• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
I'm being facetious. Grimgar looked fine when they put effort into it, but they wasted a lot of time on crappy insert song sequences, etc.

Clov

You're in luck; Stan Lee is attached to the upcoming anime The Reflection with Hiroshi Nagahama, the director of Mushishi and Flowers of Evil, at Studio DEEN.

Woah, when did this happen? Not sure how well Stan Lee and Nagahama will mix, though. Is this going to be something more goofy like Detroit Metal City?

Woah, when did this happen? Not sure how well Stan Lee and Nagahama will mix, though. Is this going to be something more goofy like Detroit Metal City?

It was announced a little while ago. Nagahama has long said that his dream anime project is a collaboration with Stan Lee, and he finally managed to make it happen. Umakoshi is probably involved as well.

What the end project ends up being is anyone's guess. Little is known beyond its basic premise, which is the most generic superhero setup possible.

studyguy

It wasn't budget; it was time. The production was very ambitious, and it ran out of time to keep up that same quality until the end. Episode 11 set a record for the most animation directors working on a single TV episode.

Ah well that explains it. It was a strange drop out of the blue. Still fun though.

Clov

It was announced a little while ago. Nagahama has long said that his dream anime project is a collaboration with Stan Lee, and he finally managed to make it happen. Umakoshi is probably involved as well.

What the end project ends up being is anyone's guess. Little is known beyond its basic premise, which is the most generic superhero setup possible.

Well, I'm happy that he's getting to work on his dream project! I've enjoyed all his work so far, so I'll remain optimistic about it. Any release date?

Grimgar will definitely need to be cleaned up. The director of the show admitted on twitter.

I gotta say, I actually enjoyed some of the songs in Grimgar. Some didn't fit at all though.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Can't wait to see comparison between Bd and tv ver. Of grimgar.

At least it wasn't as bad as yoru no yatterman final episode.

studyguy

Grimgar will definitely need to be cleaned up. The director of the show admitted on twitter.

I gotta say, I actually enjoyed some of the songs in Grimgar. Some didn't fit at all though.

Ranta's magic helmet was pretty funny though. He had left it elsewhere and suddenly it appeared on his head after a scene that showed him explicitly not having it on. Pretty sure that was one of the things the director specifically mentioned cleaning up.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I really need to stop poking in here until I catch up on Monogatari. I've been marathoning the series in proper order and I just finished Tsuki. Stop tempting me with your Owaris, Koyomis, and Kizus, AnimeGAF! I will not peak!

thHXSBW.gif

Mono SS is probably one of my favorite seasons ever because freaking Kaiki is amazing I love this show can't stop marathoning send help

Heroman End

hwdnYRE.jpg

A really simple show done well is probably the best way to describe this. I enjoy the moral simplicity here as here are the good guys, this is why you root for them and here's the bad guys, this is why you boo them. Very Saturady morning-esque but it gets the job done.

Glad you liked it! Heroman is good at what it does, but those S2 teases are just the worst. I need more Heroman! Heroman Heroman Heroman. Did I mention Heroman?

Osomatsu 25 END

So the ending is everyone dies? Sweet.

Overall I enjoyed Osomatsu a lot. The second half was great all the way through after some hiccups in the first half but the show has always looked great. Since the show has been an unmitigated success with a format that allows it to run into infinity I look forward to the inevitable second season.

Defuser

A pity that TOHO executives have to meddle which I feel it's half of Grimgar's problems.
Grimgar one of the better MMORPG shows because it borrow MMORPG elements while establishing it as a natural occurance without referencing to a game.

Osomatsu 25 END

So the ending is everyone dies? Sweet.

Have to bump this up just for that Jin-Roh reference.

A pity that TOHO executives have to meddle which I feel it's half of Grimgar's problems.
Grimgar one of the better MMORPG shows because it borrow MMORPG elements while establishing it as a natural occurance without referencing to a game.

Eh, it still feels contrived even if it isn't explictly a game world. I'd really prefer a version of Grimgar set in a more organic fantasy world than one so heavily derived from game mechanics.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mahou Shoujo Nante Mouiidesukara

And so it ended… just like that.

It had its moments in poking fun at the magic girl genre but it didn't really go anywhere.

Also some imagery was a bit oh dear even with the premise that her magical outfit is a swimsuit.

Mahou Shoujo Nante Mouiidesukara

And so it ended… just like that.

It had its moments in poking fun at the magic girl genre but it didn't really go anywhere.

Also some imagery was a bit oh dear even with the premise that her magical outfit is a swimsuit.

That OP was nice though. Hopefully the director will go back to doing more things like Yona of the Dawn.

Osomatsu - 25 [End]

The scene near the end was great. Entertaining episode full of absurd stuff as usual.
Second half of the show is definitely stronger than the first half in my opinion. My favorite episode of the whole show is the Kart one (EP 18). I'll eagerly await more Osomatsu!

JulianImp

Koyomimono #10-12
I'm glad to see that there was more to these arcs than just short stories that didn't actually matter all that much in the grand scheme of things. That final episode, though... not only did
Koyomi get killed
, but
he then wakes up lying somewhere strange and Hachikuji greets him
?

...I need more.

Man, I really need to stop poking in here until I catch up on Monogatari. I've been marathoning the series in proper order and I just finished Tsuki. Stop tempting me with your Owaris, Koyomis, and Kizus, AnimeGAF! I will not peak!

Mono SS is probably one of my favorite seasons ever because freaking Kaiki is amazing I love this show can't stop marathoning send help

Yes you should. Monogatari's definitely my favorite show because of how strange it is and how it manages to make really long conversations the focus of the show without becoming boring or annoying. On top of that, the cast and their interactions are good, and the plot actually moves forward constantly.

I'm really bitter about no Kaiki figures being released after SS, but barring a later arc where he happens to be really relevant again I don't think it's ever going to happen at this rate...

Koyomimono #10-12
I'm glad to see that there was more to these arcs than just short stories that didn't actually matter all that much in the grand scheme of things. That final episode, though... not only did
Koyomi get killed
, but
he then wakes up lying somewhere strange and Hachikuji greets him
?

...I need more.

It leads directly into the next major arc which is
Mayoi Hell.

Cornbread78

Trinity 7 ep. 8-10
6qyqa71.png
u5J44OA.png

The show is a lot of fun to watch even if they are getting into "serious" mode as it comes to a close. This could have been a lot of fun if they extended this series to 24 episodes and explored the relationships and harem aspects more, but oh well. Let's see how they close out these last couple episodes and get his long lost bestie/cousin/childhood friend back

JulianImp

It leads directly into the next major arc which is
Mayoi Hell.

Oh, that's actually the only plausible explanation I found after Koyomi's ending. Looks like
Gaen did manage to target Koyomi when nobody else wasn't there to help him, but she might've overlooked Mayoi being on the other side where she could possibly lend him a hand.

I don't know if I'll be able to take another farewell scene, though.

The next game is coming out in September, so there won't be any ten year wait if they decide to make an anime adaptation for that too.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. They must have announced this recently. Hopefully an anime adaptation will be made, since the games have never been localized here.

trembli0s

The previous shingeki no bahamut fell apart towards the end and that had only one cour, so this isn't inherently good news to me either. If it ends up being good and the pacing is better for it, sure, more will be better.

IMO Bahamut 1 fell apart because they had to hammer in the Bahamut part of the plot in the last few episodes very quickly.

I mean, we had a nominally "noble" good guy turn complete heel and be a character we literally had no idea who he was or what he did until the last 2(?) episodes. Even then, the reveal quite literally meant nothing as the audience had no connection to what he did.

Up until they "went" to Helheim the show was one of my favorites of all time, then they had to race through. I think the show worked much stronger as a Mushishi/Bebop adventure per episode or two

Cornbread78

Trinity 7 ep11-END
dzWyljl.png
9Kpn9f6.jpg

That ending battle was kind of anti-climactic, but they left it wide open for a season 2. I'm not sure how this series sold, so it may not ever come. Overall, this series was trashy, but not has bad as you might think. Arata was a good MC for a change and the harem chicks all played their roles nicely without all the drama and angst that some harems go through. This was just plain fun to watch even though the story was a mess at times.

And yes, full harem ending with no remorse.

Qurupeke

Osomatsu-san [END]

I have no idea what happened. lol I'll gladly take a S2 now. Sometimes too obnoxious but overall enjoyable comedy.

Finally got to watching the weekend series'.

My verdict:

Utawarerumono: Garbage ending, but I expected it.
Dimension W: Garbage ending, but I expected it.
Nurse Witch Komugi R: The last bastion of hope for Japanimation.

Genshiken Season 2 Ep. 1-4
This feels a bit different to the first season. More fanservice. Less showing of otaku culture, a bit more "normal" anime story. It's good though.

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru [1-12 complete]

Well if there's one thing the show have no shortage of is character development, the whole thing is like 80% character development. Kinda dull when it's dealing with mundane 'mysteries;, but it always perks up whether it's a real crime involved.

It's okay I guess, just manage your expectations going in.

pbayne

Genshiken Season 2 Ep. 1-4
This feels a bit different to the first season. More fanservice. Less showing of otaku culture, a bit more "normal" anime story. It's good though.

If you think its different now wait until season 3. It's almost unrecognizable from what the series starts out as.

Yeah they move away from the otaku stuff(there is a good reason for that) to develop the characters more.

Also how much do you hate Kuchiki? I know he's written to be annoying but fuck he has such a punchable face.

If you think its different now wait until season 3. It's almost unrecognizable from what the series starts out as.

Yeah they move away from the otaku stuff(there is a good reason for that) to develop the characters more.

Also how much do you hate Kuchiki? I know he's written to be annoying but fuck he has such a punchable face.
Haha, Kuchiki is hateable ;) I'm rooting for Ogiue and Sasahara to get closer. Season 1 had some parts which actually made me laugh out loud. That is very rare for me. This is also funny but not as much as season 1. I had no clue there was a third season tbh o_O

Hakaba Kitaro 5

The direction is so good! The stylishness of the cuts and the general visual framework really helps draw me into the setting, even when the main characters tend to be somewhat unlikable. I do feel bad for poor Neko though.

Chindogg

Trinity 7 ep11-END
dzWyljl.png
9Kpn9f6.jpg

That ending battle was kind of anti-climactic, but they left it wide open for a season 2. I'm not sure how this series sold, so it may not ever come. Overall, this series was trashy, but not has bad as you might think. Arata was a good MC for a change and the harem chicks all played their roles nicely without all the drama and angst that some harems go through. This was just plain fun to watch even though the story was a mess at times.

And yes, full harem ending with no remorse.

The best part of the manga is that fact the MC's trying to get every girl of the harem naked and his biggest struggle is the ninja girl.

Just T

Osomatsu-san: 25

Well that was wild, especially those last couple of minutes. This was a pretty good show, not all the skits delivered but the ones that did were really enjoyable and I think it got better as it went along. Would watch a second season.

pbayne

Haha, Kuchiki is hateable ;) I'm rooting for Ogiue and Sasahara to get closer. Season 1 had some parts which actually made me laugh out loud. That is very rare for me. This is also funny but not as much as season 1. I had no clue there was a third season tbh o_O

Yeah id say the humor goes down a bit as Madarame and Kasukabe aren't focused on as much.

Lol the third season(its not labeled as such its called Genshiken Nidaime). If you do watch it eventually try to go into it blind. Just fyi there is an OVA to bridge season 2 & 3 http://myanimelist.net/anime/19159/Genshiken_Nidaime_OVA. Yeah its a weird series in that the OVA are actually crucial to the story.

Sterok

Snow White with the Red Hair 24

Well that was a cute end. Nice romance with fun characters to back it up. Raj was the best character followed by Obi, but everyone was enjoyable overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom