• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Clicking on this spoiler out of mere curiosity, those all seems like perfectly normal reactions to me.

I mean, why shouldn't people get upset that
the girl the MC tried to protect throughout the entire series not end up getting together with him in the end?

It's a normal feeling of getting invested in a character and wanting him to succeed, and the disappointment that follows when he doesn't.

I mean yeah, if they act like their entire life is ruined because of it then there's a problem there, but it seems unfair to dismiss general disappointment as immaturity.

So that's why you hate Aldnoah.Zero.
picturen6p3j.png

----

I'd say, acting like it's bad writing when an anime character, for fucking once, behaves like a normal, real person is indeed immature.

It's Satoru's own fault, his focus was on saving Kayo and others in a roundabout ways. Instead of going to the root and trying to figure out who the killer is.

I kinda like it also because, it's not like Satoru gave much of a damn about her before his own mother was stabbed and saving Kayo became one of stepstones on the way to overturning that event.

Line_HTX

Reading through the episode discussion of Erased - 11 on reddit I'm actually once again reminded by just how damn immature the (vocal?) anime audience is at large. Apparently a lot of people are genuinely upset that
Hinazuki ended up getting together with Hiromi instead of waiting for Satoru who's been in a coma for...oh you know, only 15 years.
It wasn't even a thought on my mind that people could take a problem with that. But then, what would you expect of people who might claim to do all this waifu talk just for a laugh but obviously take it far more seriously than healthy.

This reminded me of a friendly argument I had with a friend back in high school about a similar situation in The Eternity You Desire. He was sort of adamant that going with
Haruka
should've happened, but I told him that is madness because at some point you have to move on, hence why
Mitsuki
was the better choice given the circumstances.

TUSR

Banned
It's Satoru's own fault, his focus was on saving Kayo and others in a roundabout ways. Instead of going to the root and trying to figure out who the killer is.

He made a sacrifice and loses out on time he has already lived in the original timeline. And instead of his friends deaths being covered up by the parents. They're able to live full lives.

Qurupeke

hahahaha at that Erased OP.

That was like the clumsiest shit they could have done. Now the whole thing just looks stupid. If they were going to be coy about this then do a new OP from scratch or be more clever about altering it.

What's the problem with the OP? It may not be the most creative edit, but I found it pretty fitting and a good way to tease the twist after it.

Jarmel

Banned
What's the problem with the OP? It may not be the most creative edit, but I found it pretty fitting and a good way to tease the twist after it.

There were multiple cuts that looked stupid because there was nothing there. For example they changed the DoF when Satoru is looking out the window and still change the DoF except nothing is there so the transition looks awkward. Another example being right before the ending on the roof in that it now has the camera moving forward but nothing is happening.

There were obviously supposed to be things happening in those scenes and so by leaving them intact but erasing the center of action, they just look bad in replacement.

Mailbox

People like happy and complete endings way too much, regardless of if they fit or are deserved or not so its not surprising.

Dusk maiden of Amnesia being a prime example.
Great somber lukewarm ending bogged right the fuck down by the last few minutes where a "happy ending" asspull comes out.

Such a shame.

There were multiple cuts that looked stupid because there was nothing there. For example they changed the DoF when Satoru is looking out the window and still change the DoF except nothing is there so the transition looks awkward. Another example being right before the ending on the roof in that it now has the camera moving forward but nothing is happening.

There was obviously supposed to be things happening in those scenes and so by leaving them intact but erasing the center of action, they just look bad in replacement.

Isn't that the point though? Where the absence of something is supposed to be keenly felt? Not that it looks just as complete in either version.

People like happy and complete endings way too much, regardless of if they fit or are deserved or not so its not surprising.

It's not like I hate sad endings!

End of Evangelion was really well done, Code Geass R2 was a riot, My favourite anime is TTGL, etc.

What I like is a sense of closure or accomplishment. As in, I want to feel like the everything in the show was worth it. Loose ends tied up, major character arcs resolved, etc.

I don't understand why simple stuff like this is considered to be a bad thing.

So that's why you hate Aldnoah.Zero.
picturen6p3j.png

I never watched Aldnoah Zero nor do I have the intention of ever doing so.

Jarmel

Banned
Isn't that the point though? Where the absence of something is supposed to be keenly felt? Not that it looks just as complete in either version.

It looks bad and the point was already made with nobody watching in the theater. If you're going to do it, do more than just going into photoshop and erasing Satoru's character model.

Qurupeke

There were obviously supposed to be things happening in those scenes and so by leaving them intact but erasing the center of action, they just look bad in replacement.

I have to admit that they look a bit weird, but I think it's better like that. Their purpose is pretty clear and it's, literary, what happens to Satoru.
Every scene plays out exactly as it would, without Satoru being there. Erased from every scene.
They could change the scenes to some fancy imagery or create a better OP, but I don't think either of them would be as strong.

End of Evangelion was really well done, Code Geass R2 was a riot, My favourite anime is TTGL, etc.

One of them is not something I'd call a happy ending... Maybe satisfying, if anything.

Jarmel

Banned
I have to admit that they look a bit weird, but I think it's better like that. Their purpose is pretty clear and its, literary, what happens to Satoru.
Every scene plays out exactly as it would, without Satoru being there. Erased from every scene.
They could change the scenes to some fancy imagery or create a better OP, but I don't think either of them would be as strong.

But events don't play out exactly as they would, that was the whole point of this episode.

kewlmyc

Clicking on this spoiler out of mere curiosity, those all seems like perfectly normal reactions to me.

I mean, why shouldn't people get upset that
the girl the MC tried to protect throughout the entire series not end up getting together with him in the end?

It's a normal feeling of getting invested in a character and wanting him to succeed, and the disappointment that follows when he doesn't.

I mean yeah, if they act like their entire life is ruined because of it then there's a problem there, but it seems unfair to dismiss general disappointment as immaturity.

It's silly to be upset that someone didn't wait 15 years for their elementary school crush to wake up from a coma instead moving on, especially since no one had any idea if he would ever wake up or not. Kayo moving on is one of the better things I think this series has done instead of going the typical "I'll wait for you forever despite only knowing you a very small portion on my life" crap that anime/manga/LNs are known for.

Qurupeke

But events don't play out exactly as they would, that was the whole point of this episode.

I guess you can interpret it that way, and you're right, but it's still about getting "erased". And that's the only thing they adapt to the OP. I see why you don't like it but it's not that they wanted to portray something much deeper than that. They play with the show's name and one of its themes, in a strictly literal way. Sure, the timeline changed and Satoru isn't actually erased, but I fail to understand how that matters to what they probably wanted to show with those edits.

It's silly to be upset that someone didn't wait 15 years for their elementary school crush to wake up from a coma instead moving on. Kayo moving on is one of the better things I think this series has done instead of going the typical "I'll wait for you forever despite only knowing you a very small portion on my life" crap that anime/manga/LNs are known for.

I think you missed my point. I was referring to the fact that it's all right to be upset about the overall situation. I didn't say that it's okay to be upset about it and call it bad writing because of that.

Jex

Probably less coincidence. It's not Crunchyroll, but Vertical has said (in a panel that I was present at a few years ago) that they are much more likely to release a manga series if they know an anime is coming for it. Sometimes they would know long before a public announcement that one is coming.

I imagine CR has similar insight and strategy.

JKTrix lives??

Jarmel

Banned
So I'm seeing mentioned on Reddit that the Erased finale might be an anime original or a very loose adaptation of the final manga chapters.

From what I've read about the stuff they've cut, this is definitely going to be one of those 'broad strokes' type of ending compared to the source material.

kewlmyc

So I'm seeing mentioned on Reddit that the Erased finale might be an anime original or a very loose adaptation of the final manga chapters.

From what I've read about the stuff they've cut, this is definitely going to be one of those 'broad strokes' type of ending compared to the source material.

Pretty much the 2nd half of Episode 11 was mostly anime original so yeah, I can see a lot of the next episode being a very lose adaption of the manga finale. I'm pretty sure the final scene of the manga will stay intact though.

Satoru will defeat the evil bad man, and he will reveal that the reason he did it was "I forgot why I did it"

Qurupeke

If that's the case, it sucks that since episode 1 we've been hearing nothing but that they'll adapt the manga ending....

Funimation's June releases.

ERASED 11

"I'm talking about you Satoru."

Really? Are you kidding me with that fucking line? Up to that point, it was already stupid, but jesus. Okay, everything between the beginning and the end was admittedly pretty good. That final scene though...

"Hey villain, I'm gonna tell you information for no reason, and give away the one advantage I have!"

Exalted

Speaking of story inconsistencies , what was with the last Marshmallow episode? They pretended like the previous episode didn't exist.

Squishy3

It's funny that a lot of the manga Crunchyroll has licensed have had anime adaptations announced in the past several months. ReLIFE, The Morose Mononokean, Sweetness and Lightning, Orange, Kiss Him Not Me, now Scum's Wish. Not that I think there's any direct connection, but it's an interesting coincidence.
Someone get Crunchyroll to license Teppu

I know it's unpopular, but I'm still upset that Funimation chose Shounen Hollywood to be the one release of theirs that doesn't get a BD.

Maybe it's one of those releases they can't put out on blu-ray.

They wanted to put Future Diary out on blu-ray when they first released it, but there were some legal hangups. Maybe this is similar?

A shame either way.

Lupin 2015 END(?)

Seems like the most recent episode wrapped things up, while the last scene with the trains looked really cool and the conclusion of Rebecca's arc ended on a sweet note, a bit reminiscent of the final scene in Castle of cagliostro I might add, I couldn't really care much about this finale two-parter with Leonardo da Vinci.

It gave me the same feeling as the mid-season finale in which everything is a bit too ambitious.
I mean, if I followed everything correctly the British secret service used research about dreams to create a clone of Leonardo the Vinci who went renegade and tried to turn all the unworthy people of Italy into clones of Leonardo da Vinci by entering their minds. ...something along those lines at least.

It's not that I dislike complicated stories, but during this whole season a lot of episodes felt like a lot of information jammed in just one episode. And then these two-parters come along and take everything to the next level by being even more convoluted! At some point I get lost and just look at the pretty scenes and how smooth Lupin is, without caring about what's really happening.

Looking back, while a lot of full episodes didn't leave a big impression to me, there were enough scenes in which all the strong assets this show has came together in perfect harmony. The music, art style, characters and comedy synergised very well at some points. Which saved a lot of episodes from being bad overall, even a mediocre episode could end on a very strong note.

The three best episodes of the show were:

1) Episode 21: From Japan with Love
2) Episode 12: The End of Lupin III
##########################
3) Episode 10: The Lovesick Pig

With the first two standing miles ahead above the rest, I think the climax of episode 21 is probably what I mean with "everything coming together perfectly".

Interesting show nonetheless, I'd recommend fans of Lupin to just watch the awesome OP and Ep 21 & 12 and then never look back.

Bless Sawashiro for her perfect performance.

Jex

I have zero problems with making even fairly significant deviations from the source material - I just wish they had more changes throughout. The pacing towards the back half of the series has felt incredibly rushed compared to the earlier episodes. This entire script could have done with a serious re-write to fix this (and many other) issues.

Lupin 2015 END(?)

I mean, if I followed everything correctly the British secret service used research about dreams to create a clone of Leonardo the Vinci who went renegade and tried to turn all the unworthy people of Italy into clones of Leonardo da Vinci by entering their minds. ...something along those lines at least.

I spit out my drink. That's something all right.

Jarmel

Banned
I have zero problems with making even fairly significant deviations from the source material - I just wish they had more changes throughout. The pacing towards the back half of the series has felt incredibly rushed compared to the earlier episodes. This entire script could have done with a serious re-write to fix this (and many other) issues.

The flash-forward was an incredible waste of time.

Qurupeke

Kuuchuu Buranko / Trapeze 6-7

This continues to be such a fun show. The first episode's disorder seems to be a lot more common nowadays with social media, in the point I'm not sure how soon this starts to be a problem. The other episode was something I was waiting for, as the Yakuza guy had already appeared a lot. And the episode completely nailed it. I liked how edgy he was, and I loved the puppy scenes. Really on point with the animal representation in this one.

Jex

Lupin 2015 END(?)

The funny thing is, that's not even close to the weirdest Lupin[/B plot I've encountered. There's almost no depth to the weirdness this franchise has toyed with.

Jarmel

Banned
I wonder if Ito was planning for a larger amount of episodes and was told to trim it down because they wanted to match the manga's end time-wise.

There's some weird decisions on the script side that make it seem like they were expecting more episodes.

Jex

I wonder if Ito was planning for a larger amount of episodes and was told to trim it down because they wanted to match the manga's end time-wise.

There's some weird decisions on the script side that make it seem like they were expecting more episodes.

It actually feels like it was written that way, doesn't it? Why else would the beginning be so languorous?

Line_HTX

There's not enough 26 episodes series anymore these days.

It's always 12 or 13 just to promote the original source material instead of making the adaptation good.

=/

Jex

[Gintama] - 314

I'm actually kind of surprised so many of you didn't see through this twist earlier. I thought it was obvious since mask-guy appeared in the OP. Why else would he be masked? Why would his hair be identical etc.

Not that I actually thought they'd go through with it because it seemed real dumb.

Jarmel

Banned
It actually feels like it was written that way, doesn't it? Why else would the beginning be so languorous?

It's not just the speed early on but plot elements were introduced that you would expect them to build on but instead they look to be dropped.

The flash-forward makes a lot more sense in why it exists in the anime if someone told Ito when they were midway through production that instead of getting the 24 he was planning on, they would get 12. 'Do the best with what you got. Good luck!'

It's always 12 or 13 just to promote the original source material instead of making the adaptation good.

=/

Well, there may be fewer 2-cour shows than there were in the mid-2000s boom, but you have to keep these things in perspective.

1) Before late-night TV anime began around 1998, a lot of these manga would have just gotten a couple OVAs or a movie, if they got adapted at all.

2) There's a larger number of anime being produced today in general.

3) With split-cour having become a popular airing method, you have to count shows that have a season break in the middle as 2-cour as well. (e.g., Concrete Revolutio, Snow White with the Red Hair, Bungo Stray Dogs)

Finally, even if you have a 1-cour episode count for an adaptation of a long source material it's still possible to make a satisfying work if you have a creative director and writer who aren't afraid of changing things to make them work well within the limited episode count.

kewlmyc

=/

There's still a decent amount, they're just all split cour now. Gate, Ushio and Tora, Asterisk War, Durarara, Chaika, and Unlimited Blade Works are just a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom