• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Psycho Pass was even more stupid because they showed an in-universe translator and then decided to keep using Engrish. They gave themselves a reason to switch back to Japanese (even if they didn't need it since people are totally accepting of everyone speaking one language in films) and then don't even use it.

Jarmel

Banned
Mob Psycho 100 is a webcomic in the sense that it's on the web, yes, but as part of Ura Sunday, i.e. a Shōgakukan site. It very much has a (big) publishing company.
And yeah, I think it's kinda silly to call it a "spin-off". That's a bit like saying Tarantino's flicks are spin-offs of each other because of all those little Easter egg-like references.

And OPM is being self-published so I don't find the reasoning of different publishers as being persuasive. As for Tarantino, his movies aren't in the same universe.

And OPM is being self-published so I don't find the reasoning of different publishers as being persuasive. As for Tarantino, his movies aren't in the same universe.

If you're going to argue that one series is a spinoff of another, you're going to have to do better than "A character from one series shows up as a one-time cameo in the other."

I don't think they are in the same universe, but Mob does reference OPM in one scene and vice versa.

It's the same way that Pixar movies have small references to other Pixar movies or how there is Mario and Yoshi in Link's Awakening. It's nothing more then a small wink.

3984866-tornado.jpg

I only recently read MP100 but this was the only thing I noticed and its literally the first chapter.

Jarmel

Banned
I only recently read MP100 but this was the only thing I noticed and its literally the first chapter.

That's chapter 8 but whatever. At this point the argument isn't being particularly fruitful so I'll just say I'm wrong and leave it at that. I do consider works that come after a mainline work that are in the same universe to be spin-offs but in Mob Psycho's case it's ambigious enough that it's not really worth arguing over.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The lamp shows up in the title sequence of all Pixar films. Coincidence???

Mailbox

Moist huh? you have to read 16.5 to get that out of SAO, lol.

*COUGH*

God damn you KiritoBread.

Guys let's not fight.

We don't need more friendships to end in here.

We will eventually run out of best friends to replace them with and post on facebook

I'd prefer we not have another mass banning. That said I honestly think this thread is more interesting and respectable than it ever has been.

Not that i still don't find it hard to talk about anime I like for fear of ridicule here (seriously some of the anime you guys love to hate here surprises me)

Disagreements are the key to strong friendships though.

Sometimes DTL says some profound things.

*COUGH*

God damn you KiritoBread.

I'd prefer we not have another mass banning. That said I honestly think this thread is more interesting and respectable than it ever has been.

Not that i still don't find it hard to talk about anime I like for fear of ridicule here (seriously some of the anime you guys love to hate here surprises me)

Sometimes DTL says some profound things.

Embrace the hate

I will never not take the Psycho-pass bullying against me as a joke. I've shown them my dirty secrets. I'll find theirs.

John Blade

Just starting to watch Gunslinger Girl and done Ep 01. Man...so much depressing backstory for the main female characters. Look like this might be a show I can get myself into but at the same time get more depress from watching it. Also, Emma A Victorian Romance is spoken a bit here which is good as that show need to discuss a bit here as it's a well down romance show which don't use too much Anime tropes when telling the story. Welp, off for Ep 02.

Mailbox

Embrace the hate

I will never not take the Psycho-pass bullying against me as a joke. I've shown them my dirty secrets. I'll find theirs.

Screw it, I'll give you mine then: I really like Date a Live season 1

Come at me.

(I didn't like season 2 though)

(I probably shouldn't have done this)

It could be worse, he could have stopped at ep.18 of S1 like I did, lol.

BTW, It is confirmed, I can do $hit banner work fron my work PC in MS Paint. Good thing ClayStatue's hooking me up with a legit banner, lol.

HO8DUWJ.png

You should put all KKK(Kiznaiver, Kabaneri, Kuromukuro) spring originals in the banner(only Kizunaiver in the banner now).

Prince of Stride Alternative 10

This show looks rather nice when it's raining.

That song kicking in when Riku came out of his funk was so cheesy, I couldn't help but smile.

Cornbread78

You should put all KKK(Kiznaiver, Kabaneri, Kuromukuro) spring originals in the banner(only Kizunaiver in the banner now).

ClayStatue is putting together the main banner for the thread, but I'll make sure they are represented.

Planetes ep.15-16
This show is excellent. Both episodes range from personal and relationship growth to development of the team. I mean, even the secretary had an episode of development. Now, I still wish there was a more specific plotline to follow, but the show is excellent in this format as well.

Russ T

Banned

If someone hates your favorite anime, you hate their favorite anime. Give and take, that's what relationships are all about!

For example, Your Lie in April gets a surprising amount of hate around here, which honestly shocked me at first. Sure, it's melodrama, but it's melodrama done well. It's one of my favorite series in a long time!

But at least one of those haters also loves Mouryou no Hako, which is objectively trash, I'M PRETTY SURE. I mean I looked up the word "trash" in a dictionary and instead of text, it had a tiny screen embedded in the page that was just playing the series on loop.

JulianImp

Looking at the amazon listings, it looks like character commentaries are included with both the BDs and DVDs. I don't see anything about subtitles.

Thanks a lot. I guess I'll be telling him to get me whichever's cheaper, since I'd really like to get my hands on those commentaries even if it's going to take me a while before I can fully undestand what the characters are saying.

Also, as I've realized that it's going to be really hard for me to get them all at a ¥2.000 price tag per disc, I've been trying to think which arcs would be the best and I should ask him to prioritize. So far I think the ones I've absolutely got to get are Nadeko Medusa and Hitagi End, and after that I was considering Shinobu Time and Yotsugi Doll. Which ones would you guys recommend?

Mailbox

If someone hates your favorite anime, you hate their favorite anime. Give and take, that's what relationships are all about!

For example, Your Lie in April gets a surprising amount of hate around here, which honestly shocked me at first. Sure, it's melodrama, but it's melodrama done well. It's one of my favorite series in a long time!

But at least one of those haters also loves Mouryou no Hako, which is objectively trash, I'M PRETTY SURE. I mean I looked up the word "trash" in a dictionary and instead of text, it had a tiny screen embedded in the page that was just playing the series on loop.

See!

Well Puruzi has bad taste anyway.

You got a point which is why I've reneged a few posts above. Lol.

I've watched so much bad anime that I feel like I have a good grip on what is really decent, good, or bad.

That said I do have some guilty pleasures that I just can't help but like despite me knowing their flaws.

"Date a live" and "say 'I love you'" are a couple that fall under that banner :p

Cornbread78

Ratings-

Clannad After Story:
AnimeGAF : 2/10
The World: 9/10

Sword Art Online
AnimeGAF: 1/10
The World: 8/10

Your Lie in April
AnimeGAF: 3/10
The world: 9/10

Your Honor, the prosecution rests it's case.

JulianImp

I've watched so much bad anime that I feel like I have a good grip on what is really decent, good, or bad.

That said I do have some guilty pleasures that I just can't help but like despite me knowing their flaws.

"Date a live" and "say 'I love you'" are a couple that fall under that banner :p

Hey, I liked the latter (and haven't watched the former)! Not everyone in this thread hates all the shows you like, but it's quite likely that all your liked shows are hated by at least someone in here though.

If it's guilty pleasure shows I'm still ashamed of, I'd probably have to say TLR:D. The way they tried to work a plot (more like "plot") into a show that's basically about a nice guy protagonist being put in all kinds of lewd situations against his will by pure chance is, well... you know. It was always hilarous to see how conspicuous black or white bars would rush to fill up 90% of the screen whenever an obviously lewd scene was happening, and the attempt to give the show a semblance of plot made it more fun to watch than the episodic format of the series' previous seasons.

I don't mind melodrama - I'm a big fan of Osamu Dezaki, and he's the master of melodrama. Your Lie in April's big problem is that it clumsily juxtaposes drama and comedy right next to each other in a jarring fashion. For instead, when Kousei first encounters Kaori, there's a beautiful moment where Kousei is touched by Kaori's playing on a melodica. But then there's a gust of wind and all of a sudden there's a "You saw my panties, pervert!" gag, which is one of the stalest forms of ecchi shounen comedy and completely ruins the atmosphere. This is a persistent problem which frequently gets in the way of sustaining a mood. If all the comedy was removed from the series, it would be much better.

Russ T

Banned

Everyone's got their own quirks. :D

take it back ):

I don't mind melodrama - I'm a big fan of Osamu Dezaki, and he's the master of melodrama. Your Lie in April's big problem is that it clumsily juxtaposes drama and comedy right next to each other in a jarring fashion. For instead, when Kousei first encounters Kaori, there's a beautiful moment where Kousei is touched by Kaori's playing on a melodica. But then there's a gust of wind and all of a sudden there's a "You saw my panties, pervert!" gag, which is one of the stalest forms of ecchi shounen comedy and completely ruins the atmosphere. This is a persistent problem which frequently gets in the way of sustaining a mood. If all the comedy was removed from the series, it would be much better.

I ain't gonna say it's perfect (but, then, what is), but where you see juxtaposition, I see balance. I'm no huge fan of panty gags, either, but, though I expected it to just be a one-off thing that I could ignore, I thought it worked surprisingly well in setting up their relationship. Maybe it's just who I am; my moods can swing pretty wildly throughout the day. I might wake up feeling spectacular and an hour later I'm lamenting how life is pointless misery, or flip in the opposite direction. So a work jumping from comedy to drama and back doesn't feel bizarre to me. I found it adorable, funny, sad, heartwarming, heartwrenching... Predictable, too, but its predictability made it all the more impactful for how strongly I felt emotions while watching it.

It's a beautiful series, in my opinion.

Honestly my biggest complaint is how old the characters are. They (well, Kaori and Kousei) talk and act like young adults, but they're goddamn middle schoolers. But I've come to accept age discrepancies in anime. Or, not accept, but i'm able to ignore it, I guess. Suspend disbelief, etc.

ibyea

Banned

I wouldn't call the negative opinions on Your Lie in April hate. At least for me as a detractor of that show I recognize a lot of its good qualities but certain things in that show sours me on some of the drama.

JulianImp

Yeah, this whole thing really stood out for me. I mean I did cry while watching the show (mostly when Arima finally got over his mom thanks to Kaori), but the reason I think I liked AnoHana more is because the latter didn't resort to mood whiplashes between comedy and drama/romance just for the sake of shaking things up (I don't actually remember AnoHana having much comedy after the first couple episodes), while KimiUso was all about setting up a romantic/dramatic scene and tearing the mood to pieces with some stale gag.

Russ T

Banned
I wouldn't call the negative opinions on Your Lie in April hate. At least for me as a detractor of that show I recognize a lot of its good qualities but certain things in that show sours me on some of the drama.

Nah, I'm exaggerating. I don't think I've seen any outright hate. Mostly just wanted to joke around to make a point. I don't necessarily disagree with any of the complaints - they're entirely valid. But (as I explained in my excruciatingly long edit above) it worked for me where it failed for others.

I ain't gonna say it's perfect (but, then, what is), but where you see juxtaposition, I see balance. I'm no huge fan of panty gags, either, but, though I expected it to just be a one-off thing that I could ignore, I thought it worked surprisingly well in setting up their relationship. Maybe it's just who I am; my moods can swing pretty wildly throughout the day. I might wake up feeling spectacular and an hour later I'm lamenting how life is pointless misery, or flip in the opposite direction. So a work jumping from comedy to drama and back doesn't feel bizarre to me. I found it adorable, funny, sad, heartwarming, heartwrenching... Predictable, too, but its predictability made it all the more impactful for how strongly I felt emotions while watching it.

A work can go back and forth between drama and comedy successfully - Gintama, for instance, has some good examples of this - but Your Lie in April does not do this, and the comedy is pretty much all bad stuff on its own, the kind of stuff I hate to see in any series no matter its overall tone or subject matter. Like others have said, trying to create serious drama about child abuse when you have the main character get abused all the time for the sake of slapstick humor is a really tone-deaf move.

Russ T

Banned
puruzi pls

A work can go back and forth between drama and comedy successfully - Gintama, for instance, has some good examples of this - but Your Lie in April does not do this, and the comedy is pretty much all bad stuff on its own, the kind of stuff I hate to see in any series no matter its overall tone or subject matter. Like others have said, trying to create serious drama about child abuse when you have the main character get abused all the time for the sake of slapstick humor is a really tone-deaf move.

Yeah I mean, it's valid for you to feel that way. I just completely disagree.

...I found AnoHana to be pretty damn manipulative and shallow in comparison.

I would not put a badly written story like your lie in april on any list of notable drama. Angel Beats, Anohana, Nagiasu, Glasslip, blow it out of the water. Your lie in april only had the mother plot going for it, after that it became aggravating. The romances were annoying and silly and the lead fem character was pretty aggravating and forgettable.

"The World"

OK.

Yeah I mean, it's valid for you to feel that way. I just completely disagree.

...I found AnoHana to be pretty damn manipulative and shallow in comparison.

Sure, Ano Hana is as manipulative as any Key VN. But Your Lie in April is manipulative as well, considering the whole
the girl dies at the end
thing.

duckroll

All anime is bad. If there is an anime you think isn't bad, there's something wrong with you, but the anime is still bad. I know this because I know there is something wrong with me. There is something wrong with all of us here. All anime is bad.

jgminto

Ratings-

Clannad After Story:

Sword Art Online

Your Lie in April

This is also a world where Trump is a political front runner. Dumb shit can be popular pretty easily.

Ratings-

Clannad After Story:

Sword Art Online

Your Lie in April

OBJECTION!

phoenix-deskslam.gif

Your Honor, there is a clear contradiction in this statement! World ratings cannot be used as an accurate measure to determine a show's actual quality! A show's quality is measured through thoughtful analysis and well-written reviews!

phoenix-document(b).gif

Furthermore, "the world" as you describe it, Cornbread, doesn't appear to be making such thoughtful insight into why they would rate those shows that way. Anyone can so easily rate something 10/10 without giving it a second thought or a proper review!

phoenix-objecting.gif

So tell me, where is the prosecution's real evidence for why those are genuinely good shows?

Russ T

Banned
Sure, Ano Hana is as manipulative as any Key VN. But Your Lie in April is manipulative as well, considering the whole
the girl dies at the end
thing.

Well, that's why I specified that I was comparing them!

Logically, I can observe both series and acknowledge that yeah they're being manipulative as hell. (I should clarify right now that I'm not of the opinion that being manipulative is necessarily a bad thing.) But when I watched Your Lie in April, that did not stand out to me or bother me in any fashion. AnoHana on the other hand...

I don't think AnoHana was bad (I've got a friend who haaaaaaaaaaates it and I love riling him up about it), but it definitely felt like fourth tier compared to Your Lie in April's first tier.

Friends dont let friends watch bad anime :(

Dedication Through Light said:

You must really hate us, then! D:

Dresden

The Bboy and the Beast -

the movie is really fond of Moby Dick. Fond of as in fond of showing it off, namedropping it, and then completing its shallow engagement with the text by ending the movie with a fight against a giant CG whale. Somewhere in the middle, one of the characters chirps enthusiastically that hey, Ahab isn't fighting a whale, maybe he's fighting himself. Like whoa, right??? Deep as fuck.

Fatherhood is treated similarly--it's basically resolved via a punchy training montage and at its end the boy is nearly a man--and the only real crisis in the movie is resolved promptly by circumstance, so that the boy--now almost a man--doesn't actually have to choose between his surrogate beast-father and his human father. He gets both, in a somewhat grisly fashion; imagine if in Wolf Children, the wolf-boy didn't have to choose between civilization and the wild, and just lived with his mom the rest of his life while carrying the mentor-fox's fur in his backpack.

like wow, this was just super bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom