• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes every episode lowers the cat's survival rate at the end. Lol.

Man I'm a sucker for this kind of hurt. I know how its gonna end but I'm going along for the ride anyways.

I read like 50 chapters of this webtoon called My Kitty and Old Dog and despite every other chapter absolutely crushing my soul I still kept reading ;_;

You got that wrong. The mind of the author reverted back into that of a 10 year old while writing Erased.

lmao

Jarmel

Banned
Just by a quick look at things, there aren't all that many spin-offs. I could only find 3 (5 if you include bayblade and Gundam Unicorn).

There are a butt load of sequels though. A even more stuff that hasn't been adapted before (Amaama to Inazuma being in the summer is slightly suspect to me. The story in the manga hasn't really gone anywhere (unless japan is farther ahead than crunchyroll is))

Accel World, Barakamon, Danmachi, Brave Witches, and Mob Psycho 100.

We don't even know the Fall list yet so stuff like Steins; Gate Zero is possible too.

It takes place in the same universe as One Punch Man and was spun off from some stuff in One Punch Man. It's a spinoff.

I'm no ONE expert, but I'm going to need to see some more evidence that it's a spinoff before I believe you. On the face of it, there's no strong connection between the two series.

Jarmel

Banned
Well the Blast thing got disproven recently right?
Not really. The only connection besides the author is that Tatsumaki is in the background of one of the explanations of Espers.
Yea Tatsumaki is the link. Although I thought there was some stuff that OPM is the future of Mob Psycho.
Stop talking nonsense. They don't even have the same publisher. No one considers it a spin off.
Well not sure how much publishers matter considering both are a webcomic by One.

Non Non Biyori 9

G1edfAv.jpg

Looks like there's no chance of that happening.

I was skeptical of having a cultural festival episode, but the girls' attempts to put on a festival at their tiny school were so pathetic that it became unique. There was so much awkward humor, it felt like I was watching The Office.

Mailbox

Can Steins;gate zero really be called a spin-off considering the context?

Its more of a midquel crossed with an alternate universe sequel.

olympia

Is there an official place to watch MS Gundam: Thunderbolt? I tried getting into IBO and I'm not really feeling it, Thunderbolt seems to be more of what I want from a Gundam series

duckroll

Is there an official place to watch MS Gundam: Thunderbolt? I tried getting into IBO and I'm not really feeling it, Thunderbolt seems to be more of what I want from a Gundam series

They stopped the official English releases after the first part. Might have to wait for the whole thing to be done in April or so before they announce a BD release.

Jarmel

Banned
They stopped the official English releases after the first part. Might have to wait for the whole thing to be done in April or so before they announce a BD release.

I was wondering about that considering how bad the subs were for the second episode. Guess that answers that.

Kinda surprising as it seems like something Sunrise would want to push in the West just as much as IBO.

Narag

I was wondering about that considering how bad the subs were for the second episode. Guess that answers that.

Kinda surprising as it seems like something Sunrise would want to push in the West just as much as IBO.

Maybe they'll dump out a domestic bluray in-between the Gundam TV sets.

duckroll

Well, the first part was distributed free in English on Youtube to promote the Thunderbolt series in Asia I think. They're actually releasing the manga in English here. I might drop by at Kinokuniya later this week to pick up the first 3 volumes. Will report back on the quality.

I think they stopped because the series is meant to be a premium OVA of sorts like Unicorn, and in Japan you actually have to pay to watch each part. I expect that if they announce the BD for middle of this year, they'll probably do something similar to Gundam the Origin and sell the BD/DVD while offering a paid digital version on Daisuki.

Jarmel

Banned
Well, the first part was distributed free in English on Youtube to promote the Thunderbolt series in Asia I think. They're actually releasing the manga in English here. I might drop by at Kinokuniya later this week to pick up the first 3 volumes. Will report back on the quality.

I heard the manga was mostly trash and going by the dialogue in the episodes, I can believe it. Godspeed.

yami4ct

I'm about a third-halfway through the first volume of Legend of the Galactic Heroes right now and I'm really digging it. I understand some of the complaints with the translation. It's a bit wooden and direct, but the writer in general has the sort of history book style so I think it kinda works.

I'm very curious to check out the OVA someday now. The scale of the battles in this book is pure insanity and I kinda don't know how you begin to deal with that aside from just cutting it way back.

I'm about a third-halfway through the first volume of Legend of the Galactic Heroes right now and I'm really digging it. I understand some of the complaints with the translation. It's a bit wooden and direct, but the writer in general has the sort of history book style so I think it kinda works.

I'm very curious to check out the OVA someday now. The scale of the battles in this book is pure insanity and I kinda don't know how you begin to deal with that aside from just cutting it way back.

The OVA certainly doesn't cut back on the scale, though it can be visually static.

yami4ct

The OVA certainly doesn't cut back on the scale, though it can be visually static.

So far, the scale of the combat is the thing that's definitely struck me so far. It's literally thousands of star ships moving about in massive formations manned by hundreds of thousands, if not into the millions, of sailors. The death tole they give in that first battle is shocking, but also really fits with the explosion of the population of humanity the book presents.

To hear the OVA even attempts to show that is interesting to hear.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
there will never be a third season of samurai flamenco and that fucking sucks
I like samurai flamenco, but i don't think it needs 3rd season. The ending was perfect

You got that wrong. The mind of the author reverted back into that of a 10 year old while writing Erased.
Lol

Accel World, Barakamon, Danmachi, Brave Witches, and Mob Psycho 100.

We don't even know the Fall list yet so stuff like Steins; Gate Zero is possible too.
I don't think Mob psycho a one punchman spin off. The only things connected between them are tatsumaki and saitama as mob phone wallpaper, then there's mob psycho shirt that saitama wear in Murata ver.

Narag

So far, the scale of the combat is the thing that's definitely struck me so far. It's literally thousands of star ships moving about in massive formations manned by hundreds of thousands, if not into the millions, of sailors. The death tole they give in that first battle is shocking, but also really fits with the explosion of the population of humanity the book presents.

To hear the OVA even attempts to show that is interesting to hear.

WH40k scale never fails to entertain.

yami4ct

WH40k scale never fails to entertain.

It's extremely effective. Given humanity's expansionist tendencies, it wouldn't be shocking to see our population just explode to such levels if we did manage to create interstellar travel. Scaling up war by the same amount definitely gives the battles a real spectacle.

Jarmel

Banned
It's extremely effective. Given humanity's expansionist tendencies, it wouldn't be shocking to see our population just explode to such levels if we did manage to create interstellar travel. Scaling up war by the same amount definitely gives the battles a real spectacle.

What were the death tolls for the battles again? I heard they got stupidly large.

yami4ct

What were the death tolls for the battles again? I heard they got stupidly large.

Just in the first battle of the book which isn't even depicted as anything major:

Alliance deployed 4,065,900 sailors and lost 1,508,900. The empire deployed 2,448,600 and lost 153,400.

The alliance lost 22,600 ships and the empire lost 2,200. I cannot imagine how big those will get when shit gets real.

Also, I love how stupidly specific these numbers are.

Just in the first battle of the book which isn't even depicted as anything major:

Alliance deployed 4,065,900 sailors and lost 1,508,900. The empire deployed 2,448,600 and lost 153,400.

The alliance lost 22,600 ships and the empire lost 2,200. I cannot imagine how big those will get when shit gets real.

Also, I love how stupidly specific these numbers are.

They're very specific because of how bureaucratic and historical LOGH is. It feels like a History book. It's frankly kind of amazing.

yami4ct

They're very specific because of how bureaucratic and historical LOGH is. It feels like a History book. It's frankly kind of amazing.

Yep. Everything aside from character dialogue reads like a very dispassionate history book. That's why I think the very literal translation sort of works. It gives it this really matter of fact feeling to this insanely large story.

yami4ct

What's the total population size for both governments?

At the height of the empire, Humanity number 300 billion. By the time the story starts, war and general crap has brought that down to 40 billion. 25 billion in the Empire, 13 in the Alliance and 2 in a neutral power called Phezzan.

You're shitting me. I was expecting that number to be near the trillion range.

The story has made it pretty clear that a century of galactic war has really fucked over humanity in general.

Jarmel

Banned
At the height of the empire, Humanity number 300 billion. By the time the story starts, war and general crap has brought that down to 40 billion. 25 billion in the Empire, 13 in the Alliance and 2 in a neutral power called Phezzan.

What in god's name are they fighting over that is worth over 80% of their population?

yami4ct

What in god's name are they fighting over that is worth over 80% of their population?

Empire really believes in the absolute power of their leader. At least, their laws and dumbass nobility do. Alliance opposes that shit, but also seem sort of like assholes.

Pretty sure at some point during the Goldenbaum Dynasty some reaaaaaaaaaaaaaal fucked up stuff happened but I haven't gotten there yet.

Just in the prologue they talk about genetic purity laws that required anybody with a mental or genetic condition to be sterilized or outright murdered. The shit that goes down in the empire is absolute power taken to its extreme. It definitely feels like if you took the crazy of an absolute monarch to a galactic scale.

Think it's World War era Total War ideology on a grander scale with greater weapons.

We'd rather fight and die to the last man then succumb to tyranny vs a space empire that makes the Zeon and Zabi Family look like pacificts.

I don't think they have been fighting for 150 years straight, I think its more like the Hundred Years War between England and France where they were at each others throats for that long but not constantly fighting. I haven't finished the series though

Jarmel

Banned
I like to think of it in 'multiples of Earth's current population'. If I do that, it gives me a real perspective and makes me go 'holy fuck'.

To put that in perspective, every human that has ever lived to 2015 is roughly at 110 billion. That would mean the Empire has lost the entire human race over two times over with a few billion to spare.

yami4ct

To put that in perspective, every human that has ever lived to 2015 is roughly at 110 billion. That would mean the Empire has lost the entire human race over two times over with a few billion to spare.

And that's just change in population. Birthrate cuts some of the bleeding. The amount of people who have died is even greater.

At the rate population increases (think LOGH is around 3100) its not impossible. I'm not 100% sure on the details but at this point I assume not that many people die of disease and the life expectancy must be high and the fucked up thing is you don't see that many old people...so most people must be dying via the War, either in direct combat, being starved to death by cutting off convoys (Empire tactic) or other foul total war shit.

Jarmel

Banned
And that's just change in population. Birthrate cuts some of the bleeding. The amount of people who have died is even greater.

Just spitballing some numbers but at the height of the Empire then, they had between 8.5 and 9 billion people born each year. So in order for them to decrease that significantly, more than a planet's worth of people died every year for decades.

yami4ct

Just spitballing some numbers but at the height of the Empire then, they had between 8.5 and 9 billion people born each year. So in order for them to decrease that significantly, more than a planet's worth of people died every year for decades.

At one point in time, the alliance had to find a way to evacuate a whole planet during a single battle.

At the scale the war operates, that kind of average loss isn't out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom