• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

I think I'm gonna cut back on the number of airing shows from next season, maybe 1 or 2. I want to take a break and then start chugging some older shows, my to watch list is piling up.

yami4ct

Wolf Children and Summer Wars are really good tho

Hey guys, you know what's also a very good movie? The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Also, Our War Game is a really interesting Summer Wars Prototype.

Hosoda's failure rate is still way low. Very much an A+ Director in my book currently.

duckroll

Hosoda has an interesting track record.

Digimon The Movie = Really interesting artsy take on the virtual pet concept, exploring themes like childhood fears, dangerous pets outgrowing their owners, and the feeling of loss.

Digimon Adventures: Our War Game = A more populist approach on the growing Digimon brand. More action, more drama, and tacked on relationship angst.

Howl's Moving Castle = Attempted to make something different and more artistic at Ghibli, got shown the door.

One Piece = Uses a popular brand to express all his anger and dissatisfaction in a very visual way, but ultimately still a shounen action film with a predictable climax.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time = Very moving and grounded depiction of adolescence framed around a loose scifi incident story. Doesn't hold the viewer's hand.

Summer Wars = Mainstream populist feel-good family action drama film with lots of forced emotions, relationship angst, and cool fights.

Wolf Children = Deeply emotional and personal take on motherhood and how children change as they grow. Very mature storytelling.

Boy and the Beast = Dresden says it's shit like Nolan's Dark Knight Rises turd.

So it seems to me that for every personal film that Hosoda makes which is "for art" in a sense, he seems to either consciously or subconsciously follow it up with a more mainstream feel good film. For every film where he has "something to say", he follows it up with something that is just "cool". That's how it seems to me anyway, lol.

yami4ct

Digimon The Movie = Really interesting artsy take on the virtual pet concept, exploring themes like childhood fears, dangerous pets outgrowing their owners, and the feeling of loss.

Digimon Adventures: Our War Game = A more populist approach on the growing Digimon brand. More action, more drama, and tacked on relationship angst.

Howl's Moving Castle = Attempted to make something different and more artistic at Ghibli, got shown the door.

One Piece = Uses a popular brand to express all his anger and dissatisfaction in a very visual way, but ultimately still a shounen action film with a predictable climax.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time = Very moving and grounded depiction of adolescence framed around a loose scifi incident story. Doesn't hold the viewer's hand.

Summer Wars = Mainstream populist feel-good family action drama film with lots of forced emotions, relationship angst, and cool fights.

Wolf Children = Deeply emotional and personal take on motherhood and how children change as they grow. Very mature storytelling.

So it seems to me that for every personal film that Hosoda makes which is "for art" in a sense, he seems to either consciously or subconsciously follow it up with a more mainstream feel good film. For every film where he has "something to say", he follows it up with something that is just "cool". That's how it seems to me anyway, lol.

Didn't he ditch his writing partner for The Boy and the Beast because it was about fatherhood and he felt he didn't need her touch? That would explain a ton. A lot of his best work, and even his populist work like Summer Wars, has a feminine feel to it. Wolf's Children is a story about motherhood and it feels like it has a true, deep emotional attachment to what that means. Perhaps it's not Hosoda on his own that makes his work great, but their partnership.

Szadek

Hanamonogatari
Not as goos as Season 2, but still pretty good and a nice conclusion to Kanbaru's story,
Tsukimonogatari is next.

blurr

Even as an Ononoki fan and not the biggest Kanbaru fan (not that I dislike her of course), I actually liked Hanamonogatari more than Tsukimonogatari. There were so many good conversations.

TUSR

Banned
Your Lie in April 8-14

This show makes me want to write a series review. With pictures and lots of words.

it's that good.

Line_HTX

Hmm, the seiyus for Yui Hirasawa and Kikko Hoshino will be the new Blossom and Bubbles, eh...

Cause Angel Beats and Charlotte tried to cram too much stuff into a single cour show. Watch Kanon 2006 and Little Busters instead :p

I've already seen Kanon 06 and loved that one too.

Cornbread78

Hmm, the seiyus for Yui Hirasawa and Kikko Hoshino will be the new Blossom and Bubbles, eh...

I've already seen Kanon 06 and loved that one too.

Little Busters Line. Go Watch Little Busters, like ASAP. It's criminally under appreciated.

Your Lie in April 8-14

This show makes me want to write a series review. With pictures and lots of words.

it's that good.

Xx4CKaR.gif
y9UVigC.gif

Let me help, it's a beautiful show..

Jex

Hey, I called Boy and the Beast terrible ages ago!

Aki-at

I watched one battle of the newest Pokemon anime and when did it become good?

Ash is still holding the show back and Sceptile was robbed! D:

So, crunchyroll did an interview with the director of ERASED, and he said he viewed the series as a "human drama in the guise of a suspense thriller." So he apparently doesn't view it as a mystery.

See I would be willing to accept that but the show spent a whole episode trying to figure out who the killer could be and that's without the various instance where it tries to play the mystery angle (Kayo's close encounter, the meeting with the pizza manager, the initial plot point being the unveiling of the killer's identity etc)

I'll admit since the killer's face is in the OP and that only
Yashiro
matched up the profile they didn't want to keep it entirely underwraps but this makes it seem like the show didn't know what it really wanted to be. Ending on so many cliffhangers and specific scenes and yet not establishing multiple characters that could be the suspect just ends up making it feel half-arsed.

I still really like the show though.

Andrew J.

Spring Watchlist

Bakuon - Cute girls riding cute motorcycles.
Boku no Hero Academia - The next big thing, watching mostly for cultural literacy
Gyakuten Saiban - Ace Attorney is my jam, low framerates be damned.
JJBA Part 4 - Mandatory viewing.
Kiznaiver - Praise Trigger.
Kuromukuro - Mmm, ancient magitech robots.
Macross Delta - It's been so long since Frontier that I'm starting to have nostalgia for it in addition to the usual Robotech nostalgia.
Sakamoto desu ga? - Looks like a funny gag series.
Space Patrol Luluco - Praise Trigger. Praise Imaishi.

Jarmel

Banned
Surprising no one Haikyu confirmed for a third season. Coming this Fall. Warning the article does include spoilers for the end of this season.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-03-16/haikyu-volleyball-tv-anime-gets-season-3-in-fall/.99844

That seems like a bit too quick of a turnaround. That could be another 26 episode season with only Summer inbetween.

lolwat, Guilty Crown seems have something going to announced tomorrow via noitaminA conference.
https://twitter.com/guilty_crown/status/709974915240300545

I don't expect anything to come of this as Araki is going to be busy dealing with Attack on Titan S2 unless this is a 2018 announcement.

rrvv

Finished rewatching Eureka. Now time for AO. It cannot be that bad right?
So did Branduil iirc. Did anyone like the movie? At all?

I saw it, I think is okay. Not as strong and memorable that his last work. But not bad film by any means. I guess people have high expectations for him.

I feel like Hasoda should try to create movie that is not theme around family. Something different really.

Wasn't it supposedly mostly just Kondo being a dick?

Yeah.

Anipages Forums said:
Ben has already reported of Hosoda first arrival there when the studio was still working on Chihiro so he had to find staff by himself.
Then more info kicked in form of a rumor on 2chan that said, he had already finished the most part of the storyboard. He stopped in the middle of C part.

Animation production had started but animation director Katsuya Kondo was not happy at all with Hosoda's work. Apparently he did not like Hosoda's style not enough Ghibli-ish.
To displease Hosoda when layout stopped by his desk, he would not correct them.
in the end there was a dispute and Hosoda returned to Toei Animation.

Kyuur

Your Lie in April 8-14

it's that good.

You're at the point where I kind of just decided to drop it. Felt like it should have been wrapped up in 12 episodes.

phaze

My problem is, I'm getting the impression that he's not doing it to voice his opinion, but rather to serve as a bait post.

It's kind of weird how you tell me not to get triggered when I feel that that's what you're going for with everything you say about Eureka Seven. These constant bait posts

Your impression is wrong then. Especially puzzling since my previous post on Eureka was on issues that bothered me a lot in that show.

Gatchaman Crowds 06

Local girl does everything wrong-ssu.

God Eater 11
014702r8sux.jpg

Six feet underground maybe.

I'm not quite sure why everyone considers Lenka to be some kind of Napoleon now. Is it because that one time, he ordered people to attack Aragami from two sides ? Truly an operational mind that would make even Moltke blush...

All caught up, Terraformars was probably the better show, certainly it was the more entertaining one. But I guess it at least looks like GE will have something resembling an actual conclusion, maybe not on the whole Aragami threat, but at least on the Lindow/Aegis/betrayal plotline, which is the one interesting thing it has going for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom