• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

I threw this together in MS Paint from my work PC, so it is crap, LOL. Clay Statue is putting together a legit one for me tonight, but I got sidetracked from my work earlier and put this together...Thanks for the feedback though.

It's pretty good for paint, you know.
I just wanted to make the Twin Star Exorcists joke.

Cornbread78

Yea, opinions of the show have been very polarizing, enough that it got my attention. I've just been stalling it over more essential shows or shows with cute girls T__T

Lol, no more stalling. Plus Asuna is a stunner, so your good. Kirito doesn't like any of tho see harem girls outside of her anyhow.

ONLY the first 15 episodes though.
everything else is.... well...

not good

Also, Kiritobread, you cant deny that even within those first 15 episodes, there are some serious pacing problems (granted its because of the source material and the disjunct within it, but i digress).

Also the word "courting" is kinda creepy, and not really applicable for SAO

Edit: i wanna make some art for the spring OT... have that itch to draw something. haven't done so for a while :(

Well, relationship development/ courting, almost the same when you remove any religious overtones. It works for those crazy kids.

JulianImp

DO IT!
(at least the first 15 episodes)
It is SOOO worth it, lol! I love the good and the bad though, so whatevs..

One of the most popular shows in the world and It's not SAO's fault the haters have bad taste. It's got action, adventure, sci-fi, love, courting, marriage, children, the power of love, the power of friendship, emotion and intensity. Oh and the music is really, REALLY good. It's got it ALL!

On the other hand it's got, among other things:
  • Silica (little girl) getting grabbed by a tentacle plant and held upside down (note: she wears a skirt). This scene gets used in a later OP for her introduction, FFS
  • Silica getting grabbed again in the exact same way a season later, only they're in a fairy world so the enemy is a winged tentacle plant
  • Kirito (the MC) pondering who might be involved in the latest evil plot while intently staring at a girl's ass for quite a while, and coming up with an answer
  • First season big bad murders thousands of innocents, but then he gave people a beautiful VR world so he's forgiven posthumously
  • Kirito's sister Suguha falling in love with her brother in the VR world without knowing it was him (never mind that he looked exactly the same in-game as he did in RL). Bonus points for the show later revealing that they aren't actually blood related!
  • Asuna starts as a strong and capable woman but eventually devolves to being Kirito's loving wife and not much else (she's still strong, but Kirito's the only one that gets to finish things off because he's the MC)
  • The male sidekick is an absolute idiot that's only there to emphasize how cool Kirito is and how he wins over all the ladies. The one girl he tries to get close to ends up being a disguised male giant
  • Second and third story arcs using absurd psycho rapist villains that threaten to do unspeakable stuff to Kirito's waifus so that he can go and save them while proving how he's the better man
  • Little to no worldbuilding (at least in the anime), particularily during the second arc (introduces lots of fairy clans that end up amounting to nothing in the overall plot)

The issue I have with Asuna, however, helped not make the show into a crappy harem because she and Kirito become an item fairly early on and things stay that way, so at least we're spared from what-if scenarios of Kirito going for his not-actually-sister and other such stuff.

It isn't the worst show ever, but SAO just has way too many glaring issues to be considered a good show in my book.

Mailbox

draw Tsukihi

I'll think about it.
If I do, I'll start tomorrow night. I've get midterms tomorrow Morning and in the Afternoon :/

Well, relationship development/ courting, almost the same when you remove any religious overtones. It works for those crazy kids.

After looking up the definition , Your right, but I still think the word is kinda uncomfortable . . .
kinda like "moist".

JulianImp

AnimeGAF, a friend of mine is going on a trip to Japan and I'd absolutely want to get my hands on those Monogatari BDs that have in-universe commentaries for the episodes. Could anyone in the know tell me which seasons have it so I can tell him to focus on getting those and not minding the rest?

Also, do Kizu DVD/BDs release anytime soon over there?

After looking up the definition , Your right, but I still think the word is kinda uncomfortable . . .
kinda like "moist".

Harenchi!

Moist reminds me about Heavy musing about sandvich and the Portal ED line it's derived from, which makes it not-uncomfortable.

AnimeGAF, a friend of mine is going on a trip to Japan and I'd absolutely want to get my hands on those Monogatari BDs that have in-universe commentaries for the episodes. Could anyone in the know tell me which seasons have it so I can tell him to focus on getting those and not minding the rest?

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think they all have them.

Also, do Kizu DVD/BDs release anytime soon over there?

I don't believe any BD date has been announced.

Cornbread78

I'll think about it.
If I do, I'll start tomorrow night. I've get midterms tomorrow Morning and in the Afternoon :/

kinda like "moist".

Moist huh? you have to read 16.5 to get that out of SAO, lol.

It's pretty good for paint, you know.
I just wanted to make the Twin Star Exorcists joke.

LOL. Well, it's probably trash, but from the fanart, it looks like their might be some shipping there, but then again, it's fan-art, so......

JulianImp

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think they all have them.

I don't believe any BD date has been announced.

Oh man, then it's probably going to be expensive as hell for me to get them all at a little over 4K yen a pop (I'll try, though!). Do only BDs have the commentaries, or could I tell him to get the DVDs instead (if those exist) to save some money?

Also, do the discs come with any kind of subs (even if it's just Japanese)?

Ascheroth

LOL. Well, it's probably trash, but from the fanart, it looks like their might be some shipping there, but then again, it's fan-art, so......

I like the manga. I have no expectations towards the anime.
There is romance and it's basically built into the entire premise.
Rokuro and Benio are fated to marry because their kid is going to be 'the chosen one'.

Cornbread78

I like the manga. I have no expectations towards the anime.
There is romance and it's basically built into the entire premise.
Rokuro and Benio are fated to marry because their kid is going to be 'the chosen one'.

Oh, well, that is something interesting. It's a shame the two aren't in their 20's to make it interesting. As it is, they look like grade schoolers, uugghh....

Prince of Stride 11

The location used in this race made it the best one yet. Using different assets of an amusement park is way better than just bars and hoops in a street. Everything is less random because the audience is already familiar with the general look of a theme park. It's also just a fun and original setting to look at.

Todays opponnents have gotten a lot of screentime compared to the rest of the "antagonist", so it was nice to see all the small side arcs get some closure, I'm satisfied with the result. Also love how sweet and sappy all these races continue to be, it's the song man.

I'm not really buying this "past promise" flashback, how would they even forget about Fujiwaru? Don't fully understand what happened there, it was still a nice scene though.

IdolLaserShow looked kinda awkward. I prefer the normal ED.

Cornbread78

Just making sure that I'm not giving you a wrong impression here, it's still an action shounen at it's core:
There is a timeskip into their teens. I don't know if there are going to be more.

Well, I'm liking Fairy Tail so far and there's no shipping...... yet, so I think I can hang in there to see how it goes.

Qurupeke

Kuuchuu Buranko / Trapeze 1-5
8TMQmDL.jpg
7XETa2h.jpg
c5FD5e7.jpg
I heard about this anime from a conversation here, a few weeks ago, and how it dealt with mental disorders, which apparently are kind of a taboo in Japan. Long story short, it piqued my interest. The show has a really eccentric artstyle, but it also relies heavily on rotoscoped and generally real life footage, it even tops Tatami Galaxy on that. These, along with the antithesis of the bright colours, create a peculiar atmosphere, which I see for the first time to that degree. And of course, the protagonist just adds to all of these, with both his behavior and his appearance.

The theme of the show certainly feels like something that you don't see very often on media. Or to be more precise, I feel like it's rare to see the disorders appearing as something more than a quirk. I'm not sure what's the reason this anime was created, but it surely gives an educational vibe, even if that's not it's purpose. However, the most scary thing about this kind of portrayal for the disorders is how close to me some of the symptoms are. I think I find it pretty easy to relate to the patients and some of their problems. And I read the word anxiety quite a few times on these episodes...

Episode 5 is my favourite so far, but all of them have been amazing.

Sölf

Musaigen no Phantom World 09
Hm, meh. I don't know, episodes are okay and all, but the complete lack of an overall storyline is really turning me off by now. I haven't seen 10 yet, but I highly doubt anything will come into this.

Oh man, then it's probably going to be expensive as hell for me to get them all at a little over 4K yen a pop (I'll try, though!). Do only BDs have the commentaries, or could I tell him to get the DVDs instead (if those exist) to save some money?

Also, do the discs come with any kind of subs (even if it's just Japanese)?

Looking at the amazon listings, it looks like character commentaries are included with both the BDs and DVDs. I don't see anything about subtitles.

Sölf;198407342 said:
Hm, meh. I don't know, episodes are okay and all, but the complete lack of an overall storyline is really turning me off by now. I haven't seen 10 yet, but I highly doubt anything will come into this.

It's all about the mysterious device they found in episode two or three!

pbayne

The slick direction and action staging is the biggest strength of Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie. If you don't like that, you won't like the movie.

Thats unfortunate. Id probably be more lenient on Arise if it was an original series, which it might as well be since it's so removed in tone and content from most of the GiTS franchise.(well the anime anyway, the mangas a whole other story)

Well maybe Black Widow will reinvigorate GiTS.

Stride 11

Holy random flashback. Was that ever mentioned or built up? It was written in such a way that it kind of assumed the audience knew. It was really strange.

Great race almost felt like the finale.Races all looked really dynamic and it was nice to see all the little personal rivalries be resolved.

Sölf

It's all about the mysterious device they found in episode two or three!

Which was mentioned like, what, once since that episode? I mean, maybe the show does something like Inou Battle, and we suddenly get main plot that just happens to happen somewhere else and our main cast has like no idea it is happening. Which was stupid and therefore funny as hell. xD

Qurupeke

Sölf;198407342 said:

I've accepted the fact there's no plot in this. And it's better that way.

Thats unfortunate. Id probably be more lenient on Arise if it was an original series, which it might as well be since it's so removed in tone and content from most of the GiTS franchise.

Well maybe Black Widow will reinvigorate GiTS.

Well, without Mamoru Oshii on board Ghost in the Shell won't have the same tone as his films, and Kenji Kamiyama doesn't exactly do a great job of imitating Oshii. So I'm happy to treat the new movie as its own thing, and I feel it's fairly successful at what it sets out to do.

If you want a film that captures some of the atmosphere of Oshii's Ghost in the Shell, the most recent anime film like that I've seen is Kizumonogatari, funnily enough.

pbayne

Well, without Mamoru Oshii on board Ghost in the Shell won't have the same tone as his films, and Kenji Kamiyama doesn't exactly do a great job of imitating Oshii. So I'm happy to treat the new movie as its own thing, and I feel it's fairly successful at what it sets out to do.

If you want a film that captures some of the atmosphere of Oshii's Ghost in the Shell, the most recent anime film like that I've seen is Kizumonogatari, funnily enough.

I need to get back into monogatari and i definitely need to watch Oshii's two Patlabor movies since i loved the OVAs.

Does Aniplex ever do standard editions of their releases? I normally don't pay attention to then because of their fucking absurd pricing, but I really want to get Your Lie in April, but there's no way I can justify spending $130 for 11 epsidoes.

I did like Psycho Pass originally although I then couldn't stomach a rewatch (GAF successfully soured me on that). Anyways, I thought the movie was really bad. Not as bad as the second season but still trashcan material. If you like pitiful Engrish, though, it might be great.

tuffy

Does Aniplex ever do standard editions of their releases? I normally don't pay attention to then because of their fucking absurd pricing, but I really want to get Your Lie in April, but there's no way I can justify spending $130 for 11 epsidoes.
They do sometimes. Madoka Magica, Gurren Lagann and the Garden of Sinners have more affordable not-so-limited editions available at least.

Well I definitely hope they do it for this too, although I suppose it'll be a while since they haven't release the limited ones yet lol.

Sölf

It can be amusing in small doses, but when I have to sit through extended scenes of it, as in Perfect Insider, it's excruciatingly painful.

I actually really liked that scene. At least grammar and stuff was correct. I think I never really heard understandable and correct German. >_>

Jarmel

Banned
Okay I really got to watch it now. Would you recommend a rewatch of Dead Aggressor? It must have been a decade since I've seen it

No. I would read Wikipedia and possibly watch the final five episodes. The show is interconnected to a heavy extent but if you remember the rough gist of the show, I think that's mostly enough. If you don't remember who Kazuki and Soushi are after reading the Wiki then yea you might want to rewatch the series.

Sölf;198417416 said:
I actually really liked that scene. At least grammar and stuff was correct. I think I never really heard understandable and correct German. >_>

Samurai Champloo had some Dutch people talking in one episode, while the acting isn't super good. It's still very decent and spoken by a native speaker, his lines are even historically accurate! (Although the english subs I saw were faulty).

I think there's some soccer anime with Dutch people as well, but I haven't looked up the scene.

Symphogear did screw up their one line though, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

It can be amusing in small doses, but when I have to sit through extended scenes of it, as in Perfect Insider, it's excruciatingly painful.

I appreciated the effort, but yeah. I was laughing so hard that I didn't follow what was even going on in the scene. Still very memorable though.

Erigu

Well not sure how much publishers matter considering both are a webcomic by One.
Mob Psycho 100 is a webcomic in the sense that it's on the web, yes, but as part of Ura Sunday, i.e. a Shōgakukan site. It very much has a (big) publishing company.
And yeah, I think it's kinda silly to call it a "spin-off". That's a bit like saying Tarantino's flicks are spin-offs of each other because of all those little Easter egg-like references.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom