• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Damn... I was hoping you'd finish Cross Ange, haha

"Hen desu ne? Fushigi desu ne? Kowai desu ne?" - Ougi Oshino

Maybe sometime I will, but it's pretty down there in my list of priorities as far as anime series are concerned. I'm way more likely to continue my rewatch Monogatari now than picking Ange back up.

Line_HTX

"Hen desu ne? Fushigi desu ne? Kowai desu ne?" - Ougi Oshino

Maybe sometime I will, but it's pretty down there in my list of priorities as far as anime series are concerned. I'm way more likely to continue my rewatch Monogatari now than picking Ange back up.

LOL, I read that in the seiyu's tone exactly. So good.

watched the first 11 episodes of Lovely Complex, its alright I guess. Although the main guy is pretty annoying imo. His stupidity is just frustrating to watch, no one can be this dense.

Exalted

Koyomimonogatari Episode 1 - 6

Quite enjoyable episodes, but don't think i liked this as much as the normal length episodes from the other seasons. Probably didn't help that i watched them all at once, since with each episode having a selfcontained story of it own, it felt less impactful that the normal arcs from other seasons which had multiple full length episodes to tell a story. I did like all the different intros.

JulianImp

LOL, I read that in the seiyu's tone exactly. So good.

Yup. Monogatari rocks since it really exploits all of its characters
besides the Fire Sisters
and the tropes they were built from. It's like the show makes a point about originating from tropes, but continously exploring them and eventually shedding them for the sake of actual character development.

I've really warmed up to how unique Ougi is as of late, since the character doesn't feel like a trickster/cruel entity anymore, but rather like the embodiment of the abyss that looks back into you. It isn't quite unsettling in a Lynchesque way, but it does add an interesting contrast between the relatable human emotions the rest of the cast feel and how strange and ominous Ougi is.

Qurupeke

Koyomimonogatari Episode 1 - 6

Quite enjoyable episodes, but don't think i liked this as much as the normal length episodes from the other seasons. Probably didn't help that i watched them all at once, since with each episode having a selfcontained story of it own, it felt less impactful that the normal arcs from other seasons which had multiple full length episodes to tell a story. I did like all the different intros.

Most of the remaining episodes are better than the first bunch. And the last episode...

Taruranto

Show about mysteries no one watched #12
Bb5aiOS.jpg

xauRP4i.jpg

Chika was better at being gay than the actual gay character, how about that.

Fucking sucked!

It's rather good but his density really could've been toned down here and there. It's not like there isn't a good justification for it in general, it's going overboard several times that's annoying.

yea thats my frustration with it. she's about to cry in the classroom and for the 100th time tells him that the person she likes is him and he's still not even sure about it. like jesus christ, i get that he's supposed to be dense but this is just getting ridiculous. Well at least I'm done with that part and now he's aware.

Lovely Complex does go a bit too deep into the shoujo tropes and stalling tactics to the point where it hurts the characterization of its characters. IIRC they even pull out the memory loss card. And there was that cringeworthy stuff where the main character
goes after the teacher.

JulianImp

You saying Ougi-chan is Nietzsche?

It does kind of feel like Ougi's above and beyond human reasoning for the most part, like some sort of Nietzschean superman (note: I haven't read about it, so this might not actually be the case).

It's also like Ougi's presence is beyond even Gaen's calculations, as it is Ougi's meddling that sets Nadeko's second arc in motion, and that had seriously big repercussions for the whole cast. With Gaen supossedly being aware of everything, it could be that Ougi's literally the nothing, the unfathomable, the one thing (or non-thing?) she couldn't ever prepare herself for.

zulux21

It was never stated that ace of the diamond refereed to or was sawamuras tale though. If it was then I dont think he'd have had Furuya on the team. Why trap himself with the writing by powering up Furuya so much thats its impossible for Sawamura to become an ace without an injury/transfer to Furuya.

uh... he isn't?
neither pitcher is perfect. Furuya is there to be a roadblock to eventually overcome.

odds are Ace of Diamond will continue to release manga for 10+ years.

Goro didn't get into the majors by the end of the second season just like Samamura didn't become the ace in that time. they are long term plans that will likely be seen on Ace of Diamond after they lose this tourney, and then win the next one with the help of the new players they have been showing off before getting a time jump so the real Ace of the show Miyuki can still play with them :p

Hey now, Shomin Sample is...uh...

...nah you're right.

You're a monster. LoveCom da besssssss

that isn't how you spell skip beat :p

Lovely Complex does go a bit too deep into the shoujo tropes and stalling tactics to the point where it hurts the characterization of its characters. IIRC they even pull out the memory loss card. And there was that cringeworthy stuff where the main character
goes after the teacher.

Everything about that character is so anime and so bad :/

Cornbread78

Ah My Buddha ep.1-3
Ok, so far so funny. He's got a group of women around him, but no "harem" hyjinks just yet. You guys (I forget who's rec this was,lol) are right, the MC is another pervy one, but nowhere near as cool as Arata, lol. We have an interesting set-up here, so let's see what happens.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
I'm usually not an Anime guy but for some reason I've had the desire to start watching an Anime these last few days. So I thought I'd ask you guys for advice on what to watch first.

It should not be a martial arts anime like DBZ or Naruto and also not a childish anime if you know what I mean.
The only two Animes that I watched, other than DBZ as a kid, and liked very much are Attack on Titan and Death Note. So I'd prefer something similiar to that in style.

Someone recommended Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood to me but I'm somewhat confused about the relationship between that an the other Fullmetal Alchemist Anime. Is it a sequel/prequel or is it a remake that I can watch without having seen the first Anime?
What about Cowboy Beebop, is it better than FMA?

Cornbread78

Is Shomin Sample that incredibly LN harem garbage show?

Regular "common" boy gets abducted and forced to attend a prestigious all girls school full of rich/ princesses and pretend he likes men with big mudcles or he gets his dick cut off. He's thete to teach the sheltered girls about "commoner" life. Yeah... some real funny stuff though.

-Minsc-

I just discovered KAGEWANI is getting a second season starting April 1st on Crunchyroll. Time to go see if the stars are aligning all funky like. This is a show I never expected to get a second season.

tuffy

Someone recommended Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood to me but I'm somewhat confused about the relationship between that an the other Fullmetal Alchemist Anime. Is it a sequel/prequel or is it a remake that I can watch without having seen the first Anime?
The original FMA was made while the manga was still in progress and it diverges into its own anime-original ending. FMA:Brotherhood was made a few years later and follows the original source material more accurately. You won't need to have seen one to enjoy the other.
Cowboy Bebop is a very different sort of show since it's more episodic and has a sci-fi setting. I suppose I'd rate it higher than FMA overall, but it's really hard to compare them.

I'm usually not an Anime guy but for some reason I've had the desire to start watching an Anime these last few days. So I thought I'd ask you guys for advice on what to watch first.

It should not be a martial arts anime like DBZ or Naruto and also not a childish anime if you know what I mean.
The only two Animes that I watched, other than DBZ as a kid, and liked very much are Attack on Titan and Death Note. So I'd prefer something similiar to that in style.

I haven't seen both shows myself, but I think a lot of people would definetly say that Cowboy Bebop is better than FMA, though that's just a hunch I have.

If you want something similar to Death Note or Attack on Titan, I think you'll enjoy Evangelion, as it's a very famous and popular show that's really dark.

Madoka Magica, while not exactly similar to Death Note or Attack on Titan, is a very dark show as well, don't let yourself be fooled by it's appearance. It's a fantastic show that's well worth watching.

FMA Brotherhood and FMA 2003 are two different adaptations of the manga. Since FMA 2003 was made while the manga was still running, it eventually departs from the manga narrative and goes in its own direction for its ending. FMA Brotherhood is a more strictly faithful adaptation, made as the manga was ending. Either one can be watched independent of the other. Their respective merits are hotly contested, but just about everyone agrees that the early parts of the manga were presented better in FMA 2003 than in Brotherhood, so keep that in mind.

I'd say so. Cowboy Bebop is very good, and very approachable, so it's an ideal candidate for you to watch. Some other anime that should appeal to your tastes, which seem to be primarily in shounen action at the moment, are:

Baccano
Code:Breaker
Fate/Zero
Garo the Animation
Hunter X Hunter (at least start with the 1999 anime)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure TV (Battle Tendency, the second part, in particular)
Kaiji
Majin Bone
Sword of the Stranger

That should be good for starters. If you ever want to branch out into other things, let us know.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
The original FMA was made while the manga was still in progress and it diverges into its own anime-original ending. FMA:Brotherhood was made a few years later and follows the original source material more accurately. You won't need to have seen one to enjoy the other.

Cowboy Bebop is a very different sort of show since it's more episodic and has a sci-fi setting. I suppose I'd rate it higher than FMA overall, but it's really hard to compare them.

I haven't seen both shows myself, but I think a lot of people would definetly say that Cowboy Bebop is better than FMA, though that's just a hunch I have.

If you want something similar to Death Note or Attack on Titan, I think you'll enjoy Evangelion, as it's a very famous and popular show that's really dark.

Madoka Magica, while not exactly similar to Death Note or Attack on Titan, is a very dark show as well, don't let yourself be fooled by it's appearance. It's a fantastic show that's well worth watching.

FMA Brotherhood and FMA 2003 are two different adaptations of the manga. Since FMA 2003 was made while the manga was still running, it eventually departs from the manga narrative and goes in its own direction for its ending. FMA Brotherhood is a more strictly faithful adaptation, made as the manga was ending. Either one can be watched independent of the other. Their respective merits are hotly contested, but just about everyone agrees that the early parts of the manga were presented better in FMA 2003 than in Brotherhood, so keep that in mind.

I'd say so. Cowboy Bebop is very good, and very approachable, so it's an ideal candidate for you to watch. Some other anime that should appeal to your tastes, which seem to be primarily in shounen action at the moment, are:

Baccano
Code:Breaker
Fate/Zero
Garo the Animation
Hunter X Hunter (at least start with the 1999 anime)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure TV (Battle Tendency, the second part, in particular)
Kaiji
Majin Bone
Sword of the Stranger

That should be good for starters. If you ever want to branch out into other things, let us know.

Thanks for the answers.

I should have said that I'm not a big fan of episodic/procedural shows and prefer an overarching, thrilling storyline so I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy Cowboy Bebop.

I've put those shows on my list but I guess I'll start with FMA:B

Joe Molotov

Regular "common" boy gets abducted and forced to attend a prestigious all girls school full of rich/ princesses and pretend he likes men with big mudcles or he gets his dick cut off. Yeah... some real funny stuff though.

Oh man, that's hilarious because they all think he's gay but he isn't.

Cornbread78

Welcome.

Here are a couple straight away:

Steins;Gate (Drama, comedy, Mystery)
- starts off lighthearted and funny, then shit gets real as the story progresses. Amazing..

Clannad/Clannad After Story: (comedy, SoL, drama, romance)
- 1st season is completely a set-up for After Story. It becomes an emotional roller coaster ride as the story progresses, simply heartfelt and beautiful.

Fate/Zero: (Action/drama)
- A lot of action and story as the characters battle to the death for the holy grail. Great feeling of intensity and action throughout.

Barakamon (SoL/comedy)
- brilliant story of a man set to change his life in a positive way with the help from some new friends. Beautiful story.

Blast of Tempest (Action/mystery)
- Story with action, mystery and compelling characters. There is a lull as they flesh out the mystery aspect, but we'll worth the ride.

I would suggest Guilty Crown, its only 22 episodes, has high production values, awesome music, definitive deep storytelling that leaves you begging for more each episode, and a very rewarding plot. Its blows many anime out of the water. Its really good.

-Minsc-

Thanks for the answers.

I should have said that I'm not a big fan of episodic/procedural shows and prefer an overarching, thrilling storyline so I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy Cowboy Bebop.

I've put those shows on my list but I guess I'll start with FMA:B

I say check out Baccano! (the exclamation is part of the title). The story jumps back and forth between different events/time periods (it's not a time travel story) telling the story from different characters perspectives. Having the story told in this non-chronoligical keeps the viewer on their toes. Basically it shows how all these characters doing mostly unrelated things become entangled with each other. It's one of the few anime I'd recommend watching english dubbed.

The opening credits does a good job of setting the tone.

Cornbread78

Listen to cornbread, not DTL
I think that was a joke

Uggh, my bad.

Karamatsu>Jyuushimatsu>Ichimatsu>Totty>Choromatsu>Osomatsu

Cornbread can't into internet sarcasm.

I kinda liked Shomin Sample though.
Manga's better and delivers more laughs.
Damn shame the loli character scared everyone off (don't blame them).

Uggh, I'm very happy I can't remember her name at the moment. Everything else was pretty funny though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Regular "common" boy gets abducted and forced to attend a prestigious all girls school full of rich/ princesses and pretend he likes men with big mudcles or he gets his dick cut off. He's thete to teach the sheltered girls about "commoner" life. Yeah... some real funny stuff though.
So it's one of those "It's funny because he's not gay!" things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom