• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I had to post this gif from yesterday, it's an awesome one..

aCXRGwd.png

xh9yswi.gif

blurr

Please tell me that Kabaneri trailer didn't spoil the major twist or whatever of the opening episode? In that the main character gets killed.

lol watch then that the Yuki Kaiji character becomes the lead

Yea come to think of it, the dialogue does dabble on some 'familiar' lines: whether a "kabenari" is a friend of human or an enemy; that person is neither a "kabenari" or a "human" etc.

Line_HTX

Erased 11

Cheesy, but now I'm pumped up for the finale next Thursday!

BOOOO, SHE DIDN'T SAY THOSE WORDS!!

I have a strong feeling that a huge chunk of stuff was skipped, and they probably kept the most important parts due to time constraints while keeping that "hook" that the director was talking about in his Crunchyroll interview.

ONE MORE TO GO!

erased 11

Surprisingly, I actually liked this episode. I kept waiting for it to fall apart but it didn't.

UNFORTUNATELY there is only one episode left, so its all for naught because I don't see any way this can wrap up in 20 more minutes and feel satisfactory.

Qurupeke

Erased 11

Hmm, I'm pretty conflicted. The pace was rather weird. Like they had several scenes they wanted to animate and they put them all in this episode. It was rather lacking, and I have a feeling that I should have read the manga already, because this seems to be the anime's mistake. If everything that happened on this episode was stretched to 2 or 3 episodes, I'd have left speechless, because there were several great moments.

The episode starts with a rather shocking development, I really didn't expect them to go that way. And the scenes that followed were pretty devastating. But for the plot's sake, a lot of it was fast forwarded... And then we're back to more scenes with the killer (*crows fly*), which gave me a feeling of uneasiness. Really chilling, especially the show's opening and how it ended. But the rest got fast forwarded too. Fuck this shit. Ridiculous.

One more episode and I'm off to the manga.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Erased Episode 11:

Yea, I am split on this episode as on the one hand pulling out cheesy plot devices from the hackist of hack daytime soap operas is enough for me to want to wrap a rule on the hands of the writer. On the other hand I liked how painstaking and realistic the whole process was and we are no longer in the stupidest timeline.

zulux21

Well, yeah, that's what I'm saying. Thinking that Western companies funding anime will "increase the likelihood of interesting material/subject matter" seems misguided, unless you just want more of the type of show Toonami airs.

I'm fine with that :p
more action based shows means less ecchi and moe I end up watching to pass time lol.

Jarmel

Banned
So just skipping through the Kabaneri trailer and trying to see if I can predict Okouchi (yes I know that's impossible). So there are these two shots in the trailer.
In which the main character has a red glint in his eye and doing a somewhat zombie like pose. He's also bleeding or has someone else's blood on him and is missing his glasses. There is another cut that is shown in the trailer that takes place at roughly the same time.

In which the main character has a gun and is fighting off a zombie horde. Now in the second group of pictures, he has his gun thing but in the first he doesn't. This is the only scene without his glasses and the background is similar. So he is either completely zombified at this point or partially there because he gets stabbed in the chest. I guess he finds his glasses later or this takes place before.

So this might be the Eren scenario where he gets infected and is fighting the infection but one of the girls tries to kill him off.

Quasar

I'm fine with that :p
more action based shows means less ecchi and moe I end up watching to pass time lol.

Given my general disinterest in shonen jump shows that would of course bum me out. Give me more time for reading I guess. Of course that might also reduce sports and idol shows, which is on the pro side of the ledger.

Though really that kind of interference in another countries culture kind of bothers me.

zulux21

Given my general disinterest in shonen jump shows that would of course bum me out. Give me more time for reading I guess. Of course that might also reduce sports and idol shows, which is on the pro side of the ledger.

I don't mind sports shows either.

also I see that crunchyroll updated their PC video player (wonder when that happened I haven't used them in a while) but they seem to have changed their stingy video time out timing.

if I paused for 5-10 minutes in the past when I went to resume the video would lock up after 60 seconds, now it seems I can go for at least 30 minutes paused before that happens which helps while I am talking on forums.

phaze

Erased 11

So this is where the
NTR meme
came from huh.

Satoru
got hit with the stupid stick yet again at the end.

Cornbread78

Erased ep.11
I don't even know how to feel about that episode; it was excellent and the
Kayo
part was really good, but it kinda broke my heart for
Satoru.
Best mom continues to be best mom,
but now, how is he going to get out of the situation he is in? At least he spent some time working his butt off to try and get back together physically.
Airi has to be completely out of the timeline, now, right? I kept thinking there was a link there between the time leaps, but I guess not., unless she is the one that rushes to save the day somehow, but he wouldn't know her, so
.... Dammit, I have to wait another week now!

Non Non Biyori 12 END

A really pleasant show overall. Some low moments when it went for otaku-style humor or tried to go louder/faster, but some real high moments that took advantage of the relaxed rural setting as well. At its best, it made good use of slow pacing to build an atmospheric setting, draw out an emotion, or create awkward humor. I'm a fan of when slice-of-life shows make a point of passing through the seasons of the year, as in this or Koufuku Graffiti.

Erased - 11

Sachiko best mom. In a way I'm excited it turned out this way, but I'm not sure how it'll be resolved decently.
I almost expected the show to
continue down the road to the end with Sensei taking an interest with his new 'mouse' forever, who never regains his erased memories. In trade for that no more 'thread' killings.
I started to chuckle at the spider web in the elevator. Satoru has some explaining to do because I can't figure out his line of thinking.

That OP change though

Crocodile

Well, yeah, that's what I'm saying. Thinking that Western companies funding anime will "increase the likelihood of interesting material/subject matter" seems misguided, unless you just want more of the type of show Toonami airs.

Seems good to me and I'd argue most Western Anime fans. More shows like GitS: SAC, Big O, Space Dandy, etc.? Yes please <3

Erased - 11

Hmm I'll just spoiler all of this for convenience.

First of all, it's rather interesting that they went with this 15 years in coma route, which I really didn't foresee. After last episode I mentioned that Satoru might survive his ordeal because of lowered body temperature and what not, but I gotta voice my disdain about terrible cliffhanger usage once again. I thought Satoru was in a much more dire situation because Yashiro seemed to ignore Satoru's remark about "knowing his future", considering that he just kept walking with no reaction. Therefore it seemed like Satoru was left for certain death. In this episode we see that Yashiro did actually decide to act and rescue Satoru after all, which means we were once again misdirected for no other reason than heightened suspense. Which is stupid, since it would've been enough of a cliffhanger if we knew Yashiro did turn around in order to perhaps save Satoru and...well, let's get excited about what he might do then!

I do like the 15 years coma in the sense that I love major time progressions if done right and it was sort of a delight to see some of the other characters grown up, especially Hinazuki with a child. Now, although I can suspend my disbelief just fine for this I do want to mention that Satoru should've probably been much, much more mentally affected by a fricking 15 years coma. Are there any records out on people who woke up after 5/10/15 years of coma (which should be extremely rare to begin with) and how that affected them mentally and physically? Go to see that it had taken some proper physical toll on him at least. As it so happens the same director also had to direct a series where some boy simply stood up after being motionless stuck in a VR game for 2 years lololol. *see edit* There's also the question as to why the 'revival' thingy didn't just return Satoru to the previous present timeline as it happened when he failed to save Hinazuki but let's not delve into that.

As usual with Erased I liked the bits of character relationships whereas the thriller parts just keep crumbling apart. While Yashiro was mumbling some inane justification for his behavior I can't even begin to understand this master plan of his. He wanted to keep Satoru alive and then...observe him? Kill him? Also, good thing he went into a long coma with memory loss just according to keikaku or something. It's just that the more I think about all this the less sense it makes and since all this is bad to begin with, why waste my time.

Of course one has to mention the pacing which went completely bananas in the last 5 minutes, perhaps ruining an otherwise somewhat competent episode. You can't just skip what would've likely been 2 episodes worth of suspense building and so forth. With this ending, I also have very little hope for the last episode.

oWIrwCI.png

Btw., amazingly subtle symbolism once again. /facepalm

edit:
So after some quick google searches it does indeed seem possible for people
who were in coma for over a decade to wake up without having a vegetable mind. I also give Satoru some more benefits because he was mentally more developed than the average child giving his already existing adult knowledge and thus wasn't really missing out on the changes puberty have psychologically speaking.

Erased 11

So this is where the
NTR meme
came from huh.

Satoru
got hit with the stupid stick yet again at the end.

Did that meme ever come up here at all? Because I can't remember any such thing.

And yeh,
"I remember what you did Yashiro!" *stand up from wheelchair and falls flat onto his face*

I hope Satoru has noticed earlier and got a plan or developed one quickly just in the moment. It better doesn't go some route where he gets to show us just how well his physical rehabilitation went...

JulianImp

Eureka 7 AO 11

OK I like Truth now

Goth Lori style, heh.

I think I'm done with abandoning the thread whenever a new episode of erased airs because it's obviously not a mystery show, and thus I guess there's nothing relevant that could possibly end up being spoiled for me.

zulux21

jojo part 3 episode 3

if they didn't make it clear enough in the episode it will be in Egypt. we end with walk like an Egyptian :p

Reading through the episode discussion of Erased - 11 on reddit I'm actually once again reminded by just how damn immature the (vocal?) anime audience is at large. Apparently a lot of people are genuinely upset that
Hinazuki ended up getting together with Hiromi instead of waiting for Satoru who's been in a coma for...oh you know, only 15 years.
It wasn't even a thought on my mind that people could take a problem with that. But then, what would you expect of people who might claim to do all this waifu talk just for a laugh but obviously take it far more seriously than healthy.

Jarmel

Banned
hahahaha at that Erased OP.

That was like the clumsiest shit they could have done. Now the whole thing just looks stupid. If they were going to be coy about this then do a new OP from scratch or be more clever about altering it.

Durarara X2 34

Well it took 34 or so episodes but Mikado and Masomi finally meet each other face to face. And we're drawing closer and closer to the climax.

Cornbread78

hahahaha at that Erased OP.

That was like the clumsiest shit they could have done. Now the whole thing just looks stupid. If they were going to be coy about this then do a new OP from scratch or be more clever about altering it.

Well, obviously they just gave away next weeks episode,
where he is killed
....If that is the case, that really pisses me off and I rarely get pissed at little things like that.

Reading through the episode discussion of Erased - 11 on reddit I'm actually once again reminded by just how damn immature the (vocal?) anime audience is at large. Apparently a lot of people are genuinely upset that
Hinazuki ended up getting together with Hiromi instead of waiting for Satoru who's been in a coma for...oh you know, only 15 years.
It wasn't even a thought on my mind that people could take a problem with that. But then, what would you expect of people who might claim to do all this waifu talk just for a laugh but obviously take it far more seriously than healthy.

I wasn't mad at the show for doing it that way at all. I just felt bad for Satoru, I mean, that was his waifu and all.... That stung a little.

House of Five Leaves 3

The storyboard for this episode had some problems. There were some pointless Dutch angles, a real pet peeve of mine, and some lapses in visual logic which made the episode a bit hard to follow in places. I'm not too much a fan of the way the music is being used either. It tends to wander in and out in a way that blends scenes together and makes the whole thing feel a bit like a dream state. Perhaps that's the intent, but it doesn't do it for me.

I do like the voice acting. That's done pretty well.

Line_HTX

Erased ep.11
I don't even know how to feel about that episode; it was excellent and the
Kayo
part was really good, but it kinda broke my heart for
Satoru.
Best mom continues to be best mom,
but now, how is he going to get out of the situation he is in? At least he spent some time working his butt off to try and get back together physically.
Airi has to be completely out of the timeline, now, right? I kept thinking there was a link there between the time leaps, but I guess not., unless she is the one that rushes to save the day somehow, but he wouldn't know her, so
.... Dammit, I have to wait another week now!
Does she even exist anymore? :p

The calendar that was spotted said 2003, not 2006, plus they said he was out for 15 years, which means he's not back to where he was 29 yet.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm going to wait it out a week but my first reaction to Erased-11 is that there a shitload of convenient plot points and a bunch of wasted runtime in previous episodes.

Oh and nuance has again left the station. "That's you, Satoru". No fucking shit, I had no goddamn clue that the hamster you were talking about for two minutes could be a metaphor for the current situation.

Mailbox

Ojisan and Marshmallow Episode 11

Really? Thats the episode we get after episode 10's fucking crazy ass twists?

I have to say, I'm horribly disappointed that we didn't get any answers and instead got a really pointless onsen episode...

phaze

Did that meme ever come up here at all? Because I can't remember any such thing.

Not here. It's been pretty prevalent onon /a/ at one point.(I imagine it was when the manga chapter released?)and it's back in full force now. Now that I think of it, I
managed to forgot getting spoiled on the whole coma thing.

In retrospect, it's funny that after the first few episodes and watching ED, I thought Satoru would die halfway and the second half would be about Kayo somehow inheriting/revival and getting back in time to save him.

Clicking on this spoiler out of mere curiosity, those all seems like perfectly normal reactions to me.

I mean, why shouldn't people get upset that
the girl the MC tried to protect throughout the entire series not end up getting together with him in the end?

It's a normal feeling of getting invested in a character and wanting him to succeed, and the disappointment that follows when he doesn't.

I mean yeah, if they act like their entire life is ruined because of it then there's a problem there, but it seems unfair to dismiss general disappointment as immaturity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom