• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Narag pls

tumblr_me0s0uj5bg1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

giphy.gif

JulianImp

I stay away from this topic for a while and next time I check in people have been talking about a show about a guy reincarnated as a dog that gets freaking married to a girl...

What?

I knew some shows had sketchy plots, but this is like a whole new level of WTF. Like, Cross Ange was crappy and Mahouka's a joke, but D&S sounds like something I wouldn't even bear to watch.

pbayne

I stay away from this topic for a while and next time I check in people have been talking about a show about a guy reincarnated as a dog that gets freaking married to a girl...

What? I thought it was literally just a dog. I dunno if that makes it more or less creepy though.

Mailbox

Just a reminder that dog and scissors also has bits where it implies heavily that domestic violence is okay.

Edit: not just okay, but also that it's a form of "showing love" (and it's not used for slapstick)

What?

I knew some shows had sketchy plots, but this is like a whole new level of WTF. Like, Cross Ange was crappy and Mahouka's a joke, but D&S sounds like something I wouldn't even bear to watch.

This is why I just close my eyes and keep moving whenever people say "Oh, this show is garbage, worst thing ever!" to stuff that has NOTHING on shit like this lol. Like man, there is some real weird stuff out there. Remember the show about a guy with an obsession over some girl's spit? Yeah.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Remember the show about a guy with an obsession over some girl's spit? Yeah.

The producers of that show [Mysterious Girlfriend X] were actually fined on the grounds of false advertising. They said there'd be lemons with the OP, but there were no lemons in the show at all.

This is why I just close my eyes and keep moving whenever people say "Oh, this show is garbage, worst thing ever!" to stuff that has NOTHING on shit like this lol. Like man, there is some real weird stuff out there. Remember the show about a guy with an obsession over some girl's spit? Yeah.

Mysterious Girlfriend X is a good show though.

Just like the dog and scissors show, after reading the synopsis on anicharts back then I just did a nope.gif out of there. I don't think I'll regret not watching either of these lol.

I just finished My Love Story!! perfect pick me up after Your Lie in April. Wheres my season 2 tho? it was so adorable, I want another season of that goofy cliche romcom

Mailbox

Just like the dog and scissors show, after reading the synopsis on anicharts back then I just did a nope.gif out of there. I don't think I'll regret not watching either of these lol.

Outside of the premise, Mysterious Girlfriend X actually a really interesting and well done show. My only real gripe is that the relationship advancement is slow as a snail, but otherwise it's good.

I honestly think that if you can get over the initial gross out factor, you'd enjoy it.

Cornbread78

Your not missing anything really with Mysterious GF X. It's definitely unique and not as bad as it sounds but it not a "satisfying" romcom by any stretch of the imagination..

Outside of the premise, Mysterious Girlfriend X actually a really interesting and well done show. My only real gripe is that the relationship advancement is slow as a snail, but otherwise it's good.

I honestly think that if you can get over the initial gross out factor, you'd enjoy it.

Slow as a snail is just scratching the surface. I think the total advancement past the friendship stuff was like A-C and left a huge gap leading up to Z, lol. IT was definitely a unique show though..

uDNOkRw.gif

The shots look great, I'm not a big fan of that character design though. The eyes kind of remind me of Dagashi Kashi, another show that I complained about in the character design department.

That's something that really annoys me in anime. The whole "so pure we can't look at each other in the eye" thing, which idk if it applies here. I'm more than happy to see a good romance take its time, if and only if it's done at a good pace and it makes sense as the relationship and bonding between characters grow.

Your not missing anything really with Mysterious GF X. It's definitely unique and not as bad as it sounds but it not a "satisfying" romcom by any stretch of the imagination..

This is what I mean ^^

EDIT: I need context for this GIF LMFAO.

Cornbread78

The shots look great, I'm not a big fan of that character design though. The eyes kind of remind me of Dagashi Kashi, another show that I complained about in the character design department.

That's something that really annoys me in anime. The whole "so pure we can't look at each other in the eye" thing, which idk if it applies here. I'm more than happy to see a good romance take its time, if and only if it's done at a good pace and it makes sense as the relationship and bonding between characters grow.

This is what I mean ^^

Have you watch Emma a Victorian Romance yet?

That GIF is literally the show and the basis of the relationship between those two lol. Which is why you have to get past the "gross factor" of the show before you can start to enjoy it, but don't watch it expecting this great romance/romcom, it just doesn't work out that way.

xgBjV4B.png

Qurupeke

What was the name of this comedy(?) anime about a psychiatric clinic(?)? I think it was supposed to be a patient per episode and the name had to do something with geometry but I forgot.

Mailbox

Oh there's relationship growth, just don't expect stuff like kissing or proper dates.

The fact that they are going slow is pointed out quite a bit and is actually used to advance things somewhat.

It's definitely not the too innocent thing. It's more like they're just taking it slow.

Have you watch Emma a Victorian Romance yet?

That GIF is literally the show and the basis of the relationship between those two:

xgBjV4B.png

I haven't no, but I saw you treading through it, it seemed to have multiple seasons? Is it good?

And oh lord lol.

Oh there's relationship growth, just don't expect stuff like kissing or proper dates.

The fact that they are going slow is pointed out quite a bit and is actually used to advance things somewhat.

It's definitely not the too innocent thing. It's more like they're just taking it slow.

I guess it's all just fingers in each other's mouths and slurping of each other's spit then LOL :p

Eh? The character designs, by Ghibli animator Kenichi Konishi, are great; flavorful and well-crafted for animation. The eyes look nothing like Dagashi Kashi's.

Anyway, Mysterious Girlfriend X is a show to watch if you care about atmospheric direction and well crafted eroticism, both of which are fairly rare in anime. If you only care about character relationships proceeding to the point where they kiss, you may not be satisfied, but otherwise the show has a lot to offer.

Eh? The character designs, by Ghibli animator Kenichi Konishi, are great; flavorful and well-crafted for animation. The eyes look nothing like Dagashi Kashi's.

Anyway, Mysterious Girlfriend X is a show to watch if you care about atmospheric direction and well crafted eroticism, both of which are fairly rare in anime. If you only care about character relationships proceeding to the point where they kiss, you may not be satisfied, but otherwise the show has a lot to offer.

I actually think they look very similar. Look at these two:

Dagashi Kashi
30320.jpg

Dagashi Kashi
1452589949769.jpg

Mysterious Gf
maxresdefault.jpg

Huge eyelids, very small iris. Mysterious Gf looks a bit older than the first image though, don't know if it is intentional or if it's because the show is older (I don't think it is that old though).

As for the second part, I wouldn't say I watch romantic anime for neither of the two. Shirayuki is a good example of that, we've barely seen those two mains kiss and I'm okay with it. It's all about the plot and whether or not I'm being entertained.

This thread got weird overnight. Now I'm wondering just how bad an anime about a lady falling in love with (and potentially fucking) a dog but it's totes okay because he was once a human in middle school can really be.

...Probably the worst anime of whatever year that came out.

Emma: A Victorian Romance is good. It's kind of like a BBC/PBS Masterpiece Theater period production, so if you like those sorts of things, definitely check Emma out.

This sounds cool. Still have a huge backlog to get though once I'm done with school, but I'm going to add this to my "to watch list". I like having options.

EDIT: ouu, "Genres: drama, historical, romance, seinen, SoL". I'm definitely in.

EDIT2: 19th century London, my favourite setting. Reminds me I still have BBC's Sherlock series.

Cornbread78

I see truths being spoken here. It's unfortunate because they could have turned the corner. Was the source material still ongoing?

I haven't no, but I saw you treading through it, it seemed to have multiple seasons? Is it good?

I guess it's all just fingers in each other's mouths and slurping of each other's spit then LOL :p

Yes, it can be a slow burn at times, but shows really good character/relationship development throughout the 2 seasons.

Yeah, the first episode may make you cringe a little, but it's different, that's for sure.

This thread got weird overnight. Now I'm wondering just how bad an anime about a lady falling in love with (and potentially fucking) a dog but it's totes okay because he was once a human in middle school can really be.

...Probably the worst anime of whatever year that came out.

LOL, I can't even anymore.

I see truths being spoken here. It's unfortunate because they could have turned the corner. Was the source material still ongoing?

Yes, it can be a slow burn at times, but shows really good character/relationship development throughout the 2 seasons.

Yeah, the first episode may make you cringe a little, but it's different, that's for sure.

I'm sold on Emma, added it to my list. I'm a sucker for Victorian stuff.

I actually think they look very similar. Look at these two:

Huge eyelids, very small iris. Mysterious Gf looks a bit older than the first image though, don't know if it is intentional or if it's because the show is older (I don't think it is that old though).

Even in the images you post, there's a pretty distinct difference in how the eyes are drawn, with Dagashi Kashi having more sharply rounded eyes, more elaborate lashes around the eye, more circular irises with scratchier drawings inside them. This, plus the rest of the facial design, makes Dagashi Kashi characters look like they're going insane all the time - a trait which unfortunately the anime doesn't capitalize on.

Mysterious Girlfriend X does have something of an old-school sensibility to its designs, which doesn't have to do with the year the show came out (2012) but is a deliberate aesthetic choice on the part of the manga/anime creators.

As for the second part, I wouldn't say I watch romantic anime for neither of the two. Shirayuki is a good example of that, we've barely seen those two mains kiss and I'm okay with it. It's all about the plot and whether or not I'm being entertained.

Hmm. Shirayuki is actually a rather frustrating show for me. The two leads are already perfect from day one, so there's no conflict in their relationship except trumped up external threats which always feel silly and petty. I wouldn't put that show forward as a good example of romance.

Even in the images you post, there's a pretty distinct difference in how the eyes are drawn, with Dagashi Kashi having more sharply rounded eyes, more elaborate lashes around the eye, more circular irises with scratchier drawings inside them. This, plus the rest of the facial design, makes Dagashi Kashi characters look like they're going insane all the time - a trait which unfortunately the anime doesn't capitalize on.

Hmm. Shirayuki is actually a rather frustrating show for me. The two leads are already perfect from day one, so there's no conflict in their relationship except trumped up external threats which always feel silly and petty. I wouldn't put that show forward as a good example of romance.

Dagashi Kashi to me was something that was lost in translation/culture. I just can't enjoy the jokes as much as someone that is native to Japan and knows all these candies would. And even then, I'm not sure whether it would be that funny/entertaining anyway. And again, the designs for me just don't do it, too jarring. Like you said they look like they are crazy or extremely surprised all the time. Not that anime eyes look realistic, but this pushes it to the next level lol.

EDIT: Yeah sort of figured, 2012 designs didn't look old or anything. Having googled it, the manga for Mysterious GF seems to use the same style of design, so they were going with that for sure.

Idk I like Shirayuki a lot, it's a solid 8/10 watch for me. Super comfy, all good feels. I sort of understand the implications in the show, their relationship is sort of a forbidden love due to their social standing, even if they have gotten past that and always hang out. Seems like things will change with what happened in the last episode.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sweet are a universal subject and the show pretty much explains what these sweets are so even as a non native it's quite easy to follow. It's educational!

Sweet are a universal subject and the show pretty much explains what these sweets are so even as a non native it's quite easy to follow. It's educational!

Ehh I watched two episodes and just didn't feel it. It's all about candy, candy, candy. If I had some sort of attachment to them, maybe I'd keep watching? Since I don't I just couldn't be bothered continuing it. Seems a lot of folks fell off the hype wagon for this one over time too.

So Higurashi kai is up for pre-order on RightStuf. And I noticed they're still calling it "When they Cry"

Is it really that hard to put in Higurashi before the When They Cry part in the title, Sentai?

JulianImp

The thing is there're two kinds of really bad shows: Those like D&S (at least from what I've heard from you guys) that I don't like by virtue of how "wrong" they are, and those like SAO that I feel were bad because of how they helped make crappy premises and tropes more mainstream.

So Higurashi kai is up for pre-order on RightStuf. And I noticed they're still calling it "When they Cry"

Is it really that hard to put in Higurashi before the When They Cry part in the title, Sentai?

It isn't like we'll ever get the Umineko anime since it sucked, though. :p

And Higanbana uses a different naming convention (and would be way too disturbing for an anime release, IMO).

Narag

I'd imagine it's more a licensor thing than a licensee.

blurr

Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 23

How much more will Carta suffer.

That was a nice little flashback about Carta and her relationship with McGillis. It might be an obvious thing to say but I'm liking McGillis' intentions a lot more than Orga's but I always find myself siding Orga. Really conflicting feelings, this is cool but I hope it drives to a meaningful conclusion.

Is it just me or was Carta's face poorly drawn when she was speaking with McGillis, I'm speaking about the more distant perspective.

JulianImp

NISA released that. They left the Umineko in the title.

Except NISA did and kept Umineko in the title.

Welp. It's weird that Umineko got released despite having bombed in Japan AFAIK. It was an okay-ish introduction to the VN and uses a great voice actor cast, but other than that it was really underwhelming. I really wish we'd have gotten the second arc animated, because it gets considerably crazier and has some fun confrontations such as
Beatrice coming back, Battler vs Erika, Ushiromiyas and meta characters vs goats, or Bern vs Lambda.

Seeing Maria and Eva in motion was good though, and when I played Danganronpa a short while ago the floating text reminded me of the anime's red/blue truths, which was a nice thing they added to the anime to make colored truths stand out from regular spoken lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom