led to the sweet scene in the snow. Yes, they were made for each other from the start with their backs story and everything that happened between them
. Amen for
Hiromi forcing Shin to make
things right before anything else happened because far too often not having a diffinitive winner leads to thise stupid ambiguous endings. Verdict: started crazy, but settled down and was a decent watch in the end, unless your ship lost, then, well...

duckroll

I think there are 2 subpar episodes of Bahamut. The forest one wasn't great, but for me the real downer was that episode in the middle of the big capital battle where Favaro and Kaiser fight the demon together. The timing throughout the episode felt really awkward for some reason. Some cuts were too slow, some were too fast, the action didn't flow as smoothly as it usually does, etc.

kewlmyc

Osomatsu-san 25

So this is how it feels to be trolled. :/

Regardless, it was a pretty funny episodes and a funny overall series. The show could be hit and miss at times (what comedy isn't), but the hits were fantastic (Iyami Kart, Jyushimatsu in Love, Todomatsu and the 5 Demons). Looking forward to another season.

When the focus of Bahamut switched from swashbuckling adventure to Angels, Demons and generic JRPG dragons it lost me - but I did really enjoy the first few episodes and I'd love more of that.

House of Five Leaves 9

I really like Masa's development. Over the course of the series he has gradually become more confident, more assertive, and more daring. It's been such a slow change that you hardly notice it - there's no major events which suddenly change his personality or behavior - but he would never have taken the initiative to rescue Matsu at the beginning of the series. All the characters feel really organic in how they act, but he perhaps most of all.

I do wish the show would let there be silence a little more. Having the constant stream of vaguely appropriate music going gets a little monotonous and actually distracts from the grounded nature of the show rather than enhancing the atmosphere.

Since there's been a lot of discussion lately about forced cliffhangers in relation to Erased, I was amused that this episode had a penultimate scene setting up a hook of a shady man looking for Yaichi that could easily have been used as a cliffhanger, but instead the episode ends a pleasant scene between Masa and his sister. An anti-cliffhanger, if you will.

Just T

Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm: 12

Decent finish, the match was pretty good and things settled down nicely. Overall, it had some fun moments, the matches were nice even though I'm not entirely sure how the rules work cause some of the shit they pull feel like a referee should step in or something but there were some hype moments. Pretty sure Masaya is the MC but you, along with the show will forget that. Most of the characters were bearable, others had some awful ass dialogue. With all that said though still wouldn't recommend this.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SWORD ART ONLINE - EPISODE THREE: The Red-Nosed Reindeer

I've always...really liked this episode. Yes, Kirito is being dumb by not telling them his level. They'd probably think it was cool to hang out with some lowbies. It's not his fault that they all died though, he told them not to go into that dungeon or go into that room. Nicholas the Renegade is the baddest ass Santa boss since Secret of Mana.

L5RbciL.gif

my little monster
Toradora!
Golden Time
My Love Story!!
Woah! I have watched all of them as well o_O
Only My Little Monster not. Looks good though, will watch.

faridmon

Gonna give Shingeki no Bahamut a try since everyone here seems to really like it.

Its really good, but that mostly stems that I had very low expectation going in. Be prepared blown away by the visuals for the first few episodes in the very least.

Just set yourself a low expectation and you will have a good time.

People seem to shit on the ending, but I liked it. It was a good conclusion to the tupsy-tervy adventure the trio were having, albeit the whole ''war'' scene felt very rushed.

Tuck

Gonna give Shingeki no Bahamut a try since everyone here seems to really like it.

Started out great. Plot gets kind of messy and dumb by the end, but I enjoyed it enough.

Garo is similar, but actually stays consistently awesome through its 2 hour run.

TUSR

Banned
SWORD ART ONLINE - EPISODE THREE: The Red-Nosed Reindeer

I've always...really liked this episode. Yes, Kirito is being dumb by not telling them his level. They'd probably think it was cool to hang out with some lowbies. It's not his fault that they all died though, he told them not to go into that dungeon or go into that room. Nicholas the Renegade is the baddest ass Santa boss since Secret of Mana.

L5RbciL.gif
This episode made me cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom