• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolf Children is good. Worth seeing.

I also enjoyed Summer Wars.

Plus, Hosoda helped make the Samurai Champloo opening, so he's okay in my book.

Line_HTX

All anime is bad. If there is an anime you think isn't bad, there's something wrong with you, but the anime is still bad. I know this because I know there is something wrong with me. There is something wrong with all of us here. All anime is bad.

Therefore, BONES is bad, right?

;P

sonicmj1

God Eater 11

Oh, so that's what Aegis is...

Ewwwwww.

This show continues to be well-directed. The final flashback was incredibly intense and disturbing.

I'm really not sure where this is leading. I get a general sense of what has to happen, but the motivations underlying
Johannes's actions that betray Lindow, the independent survivor colony, and Operation Meteorite itself
seem like they'll be a ridiculous enough sort of nonsense to undercut most of what they're going for.

Still, I find myself unreasonably excited for this show every week, so it's clearly doing a lot right. It's so hard to find good hot-blooded action anime these days.

Maybe I should watch Majin Bone...

kewlmyc

Heavy Object 12

hpRwrc4l.png

That might be the oddest resolution to a forced marriage plotline I've seen in an anime. It's implied she joins the harem after it too. Weird.

Also, yes, Wolf Children is great. You should watch it.

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 44

I wonder if Killua is ever going to face an opponent he has to take seriously. So far the only person who's given Killua trouble is Illumi, and Illumi cowed Killua into submission before he could even begin to fight. I'd like to see Killua having to go all out.

Still, I find myself unreasonably excited for this show every week, so it's clearly doing a lot right. It's so hard to find good hot-blooded action anime these days.

Maybe I should watch Majin Bone...

Majin Bone achieves a good balance of hot blooded action and tender character moments, which is what makes it so special.

Line_HTX

I'm with hosanna here. The reason why I said I gave Your Lie too many chances is I wanted to keep watching so bad, and I loved the melodramatic atmosphere and having the musical performance aspect resonated personally with me. However, having comedy in inappropriate places is NOT balance, it is terrible whiplash. Period. Because it did that time and time again, I eventually got frustrated with the show to the point where I couldn't get into the emotional parts of the show anymore. I would have less of a problem with the comedy if it wasn't so sudden and kills the mood and the purpose of the melodramatic scene. It's a shame, it could've been a part of the AOTY top 10.

kewlmyc

Ratings-

Clannad After Story:
AnimeGAF : 2/10
The World: 9/10

Sword Art Online
AnimeGAF: 1/10
The World: 8/10

Your Lie in April
AnimeGAF: 3/10
The world: 9/10

Your Honor, the prosecution rests it's case.

I get the middle one (because it's justified), but I thought people here liked Clannad AS and Your Lie in April.

Mailbox

I get the middle one (because it's justified), but I thought people here liked Clannad AS and Your Lie in April.

Some people can't look over Clannad AS' ending or Your Lie in April's slapstick that conflicts with the themes.

I for one, consider those flaws that don't break the series respectively. Though, that said, i consider Clannad AS to be finished at the end of episode 21, so...

Line_HTX

I'm trying to understand why I liked After Story yet I can't bring myself to care about Angel Beats and Charlotte. I can't explain it, lol

Jintor

oh did i miss a chance to shit all over sao again? lol

Seriously though I keep thinking about Sound Euphorium. I think I might try and shotgun it over the next week or so.

Mailbox

I'm trying to understand why I liked After Story yet I can't bring myself to care about Angel Beats and Charlotte. I can't explain it, lol

Probably because after story had a plot with direction and didn't try multiple different shows in the span of a single cour

I didn't hate angel beats

blurr

Ratings-

Clannad After Story:
AnimeGAF : 2/10
The World: 9/10

Sword Art Online
AnimeGAF: 1/10
The World: 8/10

Your Lie in April
AnimeGAF: 3/10
The world: 9/10

Your Honor, the prosecution rests it's case.

what makes AnimeGAF different from the rest of the world I wonder

ibyea

Banned
All anime is bad. If there is an anime you think isn't bad, there's something wrong with you, but the anime is still bad. I know this because I know there is something wrong with me. There is something wrong with all of us here. All anime is bad.

Someone here realizes the truth. :p

Russ T

Banned
I'm with hosanna here. The reason why I said I gave Your Lie too many chances is I wanted to keep watching so bad, and I loved the melodramatic atmosphere and having the musical performance aspect resonated personally with me. However, having comedy in inappropriate places is NOT balance, it is terrible whiplash. Period. Because it did that time and time again, I eventually got frustrated with the show to the point where I couldn't get into the emotional parts of the show anymore. I would have less of a problem with the comedy if it wasn't so sudden and kills the mood and the purpose of the melodramatic scene. It's a shame, it could've been a part of the AOTY top 10.

Well, sure, for you.

I experienced no whiplash ever. It worked great. It was nothing but balance.

Get on my level!

As in the rest of the world of anime fans? I'd imagine an average age well above 12.

That doesn't explain GAF's love for [insert any anime].

So, crunchyroll did an interview with the director of ERASED, and he said he viewed the series as a "human drama in the guise of a suspense thriller." So he apparently doesn't view it as a mystery.

Regarding the KONO DIO DA scene in the anime, well this is what it looked like in the manga. (Huge spoilers obviously.)
While that scene was definitely not great, I think the issues with ERASED are due more to the original work than the director.

blurr

So, crunchyroll did an interview with the director of ERASED, and he said he viewed the series as a "human drama in the guise of a suspense thriller." So he apparently doesn't view it as a mystery.

He had been succeeding in doing that but the thrills feel too disjointed to call it a 'guise'.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Regarding the KONO DIO DA scene in the anime, well this is what it looked like in the manga. (Huge spoilers obviously.)
While that scene was definitely not great, I think the issues with ERASED are due more to the original work than the director.
Yeah, this is also my impression when reading the manga. The thriller and mystery aspect was weak, but the drama surrounding Satoru friend and his mom was great.

Line_HTX

Yep. We talk about it every Thursday afternoon. Also the problems with this story is more the original work than the SAO director, though he could've presented the drama part a little better.

Well, sure, for you.

I experienced no whiplash ever. It worked great. It was nothing but balance.

Get on my level!

The Light shall BURN you!

Line_HTX

Dimension W 04

Oh shit, this is finally the start of progression without standalones now.

I'm kind of going ahead and catching up so I can watch it again later. As I said, this is one of those where I need to watch it twice to get a better grasp and catch what I missed.

Mailbox

I honestly think people would enjoy Erased a lot more if Episode 5 never existed.

Personally, I still like the show a good deal, but I definitely understand the complaints

zulux21

so I finally took a look at next season, and while there are a couple really strong looking shows, overall I don't see myself picking up a ton of shows.

only shows I plan to check out
Boku no Hero Academia (easy one I like bones, I like the manga)
Bungou Stray Dogs (the trailers look nice and again bones)
Sakamoto desu ga? (I need to see if this is funny or just dumb)
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri (I liked attack on titan a clone won't hurt until season 2 :p)
Sousei no Onmyouji (looks like a standard action show but should be fun enough)
Super Lovers (I am curious why the manga is rated so high)
Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! (I love the series, but man the animation in the trailers is bad)
JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai (I need to burn through part 3 now as my sports shows are ending with my friend so we are gonna pick up jojo instead :p)

shows I may check out
Joker Game (don't know what to make of this one)
Mayoiga (I don't mind the synopsis but it's not being done by people I trust)
Kiznaiver (trigger in general is pretty miss for me and the trailer had moments that looked decent and moments that looked bad)
12-sai.: Chicchana Mune no Tokimeki (I am curious if it's anything like marmalade boy or other shows like that, but there isn't much to go off of as it seems to have very few people who pay attention to it in english speaking parts.)
Kuromukuro (I'm curious but it looked boring in trailers)

even if the shows don't pan out in spring at least I have Orange and Soma in summer :p

I honestly think people would enjoy Erased a lot more if Episode 5 never existed.

Personally, I still like the show a good deal, but I definitely understand the complaints

I need to catch up on dimension W (as I decided to just wait for the dub)
as well as Assclass season 2 (also watching the dub)

but erased is still easily my anime of the season.

Cause Angel Beats and Charlotte tried to cram too much stuff into a single cour show. Watch Kanon 2006 and Little Busters instead :p

Sölf

Next season will kill me. 4 Shows in our weekly stream, not completely sure which those will be. Additionally, I want to watch these, whether we watch them in the stream or not:

- Big Order
- Boku no Hero Academia
- Bungou Stray Dogs
- Concrete Revolution S2
- flying witch
- Gyakuten Saiban
- JoJo Part 4
- Joker Game
- Kiznaiver
- Not Attack on Titan/Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
- Kuma Miko
- Mayoiga
- Sakamoto desu ga?
(- Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou)

13 fucking shows. Maybe 14. I am so dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom